KG to Retire?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Re: KG to Retire?

edcap99, you're absolutely right about Dallas having ONE important injury.  My point is that no team faced as many injuries.  Dallas have ONE, player out.  We had Shaq, JON most of the year, Delonte most of the year, Perk half the year, Semih every other game, Rondo in the playoffs, 'Quis's accident, BBD's knee, etc.   You really aren't comparing Dallas's one injury to our list of injuries, right?

Damfuno - you know who was number 1 in the league in points allowed?  Guess who was tied for number 2 in the league for opponents field goal percentage?  Yes, the Celtics in both cases.....without Thibbs (and without Perk nor Tony Allen who I wish we had this year!!).  But, maybe you're right, maybe our D never stopped the Heat at critical times.  Is that Thibbs or is that the fact that Lebron and Wade together are different than just Lebron or Wade alone like in last year's series?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In Response to Re: KG to Retire?:
    In Response to Re: KG to Retire? : Jack Edwards, the Bruins play by play guy was on WEEI a couple of times this week and each time he said something that I think is absolutely true and something that I have been saying for years on this board. He said being in Boston fans tend to view things, whether a win or a loss, that it resulted from something the home team did - so when they win it was not because the other team had a bad night - it was because the Bruins / Cs / Sox / Pats did something to dictate the outcome and when it is a loss it was of course something the Bruins / Cs / Sox / Pats did. The idea that the result was as a result of something the opponent did is just a foreign concept to most fans. The Heat are a better team. period.  Younger, more athletic, and so on.  The Cs were supposed to have a distinct advantage at the 1 and the 5 and the 1 and the 5 were largely irrelevant in the series because the Heat dictated what was going to happen. I wish people could think this way but then again how would we have endless moronic threads and posts about any number of subjects?
    Posted by TheDUDDER

Yes, we do have to give Miami their proper respect.  They are showing the world that their have huge talent and that this much talent in the prime of their careers is tough to beat.  We lost a lot of effectiveness at the 1 position due to Rondo's injury and we also lost a lot of effectiveness at the 5 position due to Shaq's injury. Between the injuries and miami's great play, its easy to see why we lost.

But back to the point - KG will NOT give up and neither will Paul and Ray and Doc and Rondo.  Danny is the only one who may give up and make a major change.  The others will believe in themselves until the end.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MinnesotaCelticsFan. Show MinnesotaCelticsFan's posts

If, as Jackie says, that many of the NBA teams are losing money, and a lock-out is inevitable, then retiring, and giving up money may not matter. While it is likely that desperate millionaires will give in before desperate billionaires, the disparity between the two sides is large enough to make the lock-out last the entire season. If it does, then KG could easily retire.

The wild card here is Doc. With his new five year contract, and his love for KG's defense, Doc could coax KG in to coming back for a reduced amount, after 2012. KG has shown, through out his career, that loyalty is very important to him, and KG loves to play for Doc.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

If, as Jackie says, that many of the NBA teams are losing money, and a lock-out is inevitable, then retiring, and giving up money may not matter. While it is likely that desperate millionaires will give in before desperate billionaires, the disparity between the two sides is large enough to make the lock-out last the entire season. If it does, then KG could easily retire. The wild card here is Doc. With his new five year contract, and his love for KG's defense, Doc could coax KG in to coming back for a reduced amount, after 2012. KG has shown, through out his career, that loyalty is very important to him, and KG loves to play for Doc.
    Posted by MinnesotaCelticsFan

I agree that if their is no NBA next year, many players for the Celtics and other older players may decide to retire.  I hope it doesn't happen, but is definitely possible. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

I think they are not up to something now, but doing exactly what they say -- transitioning. Now if a great trade was presented, Danny said he would do that, but I don't think they plan to force something like that this year.  Further, the seemingly inevitable lockout helps the Celitcs a lot next year since it would save the Big 3 tons of regular season minutes and with a better, healthier bench, you could see how  management might be thinking the team could look a lot stronger (literally) in the playoffs after a shortened regular season.  This year's Celtic team went from really good to a bubble team with the loss of Shaq and Quis; a good (not great) big man and a 3 who could come of the bench and score points and defend.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: KG to Retire? : The older you get the more prone you are to injuries. So it's not a coincidence that the Celts are suffering from all sorts of injuries. 
    Posted by Fiercest34

Only 1 of the big 3 had an injury this year

DWest, Perk, Baby, Daniels, Wafer, Rondo, Semih and Nate are all in their 20's and half of them had worse injury woe's than KG this season.

Was just a tough year for injuries, age really irrelevant except for relying on shaq. Even JON suffered the initial knee injury he's had several surgeries on when he was like 28 years old.

