KG's comments

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

KG's comments

I like what KG said, "this is the time when plastic people melt."

LOL! That's right and we have several people that may melt if we don't get this thing straight soon...including the coach.

It's no time for all out panic because I think the C's look at it like this. As long as they are one of the top 4 seeds they can repeat what they did last year. All it takes is one road win and the higher seed loses home court advantage. The C's have proven in the past they can go on the road and get a win. This is a different team but I think they still believe it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

Re: KG's comments

But losing to one of the worst teams in the West is unacceptable. Years past the Celtics used to dominate these teams. Stop fooling ourselves believing they are good when they are not. Age and a lack of athleticism. Athletic teams will kill the Celtics. I hope I'm wrong, who knows.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to ANONMD08's comment:

But losing to one of the worst teams in the West is unacceptable. Years past the Celtics used to dominate these teams. Stop fooling ourselves believing they are good when they are not. Age and a lack of athleticism. Athletic teams will kill the Celtics. I hope I'm wrong, who knows.

Unless Bradley is a transformative player,  you are right, the two best players are old and the rest of the team are reluctant role players.

I also believe the big man they need to get is not going to come.  What we have to offer is just not enough.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

KG is one to talk.  Honestly, in my opinion, he's part of the problem although it isn't totally his fault that he's too old.  But I do believe KG is capable of contributing more.  KG has reached 10 rebounds only twice in the past 10 games and before that he had a ZERO rebound game and a ONE rebound game.  And he hasn't scored at a consistent pace either considering he's the team's 2nd scoring option.

KG's rebounds, assists, blocks and steals numbers are his worst since his rookie year (some are the worst in his career).  The Celtics cannot be successful with him averaging 14 points and 7 rebounds, especially when we're not getting much from the other big (either the C - Collins or PF - Bass when KG is at center).

There is no way that KG should not be able to score 17 per game with a few 20-25 point games thrown in.  What we're getting is 10-14 points per game with a few 16-18 point games thrown in as well as a few 6-8 point games.

He can be more aggressive offensively if he stopped settling exclusively for fallaway and mid-range jumpers.

And I, for one, have concerns with what to do with KG after we get that BIG to come in and provide that inside presence.  KG at this stage in his career, cannot guard the PFs in today's game.  He's too slow and not physical enough.  And he's not interested in taking anyone down into the post.  When we get that big, what will become of KG?  I mean, he's exclusively a perimeter jump shooter now.  So he'll be an exclusively perimeter jump shooter who cannot guard the PFs he'll need to guard to get far in the playoffs.

KG's stats for the past 10 games.

Minutes Points Rebounds Assists   Dallas W 117-115 OT 40 16 5 2   at Houston L 101-89 27 14 5 2   at San Antonio L 103-88 30 13 6 3   at Chicago L 100-89 25 10 8 0 Noah triple double Cleveland W 103-91 31 12 6 3   Milwaukee L 99-94 OT 38 12 7 1 sanders dominated at Brooklyn W 93-76 29 8 10 1   at LA Clippers L 106-77 26 16 4 3   at Golden State L 101-83 23 6 3 4   at Sacramento L 118-96 28 16 12 6  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

In response to Petey62's comment:

KG is one to talk.  Honestly, in my opinion, he's part of the problem although it isn't totally his fault that he's too old.  But I do believe KG is capable of contributing more.  KG has reached 10 rebounds only twice in the past 10 games and before that he had a ZERO rebound game and a ONE rebound game.  And he hasn't scored at a consistent pace either considering he's the team's 2nd scoring option.

KG's rebounds, assists, blocks and steals numbers are his worst since his rookie year (some are the worst in his career).  The Celtics cannot be successful with him averaging 14 points and 7 rebounds, especially when we're not getting much from the other big (either the C - Collins or PF - Bass when KG is at center).

There is no way that KG should not be able to score 17 per game with a few 20-25 point games thrown in.  What we're getting is 10-14 points per game with a few 16-18 point games thrown in as well as a few 6-8 point games.

He can be more aggressive offensively if he stopped settling exclusively for fallaway and mid-range jumpers.

And I, for one, have concerns with what to do with KG after we get that BIG to come in and provide that inside presence.  KG at this stage in his career, cannot guard the PFs in today's game.  He's too slow and not physical enough.  And he's not interested in taking anyone down into the post.  When we get that big, what will become of KG?  I mean, he's exclusively a perimeter jump shooter now.  So he'll be an exclusively perimeter jump shooter who cannot guard the PFs he'll need to guard to get far in the playoffs.

