Lakers universally acclaimed as the NBA'S greatest franchise

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MajicMVP. Show MajicMVP's posts

Re: Lakers universally acclaimed as the NBA'S greatest franchise

Poisoned by CO, I really love to rub it in. From your link:

The number in the parentheses is the total number of Super Bowl championships and the bolded number in parentheses is the total number of league championships.

Pittsburgh Steelers (6) (6)
    New Orleans Saints (1) (1)
    Green Bay Packers (4) (13)

Do you understand what "total number of league championships" mean? Obviously not.

The one with 6 total number of league championships "owned" the NFL, what a laugh!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Majik.....you really don't think that short list I put up wouldn't be all stars today?....really...?  is Baylor too small at 6-5 220...?    Wilt, Thurmond, Bellamy....all giants....Unseld and Cowens too small?  ......Ben Wallace at 6-9 was one of the best rebounders in the league....you list gus like Lee Schaffer and Dave Gambee.....for every one of them there are many more in this league....how about Sasha?  ....Loy Vaught....how about your team's bench? .....Matt Barnes, Steve Blake, Shannon Brown, and Luke Walton........they are taking up spots....Barnes is a 6-7  journeyman who is now playing on his 8th team....with 30 teams it isn't hard making a roster....

again....my point is not that the players were as big or athletic as today's players...they just played better basketball....and if 6-7 guys can play today.....then so could the greats like Baylor!!

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 21st. Show 21st's posts

This was supposed to be the 17th championship of the Lakers.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 21st. Show 21st's posts

Fierce almost got it right when he said the Lakers have 17 championships.

Too bad, like Kobe, the Lakers fell face first on the ground in the playoffs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MajicMVP. Show MajicMVP's posts

In Response to Re: Lakers universally acclaimed as the NBA'S greatest franchise:
    Majik.....you really don't think that short list I put up wouldn't be all stars today?....really...?

Only all stars today? really?

They were HOFers, now they are relegated to merely all-stars. So that tells how much they have fallen...

Joe Johnson is an all-star today. Deron Williams is an all-star today. And these have been all-stars in recent years: Gilbert Arenas, Baron Davis, Brad Miller, Chris Bosh, David West, David Lee. Don't think anyone of these can get close to the HOF...

And if those HOFers you mentioned are relegated to merely all-stars in today's game, then you are just shutting down your argument.

how about Sasha?  ....Loy Vaught....how about your team's bench? .....Matt Barnes, Steve Blake, Shannon Brown, and Luke Walton........they are taking up spots....Barnes is a 6-7  journeyman who is now playing on his 8th team....with 30 teams it isn't hard making a roster.... again....my point is not that the players were as big or athletic as today's players...they just played better basketball....and if 6-7 guys can play today.....then so could the greats like Baylor!!
    Posted by Duke4

What about them? Are you telling me that in any era that only 100 people can play basketball? then anyone outside of 100 are merely taking up roster spots? Have you ever heard of "growth"? You mean you don't know the game has grown in popularity? thus more people can earn paychecks in this profession than 40 years ago?

The players of yesteryear were playing better basketball? how do you know? Just because they play 125-123 games that every starter ended up with double digit points and rebounds?

Have you really watched the game for 50 years?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MajicMVP. Show MajicMVP's posts

In Response to Re: Lakers universally acclaimed as the NBA'S greatest franchise:
    In Response to Re: Lakers universally acclaimed as the NBA'S greatest franchise : If I say the Lakers have 17 championships is it fact or fiction?
    Posted by Fiercest34

That you have to ask yourself. When you posted

Season 1947-48: Minneapolis Lakers (NBL)

What did you think? was it a fact or fiction?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Hate to be the one to say "I told you so..............."
    Good Luck to all!!

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Majic......to answer your question...yes, I have followed the NBA for 50 years....I started watching games on tv around 1960.....we didn't have the media that we have today....but we had Sunday afternoon games...I also listened to the radio at night....I followed Boston every time they played the Hawks, Royals, and Sixers....I was an avid fan who read the newspapers, TSN, books.....in 1969 the first ever playoff game was televised (Boston vs the Knicks)......soon the game was shown more and more often....I obviously still watch today.....so I can compare the game of today vs the game of yesterday...

