Lakers pull out of Chris Paul talks!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Re: Lakers pull out of Chris Paul talks!!!

I think we can come out of this with Paul.  That is why the West trade is held up.

To get Paul and West together could be a blockbuster trade. The question is why would the league allow that with out plenty of young talent. Do we have enough?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In Response to Re: Lakers pull out of Chris Paul talks!!!:
    I think we can come out of this with Paul.  That is why the West trade is held up. To get Paul and West together could be a blockbuster trade. The question is why would the league allow that with out plenty of young talent. Do we have enough?
    Posted by concord27

Rondo, Green(Sign and trade), 2 First round picks, and get Ini involved as rumors before to send over Collison... Is that enough?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Howard to LA would be better for the Lakers then getting Paul, imo.  No way the Celtics can offer the Hornets a better deal then they would have got from Houston/LA deal.  The commish isn't going to let Paul go without a huge, one sided deal. 

The commish [expletive]ed Paul.  Whatever the hornets accept as a trade for Paul will be compared to the Lakers offer, if it's not as good of a deal you can bet the NBAPA will be seeking legal actions with Paul against the NBA.  Stern has messed up big time!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

is it a good idea to trade rondo, who is healthy and signed and still scratching the surface of his ability, for CP3 who is unsigned and has a questionable knee. is he that much better? is he worth that much of a risk? just wondering. maybe because i'm a huge rondo fan. i need convincing... 
    i could really see this happening though. rondo is a better trade chip than eric gordon, i'm sure of that. plus i could see CP3 flat out telling the clippers and warriors to stay away.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Stern messed up as you said but if the Lakers walked away from the trade by sending part of their proposed trade to Dallas the Celtics can still get back in it.  The offer they made was accepted by the Hornets and contained nothing but young talent.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Howard to LA would be better for the Lakers then getting Paul, imo.  No way the Celtics can offer the Hornets a better deal then they would have got from Houston/LA deal.  The commish isn't going to let Paul go without a huge, one sided deal.  The commish [expletive]ed Paul.  Whatever the hornets accept as a trade for Paul will be compared to the Lakers offer, if it's not as good of a deal you can bet the NBAPA will be seeking legal actions with Paul against the NBA.  Stern has messed up big time!
    Posted by TFB12

Martin-Odom and Scola are all borderline all-stars who'd have made the Hornets a playoff team but with no hopes at a title and bogged down 40 million over multiple years to a franchise that can barely survive financially and needs an owner to buy it. The only pick offered to them was the Rockets, another likely playoff team with a pick around 20.

The Celtics can offer to clear away one or both of the Hornets massive contracts (Ariza/Okafor) w/ one of them being amnesty'd in the offseason if we have a shot at a big name FA.

Then we offer TWO draft picks.... one of which would likely be better than Houstons or at least as good.

Then there are MULTIPLE names of good young players in their early-mid 20's under cheaper/rookie deals being involved... Collison, Hansborough, Rush, Avery, Green, Johnson....

a MUCH better deal for New Orleans... their own pick is now in the mid-lottery instead of around 20 had they deal w/ Hou/LA. They have TWO more picks and a slew of cap space and young talent... and are VERY attractive to owners.

Who want to buy a team to pay them 65 million in salary to get 45-55 wins a year and nothing past MAYBE the 2nd rd of the playoffs for 2-3 years?

They'd rather pay a team 40 million with the cap space to sign anyone and all sorts of young talent and draft picks.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

Sorry guys!  DH comes first.  There is no need to trade for CP3 if the Celts can get DH.  Rondo will do very well there with DH.  The Celts can amnesty Turk next year and try to add free agents.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Sorry guys!  DH comes first.  There is no need to trade for CP3 if the Celts can get DH.  Rondo will do very well there with DH.  The Celts can amnesty Turk next year and try to add free agents.
    Posted by prakash

+1

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

who do we have to offer that is better than bynum/gasol? please explain. and dont say KG, because that would not make any sense. if the magic are interested in a big man for one year only, they would keep DH and let him walk after the season, rather than trading for KG for one year. how would that improve their franchise? just because the numbers work doesnt mean it makes sense for them to do it. 