Minutes Points Rebounds Assists   Dallas W 117-115 OT 40 16 5 2   at Houston L 101-89 27 14 5 2   at San Antonio L 103-88 30 13 6 3   at Chicago L 100-89 25 10 8 0 Noah triple double Cleveland W 103-91 31 12 6 3   Milwaukee L 99-94 OT 38 12 7 1 sanders dominated at Brooklyn W 93-76 29 8 10 1   at LA Clippers L 106-77 26 16 4 3   at Golden State L 101-83 23 6 3 4   at Sacramento L 118-96 28 16 12 6  

Absolutely correct.  Offensively, he's not playing in the post like he did after the all-star break last year.  If he had continued to be a perimeter player last year, the Celtics never would have resigned him....or at least not for 11 million over 3 years.  They probably would have viewed him more as a role player, which he is now.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

In response to ANONMD08's comment:

Are
    'nt the Celts an athletic team this year???

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

I think you'll are wrong about KG. Have you'll seen the stats of our defense when KG is in the game? It's night and day. If we didn't have KG we'd be giving up 110 points a game.

KG's points aren't what's important to this team, it's his presence. Just because Doc plays him at the 5 don't expect KG to put up 20 & 10, he's not that kind of player. He can be effective getting 15 & 8...but he's a natural 4, not a 5.

We aren't winning because of our defense not our offense. If we can get AB back and have him and KG manning the defense inside and out we're going to improve.

Furthermore Doc is the one who plays him 5,5,5,5. This may work sometimes but Doc never goes away from it. KG's numbers could be bigger but playing 5 mins to start the game isn't giving him time to get into a groove...those aren't starter minutes.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

BirdLewsBias, KG's presence is important to the Celtics, no doubt.  But don't underestimate how important his offensive numbers are to the success of the Celtics.  This team not only needs his defensive presence but they also need more of a contribution from him offensively.

KG is not a consistent offensive contributor right now.  He's too up and down.  And our defense is still bad (worse with KG on the bench) with KG in the game.

KG played 28 minutes against Sac and had 16 points, 12 rebounds and 6 assists.  He can come out any night and drop that - STILL!

We are not winning because we cannot stop anyone.  But don't minimize that fact that we are not able to score consistently either.  That, too, is a major reason for our demise.  It's not just our defense.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

But I love what KG is saying because when asked to point fingers, he only pointed at himself saying he needed to do more.  That's why I love the guy.  He  gives his all and when that's not enough, he tries to come up with ways to do something different - which he did last year when he played SO much better in the second half of the year.   KG is not playing a lot of minutes and I agree with the move (remember most on the Board cried about and pleaded with Doc play him less..... so I hope folks don't rewrite history and forget that almost everyone wanted Doc to play him less).   Some of his stats declining come from less minutes.  

KG today isn't KG of 2008, but KG of today is still better than most players.   He just can't do it by himself. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to Celtsfan4life's comment:

But I love what KG is saying because when asked to point fingers, he only pointed at himself saying he needed to do more.  That's why I love the guy.  He  gives his all and when that's not enough, he tries to come up with ways to do something different - which he did last year when he played SO much better in the second half of the year.   KG is not playing a lot of minutes and I agree with the move (remember most on the Board cried about and pleaded with Doc play him less..... so I hope folks don't rewrite history and forget that almost everyone wanted Doc to play him less).   Some of his stats declining come from less minutes.  

KG today isn't KG of 2008, but KG of today is still better than most players.   He just can't do it by himself. 

KG needs help, the question is will he get it.  The pieces we have to offer like Bass, Lee, and even Green have lost value the last couple of weeks. Coupled with their high long term salaries you have wonder who is going to want them.  Sullinger, Melo, Bradley and draft picks have much more allure to them now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

KG doesn't need help.  The Celtics need help.  We can get rebounding help the way we rebounded against New Jersey - team rebounding.  In that one game (2nd half), you could see what the Celtics are capable of from a rebounding standpoint.  For some odd reason, we have failed to commit to doing that night in and night out.

The Celtics need help in the post.  KG has not been the post defender or scorer that we thought he'd be from the 2nd half of last season and the playoffs.  He just has not been that center in the paint.  Although our guards have allowed alot of dribble penetration, that does not excuse nights like Noah (triple double) and Larry Sanders (20 rebounds in a dominating performance) had against KG. 