....you remind me of my wife when you take me literally.....first I said "they could play"....you took it out of context so I clarified my position by saying that they would be all stars....you again put me down as saying that there are all stars every year.....

my point has been that a great number of these players would be Hall of Fame players today.....please don't tell me that players like Elgin Baylor, Jerry West, Wilt Chamberlain,Jon Havlicek, and many others couldn't be superstars today...

the league is filled with better athletes today, I have never said anything different......being a great athlete does not equate to being a great basketball player....just ask guys like Gerald Green and Kedrick Brown...

the same goes for MLB...........Sandy Koufax, Bob Gibson.....Willie, Micky and the Duke....all would be Hall of Famers if they played today.....Kou would be the same size today....and he would still throw in the mid to upper 90's.....without today's training and supplements....since he has already done it before.....no speculation....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from koberulz. Show koberulz's posts

Does anyone have any pictures of the last time the Celtics won back to back titles - preferably color photos. Thanks! Cool

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Laker-Nation32. Show Laker-Nation32's posts

Does anyone have any pictures of the last time the Celtics won back to back titles - preferably color photos. Thanks!
    Posted by koberulz

Color photos-brilliant! The smeltics have NEVER gone back to back in a league after the NBA/ABA merge and have never looked likely. The facts are with an expanded league, international player base, more season games, more playoff games, free agency, beantown has never found the answer to repeat. We shouldn't be too hard on them Koberulz, in 19 or so years boston will again be a beast for a season!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Majic......to answer your question...yes, I have followed the NBA for 50 years....I started watching games on tv around 1960.....we didn't have the media that we have today....but we had Sunday afternoon games...I also listened to the radio at night....I followed Boston every time they played the Hawks, Royals, and Sixers....I was an avid fan who read the newspapers, TSN, books.....in 1969 the first ever playoff game was televised (Boston vs the Knicks)......soon the game was shown more and more often....I obviously still watch today.....so I can compare the game of today vs the game of yesterday... ....you remind me of my wife when you take me literally.....first I said "they could play"....you took it out of context so I clarified my position by saying that they would be all stars....you again put me down as saying that there are all stars every year..... my point has been that a great number of these players would be Hall of Fame players today.....please don't tell me that players like Elgin Baylor, Jerry West, Wilt Chamberlain,Jon Havlicek, and many others couldn't be superstars today... the league is filled with better athletes today, I have never said anything different......being a great athlete does not equate to being a great basketball player....just ask guys like Gerald Green and Kedrick Brown... the same goes for MLB...........Sandy Koufax, Bob Gibson.....Willie, Micky and the Duke....all would be Hall of Famers if they played today.....Kou would be the same size today....and he would still throw in the mid to upper 90's.....without today's training and supplements....since he has already done it before.....no speculation....
    Posted by Duke4

I heard an interview with a former Dodger on the radio the other day (Karros?).  He said that when he was a player, in the 80's and 90's, Koufax would come to spring training, and still get guys out in batting practice.  Said he threw mid-80's with location................he would be even better today, since they only go 6-7 innings now!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Great point my friend.....imagine starting 42 games....completing around 28.....300+ innings, 380 K's, sub 2.00 ERA's.....they still play the game the same way.....this guy would be a multiple Cy Young winner in today's game!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from koberulz. Show koberulz's posts

First: 3/7/2011
    Last: 8/26/2011
    In Response to www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a734e2bc9-e1bc-49d6-8355-64f9a8500246Discussion%3ac9a069ce-b985-4228-bce9-ac70cc09fd54&plckFindPostKey=Cat:SportsForum:734e2bc9-e1bc-49d6-8355-64f9a8500246Discussion:c9a069ce-b985-4228-bce9-ac70cc09fd54Post:66e20381-30a9-45f5-96a9-8ee106bb0458">Re: Lakers universally acclaimed as the NBA'S greatest franchise:
    Does anyone have any pictures of the last time the Celtics won back to back titles - preferably color photos. Thanks!
    Posted by koberulz

Color photos-brilliant! The smeltics have NEVER gone back to back in a league after the NBA/ABA merge and have never looked likely. The facts are with an expanded league, international player base, more season games, more playoff games, free agency, beantown has never found the answer to repeat. We shouldn't be too hard on them Koberulz, in 19 or so years boston will again be a beast for a season!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    --------------------------------------

