Lakers to Retire ex-Celtic Shaq's #34

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qdaddy. Show Qdaddy's posts

Re: Lakers to Retire ex-Celtic Shaq's #34

In Response to Lakers to Retire ex-Celtic Shaq's #34:
    [QUOTE]http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=6617095
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

That's too bad. I'm against it, but like I said on another thread, Dr. Buss and the Lakers organization would probably take this step.

Since he put on that UGLY Celtics green jersey, he deserves to go to "Laker hell" (the Mojave desert!), but the Lakers are probably going to do this because he knows he's headed to the Hall of Fame...and they want another Laker in the Hall.

That one year in the Celtics organization will forever be a "stain" on his career. HAH!

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qdaddy. Show Qdaddy's posts

In Response to Re: Lakers to Retire ex-Celtic Shaq's #34:
    [QUOTE]Guess you could say the rafters of Staples will have a touch of green when the Lakers retire Shaq's number.

Maybe they'll segregate his number...you know, maybe they'll put it on the OPPOSITE END of the building. I would really hate for the the rest of the Lakers legends to have to be "tainted" by that UGLY green.

Isn't that green the same color of leprosy? I don't know...I'm just saying.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LakerFan67. Show LakerFan67's posts

As a Laker fan, my emotions are conflicted when it comes to Shaq. Had he and Kobe gotten along, put their petty differences aside, the duo might have won more titles together. But that was not to be with their egos affecting their judgment. That's all water under the bridge.

In terms of his legacy, Shaq will always be identified as a Laker for better or worse. That's just a fact of life, whether I like it, L.A. fans like, or Boston fans like it. Shaq was most productive and successful under the helm of the Phil Jackson led Lakers. He couldn't even complete a season in Boston.

The poisonous relationship with Kobe will always be perceived as a black stain on both of them. After Shaq left, Kobe did not mature as a person--still goes off on his lonesome self, disrupting the team concept.

And the Kobe-Shaq feud continues. Notice that Kobe has not said a word to the media about Shaq and his legacy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConnectingRod. Show ConnectingRod's posts

I wonder which Kobe number will the Lakers retire, #24 or #8?

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qdaddy. Show Qdaddy's posts

[QUOTE]He'll demand they retire both.
    Posted by DFURY13[/QUOTE]

Probably.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Laker-Nation32. Show Laker-Nation32's posts

[QUOTE]He'll demand they retire both.
    Posted by DFURY13[/QUOTE]

They should when your:

5 time NBA champion (and counting)
    3rd all time post season scorer (and counting)
    6th all time regular season scorer (and counting)
    13 time All Star appearances with 4 All Star MVP'S (and counting)
    13 time all NBA team (and counting)
    11 time all Defensive NBA team (and counting)
    1 regular season MVP
    Olympic Gold medallist
    Greatest all time Laker point scorer (and counting)
    2nd greatest points in a game (81 v Toronto)

Funny thing is we could compare him to wheelchair but that would be a down right shaming of wheelchair so we won't go there lmao.

Looking at these achievements, they should retire any number the Mamba says!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33TdL_2X2yQ

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]Guess you could say the rafters of Staples will have a touch of green when the Lakers retire Shaq's number.

It would be very unfortunate if the Lakers had decided not to retire Shaq's number.  He is responsible for a few of the Lakers championships and was a big part of their success when he played for the Lakers. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

He is the main reason they won 3 rings. I'll be cheering when they raise his # to the rafters. Shaq was one Laker i couldn't bring myself to dislike!

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

I always got a kick out of Shaq........no Shaq, no rings......Kobe couldn't take being "Robin" to Shaq's "Batman"....but that's the way it was....Shaq was the Finals MVP....Kobe is great but he is also hyped a lot....this year he was again named to the NBA first team as the shooting guard....take a look at his stats as compared to  Wade's.....Wade had the better year....take a look at Kobe's career FGP.........then take a look at MJ's....no comparison!....Wade is leading his team in the Finals....how did Kobe's team make out?....it's not all on Kobe......but c'mon......getting swept?.....this is all just a popularity contest...same as the all star game when Magic won the MVP when he came back....it was totally choreographed and everyone knew it....but then again, it's only an exhibition game......it's nice to see the Lakers retire his number....maybe they will sew it onto the Minny banner....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lakers to Retire ex-Celtic Shaq's #34 : Less than 24 hours ago you were asking me if I was going to turn into a Laker fan. Now, it's you who will be cheering when the Lakers retire Shaq's number.

