Lakers trade...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Lakers trade...

Did I read this right?  .....they traded a first round pick for 35 year old Joe Smith..........?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Re: Lakers trade...

Josh Smith would have been better.

Seems like a salary dump. Joe may be able to spell Pau, but I doubt it. Just stupid to give up a 1st round pick. Sasha's salary was expiring, we should just not have resigned him!

Perhaps this is a move to acquire someone else later this season?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DFURY13. Show DFURY13's posts

Worthy is a good poster and didn't start the thread so ease it up.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PierceIsTheTruth. Show PierceIsTheTruth's posts

he is there just to give gasol some rest. this doesnt worry me at all other then giving gasol some rest. some of the more athletic guys might beat up on him though and phil will put gasol back in, thus defeating his purpose.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: Lakers trade...:
    [QUOTE]Worthy is a good poster and didn't start the thread so ease it up.
    Posted by DFURY13[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  Opposing fans should be welcome as long as they're reasonable.

Maybe this is related to the idea that Pau wasn't happy playing center all the time, especially if Bynum isn't fully healthy yet.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BRADinLA. Show BRADinLA's posts

[QUOTE]" Perhaps this is a move to acquire someone else later this season?" Sorry if this thread gave you the impression this is a lakers forum. It is not. It is a Celts forum. Please proceed immediately to latimes.com and find some Lakers fans to over-analyze this irrelevant trade with.
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, chill dawg.  Worthy is the most respectful Laker fan I've ever seen post here.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schleprechaun. Show Schleprechaun's posts

Plus Bynum is working back into the rotation. Consider the guy 'insurance' like Jermaine (O'Neil, not Jackson!) or Theo Ratliff, both of whom are either always injured or barely going to contribute, but still a big body that can be thrown into the mix in a pinch......

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

I started this thread......anything that affects the Lakers may affect the Celtics come playoff time.....c'mon...the Lakers are our arch rivals (see Yankees/SOX)...I think the trade of a first round pick for a 35 year old journeyman is significant.....JMO...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Lakers first round pick is basically a step or 2 from a second round pick. Either way you slice it, cant see Joe Smith doing much for them other than letting opposing teams rally against the Lakers.

The one player LA cant afford to lose is Gasol. Phil knows he has to rest the guy but has nobody to take up the slack as his replacement. Joe Smith keeps the Lakers issue at the status quo... hes not gonna help them imo. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]Lakers first round pick is basically a step or 2 from a second round pick. Either way you slice it, cant see Joe Smith doing much for them other than letting opposing teams rally against the Lakers. The one player LA cant afford to lose is Gasol. Phil knows he has to rest the guy but has nobody to take up the slack as his replacement. Joe Smith keeps the Lakers issue at the status quo... hes not gonna help them imo. 
    Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE]

But it helps the Lakers raise their average age to 29.5 years old.

HAHAHA!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

Nothing wrong with discussing other contenders IMO.
    Assuming LA is one...LOL.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

Sasha's going to Jersey...  think Maria's gonna like it there?  That marriage is doomed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from walk2run. Show walk2run's posts

A sign of desperation for a big since Gasol can't help defend the middle.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

"Josh Smith would have been better."

Well, yeah, obviously.  But the lakers would have to give up at least an odem quality player to get josh smith, and probably he's more like a fair trade for gasol given their ages.

I'm surprised they didnt' talk memphis into giving them marc gasol for andrew bynum or something.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]"Josh Smith would have been better." Well, yeah, obviously.  But the lakers would have to give up at least an odem quality player to get josh smith, and probably he's more like a fair trade for gasol given their ages. I'm surprised they didnt' talk memphis into giving them marc gasol for andrew bynum or something.
    Posted by cole-ely[/QUOTE]

HAHAHA!!!

Lightning will strike twice?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

This isn't a game changer or anything, but it might keep the lakers from wearing Gasol completly down before the playoffs.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schleprechaun. Show Schleprechaun's posts

[QUOTE]I started this thread......anything that affects the Lakers may affect the Celtics come playoff time.....c'mon...the Lakers are our arch rivals (see Yankees/SOX)...I think the trade of a first round pick for a 35 year old journeyman is significant.....JMO...
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

Plus, I seem to remember that we were trying to get Joe S. as a back up not too long ago. I think we did better with a late-season PJ Brown, if my memory isn't failing me.....

Still, Theo was a discard of ours years ago, so I can't see how he is a sufficient backup, a few years older.....Smith might need to be the backup to the backup

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlobusMcNugget. Show FlobusMcNugget's posts

Lose the bloated salary of a player that is buried deep on the bench and a first round pick that they don't intend on keeping (with Ebanks and Caracter around) for another big? Probably won't make a huge difference in the long run, but at least the Lakers' front office is reacting to the need for help.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

And remember that JJ has historically done a nice job on kg.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

Let's trade Che for Worthy and a troll to be named later

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Thanks for the kind words guys.

If we get a few minutes of semi-decent play out of Smith each game I'd be happy. Although I think this may be expecting to much. The only way I see it is a salary dump. Maybe Luke Walton could be next? Although I hope it's not, I like Luke.

Said it before I think the bigger picture of the trade may be revealed before the trade deadline. If nothing else comes from it, we'll have some help for Gasol. What kind of help it is remains to be seen.

Sections
Shortcuts