Posted by prakash

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

Here is my proposal:  KG + Green + 2 1st rounders (maybe another future 1st rounder) for Turk and DH.  The outcome will be as follows:

1)  Orlando will be pretty pathetic this year and will get into the lottery.  There is a reasonable chance that they will own 3 picks in the deepest draft in years.
    2)  They will be way below the salary cap next year.
    3)  Not sure of what is happening with Mark Gasol.  He can insist on a max type deal or take a 1-year deal.  I doubt if Memphis will give him a max.
    4)  Orlando can tank one year but they can add talent through free agency and with draft picks and start recovering rapidly.  Mark Gasol, DWill are some of the options.
    5)  That seems like a better option than the Andrew Bynum route, who is signed for just one more year than DH.

This can beat the LA proposal.  Of course, if the Bulls come in with Noah plus package, this will have to be weighed against that.  I stiil like what the Celts can offer as Orlando will need to get into a rebuilding mode.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticFanLA. Show CelticFanLA's posts

who do we have to offer that is better than bynum/gasol? please explain. and dont say KG, because that would not make any sense. if the magic are interested in a big man for one year only, they would keep DH and let him walk after the season, rather than trading for KG for one year. how would that improve their franchise? just because the numbers work doesnt mean it makes sense for them to do it.  In Response to Re: Lakers pull out of Chris Paul talks!!! :
    Posted by artielang

Bynum and Gasol come with a 72 mil salary hit, why would Orlando want that?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenaboveGold. Show GreenaboveGold's posts

In Response to Re: Lakers pull out of Chris Paul talks!!! : What is the Clippers best offer? The recently signed DeAndre Jordan (who Paul should want to stay in LA and throw dunks to), The T'Wolves unprotected #1 (obv their most prized asset if they won't include Gordon), Erci Bledsoe and Al-Farouq Aminu? DeAndre Jordan is a worse shooter than Rondo. He is like Rondo as a center... all defense and dunjs lay Rajon is all D, passing and layups. They even have similar contracts...4/40 Jordan, 4/46 Rondo. I don't think Green our two 1st rd picks, Avery and even Johnson can add up to the Minnesota pick, Bledsoe and Aminu But it would be up to Danny, using Rondo and possibly Green in sign and trades... to make the deal work. You can always take back Ariza and save NO some $ that way. Paul gets to play with 2 of his 3 best guys of the past 2 years in West/Ariza... while replacing Okafor with KG and a bunch of crummy role players with Pierce and Ray... not too shaby
    Posted by rameakap

Dwandre Jordan hasn't signed yet, he's espected to sign a 40 million over 4 years from Golden State so LA could lose him if they don't match it, NOLA alos wants Eric Gordon but the clippers refuse to include Eric Gordon in any deal without commintment that CP3 signs the extension. Without those players our offer should be better. Rondo, Green and JO for Paul, West and The 2012 top ten protected pick would work. That's two established young talent and slary cap relief because JO's contract is up after this year. They can always waive him too. They probably also land a big time player next yea, the draft is going  to be one of the best since 2003.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenaboveGold. Show GreenaboveGold's posts

In Response to Re: Lakers pull out of Chris Paul talks!!! : Bynum and Gasol come with a 72 mil salary hit, why would Orlando want that?
    Posted by CelticFanLA

They're packaging Howard with Turkoglu

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Feel bad for Houston, they were all in and really counting on the Laker/Hornet/Rocket trade, they needed this deal.

No way CP3 would extend his contract with the Celtics, not with all the old players on the team.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tjwoods. Show tjwoods's posts

History tells us: C's need to get younger, and now so do the Lakers. History also teaches these two elite franchises will be very good no matter how this all plays out.

I'd love see Chris Paul in Green and let Rondo dish. I'm salivating.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

1) how would orlando sell their fans on "we'll trade away our best player and tank this year."
    2) they just resigned jason richardson to $25 mil and are keeping rashard lewis. this is a team that is looking to stay in the hunt, not tank.
    3) what does marc gasol have to do with any of this? he's a restricted free agent and memphis has said he's not going anywhere.
    4)look how well the annual lottery teams have done rebuilding through the draft. NBA doesnt work that way anymore.
    5) they extend bynum once they trade for him. no way he doesnt do it with his injury history, plus this is his shot to be a star. 

