Kobe gets away with Murder!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

Re: Kobe gets away with Murder!

In Response to Re: Kobe gets away with Murder!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kobe gets away with Murder! : Fair enough. Well said. Thanks for taking the time to respond.
    Posted by FlobusMcNugget[/QUOTE]

You are very welcome Flobus!  Thank you for taking the time to read it!  You are one of the legitimate, respectful Laker fans who post here and I appreciate your viewpoints too.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

[QUOTE]Any of you guys noticed Crying-Nation32 was zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz from April 3 to April 13? HAHAHA!!!
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

I sure did.  When times got tough, conspicuous in his absence he was!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CeltsSox. Show CeltsSox's posts

Laker-Nation 32, you mentioned credibility in another thread. Let's test your credibility for a moment. If you believe that the LA Lakers have 16 NBA championships that include the Minneapolis NBA championships then wouldn't you agree that your credibility would be at risk if you didn't apply the "historical" importance of the Celtics 9-3 domination of the Lakers in the NBA finals.

If you want to waive the flag you waive in this site, then you'll have to accept the fact that many Celtics fans savor the most dominate finals stat in the history of professional sports.

Or, you could follow Flobus McNuggets lead and have respectful fun on a Celtics based board.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

[QUOTE]But usually with the offending verse censored out, as it was even in '85!
    Posted by MsLithium21[/QUOTE]

Never knew it was edited or caused such furore at the time. Only have it my Brothers in Arms CD, heard it recently on radio and the song was complete. Did read about a furuore in Canada when the song was banned on the radio.

Most people I know and everyone in my high school used the term "gay" to describe something or someone they didn't like. It's a misuse of the word but it's part of our language at the moment. I know guys who tease each other with the word Bryant got in trouble for using. Is it the right thing to do? Not really.

I think PC has gone mad in some respects when people are calling for books such as To Kill a Mockingbird to be banned. Along with other novels, cartoons and music. These are product of times but doesn't mean they should be consigned to history's dustbin because they can offend people.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Summer 2003 - He either rapes a desk clerk in Colorado, or at the very least cheats on his wife with her. Fall 2003 - Publicly calls out Shaq for being "fat and overweight" coming into training camp, rather than handling it privately.  This eventually forced a choice between Kobe and Shaq on the Lakers front office, breaking up the best 1-2 punch at the time. 2007 - Publicly demands a trade, accusing the Lakers of all franchises of not surrounding him with championship-caliber talent. 2009 - Housekeeper accuses him and his wife of severely abusive behavior, such as making her dig through feces for a pricetag.  Interestingly, most of this was put on his wife, but he did nothing to intervene. 2011 - Gets a technical for arguing about a call that didn't go his way, then calls the ref a F___F___. Yes, I realize I don't know the whole story on any of this.  None of us does.  It is entirely possible that Kobe is a victim of one person after another jealous of his success and wanting a piece of him in some way.  But with so many allegations of such diversity, you have to start wondering about his character.  Especially when he's done most of this without apology and only seems to apologize when he's 100% proven to have done something wrong - i.e. cheat on his wife and use an anti-gay slur on a ref. Do I realize all these things go on all the time in professional sports?  Yes.  Am I willing to forgive it in players, even those not wearing Celtic green?  Yes, of course!  But the apologies need to be sincere and I'm just not sensing that with Kobe.
    Posted by MsLithium21

I don't believe he's actually said sorry to Bennie Adams yet. Which really ought to form part of any sincere apology. I don't think that Bryant is sorry at all, only sorry that it was caught on camera.

You raise good points there. Have to say he lost me as a fan after what happened in Denver. He's a great basketball player, no denying that fact. But as a person he leaves a lot to be desired.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kobe gets away with Murder! : Most people I know and everyone in my high school used the term "gay" to describe something or someone they didn't like. It's a misuse of the word but it's part of our language at the moment. I know guys who tease each other with the word Bryant got in trouble for using. Is it the right thing to do? Not really. I think PC has gone mad in some respects when people are calling for books such as To Kill a Mockingbird to be banned. Along with other novels, cartoons and music. These are product of times but doesn't mean they should be consigned to history's dustbin because they can offend people.
    Posted by RUWorthy[/QUOTE]

Not for nothing -- and I honestly couldn't care less how Kobe feels about homosexuals (or anybody else, for that matter) -- but the homosexuals usurped the meaning of "gay" to suit their own purposes . . .   I therefore see absolutely nothing wrong with anyone else usurping it further to describe things the way they like to describe them. I personally like the term "queer," because homosexuality seems odd to me and the literal definition of that term aptly describes how I feel about it. But, as Worthy points out, we now live in a society where increasingly more segmented and diverse groups of people are conjuring laundry lists of things that are not acceptable . . .   which means that language -- which I hold dear -- is being manipulated to satisfy the whimsy of the few while those who understand and employ it literally are labeled "reactionary."

