Larry Bird Was Better Than Magic Johnson

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Laker-Nation32. Show Laker-Nation32's posts

Re: Larry Bird Was Better Than Magic Johnson

5 /> 3

Thanks for playing!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

... and Bird's arrival created the biggest turn around in NBA history to that point, going from worst to almost first.

Both are top five players in NBA history.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

that's fine, laker-nation. but if the shoe fits, you need to wear it. here, try this on...

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Laker-Nation32. Show Laker-Nation32's posts

Magic Johnson drafted #1
    Larry Bird #6

Magic won NCAA Championship
    Bird got beaten by Magic's Spartans

Magic won 5 NBA championships
    Bird won 3

Magic gave rise to SHOWTIME
    Bird's celtics were known as.....celtics (yawn)

Game over. Thanks for playing!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In Response to Re: Larry Bird Was Better Than Magic Johnson:
    Maybe some of the Laker fans don't remember what happened in 1991.  Even Kobe Bryant can't break Kareem's scoring record. That's why when Kareem got old the Pistons swept the Lakers in 1989 and Magic couldn't beat MJ in 1991. I mean the Lakers had 3 #1 picks on that team. Magic Johnson was drafted #1 in 1979, Kareem was a #1 pick in 1969, and James Worthy was the #1 pick in 1982. Think about it, Jordan-Pippen vs. Magic-Worthy and it wasn't even close.
    Posted by Fiercest34

Kind of like Calipari having 5 first round draft picks at UK and can't win the NCAA!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Laker-Nation32. Show Laker-Nation32's posts

Kind of like Pitino trying to coach in the NBA. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In Response to Re: Larry Bird Was Better Than Magic Johnson:
    that's fine, laker-nation. but if the shoe fits, you need to wear it. here, try this on...
    Posted by BaileyPowe

lol

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtics1986. Show Celtics1986's posts

Bird was named MVP for the third straight year in 1986. He was also named Sportsman of the year. In that interview he was told many now felt he was the best player ever. His response says it all.

"I don't take that seriously. Some day, 15 years down the road some kid will come along and they will say he is better than me."

So Bird himself when on top of his game, could not imagine that anyone who was currently in the league was as good as he was. When at his best he was convinced it would be some far off Lebron type down the road who would eclipse him.

And he was right, there was no one in the league that was as good as he was. Although when he said that Jordan was only a 23 year old kid, so who knew?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtics1986. Show Celtics1986's posts

If Magic had stayed for his Junior year in college and played in the Olympics. He and Bird would have played their entire careers on the Celtics. Because after Bird's rookie year, Boston had the #1 pick. They did not want Joe Barry Carroll so they traded it. But if it had been Magic, it could have been awesome.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Magic had a great game in the finals when he filled in at center. Great stats too but that one game doesnt prove he was great at playing center.

AN all around player takes alot into consideration beyond scoring, rebounds & assists. Setting picks/screens, knowing spacing and when to leave, setting up the assist, directing traffic, boxing out so a teamate can rebound, blah, blah, blah. 

I dont see anyway of judging who that player may be.

In the more accepted method of using stats, Magic is not the obvious #1 although hes in the conversation. Oscar averaged a triple double one season.. Wilt had sick stats in all 3 categories (a large center leading the league in assists??...thats sick!!)

I view the subject as who was the best team player along with having the good stats in the major categories. Being able to play 3 positions doesnt mean much to me.

ITs too much brain damage to try to think up who makes this list beyond the obvious but I dont see anyone as a clear winner

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 21st. Show 21st's posts

You have to give Magic Johnson credit for showtime in the sauna.

No wonder Magic Johnson always had a big smile during postgame interviews.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Laker-Nation32. Show Laker-Nation32's posts

Magic Johnson drafted #1
    Larry Bird #6

Bird won 3

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

I have the same opinion as anytime we compare two people who play different positions...............Magic - greatest PG ever, Bird - greatest SF ever......apples and oranges!!