Here is my proposal:  KG + Green + 2 1st rounders (maybe another future 1st rounder) for Turk and DH.  The outcome will be as follows: 1)  Orlando will be pretty pathetic this year and will get into the lottery.  There is a reasonable chance that they will own 3 picks in the deepest draft in years. 2)  They will be way below the salary cap next year. 3)  Not sure of what is happening with Mark Gasol.  He can insist on a max type deal or take a 1-year deal.  I doubt if Memphis will give him a max. 4)  Orlando can tank one year but they can add talent through free agency and with draft picks and start recovering rapidly.  Mark Gasol, DWill are some of the options. 5)  That seems like a better option than the Andrew Bynum route, who is signed for just one more year than DH. This can beat the LA proposal.  Of course, if the Bulls come in with Noah plus package, this will have to be weighed against that.  I stiil like what the Celts can offer as Orlando will need to get into a rebuilding mode.
    Posted by prakash

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenaboveGold. Show GreenaboveGold's posts

Contenders for Paul: 1) Clippers - If they match Golden State's $40M offer for Jordan they may pull out of the Paul sweepstakes 2) Golden State - If they get Jordan, Paul would be interested, they'd have to part with Curry and Udoh or no dice. 3) Celtics - Could end up that the C's & Hornets are the only options for Paul. If he extends then Rondo, Green, Picks, PTE & Rookies could make it happen along with West. If Danny trades for Paul w/o an extension for a run at another championship then he really is a riverboat gambler.
    Posted by Mployee8

how don't understand how a PTE would be involved please explain

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

1) how would orlando sell their fans on "we'll trade away our best player and tank this year." 2) they just resigned jason richardson to $25 mil and are keeping rashard lewis. this is a team that is looking to stay in the hunt, not tank. 3) what does marc gasol have to do with any of this? he's a restricted free agent and memphis has said he's not going anywhere. 4)look how well the annual lottery teams have done rebuilding through the draft. NBA doesnt work that way anymore. 5) they extend bynum once they trade for him. no way he doesnt do it with his injury history, plus this is his shot to be a star.  In Response to Re: Lakers pull out of Chris Paul talks!!! :
    Posted by artielang

Quite right!

Actually I just realized that neither CP3 nor DH are going anywhere.  Both need to be traded before Jan 1 or they stand to lose mucho money.  So, their teams don't need to be in any kind of hurry to trade them.  The suitors will be forced to fill up their cap space (NJ with Nene, Clips/Warriors with Jordan, Celts with West, etc.).  So, unless the trading team gets appropriate value, they can stand pat.  The teams with cap space will be lousy (maybe except the Celts).

That explains why Orlando has been trying to put together a roster by signing these guys.

I think that Danny will fill up the roster, keep the draft picks and maintain cap space for next year.  Hello Kwame Brown!

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Contenders for Paul: 1) Clippers - If they match Golden State's $40M offer for Jordan they may pull out of the Paul sweepstakes 2) Golden State - If they get Jordan, Paul would be interested, they'd have to part with Curry and Udoh or no dice. 3) Celtics - Could end up that the C's & Hornets are the only options for Paul. If he extends then Rondo, Green, Picks, PTE & Rookies could make it happen along with West. If Danny trades for Paul w/o an extension for a run at another championship then he really is a riverboat gambler.
    Posted by Mployee8

It would definitel be a gamble, but his back up plan would be that he's really way below the cap if Paul walks and he took a shot at a championship.  KG, Ray, JON, Shaq, Wallace all come off the books next year so if Paul walks, he can rebuild with FA's.  None as good as Paul, but there will be talent.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

Paul and West to the Celtics could happen, but much as Rondo bubzzes me I have decided I would rather have Rondo than Paul, something about Paul reminds me of Kevin Johnson who was great but never got it done, even when he had a loaded team with Sir Charles with him.   Keep Green and Rondo and David West and go get  Delonte West and use the 3 mill to get a second rate center and we are ready to go go go.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

Paul and West to the Celtics could happen, but much as Rondo bubzzes me I have decided I would rather have Rondo than Paul, something about Paul reminds me of Kevin Johnson who was great but never got it done, even when he had a loaded team with Sir Charles with him.   Keep Green and Rondo and David West and go get  Delonte West and use the 3 mill to get a second rate center and we are ready to go go go.
    Posted by maryngary

I agree. Also, don't forget Paul ha s a suspect knee.
    I feel the same about Howard, for me he is the category "Malone-like superstar who'll never win a title.

Sections
Shortcuts