Kobe is no MJ

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skins and Heart. Show Skins and Heart's posts

Re: Kobe is no MJ

Chicago were not so bad in 1994.

Basically the Pippen show and they took the eventual Eastern Conference champions The Knicks to a game seven.

Considering they'd lost the best player in the game it was a huge achievement. Winning game 6 also allowed the Bulls to farewell Chicago Stadium with a win.

When you consider what the team achieved in 1994, the Bulls were not necessarily a one man team. Perhaps a one man team when it came to enable them to be a championship level side. But still an elite side. Pippen was a beast back then.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

You remember how well pippin played by himself after jordan left right?   He vanished and tony kukoc had to take all the big shots.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skins and Heart. Show Skins and Heart's posts

Take Pippen out the team and they don't get to game 7 against the Knicks.

I remember something about Pippen having a tantrum because Phil Jackson designed a play where Kukoc was getting the final shot of the game. Pretty sure it was game 3. Pippen sat. Bulls win and series at 2-1 in favour of the Knicks.

Not sure how many other games that season where Kukoc took the last shot.

1994 MVP voting.

Player (Team)1st2nd3rd4th5thTotal
    May 24, 1994(10)(7)(5)(3)(1)Points
    Hakeem Olajuwon (HOU)6628610889
    David Robinson (SA)24571720730
    Scottie Pippen (CHI)79371818390
    Shaquille O'Neal (ORL)33213625289
    Patrick Ewing (NYK)13193427255

Also in 1994. All NBA First Team (1st appearnce), All NBA Defensive First Team,
    All Star MVP.

1994 was arguably Pippens best year as an individual in the NBA.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fields4. Show Fields4's posts

In Response to Re: Kobe is no MJ:
    Take Pippen out the team and they don't get to game 7 against the Knicks.   I remember something about Pippen having a tantrum because Phil Jackson designed a play where Kukoc was getting the final shot of the game. Pretty sure it was game 3. Pippen sat. Bulls win and series at 2-1 in favour of the Knicks. Not sure how many other games that season where Kukoc took the last shot. 1994 MVP voting. Player (Team) 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th Total May 24, 1994 (10) (7) (5) (3) (1) Points Hakeem Olajuwon (HOU) 66 28 6 1 0 889 David Robinson (SA) 24 57 17 2 0 730 Scottie Pippen (CHI) 7 9 37 18 18 390 Shaquille O'Neal (ORL) 3 3 21 36 25 289 Patrick Ewing (NYK) 1 3 19 34 27 255 Also in 1994. All NBA First Team (1st appearnce), All NBA Defensive First Team, All Star MVP. 1994 was arguably Pippens best year as an individual in the NBA.
    Posted by Skins and Heart

And he also led the team in all 5 major statistical categories. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ojmega. Show ojmega's posts

He is not MJ, Kobe was ill, did not fight hard enough. 1997 game 5 finals, 103 degree flu. Like an injured animal he was more fierce. MJ had 38pts, 7 reb, 5 ast. 3 stls and 1 block. MJ is on another planet and people like to make the comparisons. MJ was a beast on the court, he had no mercy attitude.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ojmega. Show ojmega's posts

In Response to Re: Kobe is no MJ : And he also led the team in all 5 major statistical categories. 
    Posted by Fields4

To me in my OPINION, the BEST ALL AROUND small forward of ALL TIME. KEY WORDS ALL AROUND dont freak out my BIRD fans.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamLock. Show JamLock's posts

In Response to Re: Kobe is no MJ :
    In Response to Kobe is no MJ : Concur.  KoMe will go out in the manner he is accustomed: selfish, aloof from teammates, critical of teammates, and one of the greatest whiners of all time (he may not lead in this category but is close to number 1). As Always, Posted by JamLock[/ And you think Jordan is perfect? http://thehoopdoctors.com/online2/2011/01/michael-jordan-thinks-women-faint-in-his-presence/
    Posted by dirty52

Never said MJ was perfect, but as a baller he was one of the greatest winners of all time.  Of course, even he's not Bill Russell, but no one is!

As Always,

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamLock. Show JamLock's posts

In Response to Re: Kobe is no MJ : Sorry Duke I have to disagree Kobe had just as much to do with the first three championships as Shaq some stats http://www.lakersuniverse.com/seasons/2000_2001_playoff_stats.htm Who do you think carried them when Shaq on the bench due to poor foul shooting?
    Posted by dirty52

Snicker, grin, hahaha!Laughing

As Always,

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ojmega. Show ojmega's posts

You know I am sorry I didnt clarify myself. When i talked about the best all around small forward. I was speaking of PIP#33 for da bulls.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ojmega. Show ojmega's posts

MJ was no MJ towards the end of his career either.
    Posted by FlobusMcNugget

By then MJ was 39, he came to the Wizards and MSG he scored 55 do you remember that and as not MJ caliber anymore. He still made it on the ALL STAR game. Bryant is only 33 and will be 34 in AUGUST. I made my point he is still 6 years younger wounding down or just not the greatest leader. My answer is not a great leader he just doesnt have that FIRE.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In Response to Re: Kobe is no MJ : Adding Jordan didn't make Chicago a playoff team. In Jordan's first 3 seasons they finished under .500 every season. It wasn't until his 4th season when Pippen joined him that Chicago finished over .500.
    Posted by Mark from Ct

In addition to this comment ( I call timeout, by the way, on my response to trolls, as this happened a long time ago), Mark from Ct said, "The NBA does NOT schedule back-to-back games in the playoffs."