We knew back in 09 that going forward KG was to either miss a dozen games a year w/ the knee acting up, or should be rested a dozen games even if healthy. He should have been played only 24-28 mins  in the reg season so his body was bale to play 34-38 mins in the playoffs Danny failed to get a deeper team to allow that.

It was burning them out w/ 30+ mins and not have a good Center and bench, one that kept them both rested and us able to get the 1 or 2 seed that doomed the season. Although w/o all those nagging injuries to all the above mentioned guys in their 20's who knows how many more reg season games we'd have won.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

From leaving the game for a a few years to signing 5 years just seems suspicious.  I mean 7 million a year will do that.  He could easily retire for life after a contract like that and would set his families future as well, but you really have to look at why he would sign such a long deal.  He could have easily went to Orlando, or LA and may have been given more. 

The one thing that I really see happening is some sort of big move.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: KG to Retire? : Yes, we do have to give Miami their proper respect.  They are showing the world that their have huge talent and that this much talent in the prime of their careers is tough to beat.  We lost a lot of effectiveness at the 1 position due to Rondo's injury and we also lost a lot of effectiveness at the 5 position due to Shaq's injury. Between the injuries and miami's great play, its easy to see why we lost. But back to the point - KG will NOT give up and neither will Paul and Ray and Doc and Rondo.  Danny is the only one who may give up and make a major change.  The others will believe in themselves until the end.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life

Interesting because I think if you could get the BIG 3 to be absolutely honest without potentially hurting anyone's feelings, they would love to have any number of point guards running the team other than Rondo.

Rondo embarrassed himself against Bibby in game 1 and I love all the revisionist history that somehow ignores the fact that the Heat won games 1 and 2 easily but somehow Rondo's injury may have had some sort of affect on the series - the series was over before Rondo got hurt but somehow it will go down as one of the greatest performances in history.  They were comfortably ahead when Rondo went down and they were comfortably ahead when he came back. 

I think it would have gone 7 had Rondo not been injured but somehow in consecutive years injuries to none of the BIG 3 are the reasons the Cs will not win a title.

There was supposedly some sort of reaching out to everyone of any consequence re. the Perk trade blah blah blah but IMO if there was some sort of behind closed doors re. a Rondo trade they would say yes to any number of players - namely just about anyone that could shoot.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from c.wright. Show c.wright's posts

Wrong person Shaq is the one who should retire, KG still has a lot
    of game left in him, maybe not as many mins. but he is a major
    piece for the C's....That is up to KG, hopes he sticks around at
    least another season.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In Response to Re: KG to Retire? : Interesting because I think if you could get the BIG 3 to be absolutely honest without potentially hurting anyone's feelings, they would love to have any number of point guards running the team other than Rondo. Rondo embarrassed himself against Bibby in game 1 and I love all the revisionist history that somehow ignores the fact that the Heat won games 1 and 2 easily but somehow Rondo's injury may have had some sort of affect on the series - the series was over before Rondo got hurt but somehow it will go down as one of the greatest performances in history.  They were comfortably ahead when Rondo went down and they were comfortably ahead when he came back.  I think it would have gone 7 had Rondo not been injured but somehow in consecutive years injuries to none of the BIG 3 are the reasons the Cs will not win a title. There was supposedly some sort of reaching out to everyone of any consequence re. the Perk trade blah blah blah but IMO if there was some sort of behind closed doors re. a Rondo trade they would say yes to any number of players - namely just about anyone that could shoot.
    Posted by TheDUDDER

Dudder, neither you nor I nor anyone else will ever know whether Rondo's being healthy would have kept us from turnovers and helped us run plays more efficiently in Game 4 and 5.  In the end, we lost and there's no sense in debating what WOULD have happened.  I have the opposite opinion from you, but clearly, its just my opinion.  Let's (neither you nor I) pretend we would know what would have happened.

Also, maybe you're right.  Maybe the Big 3 would admit in a quiet moment that they'd rather have Chris Paul or Deron Williams.  but, I think that list would be very short.  They love what Rondo gives them and folks like Westbrook and Rose would be too selfish while folks like Nash and Billups would be too old.  Without knowing what in their minds, I can only go by their word that they are all VERY close so it would take a tremendously talented individual to make them say they'd rather someone other than Rondo.

