KO ranked #1 rookie

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

KO ranked #1 rookie

http://basketball.realgm.com/blog/228855/Summer-League-Player-Evaluation-Kelly-Olynyk

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2013/07/2013_nba_summer_league_kelly_o.html

KO is making everyone a believer after his awesome summer league performance.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

Re: KO ranked #1 rookie

In response to Fierce34's comment:

On day 1 I said he's a young Dirk and there were some here who laughed.

5 years from now Oly will be an All-Star.

A stopped clock is right twice a day.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

Even a blind pig will find an acorn, if he roots around enough.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Quote from Fierce:

"Don't expect picks outside the top 10 to be franchise players.

Olynyk might pan out as a 3rd or 4th option."

I recall you being very diplomatic about the Olynyk pick, at least until after Summer League play started.  I commend you for being open and diplomatic about the pick and trustful of Ainge but you weren't overly enthusiastic either and you also bought into the Celtics tanking theory... now me on the other hand...

"This kid playing at power forward might be a great thing, the kid can shoot from any where on the floor, he has a good hook shot, he hits his free throws, is good on the pick and roll..."

http://www.boston.com/community/forums/sports/celtics/on-the-front-burner/kelly-olynyk-to-boston/100/6712882?page=5

I made the Dirk-lite comparison, you're one of my favorite posters Fierce, but you are ever the diplomat.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

Go KO; thank you Danny.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

yeah fierce why'd you not predict him to be an all-star day 1? he clearly is dirk but 50 times better and he's the new baby Jesus and will be our franchise star forever and ever and only be ours and be the greatest of all time. why didn't you say that on draft night fierce I thought you knew everything why not say he's the best when he's clearly the best after scoring all the points on summer league why'd you not tell us that he's the next greatest of ever??

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

He'll never take the next step if he fouls almost 5x a game and struggles with Ft's and defense in general.

Excited that we have an above average offensive player on the team. But if you give up as much as you put in (like Big Al) you're not making all-star teams and your +/- is always horrible.

We'll see how he looks against the real pro's soon enough

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

I loved this kid before the C's got him, and have been one of, if not the very first to proclaim KO a future star, along with Fierce, while sooooooooo many threw dirt on our words. Just the truth. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheNewGKDynasty. Show TheNewGKDynasty's posts

Take this with a grain of salt. Fungus was the same one who used to rave about Pruit being a future all star. Avery Bradley being the second coming of Michael Jordan, "the miniature Michael Jordan" as he put it, Jeff Green was the next hall of fame James Worthy, Sullinger the next Mchale and Bill Walker the next Kobe Bryant. This time he is quoted so he can't go deleting this post. Sorry Fungus but got to keep you honest...

laughing out loud

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Olynyk won't stuggle with free throws or defense against similar sized power forwards, he'll have to not turn the ball over which is something most rookies have to learn, including Dirk when he started playing in America.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdp59. Show kdp59's posts

LOL...this is me and the many posters on these threads who've said wait until he starts playing against real NBA players to see how he does before we make rewservations in Springfield for the guy... 

I agree 100%

he looked good playing against D-Leagers and NBA back ups........lets see him play against other REAL NBA players for a game or two before we put him in the Hall of fame please.

as a reminder, these are Dirk's numbers his first year in the NBA:

20.4 Min/G

40.5% FG

20.6% 3 pt

77.3% FT

3.4 Reb

1.0 Ast

8.2 Pt/G

even hall of famers are rookies in the NBA folks.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

bumped

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

I'm the only one that selected him on draft night............let's not overrate him though........ He should translate to a very good NBA player...if he can bring his skill set. He is a point getter...great mid range and good FT shooter. Think Ainge was looking for his offensive capabilities especially on the paint perimeter. He has some strong potential...but let's play some NBA games first.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:

I'm the only one that selected him on draft night............let's not overrate him though........ He should translate to a very good NBA player...if he can bring his skill set. He is a point getter...great mid range and good FT shooter. Think Ainge was looking for his offensive capabilities especially on the paint perimeter. He has some strong potential...but let's play some NBA games first.

