Kobe on Perk

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Kobe on Perk

"The Boston thing I just didn't get, I mean Perk was instrumental against us and the way the Celtics did things defensively"

Sound like a journeyman BUM to me

I like the trade and have given a lot of my time up into explainigng why... but to the FOOLS out there who undervalue Perk...

Thats from the mouth of Kob... and the reports have it that the Heat players cheered and high fived when they saw the trade news scroll in their locker room...

Get a clue... Perk was a VERY good Center

Look at the value he brought back....a 24 year old #5 pick 16-6 forward, LA's #1 pick in the teens, 7p-4r backup 27 yr old Center AND 4.5 million off the books...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Re: Kobe on Perk

Can't wait to see their faces when they still lose us....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

..."and reports have it"...

credibility in reporting is over-rated.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoctorCO. Show DoctorCO's posts

ramekap,

Boston has 2 BIG WINS over MIA....with NO PERK....was perk that much of a diff. PErk was not bill russell. The story was great but look at the reality of his playing

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsalas67m. Show rsalas67m's posts

Perkins complimented the Boston team. Chemistry is critical to team success in the NBA. It's obvious that Ainge is a risk taker based on this recent trade. Danny obviously believes in Shaq.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: Kobe on Perk:
    ramekap, Boston has 2 BIG WINS over MIA....with NO PERK....was perk that much of a diff. PErk was not bill russell. The story was great but look at the reality of his playing
    Posted by DoctorCO

The only credible win was the last one with Perk... miami was a lost .500 team in the 1st 3 weeks of the seaosn when we won w/o Perk

but I have said that I don't fear Miami still... Baby (charges on LBJ) and Shaq (offense, motivates vs. old club, weak C's on Heat) over Perk vs. them is fine... esp w/ Green giving solid mins on LeBron and thier weak bench and a no longer exhausted Pierce fully dangerous

It is LA we'd be worse against... let us get to the finals then worry about it

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

Aren't the acquisitions all gonna be free agents?  It's more than 4.5 million.  It's a big contract for a guy who has a great perimeter defense game and not much else.  The core guys and now we have 2 centers and two great 3 defenders.  You know the biggest problem or missing feature or weakness of the Celtics has been addressed:  a back up small forward.  Perkins is great but we had the best record in the conference without him all year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Aren't the acquisitions all gonna be free agents?  It's more than 4.5 million.  It's a big contract for a guy who has a great perimeter defense game and not much else.  The core guys and now we have 2 centers and two great 3 defenders.  You know the biggest problem or missing feature or weakness of the Celtics has been addressed:  a back up small forward.  Perkins is great but we had the best record in the conference without him all year.
    Posted by shines01

You could sign Brewer and Thornton for less than Green will cost next year

If you held onto Perk then you lose any chance at Howard.. yet w/ Green/Krstic/Murphy we have an equal shot at a title IMO.. same chance @ knocking off most teams, better chance against a few... only worse vs. LA... and if we add Brewer to go TA on Kobe for 8-12 mins a game.. with Green keeping PP/Ray even more rested than they were a year ago... we'd be ok

Baby/Shaq can play Howard fine, and if LA sticks w/ its crunch time lineup w/ Odom over Bynum... then we are better w/ Green closing games than Baby

and it is far more likely Green establish himself as a borderline all-star, therefore having the cache to help Rondo and Pierce lure Howard here

but Danny made many gambles here, he likely couldn't have been sure Brewer AND Thornton would be bought out... and he has a huge eye on 2012/Howard, no doubt about that

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

So far Danny looks like a genius again.  They really made some nice moves.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

Oh yeah the best part is this is ap-re-existing system.  None of these new guys need to be stars.  We already have plenty of stars.  We need reliable subs for the playoffs.  They are heare to learn the way the Celtics play and I'm sure they already have some idea what that means.  It's got to be a good situation for them; a good feeling coming into a successful team with a few plans and an idea on how to accomplish them and the players necessary to do it all.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

if green and kristic and murphy learn this help defense scheme then we have lost nothing in perk.  we were just fine all year without him.  perkins did do some good things, mostly banging around opposing 5's.  davis does that well too.  perkins was not a consistent force either rebounding or scoring and had a lot of problems getting his hands and feet to work together.  by all appearances he was maxed out and arguably not worth more than what he turned down.

just think about it- we played 3 on 5 with perkins and rondo in the game, now we are up to 4 on 5 as kristic, murphy, davis and shak all are viable offensive players whereas perkins wasn't.  that cannot be underestimated, all the extra cutting and running because perk could not pull his weight on offense. 

and he was an okay rebounder, prone to being a horrible rebounder at times and very little of the time was he a really good rebounder for a center.

the crap he did with the referees cost this team a lot of collective credibility.  i have watched for years how the overly self-important perkins rode referees like sea biscuit for 47 minutes and then we WOULD NOT get the benefit of the doubt on any close calls late.