We can get scoring help if Rondo got more aggressive offensively and assumed more of the scoring burden (2 points on ANY night won't get it), Terry settled in and became more consistent, Jeff Green could become more of a consistent scorer as well as KG and Pierce.

The common thread there is all perimeter, nothing on the interior.  That is what we need more from KG and whenever we can add a big.  But we have this idea that some big will step in and all of or problems will be solved and I'm just not convinced of that.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

Petey, I hear what you're saying but here's the bigger problem. The starting unit doesn't have RA anymore and Terry hasn't lived up to his position of a SG. So now we're really in trouble on the offensive end because NOW people want KG to score more and he's really doing the same things he's always done. We need scoring production from our backcourt. Doc should be in Rondo's ear  about looking to score more...he wanted Allen gone so now it's up to him to pick up his scoring. If we aren't going to get scoring from Rondo & Terry, this is why I keep wanting Green to start at SF and move PP to SG, leaving Terry as the 6th man. Now we have more scoring in the starters. KG isn't the problem...it's our backcourts inability to score.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from red2004sox. Show red2004sox's posts

Once Bradley is back, your starting unit is back.  Ray was coming off the bench and that is Terry's only effective role.  He has never been effective as a starter in his career.  You can't teach an old dog new tricks.  The Celtics need Bradleys defensive intensity to start games and keep other teams from getting so comfortable so quick.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

Im not sold on AB's offensive abilities.  

Im in the camp of bring Pierce and KG off the bench where they can dominate second units.

Start Rondo, Bradley, Green, Sullinger, and Collins(until we get a better big).  Jason Terry first off the bench, then PP and KG.  Time to shake things up.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to jdm894g's comment:

Im not sold on AB's offensive abilities.  

Im in the camp of bring Pierce and KG off the bench where they can dominate second units.

Start Rondo, Bradley, Green, Sullinger, and Collins(until we get a better big).  Jason Terry first off the bench, then PP and KG.  Time to shake things up.

We will see tomorrow night if Bradley will transform this team.  Hopefully he will. The Grizzlies are really good.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

KG doesn't need help.  The Celtics need help.  We can get rebounding help the way we rebounded against New Jersey - team rebounding.  In that one game (2nd half), you could see what the Celtics are capable of from a rebounding standpoint.  For some odd reason, we have failed to commit to doing that night in and night out.

The Celtics need help in the post.  KG has not been the post defender or scorer that we thought he'd be from the 2nd half of last season and the playoffs.  He just has not been that center in the paint.  Although our guards have allowed alot of dribble penetration, that does not excuse nights like Noah (triple double) and Larry Sanders (20 rebounds in a dominating performance) had against KG. 

We can get scoring help if Rondo got more aggressive offensively and assumed more of the scoring burden (2 points on ANY night won't get it), Terry settled in and became more consistent, Jeff Green could become more of a consistent scorer as well as KG and Pierce.

The common thread there is all perimeter, nothing on the interior.  That is what we need more from KG and whenever we can add a big.  But we have this idea that some big will step in and all of or problems will be solved and I'm just not convinced of that.

Petey, when have you ever seen a wire thin guy who's in his mid 30's post up bigger and stronger players in the post?   You're asking the impossible of KG.  MJ, Kobe, Bird, Dr. J, Ewing, Barkley, and so many others all learned as they got older they did not have the legs and strength to take on bigger guys underneath.  They all developed outside jumpers and more fade away jumpers.   It happens, man, and its called Father Time.  Let's not hope to turn back some magical clock on KG.  He will NOT be an inside scoring machine.  It was never a major part of his game and as he got older, its not going to get better.  He's also not going to out quick and out jump nor out muscle Noah and Sanders and Dwight Howard, etc.   Instead, he needs help from the entire team and the team needs a big man to battle the other team's big men.

As for Rondo - I agree with you there.  He needs to score more and reduce the load.  He can also free up others if he forces the defense to pay attention to him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In response to BirdLewsBias' comment:

Petey, I hear what you're saying but here's the bigger problem. The starting unit doesn't have RA anymore and Terry hasn't lived up to his position of a SG. So now we're really in trouble on the offensive end because NOW people want KG to score more and he's really doing the same things he's always done. We need scoring production from our backcourt. Doc should be in Rondo's ear  about looking to score more...he wanted Allen gone so now it's up to him to pick up his scoring. If we aren't going to get scoring from Rondo & Terry, this is why I keep wanting Green to start at SF and move PP to SG, leaving Terry as the 6th man. Now we have more scoring in the starters. KG isn't the problem...it's our backcourts inability to score.

