KO ranked #1 rookie

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

Re: KO ranked #1 rookie

In response to Fierce34's comment:

On day 1 I said he's a young Dirk and there were some here who laughed.

5 years from now Oly will be an All-Star.

Since some of us are "blowing our own horns",  I want some love here too.... Wink

MustangBri 06/28/2013 08:50 AM

This is the guy I wanted considering our draft position,  since seeing him in the NCAA Tournament.  Glad all the expert's picks of Shabbazz Muhammed were WRONG!!  Could....  could....  be a Nowitski clone if we get lucky.  If not...  could be another Adam Morrisson.   He's not the best at defense,  but he will learn.  In college he was groomed for his scoring because he was bigger than most players he faced.  In the pro's he will get burned a bit,  but he will learn.  Nice pick Danny. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:

In response to RallyC's comment:

I'm the only one that selected him on draft night............let's not overrate him though........ He should translate to a very good NBA player...if he can bring his skill set. He is a point getter...great mid range and good FT shooter. Think Ainge was looking for his offensive capabilities especially on the paint perimeter. He has some strong potential...but let's play some NBA games first.

No, Ice, good pick by the way.........but you go ahead and be cautious for the sake of not settng yourself up for dissappointment, or is it more because you were right with the pick, but don't really know why you said it would be KO? Good guess then? NOT ME. I KNOW WHAT I SEE. I see a 7ft. fundamentally superior NBA baller and that is a fact. He is driven, working toward a PHD, and isn't just your next tyoucak NBA ball player. He is special, beyond what we've seen in the NBA for a long, long time. Did I say he is 7ft tall! Stop being so conservative in believing what you see. 7ft tall with those kinda skills doesn't lie. PERIOD. again, good pick! Too bad you are now taking the, "Well, he looks good, but lets see if I was right" road. Should I say, Hey, good guess? Sounds like you weren't really certain he was gonna be worth the pick?????

I'm just being cautious in my hopes for him.  I definitely thought he was worth the pick. Why did I pick? Because of the exact same things you said. A "7 footer" with those "kinda" skills....as well as Ainge being real familiar with his area. He can put up points. He will be good. He has challenges on his explosiveness and defensive skills that he needs to work on though. I'm not shaky about him being good in the NBA..........but when I hear comparisons to Bird...I think that is just crazy talk. Believe me, he will be a suprising alot of people who thought he wasn't a good pick.

All I can say is YOU WERE DEAD ON! Dude is sick with fundamentals, and is highly intellectual. He uses his smarts in the game. For players like him, the game is slowed down in his head allowing for amazing composure. The last guy we had with this type of a cerebral/mental approach with his amazing fundamental skillset was Larry. Ice, we see guys like this very, very rarely. Thank God he's a Celtic! Again, nice call! I truly believe we won the lottery with this pick.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

I'm the only one that selected him on draft night............let's not overrate him though........ He should translate to a very good NBA player...if he can bring his skill set. He is a point getter...great mid range and good FT shooter. Think Ainge was looking for his offensive capabilities especially on the paint perimeter. He has some strong potential...but let's play some NBA games first.

No, Ice, good pick by the way.........but you go ahead and be cautious for the sake of not settng yourself up for dissappointment, or is it more because you were right with the pick, but don't really know why you said it would be KO? Good guess then? NOT ME. I KNOW WHAT I SEE. I see a 7ft. fundamentally superior NBA baller and that is a fact. He is driven, working toward a PHD, and isn't just your next tyoucak NBA ball player. He is special, beyond what we've seen in the NBA for a long, long time. Did I say he is 7ft tall! Stop being so conservative in believing what you see. 7ft tall with those kinda skills doesn't lie. PERIOD. again, good pick! Too bad you are now taking the, "Well, he looks good, but lets see if I was right" road. Should I say, Hey, good guess? Sounds like you weren't really certain he was gonna be worth the pick?????

