Lakers acquire Ramon Sessions

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Re: Lakers acquire Ramon Sessions

In Response to Re: Lakers acquire Ramon Sessions:
    Do you notice a pattern in the Lakers trades over the last 4 months? Gone: Odom - 32 Fisher - 37 Walton - 31 Kapono - 31 New: Sessions - 25 Eyenga - 22 Hill - 24
    Posted by Mark from Ct

It was not just the numbers the Lakers passed the Heat today with their steal of Ramon Sessions.  Wow they get all the good players.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from walk2run. Show walk2run's posts

Do you notice a pattern in the Lakers trades over the last 4 months? Gone: Odom - 32 Fisher - 37 Walton - 31 Kapono - 31 New: Sessions - 25 Eyenga - 22 Hill - 24
    Posted by Mark from Ct

The Wizards have young players too.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mark from Ct. Show Mark from Ct's posts

In Response to Re: Lakers acquire Ramon Sessions : The Wizards have young players too.
    Posted by walk2run

But they don't have Kobe/Bynum/Gasol to go with those young players.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DFURY13. Show DFURY13's posts

Long term if Sessions can learn the triangle that they still run he will be a nice piece. Short term they may fall a few spots while he tries to learn it and you traded the best teacher you had in Derek Fisher.

I run a simplified version of it with my high school kids and only 6 of them grasp it enough to use it and we only run it in certain situations. It's tougher to learn than you would think. Not taking away from the pickup. IT was a very good one and filled a need and you got rid of dead weight in the process. Still would have kept Fisher but....oh well.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConnectingRod. Show ConnectingRod's posts

The Lakers sacrificed the future for the present. Kupchak traded away their two 1st rounders this year. If the Lakers don't win it all this year it will be a very, very, loooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnng time before they sniff the finals again. LOL

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Wow Ramon Sessions?   Unbelieveable pickup!!!!  I figured a player of that stature would cost at least 3 number one picks and some player from the roster.  Unbelievable player..  Wow.  Holy smoke Ramon Sessions.  What a deal for the Lakers. 
    I guess the other team can't cut Fisher and let him come back again.  I bet Fisher didn't see this one coming.

Wonder how Sessions will like playing with the ball hog. A point guard that doesn't get to touch the ball.

Sessions. Wow!!!  He has his own thread!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mark from Ct. Show Mark from Ct's posts

The Lakers sacrificed the future for the present. Kupchak traded away their two 1st rounders this year. If the Lakers don't win it all this year it will be a very, very, loooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnng time before they sniff the finals again. LOL
    Posted by ConnectingRod

The odds of a team getting an impact player with draft picks in the 21-30 range are slim.

Sessions is only 25 and I am sure LA will offer him a multi-year contract after this season.

LA traded older players for younger players and became a better team at the same time.

Not having to pay Walton and Fisher's salary for next season is important to LA especially since they still have the full $8.9m Odom trade exception that they can use this summer or up until December 15th.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mark from Ct. Show Mark from Ct's posts

Long term if Sessions can learn the triangle that they still run he will be a nice piece. Short term they may fall a few spots while he tries to learn it and you traded the best teacher you had in Derek Fisher. I run a simplified version of it with my high school kids and only 6 of them grasp it enough to use it and we only run it in certain situations. It's tougher to learn than you would think. Not taking away from the pickup. IT was a very good one and filled a need and you got rid of dead weight in the process. Still would have kept Fisher but....oh well.
    Posted by DFURY13

Mike Brown was never a fan of the triangle offense which is why he has tried to get away from it since he was hired. He now has a true pick and roll point guard who can penetrate through the lane. LA will frequently use Gasol/Sessions in the pick and roll.