Apparently, Mark from Ct didn't get the memo that BOTH LA teams have back to backs THIS weekend.  The lakers play OKC on Fri and Sat, while the Clips host SA on SAT and Sun.

(Edit - he also said Ramon Sessions would "easily" average 13 points and 10 assists as a laker - last night - 24 mins, 2 points - ZERO assists!!!Mark from CT has hit the trifecta!!!!)

Man, I'm tired of being right!!

We now return to our regularly scheduled self-imposed ignoring of all things troll!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fields4. Show Fields4's posts

In Response to Re: Kobe is no MJ : In addition to this comment ( I call timeout, by the way, on my response to trolls, as this happened a long time ago), Mark from Ct said, "The NBA does NOT schedule back-to-back games in the playoffs." Apparently, Mark from Ct didn't get the memo that BOTH LA teams have back to backs THIS weekend.  The lakers play OKC on Fri and Sat, while the Clips host SA on SAT and Sun. (Edit - he also said Ramon Sessions would "easily" average 13 points and 10 assists as a laker - last night - 24 mins, 2 points - ZERO assists!!!Mark from CT has hit the trifecta!!!!) Man, I'm tired of being right!! We now return to our regularly scheduled self-imposed ignoring of all things troll!!
    Posted by hedleylamarr

By the way, are there any back-to-back games in the conference finals?
    Anyone?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ojmega. Show ojmega's posts

You guys are wrong. Kobe is in the same discussion with MJ: he has five rings, for god's sake.  Forget this personality. He has FIVE rings! He's an awesome player and has been for a long time. Now, as an old guy: none of these guys measure up to Bill Russell, who has his well known 11 rings. But tell me, why doesn't anyone ever mention Sam Jones, who has 10 rings? 
    Posted by tjwoods

RINGS doesnt make a player great. Because tell me that ROBERT HORRY just was in the right place at the right time. 2 with the ROCKETS, 3 with the LAKERS and 2 with the SPURS. HE played with OLAJUWON, SHAQ and KOBE and then with DUNCAN. Come on did anyone have that kind of travel to certain teams and be so blessed. Some players have traveled to more than 8 and not even get into the finals.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Kobe may have 5 titles but Shaq was the man for the first 3 and Pau was really the man the year they beat us........MJ was THE MAN period!!!!....each and every year.....that is the difference between the two....
    Posted by Duke4

Disagree.  MJ had Pippen.  Before he had Pippen, his team went nowhere.  Since the Bulls drafted Pippen, Bulls went on to win 6 titles.   Pippen was the team best defender.  He did all the dirty work on the defense part while MJ did all the dirty work on the offense part which made him to look a better player in NBA!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ojmega. Show ojmega's posts

In Response to Re: Kobe is no MJ : Disagree.  MJ had Pippen.  Before he had Pippen, his team went nowhere.  Since the Bulls drafted Pippen, Bulls went on to win 6 titles.   Pippen was the team best defender.  He did all the dirty work on the defense part while MJ did all the dirty work on the offense part which made him to look a better player in NBA!!
    Posted by GoUconn13

They were both great players and needed each other to win.  We will never know and Pippen also people forget. That in the draft when they called his name no one knew who he was. MJ put him under his wing and created PIP. PIP TOOK ADVANTAGE of the attention MJ was getting from the other teams. NOT like the conspiracies SUPERSTARS do today.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Kobe no MJ but he's second best shooting guard of all time IMO. Believe he is better than West. 

But, I would ask why bury him now? If for some reason the Lakers come back the person who started this thread will feel pretty foolish...

"You remember how well pippin played by himself after jordan left right?   He vanished and tony kukoc had to take all the big shots."

Umm, no. you got that very wrong. You are remembering one moment, albait a bad moment for Pippen. If not for one of the most infamous bad calls in NBA history, Pippen advances to finals without Jordan. A significant accomplishment. Does not diminish Jordan either. No superstar has won it all on their own, or at least it's very rare. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

Wow, so many wrong informations in this thread it is not even funny.

In Response to Re: Kobe is no MJ : Adding Jordan didn't make Chicago a playoff team. In Jordan's first 3 seasons they finished under .500 every season. It wasn't until his 4th season when Pippen joined him that Chicago finished over .500.
    Posted by Mark from Ct

The Bull were 7th in the east in Jordans first year (with a record of .463) but were 10th (.329) the year before. Jordan was injured in almost the entire second year, save for 18 games, and the bulls record was .366.