I'm just being cautious in my hopes for him.  I definitely thought he was worth the pick. Why did I pick? Because of the exact same things you said. A "7 footer" with those "kinda" skills....as well as Ainge being real familiar with his area. He can put up points. He will be good. He has challenges on his explosiveness and defensive skills that he needs to work on though. I'm not shaky about him being good in the NBA..........but when I hear comparisons to Bird...I think that is just crazy talk. Believe me, he will be a suprising alot of people who thought he wasn't a good pick.

All I can say is YOU WERE DEAD ON! Dude is sick with fundamentals, and is highly intellectual. He uses his smarts in the game. For players like him, the game is slowed down in his head allowing for amazing composure. Ice, we see guys like this very, very rarely. Thank God he's a Celtic! Again, nice call! I truly believe we won the lottery with this pick.

agree........the only thing the Celtics need to do now is  find a good compliment to him. Another consistent scorer.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

All I can say is YOU WERE DEAD ON! Dude is sick with fundamentals, and is highly intellectual. He uses his smarts in the game. For players like him, the game is slowed down in his head allowing for amazing composure. Ice, we see guys like this very, very rarely. Thank God he's a Celtic! Again, nice call! I truly believe we won the lottery with this pick.

agree........the only thing the Celtics need to do now is  find a good compliment to him. Another consistent scorer.

KO, JG, Drummond, Knight, AB would be the future if I am DA.  Sorry, but RR isn't that guy for me for more reasons than anyone on these boards wants to hear. I still believe that AB will be who we thought he would be once he regains his confidence in his shot. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomobo. Show tomobo's posts

In response to MelWitt's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

On day 1 I said he's a young Dirk and there were some here who laughed.

5 years from now Oly will be an All-Star.

I loved this kid before the C's got him, and have been one of, if not the very first to proclaim KO a future star, along with Fierce, while sooooooooo many threw dirt on our words. Just the truth. 

LOL...this is me and the many posters on these threads who've said wait until he starts playing against real NBA players to see how he does before we make rewservations in Springfield for the guy...  :)

Now, that being said...the kid is talented and can be very good, but he's pretty slow footed and will be a defensive liability, especially if he ventures out of the key to defend his opposite which will badly exposed his lack of "Fred Astaire" ability...just saying

[/QUOTE]

I hear ya Mel, BUT a cautious assessment of his actual, tangible, skillset isn't required at this point. Sure, there are no guarantees with any player, BUT KO ISN'T JUST ANY PLAYER. Here's why:

When we see some of these uber athletic, jump through the roof, high flying acts come up after dominating in college, then YES, caution is warranted as they usuallly have simply dominated lesser competition because of their superior athelticism and need to prove that the NBA isn't just gonna absorb their strengths as there are so many of these types and make them invisible. But when you see a guy who isn't all that superior athletically (not real fast, isn't jumping outta the gym, doesn't dunk eery other bucket, ain't slapping balls into the 20th row, etc,) BUT has the understanding of how the use his height, stride, body positioning, dribble, great court vision, spacing, as well as KO can, and has the HUGE shooting range, and has this kind of superior mental/cerebral capacity that he has, then you see a unique player who will have immediate success, and soon dominate in the NBA. Remember, YOU CAN'T TEACH 7-FEET TALL! Look at it like this: On a team of just 7-footers from the NBA RIGHT NOW, who plays PG, 2-guard, 3? The only one I know for sure who not only could play all three on that team of 7-ft players is KO, right NOW. That assesment tels you just how domnant he will be isnide and outside. Eventually a Larry with Kevin's inside trickery.... I said it before and i will say it again, If KO remains healthy, there will be nothing that will keep him from being a perrennial All-star. Said an NBA exec recently, "KO is already good enough to get those GMs who didn't draft him FIRED!"  There are opinions, and there are obvious conclusions. KO isn't just a possible NBA star, if healthy, he is as sure as it gets. 7'0" tall and crazy good all around fundamentals dont lie. 7-footers with all of that don't fail..........DA IS THE MAN!

