Kobe Bryant and the Lakers are stumbling to the finish line....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Kobe Bryant and the Lakers are stumbling to the finish line....

Truth be told I must admit I was feeling despondent with our slump coupled with the Lakers going 17 - 1  after the Allstar game.  Did they peak too soon? Hmmm….maybe I wish they had gone 25-1 and hit this slump in the 1st round of playoffs.

Anyway, I am a long time Celtic fan going back to Cousy/Sharman days born & spent 21 years in New England but now over 45 years in the West Coast Bay Area…nice place similar to Boston and night and day different from LA.

I hate the Lakers, firstly because I'm a Boston fan, roots run deep, and a local fan 2nd so I see a lot of the Lakers vs. Golden State & West Coast teams. Last night while at the game and hearing a chant that the Bostonians use, I participated in "Beat LA, Beat LA ". Alas, the Lakers got off to a 10-0 start and I had a sick lump in my throat based on the past.  The Lakers had swept the season series with the Warriors four of the past five seasons and had won 26 of the past 29 meetings.

Thought you'd enjoy a few paragraphs I copied & pasted from a local paper…

Updated Apr 7, 2011 2:10 AM ET
    OAKLAND, CALIF. (AP)

"That remarkable start after the All-Star break for the Los Angeles Lakers suddenly seems like a distant memory.

The Lakers looked awful in defeat for the second straight night against an inferior opponent and third game overall. They lost all chance of catching the Spurs for home-court advantage in the playoffs.

Lakers coach Phil Jackson was short on words after the loss but vowed he wouldn't rest his starters over the final four games, even though there's nothing at stake.

''They rested tonight,'' Jackson said.

Kobe Bryant had 25 points and Pau Gasol scored 18 for the Lakers, who also lost at home to short-handed Utah on Tuesday night. Los Angeles, which started 17-1 after the All-Star break, also lost to the Warriors for the first time in 12 games.

''We looked a little heavy, a little sluggish,'' Bryant said. ''We looked a little fatigued. Guys have to really take care of their bodies and get rest when they need to and get re-energized a little bit.''

Bryant brought the Lakers within eight points in a frantic rally in the fourth quarter, but all that did was make the final score seem close. The Warriors trounced Los Angeles for most of the game and relished every second of it afterward.

A night after a lazy loss at home to the depleted Jazz, the Lakers might have played even worse in ending any chance of earning the top seed in the Western Conference. San Antonio's victory over Sacramento, combined with the Lakers' loss, gave the Spurs home-court advantage throughout the West playoffs.

The Lakers were in constant confusion and made mistake after mistake - often in glaring fashion - with Bryant shouting at teammates seemingly after every one. Some passes went into the stands, shots weren't falling and there was little hustle.

Not exactly the kind of performances the two-time defending champions wanted in the home stretch of the regular season.

The Warriors, who handed out ''Beat LA!'' posters to every fan, withstood Bryant's burst in the first quarter that put Los Angeles ahead by 12 points early

''We're not locked in,'' Bynum said. ''We're complacent. I just think we're going out there and playing kind of stupid basketball. We know that come playoff time, everything's going to be fine.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's hope they can't just turn it on in the playoffs and that our recent slump is over & we demonstrate that even though we've won 2 in a row by beating the Bulls on their court. And we still have a chance for # 1 seed in the East but , at least, let's get homecourt over the Lakers.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxRock1. Show SoxRock1's posts

Re: Kobe Bryant and the Lakers are stumbling to the finish line....

I think that they just let the foot off the gas and are coasting into the playoffs.  Still are a very dangerous team to face.  My guess is that most teams don't look forward to the challenge of playing them.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

hard to tell if they are disinterested because they cant get the # 1 seed, but that wasnt finalized until last night...so im gonna take a guess and say this happens to every NBA team...but its always fun to watch the Lakers get handled.  Ellis was a beast. A few possesions I saw all the laker players just watch as he went to the rim..lol

you got to love when the game is out of hand, down 13 with 3 minutes...Kobe goes into Jack mode....1 on 5, hoisting up 3's every time down court...lmao!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneNation. Show OneNation's posts

I still think they are the best team in the west. Some will argue, but I don't think it's close. Yes, and that includes Dallas and San An.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticFanLA. Show CelticFanLA's posts

In Response to Re: Kobe Bryant and the Lakers are stumbling to the finish line....:
    [QUOTE]I still think they are the best team in the west. Some will argue, but I don't think it's close. Yes, and that includes Dallas and San An.
    Posted by OneNation[/QUOTE]

You forgot about Oklahoma! Lakers would not want to play this team right now.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

The got a taste of the back to back medicine.....Good for them.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneNation. Show OneNation's posts

Just think they turn it up a notch in the playoffs. Hate um, still think they come out of the west.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

They will be fine come playoffs.  I think if healthy they are the favorite to come out of the west even though there are some good teams they will have to beat. 

Sections
Shortcuts