Unlike you, they could genuinely like Rondo.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: KG to Retire? : Dudder, neither you nor I nor anyone else will ever know whether Rondo's being healthy would have kept us from turnovers and helped us run plays more efficiently in Game 4 and 5.  In the end, we lost and there's no sense in debating what WOULD have happened.  I have the opposite opinion from you, but clearly, its just my opinion.  Let's (neither you nor I) pretend we would know what would have happened. Also, maybe you're right.  Maybe the Big 3 would admit in a quiet moment that they'd rather have Chris Paul or Deron Williams.  but, I think that list would be very short.  They love what Rondo gives them and folks like Westbrook and Rose would be too selfish while folks like Nash and Billups would be too old.  Without knowing what in their minds, I can only go by their word that they are all VERY close so it would take a tremendously talented individual to make them say they'd rather someone other than Rondo. Unlike you, they could genuinely like Rondo.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life

Yes it seems very likely that the team that won 4 of the last 5 meetings would have lost the next 4 of 5 meetings had Rondo not been injured......

Westbrook / Rose too selfish or much, much, much, much, much better for the team by taking the pressure off the offense.

People like you are completely blinded by the Cs having one of the worst offenses in the league and think that it is ok.  While having one of the premier players in the league that could lead a team when someone else is having an off night is really, really, really bad thing..... lmao roftl.....

Hey KG - Bosh who is supposed to be one of the softest guys in the league do you think I should take over?  Yes Derick, Russell, Deron, etc. go ahead.

Hey Paul - sick of being double teamed, do you think I should get to the line rim and shoot 15 free throws and make 90% of them?  Yes Russell, Chris, Derick go ahead.

Hey Ray - I know that I am waiting and waiting and waiting for you to get open and I know it takes 3 or 4 screens because nobody will guard me, should I make these wide open uncontested jumpers including some dagger 3s?  Yes Deron go ahead.....

Please... that is just the short list using just a few of the guys that you mention.

Somehow it is a bad thing that Kidd or Nash are old and that somehow would have cost them #18 - Rondo cost them #18 last year.

Those are just a few basic examples of players that would have put them over the top, the longer list inclues many other point guards that would have made them at least as good if not better.

The degree to which Rondo can be overrated cannot be overstated.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schleprechaun. Show Schleprechaun's posts

In Response to Re: KG to Retire? : Jack Edwards, the Bruins play by play guy was on WEEI a couple of times this week and each time he said something that I think is absolutely true and something that I have been saying for years on this board. He said being in Boston fans tend to view things, whether a win or a loss, that it resulted from something the home team did - so when they win it was not because the other team had a bad night - it was because the Bruins / Cs / Sox / Pats did something to dictate the outcome and when it is a loss it was of course something the Bruins / Cs / Sox / Pats did. The idea that the result was as a result of something the opponent did is just a foreign concept to most fans. The Heat are a better team. period.  Younger, more athletic, and so on.  The Cs were supposed to have a distinct advantage at the 1 and the 5 and the 1 and the 5 were largely irrelevant in the series because the Heat dictated what was going to happen. I wish people could think this way but then again how would we have endless moronic threads and posts about any number of subjects?
    Posted by TheDUDDER

And it would put an end to moronic posts about how "Boston" sports fans behave in some horrible way that other sports fans do not. What Dudder is describing is HUMAN NATURE. People tend to think they have an effect on the outcome of things, maybe to a greater than they think they do.
    Duh, Dudder. This post is as bad as any MORONIC thread you can name.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In Response to Re: KG to Retire? : Yes it seems very likely that the team that won 4 of the last 5 meetings would have lost the next 4 of 5 meetings had Rondo not been injured...... Westbrook / Rose too selfish or much, much, much, much, much better for the team by taking the pressure off the offense. People like you are completely blinded by the Cs having one of the worst offenses in the league and think that it is ok.  While having one of the premier players in the league that could lead a team when someone else is having an off night is really, really, really bad thing..... lmao roftl..... Hey KG - Bosh who is supposed to be one of the softest guys in the league do you think I should take over?  Yes Derick, Russell, Deron, etc. go ahead. Hey Paul - sick of being double teamed, do you think I should get to the line rim and shoot 15 free throws and make 90% of them?  Yes Russell, Chris, Derick go ahead. Hey Ray - I know that I am waiting and waiting and waiting for you to get open and I know it takes 3 or 4 screens because nobody will guard me, should I make these wide open uncontested jumpers including some dagger 3s?  Yes Deron go ahead..... Please... that is just the short list using just a few of the guys that you mention. Somehow it is a bad thing that Kidd or Nash are old and that somehow would have cost them #18 - Rondo cost them #18 last year. Those are just a few basic examples of players that would have put them over the top, the longer list inclues many other point guards that would have made them at least as good if not better. The degree to which Rondo can be overrated cannot be overstated.
    Posted by TheDUDDER

Dudder, if you're such a hater, why do you continue to post here.  Just go away since you think everything about the C's is so terrible.  Your hate for Rondo is so deep and so blinded that you must have something personal going on.   What causes a person to be so hateful toward one player?  The C's had the best shooting percentage in the league and about 2nd in assists and you say they are one of the worst offensive teams in the league - then you go on to explain its all because of one player, Rondo.  Wow - that's a lot of hate, man.

