KG'S RIGHT

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Re: KG'S RIGHT

In response to puddinpuddin's comment:

KG is a national treasure. End of conversation.

Pud

RE: KG is a national treasure.

He is probably one of the best ever PFs in the game however.....

I am a Celtic fan since the Cousy-Sharman days so really enjoyed our dominance in the Bird-Parish-McHale days.

Ok, first of all..the NBA is a business. But I agree that loyalty to a team is vital to maintain esprit de corps. KG says he bleeds "Green". Please keep in mind that he is not a home grown player like Larry Bird,12 years, and PP too with 15 years all with the "C"s. KG's best years, because he was younger were the 10 or so with Minn but he never won a title. He's only had 5 years with us but did get a ring.

Here's what we owe KG and PP. Ask them if they wouldn't mind being traded to the Clippers as they'll be able to continue to play together, continue to bash the hated Lakers and these 2 allstars could get another ring together(better chance with Clippers & R. Paul &Blake Griffin I think) and possibly retire together in their local community. I reiterate, ask them !!!

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to wicksandrowe's comment:

In response to BCSP's comment:

In response to concord27's comment:

Absolutely.  Sanity will return to this BB on Thursday afternoon.  We all do it but some who are really knowledeable will go on and on about the players you mention thinking we will be better.

Bring Josh Smith with Rondo and no Garnett and you will have a team that nobody cares about.  Bring in Cousins but you have to have Garnett around to mentor him.  

A team with Rondo leading is a team that goes nowhere.  And I am not a Rondo hater, I am a Garnett lover.  It is over when he leaves.   Fill the need for the big man, bring in another guard as best you can and lets roll. Without any injuries to Garnett and Pierce it will be interesting.

On another thread people were going ga-ga over Bledsoe and one dunk he made last night in a contest.  That's what I meant by this BB being temporarily insane until Thursday.  It happens every year and we are all guilty of it to different degrees.

Ditto!

Getting the 12 pick in the draft every year and middle of the road FAs, is the recipe for mediocrity!

The Spurs might be a team that out-Celtics the Celtics, at least recently. The culture they've developed means more to them than quick fixes and draft order.

Easy to do, you say, with Duncan as the constant and Ginobili and Parker as the next constants. But Parker and Ginobili were low first and low second round picks. The picks they've had in their run have been routinely in the 20's. They mine the international field better than anyone else.

Interestingly enough, just yesterday, Popovich said that among the first things they consider when evaluating players is sense of humor, along with intelligence and other personality characteristics. 

In the Spurs culture forming a collective conscience appears to be more important than collecting a bunch of supernovas.

The key mention in the point you attempt to make is Duncan! 1st pick in the draft, the year the C's had the worst record! 

What are the Spurs without Duncan! An above average, mediocre team, with players that have a good sense of humor! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3952186. Show user_3952186's posts

It was 22-years between titles under the old CBA! How long do you think it will take under the new CBA? 

Is this a business? OR family! 

Name a player that gave the C's a "family" discount, during recent contract negotiations? 

Hopefully DA has his business man hat on this week, as he prepares to make decisions that will impact this franchise for years to come! 

FA makes this task so much easier than in the past. Rebuilding for the future is not just about trades that could be made - that is an obsolete model and view.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to user_3952186's comment:

It was 22-years between titles under the old CBA! How long do you think it will take under the new CBA? 

Name a player that gave the C's a "family" discount, during recent contract negotiations? 

Hopefully DA has his business man hat on this week, as he prepares to make decisions that will impact this franchise for years to come! 

FA makes this task so much easier than in the past. Rebuilding for the future is not just about trades that could be made - that is an obsolete model and view.

My fear is we are about to find out who is right! If it is "so much easier" we should be back in the hunt in, shall we say, 5-years (without trading KG and or PP)! 

I hope you are right! 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3952186. Show user_3952186's posts

In response to user_3952186's comment:

My fear is we are about to find out who is right! If it is "so much easier" we should be back in the hunt in, shall we say, 5-years (without trading KG and or PP)! 

I hope you are right! 

Not quite sure when we will be "back in the hunt" but FA does make the task lighter with a big market team like the C's. Josh Smith is a good example. They may not trade for him now and could get him this summer through FA. The business model has obviously change. The biggest question facing big market teams is whether or not they want to pay luxury tax.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In response to SFBostonFan's comment:

Pud

I am a Celtic fan since the Cousy-Sharman days so really enjoyed our dominance in the Bird-Parish-McHale days.

Ok, first of all..the NBA is a business. But I agree that loyalty to a team is vital to maintain esprit de corps. KG says he bleeds "Green". Please keep in mind that he is not a home grown player like Larry Bird,12 years, and PP too with 15 years all with the "C"s. KG's best years, because he was younger were the 10 or so with Minn but he never won a title. He's only had 5 years with us but did get a ring.