[/QUOTE]

Very convincing. I was the first to call him a Larry/Kevin/Dirk Digler hybride and still feel that he will be mentioned positively in the same breaths as them; either singularly or in concert. My predictions:

For shooting, most likely all 3. In rebounding, at least Kevin; maybe Dirk and ideally Larry. In passing we hope its Larry or @ least Dirk. No black holes need apply. With shot blocking, somewhere between Kevin and Digler would be nice. All of this is not a stretch(no pun intended). He could fall short in some, but surprise us in others(and visa versa). Feel free to quote me: We gonna Love TKO... 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nutter44. Show nutter44's posts

The questions are these:

Whom can he guard? Is he athletic enough? How many seasons will it take him to be strong enough?

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to nutter44's comment:

The questions are these:

Whom can he guard? Is he athletic enough? How many seasons will it take him to be strong enough?

Whom can he guard?

Good defensive NBA teams rely on good "TEAM" defense anymore vs. the constant man to man concept. Guys like KO (7'0", very intelligent, great vision as proven by his passing skills, great anticipation as proven by his ability to rebound despite not being a verticle monster, has already been identified as an EXCELLENT on floor communicator, etc.) are essential in being able to execute good TEAM DEFENSE. Though I see him not being a liability on D becasue of his size, I do not seeing him as a defensive stopper, like AB would be on the PG. None the less, TEAM DEFENSE requires a guy like him with EXCELLENT communication skills. 

Is he athletic enough?

The real question should be "What other 7ft-ers are athletic enough to cover KO? The fact is, KO should be a 3-4 in order to take advantage of his shooting range, handle, and his 7ft height. With a Drummond at Center and JG at the 3-4, who does the opposition put on KO who can dribble, drive, shoot the three, and dance up and under in the paint, all while everything is moving so much slower in his head than it is in the ohter bigs on the floor? Oh, and he can pass it very well of the dribble too. If Dirk is athletic enough, then KO is more than athletic enough. Watch him when he puts the ball on the floor, he looks 6'3!

How many seasons will it take him to be strong enough?

By the time the season starts, 3.5-months from now, KO will have put on about 10lbs of muscle mass and his relative strength will improve significantly. This is just natural growth and gains from being a kid who is working for the NBA for the first time and is at it everyday as such. Though he will need to become stronger to remain competative down low, he will need to continue to do what separates him from his peers, and thats move like a 2-3 with the ball. Therefore, I say he is already strong enough as almost none of the other 7ft guys will be able to match/stop him from successfully executing his skills/maneuverablility/shooting outside of the paint. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

I'm rooting for KO, but I still think we should have drafted Gorgui Deng. If Dieng owns him defensively I will be sick. If KO is un stoppable, I will be elated. Just not confident from what I've seen of him. I realistically expect him to play matador defense and rebound the ball like Phil Pressey. Not good. He just not physical enough to get the best of the Jared Sullingers of the league. A 7 footer that can't get you 10 rebounds in 30 minutes is a REAL problem!!!! I don't think we can count on him to do that and score. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to DaCeltics' comment:

I'm rooting for KO, but I still think we should have drafted Gorgui Deng. If Dieng owns him defensively I will be sick. If KO is un stoppable, I will be elated. Just not confident from what I've seen of him. I realistically expect him to play matador defense and rebound the ball like Phil Pressey. Not good. He just not physical enough to get the best of the Jared Sullingers of the league. A 7 footer that can't get you 10 rebounds in 30 minutes is a REAL problem!!!! I don't think we can count on him to do that and score. 

Well, then worst case, considering your assumptions we got another Dirk. Has Dirk been a problem for Dallas??? Dirk's 2012-13 and Carrer stats:

2012-13 Season

PPG    RPG   BLK   

17.3     6.8      0.7 

Career

22.6     8.2      0.9

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nutter44. Show nutter44's posts

[QUOTE]

The questions are these:

Dirk never became a decent defender, but he has a ring, an MVP trophy, an NBA Finals MVP trophy, multiple All-Star appearances, and a lot more.

The NBA is not strictly a man to man league anymore. Team defense can compensate for one bad defensive player.