I find that offensive.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kobe gets away with Murder! : Never knew it was edited or caused such furore at the time. Only have it my Brothers in Arms CD, heard it recently on radio and the song was complete. Did read about a furuore in Canada when the song was banned on the radio. Most people I know and everyone in my high school used the term "gay" to describe something or someone they didn't like. It's a misuse of the word but it's part of our language at the moment. I know guys who tease each other with the word Bryant got in trouble for using. Is it the right thing to do? Not really. I think PC has gone mad in some respects when people are calling for books such as To Kill a Mockingbird to be banned. Along with other novels, cartoons and music. These are product of times but doesn't mean they should be consigned to history's dustbin because they can offend people.

Wow, I didn't realize that about To Kill A Mockingbird.  That is so out of control.  Did you know there are people trying to actually change the language of Huckleberry Finn so it's deemed less offensive?  Measures like that only make it harder for the reader to connect with the time and place in which these books were written.

I do agree with you here, and I probably came across as being more OK with the political correctness thing than I really am.  Even though most positions I take on the world's issues are technically PC, they're just my opinions.  Forcing those positions on other people defeats the whole spirit behind them.  I grew up in the conservative Reagan 80's US and remember what it was like to be in the minority on all that stuff - and how I hated walking on eggshells, which is exactly what political correctness makes everyone do.  We should all be able to speak our minds, provided we're not intentionally hurting the other person.  For example, and here's one I'm pretty sure you'll relate to, I don't have the time or energy to chastise every man who makes a remotely sexist comment.  It's just not worth it.  I'd rather save it for more important pursuits like building my own business and empowering other women!

Oh, and yes, the 45 RPM radio version of Money For Nothing - at least in the US - deleted that entire verse containing That Word.  The album version, on the other hand, did not!  Given the fact that Mark Knopfler was deliberately singing in the voice of a blue collar worker envious of the easy rock star life, I'd probably be more offended if I delivered appliances than if I were gay!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kobe gets away with Murder! : I don't believe he's actually said sorry to Bennie Adams yet. Which really ought to form part of any sincere apology. I don't think that Bryant is sorry at all, only sorry that it was caught on camera. You raise good points there. Have to say he lost me as a fan after what happened in Denver. He's a great basketball player, no denying that fact. But as a person he leaves a lot to be desired.

Agreed 100%.  That's an excellent point about him not saying sorry to Bennie Adams' face.  You'd think he'd be man enough to do at least that.  It's as if his public apology was strictly for PR reasons, much like his public  "apology" to that Colorado woman in '03. 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsalas67m. Show rsalas67m's posts

Murder? Kobe gets away with MURDER? I just have to shake my head with some of the Boston posters preoccupation with Kobe and everything about his life. Are you people that afraid of Bryant competing in the NBA?

Have you Boston fans ever heard of the principle of proportionality? Let's kick a player off the court for what he says. Do you think that KG or Pierce are giving pleasantries to their opponents when their chatting up a storm throughout a game? Oh, I get it--they're saying excuse me, they're helping up an opposing player after he falls.

Let me remind people that b-ball is a full contact sport. These are athletes who are going at it. Sports is another form of aggression that is allowed. And based on the suicidal reactions BY SOME BOSTON FANS who PRAY that an opposing player gets injured, you wonder where the perspective is?

Being an ethnic, I've heard every form of racial slur and epithets growing up. But I learned not to allow irrelevant people affect me. And I sure as hell never went running to the authorities when I experienced it.

I appreciate Kobe's athleticism, passion, and determination to win. I understand that the man is no saint and don't expect him to be off the court. But most successful athletes have egos and arrogance to mentally overcome the challenges before them. And your hatred of Kobe clouds your logic and reasoning. This latest thread reinforces how sports can bring out irrationality and even stupidity among some fans.

Sections
Shortcuts