KG's comments

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

Re: KG's comments

In response to Celtsfan4life's comment:

In response to Petey62's comment:

KG is one to talk.  Honestly, in my opinion, he's part of the problem although it isn't totally his fault that he's too old.  But I do believe KG is capable of contributing more.  KG has reached 10 rebounds only twice in the past 10 games and before that he had a ZERO rebound game and a ONE rebound game.  And he hasn't scored at a consistent pace either considering he's the team's 2nd scoring option.

KG's rebounds, assists, blocks and steals numbers are his worst since his rookie year (some are the worst in his career).  The Celtics cannot be successful with him averaging 14 points and 7 rebounds, especially when we're not getting much from the other big (either the C - Collins or PF - Bass when KG is at center).

There is no way that KG should not be able to score 17 per game with a few 20-25 point games thrown in.  What we're getting is 10-14 points per game with a few 16-18 point games thrown in as well as a few 6-8 point games.

He can be more aggressive offensively if he stopped settling exclusively for fallaway and mid-range jumpers.

And I, for one, have concerns with what to do with KG after we get that BIG to come in and provide that inside presence.  KG at this stage in his career, cannot guard the PFs in today's game.  He's too slow and not physical enough.  And he's not interested in taking anyone down into the post.  When we get that big, what will become of KG?  I mean, he's exclusively a perimeter jump shooter now.  So he'll be an exclusively perimeter jump shooter who cannot guard the PFs he'll need to guard to get far in the playoffs.

KG's stats for the past 10 games.

Minutes Points Rebounds Assists   Dallas W 117-115 OT 40 16 5 2   at Houston L 101-89 27 14 5 2   at San Antonio L 103-88 30 13 6 3   at Chicago L 100-89 25 10 8 0 Noah triple double Cleveland W 103-91 31 12 6 3   Milwaukee L 99-94 OT 38 12 7 1 sanders dominated at Brooklyn W 93-76 29 8 10 1   at LA Clippers L 106-77 26 16 4 3   at Golden State L 101-83 23 6 3 4   at Sacramento L 118-96 28 16 12 6  

But I love what KG is saying because when asked to point fingers, he only pointed at himself saying he needed to do more.  That's why I love the guy.  He  gives his all and when that's not enough, he tries to come up with ways to do something different - which he did last year when he played SO much better in the second half of the year.   KG is not playing a lot of minutes and I agree with the move (remember most on the Board cried about and pleaded with Doc play him less..... so I hope folks don't rewrite history and forget that almost everyone wanted Doc to play him less).   Some of his stats declining come from less minutes.  

KG today isn't KG of 2008, but KG of today is still better than most players.   He just can't do it by himself. 

I also love that he is not calling out anyone in particular...he is telling the team to put their big boy pants on...lol

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

"KG today isn't KG of 2008, but KG of today is still better than most players."

Not sure about that because Greg Smith, Tiago Splitter, and Larry Sanders all looked better than KG.

Actiually the right way to look at it is (Tiago Splitter+Tim Duncan) and (Larry Sanders+Ersan Illyasova) have looked better than (KG+Bass/Sullinger).  At this point in his career KG can't overcome teh deficiencies of a weak 4.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In response to prakash's comment:

Actiually the right way to look at it is (Tiago Splitter+Tim Duncan) and (Larry Sanders+Ersan Illyasova) have looked better than (KG+Bass/Sullinger).  At this point in his career KG can't overcome the deficiencies of a weak 4.

That may be true, but remember, KG was averaging 8.2 rpg, in the regular season, and 10.3 rpg, in the playoffs, last season. This season KG is only averaging 7.0 rpg.

Also, KG's career average in blocks is 1.5 bpg. This season KG's only averaging 0.7 bpg.

We can always find excuses if we look hard enough. The point is KG's not playing like someone being paid 11m per year.

I hear all that.  But I believe that KG is hampered by the search for the winning formula.  He can't go about his business with confidence.  Same with Paul Pierce.  Also fewer rebounds can also be because teams are scoring more on the Celts this year.