Please, Dudder, just stop posting if you can't be objective.  I can understand why someone might not love Rondo or say he's not the best in the league or even that he's overrated.  But to go on and on and on and on and say the C's have one of the worst offenses in the league is truly blind.   I could explain in so many ways why you are wrong but we all know that discussing any topic with you that says anything positive is just a waste of time given your negative views.

Please, we all know how down you are on Rondo.  So, you've made your point 50,000 times.  Please just go away now - we understand your opinion.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

The Celtic's lost because their replacement for Perk was Shaq and we all know how that turned out.

Rondo played with a dislocated elbow and is an All Star, trying to dispute that is like pissing into the wind though some people try...

KG doesn't walk, Doc resigned for long term; if I'm Dwight Howard there's no better starting 5 than Rondo, Allen, Pierce, KG and Howard. 

Damfuno has a good point they definitely missed Thibs, but a human eraser like Howard in the middle could disappear some of the age in those old legs.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BoylestonBB. Show BoylestonBB's posts

My belief is that Danny Ainge has this view – the team is either competing for a championship of building to compete for wining a championship.  Currently our team is doing neither and therefore I would expect changes sooner rather than later.  

KG has been around long enough to know that Danny is less risk adverse than most GMs and while I do not think KG will retire, he is the type of person who would consider it seriously rather than be around a team being torn down for the future or than being in a situation where he is jettisoned to another team for his final year(s).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

His play and then his behavior after the final game could signal something big like retirement.  He had nothing to say and that said a lot.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Laker-Nation32. Show Laker-Nation32's posts

For once the big mouth and nothing to say....good riddance to the clown if he retires.

He'll always be known as a western conference loser!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MinnesotaCelticsFan. Show MinnesotaCelticsFan's posts

Laker,

you are not a fool, you are less than dirt under Magics feet.

KG only comes back if their is a chance of winning banner number 18, and if he feels that he can contribute at a very high level.

Doc will be the one to invite him back.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from aznefn. Show aznefn's posts

The Celtic's lost because their replacement for Perk was Shaq and we all know how that turned out. Rondo played with a dislocated elbow and is an All Star, trying to dispute that is like pissing into the wind though some people try... KG doesn't walk, Doc resigned for long term; if I'm Dwight Howard there's no better starting 5 than Rondo, Allen, Pierce, KG and Howard.  Damfuno has a good point they definitely missed Thibs, but a human eraser like Howard in the middle could disappear some of the age in those old legs.
    Posted by wozzy

True and the offense could run through Howard , and no matter how old the big 3 are they hit open shots better then most period.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

His play and then his behavior after the final game could signal something big like retirement.  He had nothing to say and that said a lot.
    Posted by concord27

So when have you ever known KG to say a lot after a series loss?   He never is a big talker to the press - only when forced to do interviews.   I would not take his normal silence after a series loss to mean anything except "I'm pissed that we lost".

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

By the way, on the KG retiring topic, here's his blog for that Chinese Shoe Company he supports.  This was a few days after the C's lost:  

As you know, we were knocked out of the playoffs by Miami. It’s unfortunate that we are out and in my mind didn’t reach our potential. Taking the last couple of days to think about things and the season was long. Their were ups and downs all season and dealing with teammates, leaving teammates, gaining teammates. Long hours, flights, practices, workouts, etc. Another season under my belt, but not satisfying. I’ll be getting back to the “lab” (workouts and court work) to work on my craft, so I can keep improving. I will be working on my skills and constantly trying to get better.

Quick shout out to my man [Shaquille O'Neal], who is the best.  He worked hard all season, but couldn’t get his Achilles right.

Sound like a guy who's contemplating retirement?  To me, sounds like a guy who was not satisfied with what went on and wants redemption and a chance at stability during the season.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Celts4life,
    Sounds like you found something that says he will be back.  KG is welcome back.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: KG to Retire? : True and the offense could run through Howard , and no matter how old the big 3 are they hit open shots better then most period.
    Posted by aznefn

And then in the same fantasy world the BIG 3 would retire and Howard would be left scratching his head wondering why he didn't go to a team with young talent......... or he will go to a team with young talent and skip the whole fantasy world thing.......

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dhajra. Show dhajra's posts

I would be surprised if KG did not come back next year.  Based on his own blog entry after the playoff exit (somebody posted the link here, I forget who), it sounded like he was disappointed with the way the season ended, and he was going to get back to work and get himself in shape for next year.

The only thing I can see that might prevent him from coming back would be if there is an extended lockout.  That might make him think about retiring.  I don't think KG is the kind of player who wants to go out like the team did this year.

Sections
Shortcuts