Lakers/Celtics Finals Unlikely

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Lakers/Celtics Finals Unlikely

Lakers lost again tonight. The Spurs on the other hand just keeps rolling. Without home court advantage I seriously doubt the Lakers will be able to beat the Spurs in a 7-game series. Unless of course Duncan, Manu, or Parker suffers a major injury during the playoffs.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Re: Lakers/Celtics Finals Unlikely

Don'y forget Dallas!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Spurs and the Thunder really look good.

Dallas without Bulter? I don't really rate them. They'll win games but I can't see them coming out of the West.

I still wouldn't count out my Lakers though. Come the play-offs we may very well make some noise. At least that's my theory. The Celtics did it last year. Hopefully we can do something similar.

However the Spurs really look amazing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: Lakers/Celtics Finals Unlikely:
    Spurs and the Thunder really look good. Dallas without Bulter? I don't really rate them. They'll win games but I can't see them coming out of the West. I still wouldn't count out my Lakers though. Come the play-offs we may very well make some noise. At least that's my theory. The Celtics did it last year. Hopefully we can do something similar. However the Spurs really look amazing.
    Posted by RUWorthy

I do agree with you about the Lakers.  The playoffs are different than the regular season and they are the most experienced team.  The Spurs are playing amazing basketball right now, but as the season progresses that could change.
    Although, right now, they look like the best team in the NBA and are also a very experience playoff team. 
    Dallas on the other hand never seems to play very well during the playoffs and
    I don't see them making it to the finals. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Still too early.

Most thought the Heat were out of the question to get to the finals this year. Then they won 20/21 and everyone had them rated #1.

ITs how you finish the season & what kind of injuries...

Then, once the playoffs start, experienced teams like the Lakers can turn it on. Look what we did last year...

Im not counting them out.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

I wonder would it be a letdown NOT to play the Lakers. I would feel a little letdown but I could get over it quickly. LOL!  I want the Lakers!!

I think right now Dallas may be the best team in the West despite the Spurs having the better record.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

There's no doubt that the Lakers can turn it on in the playoffs. But as of January, we can say the Lakers will not make the Finals and the trolls will not disagree. 

HAHAHA!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

I wonder would it be a letdown NOT to play the Lakers. I would feel a little letdown but I could get over it quickly. LOL!  I want the Lakers!! I think right now Dallas may be the best team in the West despite the Spurs having the better record.
    Posted by BiasLewis

I also want another Lakers/Celtics Finals this season. Unfortunately the Lakers have been exposed. They are now the new Phoenix Suns, relying heavily on the 3-point shot to win games. 

If the Lakers don't make it to the Finals this season and the Celtics do, then there is some truth to the argument that if Perk hadn't been injured Banner #18 would have been hanging on the rafters of the Garden right now.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

I wonder would it be a letdown NOT to play the Lakers. I would feel a little letdown but I could get over it quickly. LOL!  I want the Lakers!! I think right now Dallas may be the best team in the West despite the Spurs having the better record.
    Posted by BiasLewis

About that Letdown that we'd all get over quickly, I feel the same way!

However, I have to say that the Spurs ARE the best team in the west.  If they were one or two games in front of Dallas and LA, we might be able to debate it, but when at team is 39 and 6 like the SPurs, 6 games in front of the Lakers and 8 1/2 in front of the Mavs, that's no fluke.  Those guys are good.  They have the highest average margin of victory, too, so they're not winning by accident nor squeaking by.  They're 5th in points in the league, 6th in rebounds, 6th in assists, and 12th in points allowed.  And they've played more +.500 teams than Dallas or Lakers.  Their only weakness is size so I predict LA is more of a risk to them than Dallas.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Cfan4life, you make good points about the Spurs. I just don't think they can keep this pace until April. We'll see though.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DPG182. Show DPG182's posts

Cfan4life, you make good points about the Spurs. I just don't think they can keep this pace until April. We'll see though.
    Posted by BiasLewis

I agree, cant see them keeping this up. They are due for an injury to bring them back to earth at some point. With the age of their starting roster and history of injuries I cant see them making it a whole year at this pace. Which bringsu p a question of which of the Spurs can they leat afford to lose? I have to Say Manu at this point. He's just too important for them right now to lose, and with his history, I feel like he could go out at any point for an extended period, which would certainly boost of chances of catching them in the standings to try and obtain that home court through the playoffs.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

I agree that injuries and playing well at the end of the year are key.  BUT, how many out there feel the lakers can win a Game 7 in SA, or DEN, or BOS or MIA???
    HCA is very important.  How many Games 7's did the Celtics win last year??  ZERO, and I think if we had to play a Game 7 in CLE or ORL, we would have been done!!

lakers can't beat good team on the road this year....................so far anyway.

Stern will probably let them trade Artest and Kareems' old contract for Durant..:)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Bias,
    Dallas has looked awful lately.  The win against the Lakers was nice but really to see them coming out of the west not likely.  Do you know of  a trade?  The Lakers will be making a move count on it.  The league is picking out the right gift wrap before it is announced.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

Its dumb to count out the Lakers at this point in the season. I mean come on, they have lost twelve games in total. Wishing they stink doesn't make it so!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

Celtics - Spurs would be just fine.