Well, are you?

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lakers to Retire ex-Celtic Shaq's #34 : Of course I'm not a Laker fan! You're crazy if you think all the negative things I say about the Lakers is just an act.

Keep up the good work, and try to get along with the other great Celtic fans who post on this board!  Everyone is not as forgiving as Kyceltic! Have a great day!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LakerFan67. Show LakerFan67's posts

The Lakers went to the finals the last 3 times before this season and won 2 titles. That's not a bad record. Kobe and the Lakers are human. Phil Jackson was burnt out, spent. He was no longer coaching the last several years but running on fumes. And Kobe's injuries have taken a toll, refusing to get needed operations on his fingers with a deteriorating knuckle that's become arthritic, and more recently having a knee operation last summer. The hand is critical to maintaining your shooting accuracy and Kobe being the stubborn alpha that he is, played with injuries. Almost every player in the NBA would have gotten their injuries taken care of and rested their bodies but not Kobe. The man is his worst enemy with management unwilling to reign him in to protect him from himself.

Kobe's maniacal determination to play is what has gotten him to the level he's at. There was bound to be a feud with Shaq. The 2 are alpha personalities. Shaq was too insecure, always going to the media and continually trashing Kobe until Bryant had had enough and the feud was full blown while Phil exploited it, manipulating both players to try to get them to play together. Imagine if those 2 simply were willing to play the pick-and-roll. The Lakers would have been unstoppable.

The rules were even changed in the NBA because of Shaq's dominance. No more just man-to-man on defence but lets allow for the zone.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LakerFan67. Show LakerFan67's posts

The primary reason Shaq went to Boston was to try and ride their coat tails to another title after Kobe made his infamous comment about having 1 more championship than Shaq. That's how petty Shaq can be and how his ego sometimes gets the better of him. Kobe should have kept his mouth shut but he wanted to stick it to Shaq where he knew it would hurt the big fella.

Shaq should have retired after playing badly in Cleveland. But he had to swallow his pride, taking the lowest minimum salary from the Celtics to get back at what he perceives to be his nemisis, Kobe Bean Bryant. Every time Shaq left an NBA franchise, he had to trash their management but he made a special effort to ridicule Kobe. He didn't condemn Boston because he was the one who ultimately hurt the Celtics. Had Shaq not gone to Boston, Perkins would still be there and maybe they might have made it to the finals.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from icnd. Show icnd's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lakers to Retire ex-Celtic Shaq's #34 : Don't forget to mention what Kobe achieved in Colorado.

Why?  Are you jealous?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Laker-Nation32. Show Laker-Nation32's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lakers to Retire ex-Celtic Shaq's #34 : Excellent observation. The fans of the celtics are so delusional to have thought Shaq was ever going to be a contributor to a title.  
    Posted by Tayshawn[/QUOTE]

It's well known that during the regular season in his final year at the Lakers, Snaq was running down the court yelling "pay me my money" at Dr Buss after he sought an extension at a premium price. We all know how that ended with snaq getting shipped and:

KOBE=5 NBA CHAMPIONSHIPS
    SNAQ-4
    Cry

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ItsNot1966anymor. Show ItsNot1966anymor's posts

Russell won 2 of his titles as "player-coach".  Shows you how "difficult" coaching was in his day, and puts the accomplishments of Auerbach in perspective. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from walk2run. Show walk2run's posts

In Response to Lakers to Retire ex-Celtic Shaq's #34:
    [QUOTE]http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=6617095
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE
    That's ok ...it's not like he played for Boston.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tayshawn. Show Tayshawn's posts

[QUOTE]It is well known that if Kobe wasn't such a prima dona, and could put aside his petty "he goes or I go" mentality that the Lakers could have about 3 more titles in their stash.  Alas, selfish Kobe can't just shut the he!! up and play ball!
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11[/QUOTE]

Idiocracy at its finest... You need to do your research, and you might learn something. The real reason Shaq was traded was because of his attitude and lack of work ethic. You probably do not know this being a delusional celtic fan, but during a preseason game,  Shaq yelled to Jerry Buss on the sidelines to PAY HIM. Needless to say, no-one disrespects Jerry like that, and Shaq was shipped out shortly after.

Please provide the link that quotes Kobe actually stating "he goes or I go".  I will be waiting. Laughing

Sections
Shortcuts