Here's what we owe KG and PP. Ask them if they wouldn't mind being traded to the Clippers as they'll be able to continue to play together, continue to bash the hated Lakers and these 2 allstars could get another ring together(better chance with Clippers & R. Paul &Blake Griffin I think) and possibly retire together in their local community. I reiterate, ask them !!!

KG was born to be a Celtic. He has always been a Celtic even when he played elsewhere. He was overheard announcing aloud in 2007 as he put on his Celtic uniform and laced up his sneaks..... "With the 5th pick in the 1995 NBA Draft, the Boston Celtics... choose..... Kevin Garnett!!!!"

That's good enough for me. He should be allowed to retire a Celtic.

He follows closely in Russ's footsteps. Both are national treasures, lifelong Celtics.

When KG loses his edge/competitivenss/skills, he, like Russ will step aside proudly.

Pud

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

[QUOTE]

Pud

KG was born to be a Celtic. He has always been a Celtic even when he played elsewhere. He was overheard announcing aloud in 2007 as he put on his Celtic uniform and laced up his sneaks..... "With the 5th pick in the 1995 NBA Draft, the Boston Celtics... choose..... Kevin Garnett!!!!"

He follows closely in Russ's footsteps. Both are national treasures, lifelong Celtics.

When KG loses his edge/competitivenss/skills, he, like Russ will step aside proudly.

Pud

So you are saying sending KG to LA/ Malibu to be closer to his family, where he will continue to make millions of dollars and have a shot at another title, is in some way a dis-service? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wicksandrowe. Show wicksandrowe's posts

The key mention in the point you attempt to make is Duncan! 1st pick in the draft, the year the C's had the worst record! 

What are the Spurs without Duncan! An above average, mediocre team, with players that have a good sense of humor! 

[/QUOTE]

Please. Duncan's experienced his own down times and they've done very well when he's been out of the lineup.

Nevertheless, by extension, the Spurs should be trading him and Ginobili in order to stay ahead of the NBA curve? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Please. Duncan's experienced his own down times and they've done very well when he's been out of the lineup.

Nevertheless, by extension, the Spurs should be trading him and Ginobili in order to stay ahead of the NBA curve? 

[/QUOTE]

If their end goal is winning titles (not just making the playoffs), Yes! 

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wicksandrowe. Show wicksandrowe's posts

[/QUOTE]

I think we differ here only on how any given team goes about winning a title. First, how plausible a goal is it for any given team? If a title is just not remotely a likely outcome, your plan changes to something less than an immediate title. Knowing the difference is what GM's are paid to do

I'm guessing the Nets' end goal is winning a title. Is it a plausible goal? Admirable, maybe, but not truly plausible, in my estimation. Then there's the talent a team puts together. Maybe the talent there is sufficient, but that mix of players doesn't pass the smell test.

I'll take the Celtics chances over theirs if the playoffs started tonight, and the reason is that players like KG, Pierce, and Terry can drag along lesser/younger players.

Whatever quality that is, title teams have it. The Spurs have it, the Heat have it, and I think Boston still has it. The Nets, Knicks, Pacers don't seem to have it. It remains to be seen if LAC, OKC do. 

And without that 'quality' binding players together, individual talents remain just that, individual talents.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

I think we differ here only on how any given team goes about winning a title. First, how plausible a goal is it for any given team? If a title is just not remotely a likely outcome, your plan changes to something less than an immediate title. Knowing the difference is what GM's are paid to do

I'm guessing the Nets' end goal is winning a title. Is it a plausible goal? Admirable, maybe, but not truly plausible, in my estimation. Then there's the talent a team puts together. Maybe the talent there is sufficient, but that mix of players doesn't pass the smell test.

I'll take the Celtics chances over theirs if the playoffs started tonight, and the reason is that players like KG, Pierce, and Terry can drag along lesser/younger players.

Whatever quality that is, title teams have it. The Spurs have it, the Heat have it, and I think Boston still has it. The Nets, Knicks, Pacers don't seem to have it. It remains to be seen if LAC, OKC do. 

And without that 'quality' binding players together, individual talents remain just that, individual talents.

[/QUOTE]

I respect your posts and opinions. We agree on the outcome of a playoff series between the Nets and the C's. The C's win that series hands down! 

It is apparent we do not completely agree on the handling of aging stars. A poster on this site stated it best, players like KG and PP should be complimentary pieces at this stage of their careers, not players asked to carry the load for their franchise night in and night out! 

I am of the opinion that a trade to a competitive team needing a final piece does a valued service to both the aging player and involved franchises. 