We can blame KG but here is the truth.  We can't expect KG to become what he has not been all through his career.  KG is not an inside banger.  He needs support from an inside banger to be really effective.  The Celts don't have that.

There is more that The Celts don't have.  They don't have any dead eye shooter on the team.  Courtney Lee has a long drawn out release and needs time to size up the rim.  So he is not a spacing threat.  Plus, he is not effective at driving to the rim.  Jason Terry also needs time to size up the rim.  That is why he is a better pull up shooter than a stand still shooter.  He too is not good at driving to the rim.

The fact is, the great players on the Celtics have become older and the new ones are limited.  There is good young potential on the team.  But that is not ready.  If Danny can trade young potential for young immediate help, I am all for it.  Otherwise, we can continue to blame KG and Paul Pierce but that will be unfair in my opinion.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

"KG today isn't KG of 2008, but KG of today is still better than most players."

Not sure about that because Greg Smith, Tiago Splitter, and Larry Sanders all looked better than KG.

Actiually the right way to look at it is (Tiago Splitter+Tim Duncan) and (Larry Sanders+Ersan Illyasova) have looked better than (KG+Bass/Sullinger).  At this point in his career KG can't overcome teh deficiencies of a weak 4.

EXACTLY!!!!

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

That may be true, but remember, KG was averaging 8.2 rpg, in the regular season, and 10.3 rpg, in the playoffs, last season. This season KG is only averaging 7.0 rpg.

Also, KG's career average in blocks is 1.5 bpg. This season KG's only averaging 0.7 bpg.

We can always find excuses if we look hard enough. The point is KG's not playing like someone being paid 11m per year.

Check out your own stats there, Fierce.  KG averaged 2.1 more Boards in the playoffs.  He will play more minutes in the playoffs and get more rebounds.    Right now, he's playing less minutes and getting less Boards.  Even at that, he's only averaging 1 less Board per game (per your own stats in your post!!).  That's not the difference between winning and losing this year.    I wish we were close enough to get one more rebound and win the games!!!!.  

Our problems go WAY beyond that 1 rebound per game KG is not getting now that he got last year!  Look no further than:

2011/2012   Opponents shoot 42% and score 89.3 ppg (2nd in the NBA)

2012/2013   Opponents shoot 45.5% and score 98.1 ppg!

Doesn't look like a 1 rebound difference to me!

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wicksandrowe. Show wicksandrowe's posts

Throw in that given the porous paint defense and increased opposing shooting percentages,, there are actually fewer misses to rebound defensively, especially over these last three abysmal games.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wicksandrowe. Show wicksandrowe's posts

In response to wicksandrowe's comment:

Throw in that given the porous paint defense and increased opposing shooting percentages,, there are actually fewer misses to rebound defensively, especially over these last three abysmal games.

KG's rebounding average, scoring average, and blocks per game are down this season. 

We can make excuses for KG all day long, but one thing's for sure, he's not playing like someone being paid 11m per year. 

And Pierce is playing like someone being paid 15-16M? 

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

I can understand Duncan + Splitter, but Sanders and Ilyasova?

Really?

If you're going to tell me that KG will not be able to outplay Sanders because Ilyasova is his sidekick then that's bull crap.

In previous years it was Andrew Bynum, Dwight Howard, Pau Gasol, or Tim Duncan, now you're telling me an Ilyasova + Sanders tandem is superior to what the Celtics have?

Excuses!

Actually if you look at Sanders, he is the perfect foil for KG.  Long, rangy, young.  Sorry, I am still not buying that KG is a big contributor to the Celts problems.  The Celts have not been able to fill the gap caused by the decline of their stars and the departure of Ray Allen.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

Actually if you look at Sanders, he is the perfect foil for KG.  Long, rangy, young.  Sorry, I am still not buying that KG is a big contributor to the Celts problems.  The Celts have not been able to fill the gap caused by the decline of their stars and the departure of Ray Allen.