No, Ice, good pick by the way.........but weren't "the only one who selected him on draft night". I wanted this kid and was hoping he'd fal to us in the draft since back in the NCAA tournament. Sorry, I missed the BDC "WHOYA PICKIN" thread. Regardless, you go ahead and be cautious for the sake of not settng yourself up for dissappointment, or is it more because you were right with the pick, but you don't really know why you said it would be KO? Are you saying it was just a good guess then? NOT ME. I KNOW WHAT I SEE. I see a 7ft. fundamentally superior NBA baller and that is a fact. He is driven, working toward a MBA, and isn't just your next typical, "its basketball or bust" giant NBA ball player. He is special, beyond what we've seen in the NBA for a long, long time. Did I say he is 7ft tall! Stop being so conservative in believing what you see. 7ft tall with those kinda skills doesn't lie. PERIOD. again, good pick! Too bad you are now taking the, "Well, he looks good, but lets see if I was right" road. Should I say, Hey, good guess? Sounds like you weren't really certain he was gonna be worth the pick?????

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to MelWitt's comment:

In response to RallyC's comment:

I loved this kid before the C's got him, and have been one of, if not the very first to proclaim KO a future star, along with Fierce, while sooooooooo many threw dirt on our words. Just the truth. 

LOL...this is me and the many posters on these threads who've said wait until he starts playing against real NBA players to see how he does before we make rewservations in Springfield for the guy...  :)

Now, that being said...the kid is talented and can be very good, but he's pretty slow footed and will be a defensive liability, especially if he ventures out of the key to defend his opposite which will badly exposed his lack of "Fred Astaire" ability...just saying

I hear ya Mel, BUT a cautious assessment of his actual, tangible, skillset isn't required at this point. Sure, there are no guarantees with any player, BUT KO ISN'T JUST ANY PLAYER. Here's why:

When we see some of these uber athletic, jump through the roof, high flying acts come up after dominating in college, then YES, caution is warranted as they usuallly have simply dominated lesser competition because of their superior athelticism and need to prove that the NBA isn't just gonna absorb their strengths as there are so many of these types in the leagues already and simply make them invisible. But when you see a guy who isn't all that superior athletically (not real fast, isn't jumping outta the gym, doesn't dunk every other bucket, ain't slapping balls into the 20th row, etc,) BUT has the understanding of how the use his height, stride, body positioning, dribble, great court vision, spacing, as well as KO can, and has the a BROAD shooting range, and his kind of superior mental/cerebral capacity (graduated early, NCAA Academic All-America who is finishing his MBA), then you see a unique player who will have immediate success, and soon dominate in the NBA. Remember, YOU CAN'T TEACH 7-FEET TALL! Look at it like this: On a team of just 7-footers from the NBA RIGHT NOW, who plays PG, 2-guard, 3? The only one I know for sure who could play all three on that team of 7-ft players, and do it very, very well is KO, right NOW. That assesment tells you just how dominant he will be inside and outside. Eventually a Larry with Kevin's inside trickery.... I said it before and i will say it again, If KO remains healthy, nothing will keep him from being a perrennial All-star. Said an NBA exec recently, "KO is already good enough to get those GMs who didn't draft him FIRED!"  There are opinions, and then there are obvious conclusions. KO isn't just a possible NBA star, if healthy, he is as sure as it gets. 7'0" tall and crazy good all around fundamentals dont lie. 7-footers with all of that don't fail..........DA IS THE MAN!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

In response to RallyC's comment:

In response to Iceman4's comment:

No, Ice, good pick by the way.........but you go ahead and be cautious for the sake of not settng yourself up for dissappointment, or is it more because you were right with the pick, but don't really know why you said it would be KO? Good guess then? NOT ME. I KNOW WHAT I SEE. I see a 7ft. fundamentally superior NBA baller and that is a fact. He is driven, working toward a PHD, and isn't just your next tyoucak NBA ball player. He is special, beyond what we've seen in the NBA for a long, long time. Did I say he is 7ft tall! Stop being so conservative in believing what you see. 7ft tall with those kinda skills doesn't lie. PERIOD. again, good pick! Too bad you are now taking the, "Well, he looks good, but lets see if I was right" road. Should I say, Hey, good guess? Sounds like you weren't really certain he was gonna be worth the pick?????

I'm just being cautious in my hopes for him.  I definitely thought he was worth the pick. Why did I pick? Because of the exact same things you said. A "7 footer" with those "kinda" skills....as well as Ainge being real familiar with his area. He can put up points. He will be good. He has challenges on his explosiveness and defensive skills that he needs to work on though. I'm not shaky about him being good in the NBA..........but when I hear comparisons to Bird...I think that is just crazy talk. Believe me, he will be a suprising alot of people who thought he wasn't a good pick.

Sections
Shortcuts