I like your plan to start the game.   Bass brings very little to a starting role.   If Green isn't going to start, then start Sully, but Bass is a waste.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Bradley could help or harm... one game wont matter no matter what he does,,,

Hes out a long time.. so nothing in the bag

KG isnt what he was.. his minutes also down too and his flo prob a mess.. but hes still usually good team deender.. does get beat off the dribbble and is clumsey/weak under the basket

Gotta love his sttitude though... Great teammate and on floor/practice coach.. Doc should be taking notes

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

BirdLewisBias and Celtsfan, I agree that we have to get more from others (Rondo, Terry, etc.).   I was posting about KG's comments and him saying we'll see plastic people melt.

He isn't playing like steel himself.  He played like steel during the 2nd half of last season and the playoffs but he's a far cry short of that performance so far this season.  In my honest opinion, he's played like butter far too much this season and thus have melted already on occasion.

I don't expect KG to "out quick" Noah but Milwaukee's Larry Sanders?  Come on, I expect KG to compete and "get his".  I expect KG to challenge these guys because they aren't threats in any particular area.  I DON'T expect KG to get completely dominated and made to look like he's not even on the court.  I don't expect KG to end any game with ZERO rebounds.  I don't expect KG to end any game with 8 points.

KG is our second scoring option and our defensive anchor.  I'd venture to guess that Noah and Sanders don't believe that hype.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

SMH I just think we're focused on the wrong thing. KG is far from the problem...very far.

The difference in this year and last year is this. We were this same type of team last year...underachieving. As soon as Doc stuck AB in the starting lineup that's when all the chemistry problems went away. RA was coming off the bench, our defense improved and we were on our way. Then AB goes down in the playoffs and we go right back to being mediocre. Everyone will go back to their regular roles and focusing on KGs scoring will not be an issue.

The problem is defense, defense, defense. I think we tend to underestimate ABs defense. Now we have someone to cover guys like Holiday, Ellis and Wade and not expect Terry or Lee to do it. Lee becomes expendable Please don't focus on ABs offense, it's his defense that we need. We let the Kings score 118  points...that's unacceptable

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

BirdLewsBias, you are 100% correct that KG is far from the "PRIMARY" problem.  But he, like many other players, their performances are part of the the overall problem with the Celtics this season.  But yes, KG is far down on the blame list.

Again, I was merely commenting on the subject of this thread.  You're right, if this post was "What's wrong with the Celtics", KG would be far from the top of that list.  However, this thread is about his comments and I simply believe he himself has melted more this season than usual.

Who knows, maybe he was talking about himself.  You make valid points about the overall state of the Celtics but I'm just talking about the comments KG made and pointing out instances where he has been playing like butter.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

You're right Petey. I think KG's comments are basically putting guys on notice to step up or wilt in crunch time. KG has proven he doesn't wilt and he has the right to speak as the team leader. If we're expecting a 35 year old to lead in the stat column we are in trouble. He's their to make guys accountable, give leadership and post decent numbers when he can.

THe leader of this team is Rondo and he's not taking on the role very well IMO. Rondo needs to step up and produce...and not just in the assist column.  This is Rondo's team and he should be the one making those comments. Doc, KG, and PP are waiting for him to show he deserves that role.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

In response to BirdLewsBias' comment:

You're right Petey. I think KG's comments are basically putting guys on notice to step up or wilt in crunch time. KG has proven he doesn't wilt and he has the right to speak as the team leader. If we're expecting a 35 year old to lead in the stat column we are in trouble. He's their to make guys accountable, give leadership and post decent numbers when he can.

THe leader of this team is Rondo and he's not taking on the role very well IMO. Rondo needs to step up and produce...and not just in the assist column.  This is Rondo's team and he should be the one making those comments. Doc, KG, and PP are waiting for him to show he deserves that role.

On the 98 Bulls...wasn't it MJ and Pippen in their mid 30s leading the team?  Kerr was old, Rodman and Harper were old.  

What's the problem with our old geezers?

Sections
Shortcuts