I didn't say KG is a big problem. All I'm saying is KG is a bigger problem than Rondo.

Some are saying Rondo is a bigger problem than KG. I disagree. Rondo is the least of the Celts' problems this season.

We completely agree there.  To be a special team, you need special players.  Rondo is a special player.  Paul Pierce, despite his decline, is still a special player.  KG is still very effective.  But without one more special player, the Celts will not be able to do much.

We can't ask Rondo to start scoring like MJ and we can't ask KG to start posting up like Shaq.  Yes, it is disappointing but if teh Celts can't do something to compete this year then they should focus on competing next year.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

I didn't say KG is a big problem. All I'm saying is KG is a bigger problem than Rondo.

Some are saying Rondo is a bigger problem than KG. I disagree. Rondo is the least of the Celts' problems this season.

We completely agree there.  To be a special team, you need special players.  Rondo is a special player.  Paul Pierce, despite his decline, is still a special player.  KG is still very effective.  But without one more special player, the Celts will not be able to do much.

We can't ask Rondo to start scoring like MJ and we can't ask KG to start posting up like Shaq.  Yes, it is disappointing but if teh Celts can't do something to compete this year then they should focus on competing next year.

I totally agree that we can't ask Rondo to start scoring like MJ.

But I think we should not give up on the season yet. The Celts are just one big man away from becoming a very good team again. With 52 games left, too early to focus on next season.

Everyone is wanting to focus on who the BIGGEST problem on the Celtics when it is in reality more of a team problem than a individual player problem. I may just that that Doc is the biggest problem for not getting players to do their jobs.  Here are the things that I think are the biggest problems.

1.  Team rebounds-  If 5 guys don't go after a rebound then whos problem is that?

2.  PG's and SG's go by our guards like a turnstile.   More than any year that I can remember since KG got here.  That makes a lot of bad stats go up.  I think RA did more than a lot of people think as far as team defense.  He did stay in front of his man more than Terry does.

3. Rondo is not immune from being the problem either.  To go along with the above problem on defense,  Rondo has only increased his scoring this year by 1 pt.  Thats not going to do it from what people want to call a superstar.  He may be hitting more jumpers but its not showing up in the boxscore.  No one is expecting him to be Michael Jordan but or Zeke.  But the Thomas we just played? Yes.  Right now RR is number 20 on the list of PG scoring. Should maybe Doc tell RR he wants him to start scoring 17 pts a game?   I don't think thats asking him to be MJ.

4. Bench players-  No one has stepped up to become a reliable option.  The most reliable is probably Sully and for some reason we don't want to play him more than 17 minutes a game.  He needs starter minutes and some of our rebounding wows go away.  Doc's problem.

5. PP is not shooting very well this year, but the production is the same. The main reason IMO is he lives out by the 3pt line.  He needs to be posted up 2-3 dribbles away from a layup. Every team in the league collapses on him after he dribbles more than 2 times.  His shooting percantage would go up and his to's down if we move him closer to the rim.  He doesn't hustle to the rim on fast breaks ,  just jogs to the 3 pt line.   Again these are problems Doc should take care of.

6. KG whom this thread is about, is doing about the same as I expected this year. His games are up and down. I don't like the 5/5/5/ crap. If he needs rest, give him a game off and make players step up when he not around. I am not saying 40 minutes a game either. It makes it easier for the Sanders of the world to do what they do when bigs like KG and our other  and trying to stop guards from getting layups. - Back to Doc

When have any of you ever seen so many pts in the paint, mainly layups against our defense?  Yes one big will help a lot,  but our season depends a lot more on the players we have  now starting to do the things that they should be doing.

Yes if Bradley is anywhere close to himself, it will help a lot. Maybe even rub off on some players. 

I could go on and on but  Doc doesn't get a free pass from this IMO.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Don't know what the optimists have been watching, but there is simply no defense on this team any longer. 

Justify it all you want:  They have zero defensive tenacity.  There's not a trade worth beans unless and until this team begins to show some of the heart it used to have.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

In response to soups's comment:

Don't know what the optimists have been watching, but there is simply no defense on this team any longer. 