[/QUOTE]

First, he is not Dirk. he is Kelly Olynyk, an unproven rookie, one that I like. Second, even in team defensive sets, you have to guard people. And good coaches will isolate you on a guy and you have to hold your own until help comes. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

The questions are these:

Dirk never became a decent defender, but he has a ring, an MVP trophy, an NBA Finals MVP trophy, multiple All-Star appearances, and a lot more.

The NBA is not strictly a man to man league anymore. Team defense can compensate for one bad defensive player.

First, he is not Dirk. he is Kelly Olynyk, an unproven rookie, one that I like. Second, even in team defensive sets, you have to guard people. And good coaches will isolate you on a guy and you have to hold your own until help comes. 

Isolating in the post, as KO will be facing as he guards a big, is a lot different than isolating on the perimeter on PGs, 2s. 3s as you are implying. Help D on the post is not nearly as difficult as help D on the perimeter. NOT A FACTOR for KO, BUT A HUGE FACTOR FOR THE GUY COVERING KO and his superior ball skills and handle for a 7ft-er.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from fbombfury. Show fbombfury's posts

For Crying out loud, last year it was Melo and now this year it's Olynyk!  Funny you keep pumping ther same garbage every year.  I wandered over to ESPN and no mention ANYWHERE of Olynyk being the No. 1 rookie and matter of fact he wasn't mentioned anywhere!  The Celtics currently have a total salary commitment of roughly $73.8 million and that leaves them over the luxury tax line!  Danny Boy is spending, but look at what he's got for that?  ----> NOT MUCH!  LMAO Ohno

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from fbombfury. Show fbombfury's posts

In response to fbombfury's comment:
    [QUOTE]

For Crying out loud, last year it was Melo and now this year it's Olynyk!  Funny you keep pumping ther same garbage every year.  I wandered over to ESPN and no mention ANYWHERE of Olynyk being the No. 1 rookie and matter of fact he wasn't mentioned anywhere!  The Celtics currently have a total salary commitment of roughly $73.8 million and that leaves them over the luxury tax line!  Danny Boy is spending, but look at what he's got for that?  ----> NOT MUCH!  LMAO Ohno

That's because you went to the wrong website.

Here:

http://www.nba.com/rookie-ladder/

As you can see, Olynyk is the #1 rookie in the summer league.

Remember last season when Lillard was the #1 rookie in the summer league and ended up winning Rookie of the Year?

Saying there is no mention anywhere of Olynyk being #1 rookie is COMPLETELY FALSE!

[/QUOTE]
    LMAO keep pumping because it's a sure Death Neil!  DA has spent with reckless abandon and is still over the cap!  Missingteeth

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from fbombfury. Show fbombfury's posts

It's simple, the Celtics have KELLY Olynyk while the Lakers have Ryan KELLY!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Over the cap and headed straight to the bottom, enjoy kid!

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from fbombfury. Show fbombfury's posts

In response to fbombfury's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Over the cap and headed straight to the bottom, enjoy kid!

But the Lakers are WAY OVER the cap and at the middle
    Enjoy!

[/QUOTE]
    Says who, you, a Celtic fan who is envious?  Bottom line is this, if Kelly Olynyk was the #1 rated rookie he would be at least listed on both websites.  Of course he is not and Celtics fans grasp at straws and list obscure websites that most people have never heard of.  Enjoy your season at the bottom!

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to kdp59's comment:

he looked good playing against D-Leagers and NBA back ups........lets see him play against other REAL NBA players for a game or two before we put him in the Hall of fame please.

as a reminder, these are Dirk's numbers his first year in the NBA:

20.4 Min/G

40.5% FG

20.6% 3 pt

77.3% FT

3.4 Reb

1.0 Ast

8.2 Pt/G

even hall of famers are rookies in the NBA folks.

While I agree we shouldn't overhype the kid either, if i had to project his type of production in the NBA for his rookie year;

15-17ppg, 7 boards, 3 assists, 1 block, 1 steal per game is not unrealistic...  I see a highly efficient player, a solid power forward, a piece of the puzzle.  

What I see on this board is all the people who said he was a bust on draft day are now back peddling, suggesting we take a conservative approach and assuming that his defense will stink... those people should probably stop making predictions.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts