Kobe/Shaq & Rings

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Kobe/Shaq & Rings

I just read an article in which Shaq thinks the Celtics have an excellent chance at winning #18 this season (maybe....maybe not)......his motivation, of course, is to win his 5th ring and tie Kobe.....this got me thinking......if it happens, the number of rings will be even....what about the historic perspective?

Kobe.....he won all 5 rings in the same city and with the same franchise.....Shaq would have won with 3 teams....edge? Kobe IMHO ......winning and staying with the same franchise means a lot...

Shaq.....he was definitely the go to guy for the first 3....he was "Batman to Kobe's Robin".....like "Michael and Scottie"......looking at it this way? edge: Shaq
    There is no doubt that Kobe was very important....but he couldn't win again until Gasol came along....

Bottom line....for me, it boils down to all 5 titles being won in LA...slight edge goes to Kobe........just one (old) man's opinion.....thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KB24RULZ. Show KB24RULZ's posts

Re: Kobe/Shaq & Rings

Yeah, snaq aka the big minimum aint got a fifth ring and won't ever get one so KB24 will always be up on him especially when KB24 wins his 2nd 3-peat and 6th championship ring.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

may happen.....may not......that's why they play the games.....I still think Miami is going to get interesting come playoff time....we shall see...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

I'm not sure how much motivation there is from Shaq to beat Bryant per see. He'd like to contribute to a championship team, I don't know if the Celtics were the only option available to him. If Bryant didn't want him back in L.A. then it's another pox on his house as far as I'm concerned. Although I don't know if they are still feuding?

They should have gotten over all that by now. But both 'men' suffer badly from the Peter Pan syndrome.

Shaq's arrival helped us sign Byrant, that's the first piece in the puzzle. Divac was traded for Bryants rights. Fortunately Bryant turned out to be a good player, and not a Gerald Green type. If not for Shaq being in L.A we may not have made the move for Bryant. So things would have been completely different in L.A. if not for Shaq. I'd say that even though he's not with us any longer, he is still partly responsible for Bryant being a Laker and therefore has a minor part in our last two championships.

I think the most valuable person during the last 5 titles is Phil Jackson, we didn't get past Utah before he arrived and it's was the implosion at Chicago that led him to join us. Two interesting points with that. We needed Jackson to get into the finals. And also in turn we needed Michael Jordan out of the league, before his bizare come-back with Washington, to rise to dominance. Utah had their window in 1997 and 1998. And even in our first season with Jackson we still couldn't get into the finals.

My personal loathing for Bryant will always cloud my opinion of him. And saying that Jackson is the key. It's cruel however to say that Bryant always needs help to win championships. But who hasn't? Nobody wins a NBA title on their own, this isn't tennis so it's not fair for people to say that Bryant needed help to win. Magic, Bird, Jordan etc all needed at least one good to great team mate to help them win titles. Very rarely does an indiviual on their own lift a team to the finals. One I can think of is Iverson. But this wasn't the case with Bryant with help from Shaq (Bryant in a support role)) and (Bryant leading) Gasol. For an individual do take their team to the finals, everything must fall their way.

I think Shaq's accomplishments, in 1995 shouldn't be over looked when rating both he and Bryant. Shaq took a very young team to the finals. The only team to come out of the East when Jordan was playing for the Bulls after they'd won their first three championships. I don't think Bryant has accomplished anything like that. I can't think of anything that compares to it. His team beat the BEST team of his generation to get to the finals. Yes they were thumped by the Rockets. But they still made it to the finals. Which was a massive achievement for Orlando. If only they'd won, that Orlando team would almost be up there with Kareem's championship Bucks side.

That achievement in 1995 gives Shaq the edge. He's also the reason the we won our 3 titles in a row, and a reason why Bryant is a Laker.

I look forward to seeing #34 retired at Staples in the very near future. Although given our history with honoring players this may well not happen.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Good analysis.....I hadn't though about it in that light.....I remember the day the Lakers signed Shaq.....needless to say, I wasn't too happy to hear the news....imagine how different the record books across sports would look had free agency not happened....it was good for the players.......but to a guy like me who grew up with a generation of teams being able to stay together....that was when the games really changed.....baseball and basketball especially...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

I really don't know much about free agency. I don't think it's necessarily bad in that players can have a more direct say in where they play. It's bad for teams though who lose players and are not compensated. Mixed feelings about it all.

I wouldn't be surprised if Shaq agreed to play for us before or during the 95/96 season. 

What frustrates me with him is that he could have been so much better. He can at times be a very lazy player, and does create issues wherever he goes. Although didn't hear much in regards to his time in Cleveland. I guess nothing he could have done there would have topped what West did! 

Shaq has never played 82 games, I find that astounding. Although I don't think he missed many playoff games.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Free agency accomplished many things.....it made athletes incredibly rich.....and many lost their drive after signing huge contracts (think Dave Parker).....it ended an era where teams could "stay together"....the reserve clause gave the owners total control.....but now it is just the opposite and it's out of control...the player agents are out of control as well.....fans were the ones that really lost....of course, younger fans who didn't witness the transition to free agency have nothing to compare today's sports to....teams like the Pirates and Royals are no longer relevant....if the Yankees couldn't sign the Hunters, Jacksons, and Sabathia's throughout the last 25 years....how many championships would they have? ....don't get me wrong...I wish I had Steinbrenner as my team's owner.....or Buss for that fact....but anyone who says George wasn't buying championships doesn't get it....it's the way of life nowadays....but for someone who grew up in the 50's & '60's I can tell you......the "Golden Age" was just that......sports today is nothing like it used to be for the fans who remember...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Louisio. Show Louisio's posts

The whole question in my view revolves around who the Celtics defeat in the finals, in the event they get their 18th banner with Shaq.

If it's against the Lakers, I think the advantage strongly tilts toward Shaq, because of the head to head.

If it's against someone else, then I think the advantage still goes to Shaq, though not as decisively, because in the minds of most fans, it would be 5 rings for both, but Shaq as the best player on 3 (and arguably even 4) of those title teams, while for Kobe it's 2.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ray2424. Show ray2424's posts

In Response to Re: Kobe/Shaq & Rings:
    I'm not sure how much motivation there is from Shaq to beat Bryant per see. He'd like to contribute to a championship team, I don't know if the Celtics were the only option available to him. If Bryant didn't want him back in L.A. then it's another pox on his house as far as I'm concerned. Although I don't know if they are still feuding? They should have gotten over all that by now. But both 'men' suffer badly from the Peter Pan syndrome. Shaq's arrival helped us sign Byrant, that's the first piece in the puzzle. Divac was traded for Bryants rights. Fortunately Bryant turned out to be a good player, and not a Gerald Green type. If not for Shaq being in L.A we may not have made the move for Bryant. So things would have been completely different in L.A. if not for Shaq. I'd say that even though he's not with us any longer, he is still partly responsible for Bryant being a Laker and therefore has a minor part in our last two championships. I think the most valuable person during the last 5 titles is Phil Jackson, we didn't get past Utah before he arrived and it's was the implosion at Chicago that led him to join us. Two interesting points with that. We needed Jackson to get into the finals. And also in turn we needed Michael Jordan out of the league, before his bizare come-back with Washington, to rise to dominance. Utah had their window in 1997 and 1998. And even in our first season with Jackson we still couldn't get into the finals. My personal loathing for Bryant will always cloud my opinion of him. And saying that Jackson is the key. It's cruel however to say that Bryant always needs help to win championships. But who hasn't? Nobody wins a NBA title on their own, this isn't tennis so it's not fair for people to say that Bryant needed help to win. Magic, Bird, Jordan etc all needed at least one good to great team mate to help them win titles. Very rarely does an indiviual on their own lift a team to the finals. One I can think of is Iverson. But this wasn't the case with Bryant with help from Shaq (Bryant in a support role)) and (Bryant leading) Gasol. For an individual do take their team to the finals, everything must fall their way. I think Shaq's accomplishments, in 1995 shouldn't be over looked when rating both he and Bryant. Shaq took a very young team to the finals. The only team to come out of the East when Jordan was playing for the Bulls after they'd won their first three championships. I don't think Bryant has accomplished anything like that. I can't think of anything that compares to it. His team beat the BEST team of his generation to get to the finals. Yes they were thumped by the Rockets. But they still made it to the finals. Which was a massive achievement for Orlando. If only they'd won, that Orlando team would almost be up there with Kareem's championship Bucks side. That achievement in 1995 gives Shaq the edge. He's also the reason the we won our 3 titles in a row, and a reason why Bryant is a Laker. I look forward to seeing #34 retired at Staples in the very near future. Although given our history with honoring players this may well not happen.
    Posted by RUWorthy

Forget Shaq! Even though he won 3 titles with the Lakers, he has moved around too many times and especially now he has joined the Lakers all time rival team, there's no way they should retire his jersey in the staple center. Shaq is lazy and I think it's a bad move for the Celtics because that makes them a lot slower now. As far as Kobe not winning a championship "by himself", did you see the team's he had after shaq left???? Smush Parker, Kwame Brown, and Luke Walton. Garbage, garbage, and garbage and Kobe still made sure they made the playoffs besides that one year right after Shaq left, competing with a powerhouse western conf.  Kobe didn't even have any decent talent around him, like lebron did. Lamar was young and not even close to what he is today, as far as aggressiveness and heart. Kobe makes his team strong minded and truly brings the best out of each player. I think KObe is very underrated as a leader. He might not dish passes out like Lebron and dance with them and get buddy..buddy.. but he turns his teammates into champions. I think if he had lebrons team with some talented players, he would of made noise for sure!!!   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kobedaman. Show kobedaman's posts

The whole question in my view revolves around who the Celtics defeat in the finals, in the event they get their 18th banner with Shaq. If it's against the Lakers, I think the advantage strongly tilts toward Shaq, because of the head to head. If it's against someone else, then I think the advantage still goes to Shaq, though not as decisively, because in the minds of most fans, it would be 5 rings for both, but Shaq as the best player on 3 (and arguably even 4) of those title teams, while for Kobe it's 2.
    Posted by Louisio

I guess now that Shaq is playing for your team you say that about Shaq.  Bryannt has been the best player in the league for 7 or 8 years now and without him and a few other Laker players Shaq has ZERO rings.  Funny this is now that Bryant has passed the old big man Shaq said on national TV that he no longer competing against Kobe and his benchmark is other big men at his position.  lol are you kidding me?  Shaq is now looking up a Bryant and there is not one thing he can do about it except sign with the Celtics in hopes of riding a bandwagon to the next Finals. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bobbarcker. Show Bobbarcker's posts

The whole question in my view revolves around who the Celtics defeat in the finals, in the event they get their 18th banner with Shaq. If it's against the Lakers, I think the advantage strongly tilts toward Shaq, because of the head to head. If it's against someone else, then I think the advantage still goes to Shaq, though not as decisively, because in the minds of most fans, it would be 5 rings for both, but Shaq as the best player on 3 (and arguably even 4) of those title teams, while for Kobe it's 2.
    Posted by Louisio

Shaq is a bit-playing role player at this stage, and Kobe is still the driving force and lead player of a favorite to win it all team. Kobe has mastered all elements of the game of basketball, and he is only one of a few in this whole era to do so. Shaq had a period where he dominated with his size and strength, and that time has passed. Shaq has zero advantage over Kobe, and slim no chance of ever having an advantage.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LAkeravenger. Show LAkeravenger's posts

I'm not sure how much motivation there is from Shaq to beat Bryant per see. He'd like to contribute to a championship team, I don't know if the Celtics were the only option available to him. If Bryant didn't want him back in L.A. then it's another pox on his house as far as I'm concerned. Although I don't know if they are still feuding? They should have gotten over all that by now. But both 'men' suffer badly from the Peter Pan syndrome. Shaq's arrival helped us sign Byrant, that's the first piece in the puzzle. Divac was traded for Bryants rights. Fortunately Bryant turned out to be a good player, and not a Gerald Green type. If not for Shaq being in L.A we may not have made the move for Bryant. So things would have been completely different in L.A. if not for Shaq. I'd say that even though he's not with us any longer, he is still partly responsible for Bryant being a Laker and therefore has a minor part in our last two championships. I think the most valuable person during the last 5 titles is Phil Jackson, we didn't get past Utah before he arrived and it's was the implosion at Chicago that led him to join us. Two interesting points with that. We needed Jackson to get into the finals. And also in turn we needed Michael Jordan out of the league, before his bizare come-back with Washington, to rise to dominance. Utah had their window in 1997 and 1998. And even in our first season with Jackson we still couldn't get into the finals. My personal loathing for Bryant will always cloud my opinion of him. And saying that Jackson is the key. It's cruel however to say that Bryant always needs help to win championships. But who hasn't? Nobody wins a NBA title on their own, this isn't tennis so it's not fair for people to say that Bryant needed help to win. Magic, Bird, Jordan etc all needed at least one good to great team mate to help them win titles. Very rarely does an indiviual on their own lift a team to the finals. One I can think of is Iverson. But this wasn't the case with Bryant with help from Shaq (Bryant in a support role)) and (Bryant leading) Gasol. For an individual do take their team to the finals, everything must fall their way. I think Shaq's accomplishments, in 1995 shouldn't be over looked when rating both he and Bryant. Shaq took a very young team to the finals. The only team to come out of the East when Jordan was playing for the Bulls after they'd won their first three championships. I don't think Bryant has accomplished anything like that. I can't think of anything that compares to it. His team beat the BEST team of his generation to get to the finals. Yes they were thumped by the Rockets. But they still made it to the finals. Which was a massive achievement for Orlando. If only they'd won, that Orlando team would almost be up there with Kareem's championship Bucks side. That achievement in 1995 gives Shaq the edge. He's also the reason the we won our 3 titles in a row, and a reason why Bryant is a Laker. I look forward to seeing #34 retired at Staples in the very near future. Although given our history with honoring players this may well not happen.
    Posted by RUWorthy

Correction: Jackson's first year with the Lakers produced a ring.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

In Response to Re: Kobe/Shaq & Rings : Forget Shaq! Even though he won 3 titles with the Lakers, he has moved around too many times and especially now he has joined the Lakers all time rival team, there's no way they should retire his jersey in the staple center. Shaq is lazy and I think it's a bad move for the Celtics because that makes them a lot slower now. As far as Kobe not winning a championship "by himself", did you see the team's he had after shaq left???? Smush Parker, Kwame Brown, and Luke Walton. Garbage, garbage, and garbage and Kobe still made sure they made the playoffs besides that one year right after Shaq left, competing with a powerhouse western conf.  Kobe didn't even have any decent talent around him, like lebron did. Lamar was young and not even close to what he is today, as far as aggressiveness and heart. Kobe makes his team strong minded and truly brings the best out of each player. I think KObe is very underrated as a leader. He might not dish passes out like Lebron and dance with them and get buddy..buddy.. but he turns his teammates into champions. I think if he had lebrons team with some talented players, he would of made noise for sure!!!   
    Posted by ray2424

Check out the New Troll on the Block!!  Can any of them say anything different?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ray2424. Show ray2424's posts

In Response to Re: Kobe/Shaq & Rings : Check out the New Troll on the Block!!  Can any of them say anything different?
    Posted by BirdandCowens

You make no sense to my post!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In Response to Re: Kobe/Shaq & Rings : You make no sense to my post!!!
    Posted by ray2424

What is this ANOTHER new lakers troll?  I thought we were getting rid of these clowns?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

The Lakers put Shaq in the bus shipped him out while in his prime. He was the major contributor in the 3 laker's championship. He won one for Miami and they shipped 'em out too. Kobe and Lebron has the same attitude & personality,  Shaq  really didn't care of Cleveland.

When he joined the Celtics, he was being respectful and willing to bend just to win a championship.
    If he wins one for the Celtics, the Celtics should keep him and try 19th. If he
    accomplish winning 19th, He should acknowledge the Celtics as his greatest triumph of his career and retire as a Celtics.
    Rorry won rings in 4 different team, John Sally won 3 rings in 3 different team. They are contributors but not a major one like Shaq.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ray2424. Show ray2424's posts

In Response to Re: Kobe/Shaq & Rings : What is this ANOTHER new lakers troll?  I thought we were getting rid of these clowns?
    Posted by hedleylamarr

I'm just saying how it is..... You mean CHAMPS instead of clowns, right?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from KB24RULZ. Show KB24RULZ's posts

The Lakers put Shaq in the bus shipped him out while in his prime. He was the major contributor in the 3 laker's championship. He won one for Miami and they shipped 'em out too. Kobe and Lebron has the same attitude & personality,  Shaq  really didn't care of Cleveland. When he joined the Celtics, he was being respectful and willing to bend just to win a championship. If he wins one for the Celtics, the Celtics should keep him and try 19th. If he accomplish winning 19th, He should acknowledge the Celtics as his greatest triumph of his career and retire as a Celtics. Rorry won rings in 4 different team, John Sally won 3 rings in 3 different team. They are contributors but not a major one like Shaq.
    Posted by CHEisCHE

Celt fans.....just love living in the land of IFS. No wonder they were irrelevant for so long until an act of disgust from McFale.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

Free agency accomplished many things.....it made athletes incredibly rich.....and many lost their drive after signing huge contracts (think Dave Parker).....it ended an era where teams could "stay together"....the reserve clause gave the owners total control.....but now it is just the opposite and it's out of control...the player agents are out of control as well.....fans were the ones that really lost....of course, younger fans who didn't witness the transition to free agency have nothing to compare today's sports to....teams like the Pirates and Royals are no longer relevant....if the Yankees couldn't sign the Hunters, Jacksons, and Sabathia's throughout the last 25 years....how many championships would they have? ....don't get me wrong...I wish I had Steinbrenner as my team's owner.....or Buss for that fact....but anyone who says George wasn't buying championships doesn't get it....it's the way of life nowadays....but for someone who grew up in the 50's & '60's I can tell you......the "Golden Age" was just that......sports today is nothing like it used to be for the fans who remember...
    Posted by Duke4

Duke
     The doors to free agency were  opened in 1975. See below.
      "With the backing of the Players Association and with former U.S. Supreme Court Justice Arthur Goldberg arguing on his behalf, Flood pursued the case known as Flood v. Kuhn (Commissioner Bowie Kuhn) from January 1970 to June 1972 at district, circuit, and Supreme Court levels. Although the Supreme Court ultimately ruled against Flood, upholding baseball’s exemption from antitrust statutes, the case set the stage for the 1975 Messersmith-McNally rulings and the advent of free agency".

Prior to that date the New York Yankees had already won 20 Worlds Series so they didn't really need free agency to make them a successfull franchise.

SeemsToMe

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

In Response to Re: Kobe/Shaq & Rings : Forget Shaq! Even though he won 3 titles with the Lakers, he has moved around too many times and especially now he has joined the Lakers all time rival team, there's no way they should retire his jersey in the staple center. Shaq is lazy and I think it's a bad move for the Celtics because that makes them a lot slower now. As far as Kobe not winning a championship "by himself", did you see the team's he had after shaq left???? Smush Parker, Kwame Brown, and Luke Walton. Garbage, garbage, and garbage and Kobe still made sure they made the playoffs besides that one year right after Shaq left, competing with a powerhouse western conf.  Kobe didn't even have any decent talent around him, like lebron did. Lamar was young and not even close to what he is today, as far as aggressiveness and heart. Kobe makes his team strong minded and truly brings the best out of each player. I think KObe is very underrated as a leader. He might not dish passes out like Lebron and dance with them and get buddy..buddy.. but he turns his teammates into champions. I think if he had lebrons team with some talented players, he would of made noise for sure!!!   
    Posted by ray2424

Bryant came close to destroying the team after Shaq was traded. Jackson had left and I think it took some serious pride swallowing on Jackson's behalf to return to coach our team.

And I quote Jackson "Kobe can be consumed with surprising anger, which he's displayed towards me (AND WOMEN), and towards his teammates .... He rebels against authority". Those are Phils words not mine, except for the and women comment.

Pau led equally bad Memphis teams to the play offs as well. So I think both Bryant and Pau had equally average teams until Pau was traded to us.

You're right about Byant having a factor though. He does have a edge that other players don't have and that's what makes him a special player. He has that extra ability that guys like Magic, Jordan and Bird possessed. 

I still think Shaq was more important for the Lakers in regards to the current decade though. He was the key to starting the whole thing. 

Where in regards to the 80's I believe it was Magic. The Lakers were not doing much until he arrived. He instantly came into the team and was the key to winning in 1980. Bryant was unable to accomplish the same feats as Magic. He'll never be as great a player as Magic in my eyes. Although I'm sure some fans who think Bryant walks on water would think otherwise.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

....as far as free agency starting in 1975, of course that is correct........my point was that as soon as money did all the talking, King George opened his wallet....the first thing he did was outbid everyone for Catfish Hunter....and on and on it went.....prior to '75 the Yankees were a mess......their last WS was in 1964.....their last title was in '62.....free agency begins and within 2 years the Yankees are in the WS again....look at all the names the Yankees signed over the last 25 years.....no one is close.....money became king.....and the fans who remember what it was like were the ones who lost.....look back at Boston.....nobody could build a franchise like Red did.....they were outstanding from '57 through '76...and they were a playoff team for several years earlier....that's 20+ years and year in and year out a contender....13 championships and 15 finals appearances in those 20 years..with no free agency and very very few trades (look it up).....then, for another 15+ years they are still in the hunt almost every year...injuries to Bird...the death's of Bias and Lewis...followed by poor management/ownership and the fact that Boston wasn't able to be a player in free agency....sunshine, Hollywood, Florida's tax structure, etc trumps winter in Boston....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from KB24RULZ. Show KB24RULZ's posts

sunshine, Hollywood, Florida's tax structure, etc trumps winter in Boston....

Ahhhh, a semblance of truth!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

....as far as free agency starting in 1975, of course that is correct........my point was that as soon as money did all the talking, King George opened his wallet....the first thing he did was outbid everyone for Catfish Hunter....and on and on it went.....prior to '75 the Yankees were a mess......their last WS was in 1964.....their last title was in '62.....free agency begins and within 2 years the Yankees are in the WS again....look at all the names the Yankees signed over the last 25 years.....no one is close.....money became king.....and the fans who remember what it was like were the ones who lost.....look back at Boston.....nobody could build a franchise like Red did.....they were outstanding from '57 through '76...and they were a playoff team for several years earlier....that's 20+ years and year in and year out a contender....13 championships and 15 finals appearances in those 20 years..with no free agency and very very few trades (look it up).....then, for another 15+ years they are still in the hunt almost every year...injuries to Bird...the death's of Bias and Lewis...followed by poor management/ownership and the fact that Boston wasn't able to be a player in free agency....sunshine, Hollywood, Florida's tax structure, etc trumps winter in Boston....
    Posted by Duke4

I think if you put enough green in their pockets, they will adjust to it being white (like snow)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from KB24RULZ. Show KB24RULZ's posts

In Response to Re: Kobe/Shaq & Rings : I think if you put enough green in their pockets, they will adjust to it being white (like snow)
    Posted by BirdandCowens

You're right....look at the Big Minimum lmao.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In Response to Re: Kobe/Shaq & Rings : You're right....look at the Big Minimum lmao.
    Posted by KB24RULZ

Who, as our third center, is still better now than Theo Ratliff ever was!

Sections
Shortcuts