Justify it all you want:  They have zero defensive tenacity.  There's not a trade worth beans unless and until this team begins to show some of the heart it used to have.

I agree...this team doesn't know the word defense at the moment.

So they called Melo up from the D-L...is Doc going to drastically change rotations tonight with Melo and AB dressed?

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In response to OneOnOne's comment:

I totally agree that we can't ask Rondo to start scoring like MJ.

But I think we should not give up on the season yet. The Celts are just one big man away from becoming a very good team again. With 52 games left, too early to focus on next season.

Everyone is wanting to focus on who the BIGGEST problem on the Celtics when it is in reality more of a team problem than a individual player problem. I may just that that Doc is the biggest problem for not getting players to do their jobs.  Here are the things that I think are the biggest problems.

1.  Team rebounds-  If 5 guys don't go after a rebound then whos problem is that?

2.  PG's and SG's go by our guards like a turnstile.   More than any year that I can remember since KG got here.  That makes a lot of bad stats go up.  I think RA did more than a lot of people think as far as team defense.  He did stay in front of his man more than Terry does.

3. Rondo is not immune from being the problem either.  To go along with the above problem on defense,  Rondo has only increased his scoring this year by 1 pt.  Thats not going to do it from what people want to call a superstar.  He may be hitting more jumpers but its not showing up in the boxscore.  No one is expecting him to be Michael Jordan but or Zeke.  But the Thomas we just played? Yes.  Right now RR is number 20 on the list of PG scoring. Should maybe Doc tell RR he wants him to start scoring 17 pts a game?   I don't think thats asking him to be MJ.

4. Bench players-  No one has stepped up to become a reliable option.  The most reliable is probably Sully and for some reason we don't want to play him more than 17 minutes a game.  He needs starter minutes and some of our rebounding wows go away.  Doc's problem.

5. PP is not shooting very well this year, but the production is the same. The main reason IMO is he lives out by the 3pt line.  He needs to be posted up 2-3 dribbles away from a layup. Every team in the league collapses on him after he dribbles more than 2 times.  His shooting percantage would go up and his to's down if we move him closer to the rim.  He doesn't hustle to the rim on fast breaks ,  just jogs to the 3 pt line.   Again these are problems Doc should take care of.

6. KG whom this thread is about, is doing about the same as I expected this year. His games are up and down. I don't like the 5/5/5/ crap. If he needs rest, give him a game off and make players step up when he not around. I am not saying 40 minutes a game either. It makes it easier for the Sanders of the world to do what they do when bigs like KG and our other  and trying to stop guards from getting layups. - Back to Doc

When have any of you ever seen so many pts in the paint, mainly layups against our defense?  Yes one big will help a lot,  but our season depends a lot more on the players we have  now starting to do the things that they should be doing.

Yes if Bradley is anywhere close to himself, it will help a lot. Maybe even rub off on some players. 

I could go on and on but  Doc doesn't get a free pass from this IMO.

This is correct.  I am not (and I don't think most posters are) saying that Rondo is the biggest problem.  The honest debate here is whether kG or Rondo is a bigger problem.  Biggest problem  is clearly the lack of a big  man, then lack of team rebounding, terrible D (and I do think Rondo is the biggest culprit there ), lack of bench production, etc.   somewhere in there, Rondo not scoring more while he holds onto the ball is an issue.  no one is asking him to score like MJ.  He doesn't even have to score like Parker or Westbrook.  He just needs to score 5 or 7 more than he is now to keep defenses honest and get easier baskets for the team.   If you are the leader and you bave the ball in your hands WAY more than anyone else, you have to produce more than 2 or 3 assists more than the next guard.  Sorry, Fierce, but that IS a problem and it's a bigger problem than KG not getting 1 additional rebound a game like he did last year!  1 rebound won't matter, but easy baskets and breaking down the other team's D is important, not to mention staying in front of your own man more often.

Sections
Shortcuts