Sessions strengths are exactly what the Lakers need. He will make a huge difference to LA's offense.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In Response to Re: Lakers acquire Ramon Sessions : Mike Brown was never a fan of the triangle offense which is why he has tried to get away from it since he was hired. He now has a true pick and roll point guard who can penetrate through the lane. LA will frequently use Gasol/Sessions in the pick and roll. Sessions strengths are exactly what the Lakers need. He will make a huge difference to LA's offense.
    Posted by Mark from Ct

Sessions is a decent upgrade. Will it make the Lakers a champion not a chance.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomobo. Show tomobo's posts

In Response to Re: Lakers acquire Ramon Sessions : Corpse with 5 championship rings. How many has Rhondo got?
    Posted by Elven 32

What a selfish funk. I'm sure he has family members' who would had like to have them as a momento. If he's so good, why didn't he earn one in Utah? Kinda reminds me of Forest Gump...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Indiansbacker. Show Indiansbacker's posts

In Response to Re: Lakers acquire Ramon Sessions : Sessions is a decent upgrade. Will it make the Lakers a champion not a chance.
    Posted by concord27

Sessions is a nice player, but there is a reason he was second-string to
    Kyrie Irving -- Sessions is not as good and will never be as good as Kyrie Irving!  Let's see how Sessions plays with the Lakers under the pressure of being a starter!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

In Response to Re: Lakers acquire Ramon Sessions : The odds of a team getting an impact player with draft picks in the 21-30 range are slim. Sessions is only 25 and I am sure LA will offer him a multi-year contract after this season. LA traded older players for younger players and became a better team at the same time. Not having to pay Walton and Fisher's salary for next season is important to LA especially since they still have the full $8.9m Odom trade exception that they can use this summer or up until December 15th.
    Posted by Mark from Ct

Probably Not true this year.  Most of the underclass talent that normally would have went in last year's draft stayed because of the lockout. This year's draft is loaded.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

In Response to Re: Lakers acquire Ramon Sessions : Mike Brown was never a fan of the triangle offense which is why he has tried to get away from it since he was hired. He now has a true pick and roll point guard who can penetrate through the lane. LA will frequently use Gasol/Sessions in the pick and roll. Sessions strengths are exactly what the Lakers need. He will make a huge difference to LA's offense.
    Posted by Mark from Ct

Theyll do it some. The problem is Kobe is not one to sit idly while another player dominates the ball. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mark from Ct. Show Mark from Ct's posts

In Response to Re: Lakers acquire Ramon Sessions : Theyll do it some. The problem is Kobe is not one to sit idly while another player dominates the ball. 
    Posted by jtkl

Sessions could be the best point guard that Kobe will have played with in his career. (Not including the 1 year he played with Gary Payton who had little left).
    We don't know how Kobe will do with the ball less then he is used to.
    Regardless of his feelings, it will be good for him and his body.
    He has to work hard on almost every posession.
    Even though Kobe often dominates the ball, I have seen that he really enjoys setting up Gasol and Bynum for easy baskets.
    Kobe adjusted his game due to his loss of athleticism.
    I would think that he would take his game down a notch since Sessions can score and Bynum has become so dominant.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mark from Ct. Show Mark from Ct's posts

In Response to Re: Lakers acquire Ramon Sessions : Probably Not true this year.  Most of the underclass talent that normally would have went in last year's draft stayed because of the lockout. This year's draft is loaded.
    Posted by jtkl

Very few of the players that stayed in college have had a good year.
    I will repost an article from a couple of weeks ago about how poorly many projected 1st rounders have played this year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to Re: Lakers acquire Ramon Sessions : Sessions could be the best point guard that Kobe will have played with in his career. (Not including the 1 year he played with Gary Payton who had little left). We don't know how Kobe will do with the ball less then he is used to. Regardless of his feelings, it will be good for him and his body. He has to work hard on almost every posession. Even though Kobe often dominates the ball, I have seen that he really enjoys setting up Gasol and Bynum for easy baskets. Kobe adjusted his game due to his loss of athleticism. I would think that he would take his game down a notch since Sessions can score and Bynum has become so dominant.
    Posted by Mark from Ct

It's a good pick up for sure.  In my mind it takes them from a team I would rank 6th or 7th to one that I would put 3rd or 4th.  Fish and Blake were one of the worst pg tandems in the NBA.  Sessions is just average but average is probably all they need at pg.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Indiansbacker. Show Indiansbacker's posts

In Response to Re: Lakers acquire Ramon Sessions : Sessions could be the best point guard that Kobe will have played with in his career. (Not including the 1 year he played with Gary Payton who had little left). We don't know how Kobe will do with the ball less then he is used to. Regardless of his feelings, it will be good for him and his body. He has to work hard on almost every posession. Even though Kobe often dominates the ball, I have seen that he really enjoys setting up Gasol and Bynum for easy baskets. Kobe adjusted his game due to his loss of athleticism. I would think that he would take his game down a notch since Sessions can score and Bynum has become so dominant.
    Posted by Mark from Ct

Gimmee a break!  Sessions goes from being a second-string PG on the Cavaliers to the best PG Kobe ever played with??  Sessions is a nice player, and I wish the Cavs could have kept him as a backup, but he was leaving at the end of this season, so Cavs had to try to get something for him....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mark from Ct. Show Mark from Ct's posts

LA now has the PG to run Mike Brown's offense.
    LA was 27-16 (3rd in West) with Fisher/Blake at PG.