On the topic of winning cultures, what the Heat have is the best player on the planet! What the Spurs had (and to a degree still have) is one of the best big men to ever play the game! 

A team like the Lakers, best supports your position! Big stars, no chemistry! 

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

In response to scubber's comment:

In response to scubber's comment:

In response to concord27's comment:

Absolutely.  Sanity will return to this BB on Thursday afternoon.  We all do it but some who are really knowledeable will go on and on about the players you mention thinking we will be better.

Bring Josh Smith with Rondo and no Garnett and you will have a team that nobody cares about.  Bring in Cousins but you have to have Garnett around to mentor him.  

A team with Rondo leading is a team that goes nowhere.  And I am not a Rondo hater, I am a Garnett lover.  It is over when he leaves.   Fill the need for the big man, bring in another guard as best you can and lets roll. Without any injuries to Garnett and Pierce it will be interesting.

On another thread people were going ga-ga over Bledsoe and one dunk he made last night in a contest.  That's what I meant by this BB being temporarily insane until Thursday.  It happens every year and we are all guilty of it to different degrees.

Ditto!

Getting the 12 pick in the draft every year and middle of the road FAs, is the recipe for mediocrity!

That is probably exactly what we will get with trading KG for Bledsoe and Jordan.  Load up and let the vets retire and be really bad for a couple of years are the other way to go.

A couple of years! 22 under the old CBA! The new CBA is less big franchise friendly! 

As supposed to being mediocre for how many years?  It is a reach IMO to suggest that trading KG or Pierce is going to get us to high level again quickly.  Again, my assumption is to get that one or two special players, not Bledsoe, not Jordan.  Being really bad for a few years give you a better chance at the special players.

You don't have to be bad...you  can  store up talented players that other teams will trade for...that's how we got KG in the first place...Getting a high draft pick is not any guarantee of improving either...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Pud

So you are saying sending KG to LA/ Malibu to be closer to his family, where he will continue to make millions of dollars and have a shot at another title, is in some way a dis-service? 

Its KG's call.

He sez he bleeds green... he dies green.

Sounds like he's made the call already. 

Who could blame him?

#5 is right next to #6 and that's the way it should always be.

Pud

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAYS9DYZ15g&feature=player_detailpage

Larry Legend bled green too...and although they beat the cavs in this game, he is clearly laboring...along with Mchale...

He turned into a passer playing with the young guns...but we still lost the series...Parrish still looks like he could run with the youngsters..

That is what is happening with KG and PP too..

This is what Danny was referring to when he said he would have traded Bird before he broke down...

No matter what, I will root for the Celts!!

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

Yes, the Celtics make the playoffs in a weak Eastern conference, but do anyone honestly think they will make it to the finals and/or win it? NO!!!!!!!  How long can DA continue to feature KG and PP as premiere players so late in their careers when he is on record saying he would do the opposite based on the original big 3.  With Rondo this team was not going to go far.  Without him the adrenaline that is cousing through their veins will soon be gone.  

Im in the camp of blow it up and stop delaying the inevitable.  Even if it is blown up this season, they will still make the playoffs-bounced in the 1st round versus the 2nd.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

In response to jdm894g's comment:

Yes, the Celtics make the playoffs in a weak Eastern conference, but do anyone honestly think they will make it to the finals and/or win it? NO!!!!!!!  How long can DA continue to feature KG and PP as premiere players so late in their careers when he is on record saying he would do the opposite based on the original big 3.  With Rondo this team was not going to go far.  Without him the adrenaline that is cousing through their veins will soon be gone.  

Im in the camp of blow it up and stop delaying the inevitable.  Even if it is blown up this season, they will still make the playoffs-bounced in the 1st round versus the 2nd.

Think 1999 NY Knicks making it to the Finals without Patrick Ewing.

If the Celts get an upgrade over Bass, this Celts team becomes a very good team capable of getting back to the east finals again.

Ok but who do they get and what do they give to get it that make sense for both teams?

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In response to Ortiz123's comment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAYS9DYZ15g&feature=player_detailpage

This is what Danny was referring to when he said he would have traded Bird before he broke down...

DA is quite the talker.

He hasn't been nearly the daring wheeler/dealer/trader that his word suggest he would be.

Pud

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Pud

Pud

He has a no trade clause. He is allowed to retire as a Celtic.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

Hard to believe Ainge will blow up a team with a 28-24 record and a 6-1 record for this month.

DeAndre Jordan is not worth 11m per year and Bledsoe becomes redundant when Rondo returns next season.

they only have 12 more home games all year and 18 on the road.  I think it will be harder for him when he doesn't blow it up and they finish 42 and 40.

Sections
Shortcuts