The Celtics would have even better bragging rights against the Lakers if they beat the team that beat the Lakers.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Bias, Dallas has looked awful lately.  The win against the Lakers was nice but really to see them coming out of the west not likely.  Do you know of  a trade?  The Lakers will be making a move count on it.  The league is picking out the right gift wrap before it is announced.
    Posted by concord27

Concord27, they may have been awful but Dirk has been out awhile. They have pieces to make a move and Beaubois (spelling?) is still out.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

I dont' agree that the lakers have more "experience" than the spurs.  I think they're even, really.  The spurs are a team that, if healthy, do have the confidence to close out the lakers.  I just don't think they will.  Partly because I don't think their front line can hold up against the lakers in a 7game series.  Between gasol and odem, I don't see the spurs holding up.  Nor do I think the spurs can maintain this health at this pace (read ginobli will go down sometime).

Beyond that, I still believe the nba marketing department is aching for a final matchup between kobe and shaq.  This year it's both shaq's turn and the c's turn.  If all teams are healthy, look for the lakers and the c's one more time.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinus007. Show sinus007's posts

Hi,
    As others noted: don't count LAL out just yet.
    Sure, if playoffs started tomorrow they, most probably, wouldn't come out of West. But it's about 40 games away. Also, remember how Celtics looked last season? Also, re: SAS, remember how unbeatable Cavs looked the last 2 years.
    OTOH, predictions are fun.

AK

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondo9Fan. Show RajonRondo9Fan's posts

Personally I could care less who we play, I just want us to get back there. I hope its the Lakers but i would get over very quickly if it wasn't

Like p34 said if the Lakers don't make the Finals and we do and win that would bring the agruement of if Perk was there would we have won 18 last year

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlobusMcNugget. Show FlobusMcNugget's posts

The biggest problem I see for the Lakers at this point is motivation. And certain players on this team are clearly not very motivated for the regular season. It's not a new issue for the team. I would, however, be shocked if they didn't turn it way up come playoff time. And I don't see the Spurs keeping this up this level of play for an enitire season. My two cents.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rman0909. Show rman0909's posts

Guys,

Its waaaaaaaay to early to count Lakers out. Remember when the Celts last year with the 4th best record of 50-32 in the East..who made it to the Finals?? They beat the Elite teams (Cleveland, Orlando)! Celts vs Lakers again this year.

Lakers are still a Bigger & stronger team than the Spurs. 

CELTS for Banner 18

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Lakers/Celtics Finals Unlikely:
    Lakers lost again tonight. The Spurs on the other hand just keeps rolling. Without home court advantage I seriously doubt the Lakers will be able to beat the Spurs in a 7-game series. Unless of course Duncan, Manu, or Parker suffers a major injury during the playoffs.
    Posted by P34

There are only three or four teams that are what I would called built for the playoffs:  The Cs, Lakers, Mavs, and Magic and maybe the Bulls with a healthy Noah.

It it my opinion that you need a strong inside presence, strong team defense, and able to execute your offense in the half court set.

All of these teams have size and the ability to run their offense through their bigs.

Ordinarily I would include the Spurs but as they showed against the Cs, they are basically a jump shooting team with an aging BIG.  Don't get me wrong, I love Duncan but he is not what he once was.

The Heat have no inside presence at all and will rely too heavily on transition defense and offense and that will not fly in the playoffs.

Losing Butler really really hurt the Mavs but I still include them as a contender.

That said, I think the Lakers and Cs finals series (assuming both are healthy) is the most likely scenario.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Spurs can keep this pace but its unlikely. But one reason they can is cause the NBA is now a league of HAVES and HAVE NOTS.  Like the nfl years ago... a handful of great teams, the rest garbage.

Who really has a legit shot at the title?

Boston, Miami & Magic in the east.

Lakers, Spurs & Mavs in the west.

Nobody else has a prayer to win a title.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

Spurs can keep this pace but its unlikely. But one reason they can is cause the NBA is now a league of HAVES and HAVE NOTS.  Like the nfl years ago... a handful of great teams, the rest garbage. Who really has a legit shot at the title? Boston, Miami & Magic in the east. Lakers, Spurs & Mavs in the west. Nobody else has a prayer to win a title.
    Posted by Karllost

3 teams have won 15 of the last 20 (Lakers, Spurs, and Bulls) and during the same time only a handful of others have been the opposing contenders.

It is theoretically cyclical - the very bad teams draft the best players and the best teams draft the worst players and as the bad teams acquire the best players they should climb out of misery and the best should trend down as the stars wane.

Since compiling the BIG 3 the Cs have drafted zero stars for the future while the Clippers entire starting 5 (when healthy) are lottery picks and probably what you would consider one of "the haves" if Kaman were healthy right now.  They are 16 and 25 and there is no doubt in my mind their record would the opposite had Kaman not gotten injured.

In a couple years the Cs will be the Cavs and just a few short years ago Joe Dumars was considered one of the best executives in the league and now how he is still employed is beyond me.

Of course the things that disrupt the cyclical nature are the big trades - Shaq to the Lakers, Pau to the Lakers, and the new method - players engineering their own movement.

The Lakers have no plan B and will soon become the Pistons, ditto for the Spurs - Duncan goes and all of a sudden Pop forgets how to coach, etc.

The Bulls, Clips, Kings, Hawks, and a few others have very strong young groups - it is a matter of whether they can add additional key pieces and wait until the "haves" become "have nots".

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Dudder,

I'm not so sure the Lakers become the Pistons. The Lakers have one ace chip to use for bargaining power to get them a superstar...Bynum. He's a 7 footer who is still young. All you need is one chip that you can trade. In addition it's the Lakers and LA and guys will go there just because they're the Lakers.

For Boston, their chip is Rondo but I highly doubt he's going anywhere unless the C's win 2 more titles and then Ainge may say time to reload.

The Spurs to me are the team likely to be the Cavs. I don't see Pop sticking around after Duncan is gone. The Spurs lucked out by getting Duncan and made the most of it.

Sections
Shortcuts