SINCE PERK WAS OUT INJURED we did a lot better in that regard.

Perkins was never smart enough of un-stubborn enough to stop doing the screaming at the refs.  in reality, the constant over-berating of the refs was hurting all the positive things that perkins did.  now that the celts do not have a ref killer, watch how we get credibility again.  it really does matter!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PACelt. Show PACelt's posts

I like Perk, but he isn't playing.  If the goal is to maintain homecourt in the east and at least against the Lakers, moves had to be made that would facilitate that goal.  We traded 2 players that are not currently playing.  Marquis is done for the season.  Perk was projected to be out for 2-3 weeks. 

Were we to play short-handed until their return?  How many games would be lost?  How many additional miles would be placed on the rest of the players?  Sure I realize that the Erden trade also helped to deplete the bigs, but we were desperately needing a back up for PP prior to any trades.  Also how far could we have gone with Semih as the starting center?

I hope things work out for Perk.  Look forward to seeing him in next year's finals.

PA

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

In Response to Re: Kobe on Perk : You could sign Brewer and Thornton for less than Green will cost next year If you held onto Perk then you lose any chance at Howard.. yet w/ Green/Krstic/Murphy we have an equal shot at a title IMO.. same chance @ knocking off most teams, better chance against a few... only worse vs. LA... and if we add Brewer to go TA on Kobe for 8-12 mins a game.. with Green keeping PP/Ray even more rested than they were a year ago... we'd be ok Baby/Shaq can play Howard fine, and if LA sticks w/ its crunch time lineup w/ Odom over Bynum... then we are better w/ Green closing games than Baby and it is far more likely Green establish himself as a borderline all-star, therefore having the cache to help Rondo and Pierce lure Howard here but Danny made many gambles here, he likely couldn't have been sure Brewer AND Thornton would be bought out... and he has a huge eye on 2012/Howard, no doubt about that
    Posted by rameakap

Thornton is a hot mess!  He hasn't improved since his rookie season.  Low BBIQ.  No thanks.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlobusMcNugget. Show FlobusMcNugget's posts

I believe Kobe also referred to Perkins as "the best low post defender in the league."

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

if green and kristic and murphy learn this help defense scheme then we have lost nothing in perk.  we were just fine all year without him.  perkins did do some good things, mostly banging around opposing 5's.  davis does that well too.  perkins was not a consistent force either rebounding or scoring and had a lot of problems getting his hands and feet to work together.  by all appearances he was maxed out and arguably not worth more than what he turned down. just think about it- we played 3 on 5 with perkins and rondo in the game, now we are up to 4 on 5 as kristic, murphy, davis and shak all are viable offensive players whereas perkins wasn't.  that cannot be underestimated, all the extra cutting and running because perk could not pull his weight on offense.  and he was an okay rebounder, prone to being a horrible rebounder at times and very little of the time was he a really good rebounder for a center. the crap he did with the referees cost this team a lot of collective credibility.  i have watched for years how the overly self-important perkins rode referees like sea biscuit for 47 minutes and then we WOULD NOT get the benefit of the doubt on any close calls late. SINCE PERK WAS OUT INJURED we did a lot better in that regard. Perkins was never smart enough of un-stubborn enough to stop doing the screaming at the refs.  in reality, the constant over-berating of the refs was hurting all the positive things that perkins did.  now that the celts do not have a ref killer, watch how we get credibility again.  it really does matter!!
    Posted by aciemvp

I guess Perk supporters are downplaying the injury part... it would hurt us if he'd been out w/ shaq at the same time

But Shaq's return is far ,more important than Murph/Krstic playing great help D

18-24 mins of Shaq in the playoffs means there will be just 8-12 mins for ONE of Perk/Krstic.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

Do you really think the Celtics are going to get 18-24 minutes a game with Shaq? It would be nice but I really don't see it realistically happening.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

Perk was a liability on offense, but a key component of the Celtics league best defense. The statistic that states that we are almost as good at defense without him lies. It takes into account play against average teams poor teams and good teams. Without Perk the Celtics can play solid defense against most teams. The question that can only be answered in the up coming play-offs is can we play adequate defense to win a seven game series agaist teams strong front courts such as Orlando and the Lakers.