Their roster is much improved today.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Indiansbacker. Show Indiansbacker's posts

LA now has the PG to run Mike Brown's offense. LA was 27-16 (3rd in West) with Fisher/Blake at PG. Their roster is much improved today.
    Posted by Mark from Ct

As a Cavaliers fan, I know that Mike Brown's biggest weakness is running any offense!  Not his thing.  He only knows defense!  Plus, Sessions is a back up who might be ready for prime-time, but no one knows for sure.  Wait and see....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

With the value of 1st rd picks and the way team horde them the cost was pretty high LA knew a month ago that would be the price and it took all the way till noon at the deadline for them to make the move. Had they gotten him March 1st maybe their team would be better? Sessions is an upgrade to Blake/Fisher... but hardly a move that gets them a title
    Posted by rameakap

I agree.....it's like they had the 30th best PG in the league, and now they have the 27th...........every playoff bound team in the West has a better PG than this guy.  We'll just see how he responds to pressure - LA ain't Cleveland...and I agree, the price WAS too high - Gilbert is a moron for doing this!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from elDunker2. Show elDunker2's posts

I don't think Sessions was much of an upgrade to make an impact this year. The youthful legs will be offset by the time and impact on team chemistry to intergrate him into the line-up, especially as a PG. And playing with Kome will make it more of a challenge. This was mostly a financial deal for the Lakers.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Indiansbacker. Show Indiansbacker's posts

In Response to Re: Lakers acquire Ramon Sessions : I agree.....it's like they had the 30th best PG in the league, and now they have the 27th...........every playoff bound team in the West has a better PG than this guy.  We'll just see how he responds to pressure - LA ain't Cleveland...and I agree, the price WAS too high - Gilbert is a moron for doing this!!
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11

No, Gilbert is not an idiot!  It was a good trade for Cleveland.  Sessions WAS CLEVELAND'S BACK-UP PG!  He played nice minutes off the bench spelling Kyrie Irving!  Sessions has a player option to leave at the end of this year.  Everyone in Cleveland knows he is leaving because he does not want to spend his whole career playing behind Kyrie Irving!  Get it??  So, Gilbert and his GM Grant were brilliant in getting a first round pick for a guy who was leaving anyway!  Get it now??????  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mark from Ct. Show Mark from Ct's posts

Getting Sessions for a 1st round pick alone is a good trade for LA.
    Saving LA $11.6m next year for Walton makes the trade great.
    Keeping their TPE makes the trade unbelievable.

Sessions will be a 13pt, 10 asst player with the Lakers.
    LA will probably use a Blake/Sessions backcourt at times when Kobe is out instead of Goudelock.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In Response to Re: Lakers acquire Ramon Sessions : It's a good pick up for sure.  In my mind it takes them from a team I would rank 6th or 7th to one that I would put 3rd or 4th.  Fish and Blake were one of the worst pg tandems in the NBA.  Sessions is just average but average is probably all they need at pg.
    Posted by snakeoil123

I agree it's a good pickup, and one I did not think they'd be able to make, but I don't think he's THAT good.......know what I mean?  I think they overpaid for him!  CLE now has 4 picks in the top 40 - WOW!!  (if things stay as they are)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Getting Sessions for a 1st round pick alone is a good trade for LA. Saving LA $11.6m next year for Walton makes the trade great. Keeping their TPE makes the trade unbelievable. Sessions will be a 13pt, 10 asst player with the Lakers. LA will probably use a Blake/Sessions backcourt at times when Kobe is out instead of Goudelock.
    Posted by Mark from Ct

Man Kupcake is a pure genius. Not sure how the Fakers haven't won 10 championships in a row.  Did Kupcake check with the ball hog to see if it was OK?

Sections
Shortcuts