"19 or so years"  So funny, but yet so true. Laughing

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DFURY13. Show DFURY13's posts

After 370+ posts has Fakerweaknation even shown one shred of proof that they are univerally acclaimed as the NBA's greatest Franchise? All I know is being great is how much have you won. They are 1 shy of the Boston Celtics thus they are not the most Acclaimed Franchise. You don't get acclaim for being 2nd best or being the best runner up I think they choked away as many finals as Susan Lucce's been slighted for daytime emmy's. Give me a break. This whole thread is stupid. I figured he had some article or something so I unignored him. He's got nothing? Really? Nothing to back his frontrunning? What a goof.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

well, I guess like so many others have pointed out.....this thread is done.....the two greatest franchises in the history of the NBA and the greatest rivalry....I believe everyone that has taken the time to post their opinion agrees with that point...

after that...I guess it all comes down to one's opinion.....beauty is in the eye of the beholder as the saying goes...fans of each team will not succumb to opinions from the other side....best to let it go at this point....no?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Laker-Nation32. Show Laker-Nation32's posts

Example of boston talk. "22 years, 21 years, 20 years..roll on 2030!"

Laughing

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

another reason why the kids sat at their own table on Thanksgiving......children should not be allowed to debate the grown-ups.....pathetic really....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoctorCO. Show DoctorCO's posts

majjic mvp,

all your doing is posting past titles...while the NFL SAID
    1. the past titles pre merger are defunked!!!!
    2. That the sb matters and the past dont...
    3. All the 1920 titles dont matter when there not sb...
    4. no other league has had a merger where the title has changed...For example check the washington bball team how many rings...they have 1 from the 70's..Not from the nbd what ever league....
    5. ONLY NBA TITLES COUNT..
    6.. ONLY SB TITLES count..
    7. other titles listed but dont count..
    8. READ IT AND WEEP..

at 8/25/2011 9:59 AM EDT

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=f4aad5a1555c24c0e7e5b4ac7911e64d&plckUserId=f4aad5a1555c24c0e7e5b4ac7911e64d">
    First: 7/14/2009
    Last: 8/26/2011
    majic,

remember my what was listed first is the sb and what matters is the sb..well from your link says....

List of various league/world championship game systems

Current NFL Championship system Intra-league/World Championship system Defunct league championship system
    League Official Name Common Name First year Last year Trophy name
    NFL (Old) NFL Champion
    (No championship game played)
    (Old) NFL Champion 1920 1932 Brunswick-Balke Collender Cup, 1922
    None, 1923–32
    (Old) NFL Championship Game (Old) NFL Championship 1933 1969 Ed Thorp Memorial Trophy
    AAFC AAFC Championship Game AAFC Championship 1946 1949 AAFC Trophy
    AFL AFL Championship Game AFL Championship 1960 1969 AFL Trophy
    AFL
    NFL
    AFL-NFL World Championship Game World Championship of Pro Football
    AFL-NFL World Championship Game
    Super Bowl
    1966 1969 World Championship Game Trophy/
    Vince Lombardi Trophy
    NFL Super Bowl
    "(Modern) NFL Championship"
    Super Bowl
    World Championship
    (Modern) NFL Championship

Super Bowl Championship (1966 – present)

(The creation of Super Bowl was the first sign of AFL-NFL merger. The first four Super Bowls served as intra-league championship games because of these intra-league championship games this created some confusion amongst football fans that there was an special World Championship series in the pre-merger era. After the merger, the Super Bowl became the NFL's championship game.Since there is this has .

The number in the parentheses is the total number of Super Bowl championships and the bolded number in parentheses is the total number of league championships.)

New post Reply to this post

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Laker-Nation32. Show Laker-Nation32's posts

If beantown starts planning they should have a great street parade in 2030!!

Laughing

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

another reason why the kids sat at their own table on Thanksgiving......children should not be allowed to debate the grown-ups.....pathetic really....
    Posted by Duke4

lol

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoctorCO. Show DoctorCO's posts

lakernation32,

How many titles have you won without riley and phill........SOOOOOO.....your parade will start. in 2042.....

Sections
Shortcuts