While the Celtics have beaten all of the elite teams without Perk except Dallas, These games were regular season games, and some wins were under non-play-off conditions. Against the Spurs, the Spurs were on the road on the game second of a back to back. 

After last year the evidence showed that if we had a Healthy KG and Perk, banner number 18 would be hanging from the rafters. This year, I guess we will see if the gamble worked.

A sub was needed for Pierce, instead we got someone that could replace him.
    Was it worth it? Time will tell.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Do you really think the Celtics are going to get 18-24 minutes a game with Shaq? It would be nice but I really don't see it realistically happening.
    Posted by ANONMD08

He came back from a thumb injury last season, that sounded more serious than his current injury, to play 23.5 mins vs. Celts and give a 13-5 in the East semi's

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CeltsSox. Show CeltsSox's posts

It sure seems to me that Kobe was doing nothing more than playing the mind game with Shaq. If one looks at Perks actual participation in the 2008 championship win, Perk has nothing more than a minor impact on Celtics defensive success. He simply was not on the floor enough to impact the game. Shaq and Kobe have quite a mind game going on and Kobe is simply pulling a "Phil Jackson". It's pretty obvious that the guys that Danny added, plus what appears to be a motivated Shaq, will give Kobe and the Lakers quite a challenge. That is, if the Lakers make it out of West. Perk is a great person, a great team player, however his offense and lack of rebounding capabilities are not condusive of a $34 M player. Let's not forget that Perk played Game 6 last year and had little impact on the Lakers. Had Sheed stepped up on the Boards and/or the C's had the guys that Danny just obtained, the C's win Game 7 going away.

Perk's Stats for the 2008 Finals

Game      Min        Reb         Points    Blocked Shots

1         23.01      4                   1               1
          2         13.41      0                   7               0
          3         28.27      6                   8               2
          4         13.15       1                 2               1
          5        DNP
          6       13:25          4                 2                1

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from walk2run. Show walk2run's posts

Hands of Stone can take his act to Tornado Alley....thanks for the memories Perk! (i.e. never committing a foul, can't set a pick without it being called illegal, unnecessary Ts, every pass thrown to him down low was an adventure, the gathering of himself for a layup...and 50-50 whether it would go in, plodding etc.) It's been nice.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

In Response to Kobe on Perk:
    "The Boston thing I just didn't get, I mean Perk was instrumental against us and the way the Celtics did things defensively" Sound like a journeyman BUM to me I like the trade and have given a lot of my time up into explainigng why... but to the FOOLS out there who undervalue Perk... Thats from the mouth of Kob... and the reports have it that the Heat players cheered and high fived when they saw the trade news scroll in their locker room... Get a clue... Perk was a VERY good Center Look at the value he brought back....a 24 year old #5 pick 16-6 forward, LA's #1 pick in the teens, 7p-4r backup 27 yr old Center AND 4.5 million off the books...
    Posted by rameakap

PERK was, at best, an average center.  And how could you believe what Kobe says?  Kobe would love to play against the Celtics in the Finals again with two "scoring-challenged" starters, Rondo and Perk.  In the Finals last season, Perk did not outplay Bynum although Bynum was virtually playing on one leg.  From a defensive standpoint, Perk had ZERO blocked shots in Finals.  ZERO.

We were able to maintain the East's best record this season without Perk so I don't think posters are undervaluing him.  Perk fit perfectly into what the Celtics did, DEFENSIVELY.  Since we are a team defense-oriented team, we will be able to overcome his absence.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

The truth is that he did play in games one through six.

Games:
    1. 24 minutes
    2. 31 minutes
    3. 21 minutes
    4. 24 minutes
    5. 31 minutes
    6. 6 minutes with an injury

Look it up -

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201006130BOS.html

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

Only on offense.

The Celts are defensive team first and he was a key ingredient for 2008, and 2010.

The rest is revisionist history.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneNation. Show OneNation's posts

Why is anyone concerned with what Kobe has to think? He's taking you chumps for a ride just by talking about him. Again, can anyone tell me why his opinion matters?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BoylestonBB. Show BoylestonBB's posts

Kobe just trying to get in our heads - won't work.

Sections
Shortcuts