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

they were both great players and I have the utmost respect for Magic the man and the player....but there were differences between the two.....Magic led a loaded Michigan State team to the title over Bird's undermanned Sycamores of Indiana State......without Bird, that team isn't even in the tournament!

Magic came into the NBA with the nickname given to him by his high school coach I believe....Larry came into the league as "the hick from French Lick"...but after they met again for the NBA title and Bird's Celtics won.........Magic was blamed for the loss and the media began referring to him as "Tragic Magic".......Bird went on to earn the name "Larry Legend" by that same media.....Magic was great but, in my eyes, Bird was the "man".......who can ever forget him actually telling opponents where he was going to shoot from to win the game and then doing it over and over ....how about the initial three point contest during the all star game where he let fly his last shot and immediately held up his forefinger to signal that he was the winner?...a second or two later, the ball hit nothing but net.....the steal vs the Pistons.....smacking his face on the floor only to return and ignite another playoff win....I'll give Magic that "baby hook".....but Larry just seemed to keep coming up with....dare I say...."magical moments"....?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

It is a profound question who was greater.  It has to do with who you are inside how you see the world.  Bird and Magic, I say Bird but Magic was just as great. One thing I know they were both light years ahead of Kobe.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Laker-Nation32. Show Laker-Nation32's posts

Magic Johnson drafted #1
    Larry Bird #6

Bird won 3

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 21st. Show 21st's posts

Showtime in the sauna with Magic Johnson, smile!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 21st. Show 21st's posts

We all know who won this battle - no Kareem no rings for Magic.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

I cant buy into the No Kareem, No Titles for Magic...flipped around..No Magic, No Titles for Kareem

To me, Magic was the man on the Lakers, not Kareem. So in my eyes, Magic is most responsible for the Laker titles.

I like what someone posted about so many of Birds "Magical moments".  That's so very true and perhaps Im biased but I think that makes a distinction for Larry against all the others. 

As much as I believe Russell was the greatest player ever I dont think I enjoyed watching anyone play ball more than Larry Bird.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Karl is right how many titles did Kareem ever win in LA before Magic got there?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pliu. Show pliu's posts

This stuff about Bird being the #6 pick as some how reflective of a diminished status is ridiculous.

If anything it's a tribute to Auerbach's genuis.  Five teams could have had Bird and passed on him.  This was partly because Bird was a junior eligible and had made clear that he was playing his senior year (can you imagine that happening today?).  So, Red drafted Bird knowing that they would almost certainly have to wait a year.  He knew that the wait would be worth it.

It was also partly because Bird was playing in a program that no one had heard of.  The Indiana State Sycamores?  They were nothing before Bird got there and returned to nothing after he left.

I've heard that when Red scouted Bird he watched for about 10 minutes and then left the arena knowing that he wanted him.  Auerbach said something like Bird had four assists the first ten time he touched the ball.  That was enough for Red.

This stuff about Magic being second banana to Kareem is true--up to about 1987.  Kareem was the first option and rightly so.  But Magic elevated his game--especially his scoring-- when age began catching up to Kareem.

As I said before, niether Bird nor Magic would have been as great without the other.  They both used the other as the measure of their game.  The best only want to play the best.

I heard that Bird cried when told that Magic was retiring because he was HIV positive.  Remember what Magic said at Bird's retirement ceremony?  In a Celtic T-shirt, Magic said, "There are players I respect but Larry Bird is the only player that I fear.  Because if there's a way to beat you, Larry would find it."

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Great posts all....I'm a Celtic fan so I go with Bird.....but you couldn't go wrong with either guy....and that line about Magic become the #1 pick for Boston had he stayed
    in school for one more year?  .....Priceless......you can only imagine how great that Celtic team would've been.......also, Red going after Bird knowing that he had to wait another year...? another deal that continued the "Celtic mystique".....

Sections
Shortcuts