Remember, MJ retired for 18mo while the rest of the team was in peak shape.  Pippen had a chance to prove he was a franchise player.  I had to laugh when people said he was the 2nd best player in the world.  As I recall, tony kukoc had to become the go to guy. ... My point being, that team was a .500 team without MJ.  MJ was just that good.
    Posted by cole-ely

Chicago lost its best player (and one of the best of all time) and replaced him with...do you have an idea with whom? The bulls still won 55 games without Jordan and maybe some more if Pippen wasn't injured. Not excatly .500! Pippen led his team in ALL important categories (like a typical Robin). Actually they made it almost to the conference finals (game 7 in the second round), that was more than Jordan ever reached without Pippen. Maybe Pippen wasn't the second best player in the league (that would have been Hakeem IMO), but he was clearly a great player.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MajicMVP. Show MajicMVP's posts

Kobe is no MJ.

MJ is the best player in NBA history.

Russell is no MJ, MJ is #1, Russell is not.
    Bird is no MJ, MJ is #1, Bird is not.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MajicMVP. Show MajicMVP's posts

Don't believe me?

ESPN Athlete of the Century:
    1. Jordan, 13. Wilt, 17. Magic, 18 Russell

http://espn.go.com/sportscentury/athletes.html

AP basketball player of the century:

1. Jordan, 2. Oscar, 3. Wilt, 4. Russell, 5. Magic

http://lubbockonline.com/stories/121199/pro_1211990096.shtml

SLAM Magazine Top 50:

1. Jordan, 2. Wilt, 3. Russell

http://www.slamonline.com/online/the-magazine/features/2009/06/the-new-top-50/

Sport Magazine's Greatest Athlete of the Century

1. Jordan

AP Top 100 Athletes of the 20th Century

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=272562

2. Jordan, 10. Wilt, 16. Russell

So pray tell, who voted Russell #1 of all time in basketball? And why wasn't he even though he almost doubled Jordan's # of rings?

Simple, rings in the Jurassic era weren't worth much...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Posted by Mark from Ct

Just kind of wondering where this guy is....................the same one who said, "the NBA doesn't schedule playoff games on back to back nights, period."

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

Kobe is the greatest player in NBA history that noone wants to play with!!!

Kobe is a fantastic player, and somewhat unlikable person( back-stabber, egotistical, cheats on wife).

In fairness, he's does a lot of good things too. The bad just stands out.

He's the Barry Bonds of the NBA, sort of.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Kobe no MJ but he's second best shooting guard of all time IMO. Believe he is better than West.  But, I would ask why bury him now? If for some reason the Lakers come back the person who started this thread will feel pretty foolish... " You remember how well pippin played by himself after jordan left right?   He vanished and tony kukoc had to take all the big shots." Umm, no. you got that very wrong. You are remembering one moment, albait a bad moment for Pippen. If not for one of the most infamous bad calls in NBA history, Pippen advances to finals without Jordan. A significant accomplishment. Does not diminish Jordan either. No superstar has won it all on their own, or at least it's very rare. 
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker

Exactly. To say Kobe is no MJ is no insult. It's like saying U2 is no Beatles.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from OC-CeltsFan. Show OC-CeltsFan's posts

Everyone seems to know that he is no MJ.....except for Kome himself.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LakerFan67. Show LakerFan67's posts

Kobe never calls himself the 2nd coming of MJ. And historically, he would get angry with reporters always making those comparisons. This is a different era, different players, different syles. The league has changed the rules to make the NBA more balanced. It introduced the 3-point shot, the killer luxury tax, allowed for zone defense to counteract the dominance of Shaq O'Neal, allows for more hand-checking & flexbility for the refs to influence games by calling even phantom flagrant fouls, & on & on....That's why you have professional flopping, something Kobe detests.

Yes Kobe is no MJ. Bryant stands out on his own for his own accomplishments and he is a competitor with serious flaws. He plays injured, hogs the ball too much that dusrupts the team & makes the game harder than it should be. But without him, the Lakers would not have 5 titles. And if he played for any other franchise, he would get the same accolades & criticism.

So quit comparing apples & oranges. Some of the greatest players in the NBA never won a title or won far fewer titles than Kobe. When he retires and people look back at his career, people will remember his achievements, his exceptional talent.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Kobe never calls himself the 2nd coming of MJ. And historically, he would get angry with reporters always making those comparisons. This is a different era, different players, different syles. The league has changed the rules to make the NBA more balanced. It introduced the 3-point shot, the killer luxury tax, allowed for zone defense to counteract the dominance of Shaq O'Neal, allows for more hand-checking & flexbility for the refs to influence games by calling even phantom flagrant fouls, & on & on....That's why you have professional flopping, something Kobe detests. Yes Kobe is no MJ. Bryant stands out on his own for his own accomplishments and he is a competitor with serious flaws. He plays injured, hogs the ball too much that dusrupts the team & makes the game harder than it should be. But without him, the Lakers would not have 5 titles. And if he played for any other franchise, he would get the same accolades & criticism. So quit comparing apples & oranges. Some of the greatest players in the NBA never won a title or won far fewer titles than Kobe. When he retires and people look back at his career, people will remember his achievements, his exceptional talent.
    Posted by LakerFan67

Or is cut!!

Sections
Shortcuts