KG's legacy on Celtic Culture

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

KG's legacy on Celtic Culture

One last discussion point for today:

A lot of emphasis has been placed on KG changing the Cetlics culture the second he became a Celtic. I wonder, what are the effects of losing KG to the ongoing Celtic culture. Are there residual effects, or do we see a drop off? Specifically, in regards defensive intensity, pride, seriousness, and a devotion to the craft of basketball. What do you think?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from johconn. Show johconn's posts

Re: KG's legacy on Celtic Culture

In response to Fierce34's comment:

The defensive intensity will have a drop off, that's for sure!

totally agree...the celts went for a LONG time without an agressive identity. With KG they never were soft, that's for sure. The identity suffers. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

if we were just losing KG, i think there'd be more of a chance that the identity he brought, or at least some sense of it, might stick. but losing him, PP and doc all at once really means we are rebooting this franchise. they will have a brand new identity. it remains to be seen what that is.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

I wonder about AB in regards to this. How much of his defense was fueled by KGs impact on the game?

Maybe their absence (KG, PP, Doc) will put pressure on the likes of Avery, Jeff and Sully to step up and carry on that tradition. I feel like KG, PP and Doc were just always on those guys, especially Jeff, throughout the entire year last year and I bet its something that will live inside Jeff forever "Nasty Jeff" 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

KG is the single most important factor for why the Celtics won in 2008. He came to play every night and is one of - if not the most - intense competitors in the NBA today. Defensively, I am expecting a huge drop in performance this season. The young players are saying the right things so far, but lets see what their intensity is like in February during a 10 game slide. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

if Rondo stays.........he is going to have the biggest impact on what this team's identity will be going forward

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

I will miss KG, he tried playing injured and gave it his all. Not the defensive player he once was but brought intensity on the floor. now it's time for Rondo to either sh**t or get off the pot. He's the longest tenured player on the team. If he doesn't bring it on both ends then I don't know who will? Maybe AB.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

KG was one a kind.

When he came to the Celtics, his reputation, his leadership, and willingness to follow Doc's lead in creating a team first attitude, that everone else had to follow, allowed the Celtics to be much more than the sum of their parts. Banner # 17 is his legacy.

Coming to the Celtics, as probably the best all around big man of his generation, with almost every award, except a championship, others had to follow.

While very few players always give 100%, KG always did. He was also one of the most consistant players in the NBA.

His defensesive leadership was also unique. While others earned reputations for shot blocks, KG led team defense with the quickness required to reduce opposing team shooting percentage. While able to guard 1s, 2s, 3s, 4s, and 5s in his prime, in later years, he still retained the quickness to guard threes, fours, and fives.

The only 20, 10 and 5 player for 7 years in NBA history.

He will be missed.

After Larry Bird, he is my favorite player.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

As one of four player in the NBA to have a no trade clause, KG would rather do what is asked of him for people and the team that he is loyal to, than live with the alternative.

As maybe the most respected player in the NBA, he legacy is carved in stone.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

Kg has the top defensive numbers in the NBA over the last six years.

He will never be replaced.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

The Celtics will have to start over.

Bradley and Green are the Celtics final defensive legacy with the Celtics. Stevens will set the bar with Rondo, and the team will be irrelavent until the culture and leadership changes. It is truely a shame that Rondo is the future of this team.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

I rememeber Scal saying something like...

Scal did that half hour CSNE thing during his last season playing for the C's and during one broadcast he said something like"  "KG is by far the most intense presence he has ever been around in basketball, PERIOD, by far.  It extended into practices and all aspects of the game and he was by FAR the most intense guy ever BY FAR..."

My nephew said "watch what happens to Big Baby in terms of leadership during his stint in Orlando because of the effect that KG has had on him..."  and he was totally right.

Look at Sully's comments last week about how Garnett taught him how to approach the game and how to deal with downtime and care for his attitude and body.

I have never seen anyone play defense like KG.  We will really miss his defensive presence.  I hope he comesback to Boston to coach.  He could teach Melo how to play in the NBA.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skins and Heart. Show Skins and Heart's posts

KG was everything to the Celtics during his time there. Can't see anything over the past several years occuring if he wasn't there.

Also no Ray Allen = no KG. Ray did by his presence and not to mention his play also bought a championship to Boston + one trip to the finals. Not so bad. 

Rondo and Bradley play good defence. In fact Rondo is stella, although he does go for a few too many steals. But Rondo is a very intense competitor. Hard to tell what his attitude will be going on. Can't see Boston being a terrible team at all if he's fit next season. Certainly can't see them coming towards the bottom of the Eastern Conference that's for sure. 

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

Fungus... as expected.

It is never too late to appreciate greatness.

OK, I will put on my optimism hat and do my best cheer.

Go lottery ball!

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

Fungus,

The bait!

Its time to spread to another poster. I know your game.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to R9R's comment:

A lot of emphasis has been placed on KG changing the Cetlics culture the second he became a Celtic. I wonder, what are the effects of losing KG to the ongoing Celtic culture. Are there residual effects, or do we see a drop off? Specifically, in regards defensive intensity, pride, seriousness, and a devotion to the craft of basketball. What do you think?

KG will forever be recognized for the level of intensity that he played with, his superior defensive knowledge and abilities, and for being a true leader by example. KG is a real TEAM FIRST kinda guy.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

In response to RallyC's comment:

KG will forever be recognized for the level of intensity that he played with, his superior defensive knowledge and abilities, and for being a true leader by example. KG is a real TEAM FIRST kinda guy.

Amen.

He will be missed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

The other topic that should be mentioned is respect. While his skills are no longer at an MVP level, it would be hard to find a player that has more respect in the NBA than KG. Lebron may be the best player, but is likely that KG is the most respected.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

With KG and Pierce leaving the culture is going with them.  There is no one left to teach it.  Doc is gone as well.  Brad Stevens will have a chance to instill winning, but it will take time.

Consider the era is long gone and now visiting Brooklyn in a lesser form.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

That sounds like the opposite of Rondo........

Sections
Shortcuts