Larry Bird Was Better Than Magic Johnson

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lakersavenger. Show lakersavenger's posts

Re: Larry Bird Was Better Than Magic Johnson

Make up your minds. You say Russell was greater because he won more titles. But Magic is not better even though he won more titles than Bird. You say Russell was better than Wilt because he won more titles and face to face. Majic won more titles than Bird and face to face (even in college). You say Majic won because of Kareem and company, but Russell won with a bunch of HOF'ers. Make up your minds. Celtic fans continue to be a madhouse of illusions. Duke, stop acting so foolish in your old age. You too redley-russ.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

sorry if my geriatric way of thinking gets under your skin.....my take is that Russ is the greatest winner of all time.....he is one of the greatest players of all time....as are Bird and Magic....11 titles is what sets him apart....in fact, make that 14 titles in 15 years.....no one is close....Magic won more than Bird....fine by me....I think they are both great....when it comes to a "definitive best", my winner would be the Boston Celtics...that's all....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In Response to Re: Larry Bird Was Better Than Magic Johnson:
    Make up your minds. You say Russell was greater because he won more titles. But Magic is not better even though he won more titles than Bird. You say Russell was better than Wilt because he won more titles and face to face. Majic won more titles than Bird and face to face (even in college). You say Majic won because of Kareem and company, but Russell won with a bunch of HOF'ers. Make up your minds. Celtic fans continue to be a madhouse of illusions. Duke, stop acting so foolish in your old age. You too redley-russ.
    Posted by lakersavenger

Show me where I said either one is better.  I have said and maintain that you cannot compare them because they play different positions......Russ IS better than Wilt - they were both centers!!   Now read this VERY carefully, so you cannot misinterpret ONE word of what I am saying.....I cannot and will not compare these two great players, as they play different positions.....I WILL say:
    Magic Johnson - the best PG of all-time
    Larry Bird - the best SF of all-time

I hope that is clear enough for the avenger!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Laker-Nation32. Show Laker-Nation32's posts

Magic Johnson drafted #1
    Larry Bird #6

Magic won NCAA Championship
    Bird got beaten by Magic's Spartans

Magic won 5 NBA championships
    Bird won 3

Magic gave rise to SHOWTIME
    Bird's celtics were known as.....celtics (yawn)

Game over. Thanks for playing!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kybested. Show kybested's posts

In Response to Re: Larry Bird Was Better Than Magic Johnson : Looks like Laker-Nation32 just became Goner-Nation32. Ha Ha
    Posted by Fiercest34

From laker-nation to hiber-nation. lol

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Still dont get why some insist on calling Russ greatest winner of all time but not greatest player of all time.

Russ played with different Celtic generations and still won all the titles. Some believe Russ played with so many HOFers but lets get real. Do you really think KC is in the HOF player if Russ isnt on the team winning titles?  Satch Sanders was a good player, good defender that had Rondo-like shooting ability...Is Satch in the HOF if not on Russells team?

Some may argue about this but these players arent in the elite category imo. You gonna put Satch up there with McHale?

Russell made many C's HOF players cause they were on his team. Russ is the greatest player in NBA history, in basketball history. Case Closed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from calvinator. Show calvinator's posts

Still dont get why some insist on calling Russ greatest winner of all time but not greatest player of all time. Russ played with different Celtic generations and still won all the titles. Some believe Russ played with so many HOFers but lets get real. Do you really think KC is in the HOF player if Russ isnt on the team winning titles?  Satch Sanders was a good player, good defender that had Rondo-like shooting ability...Is Satch in the HOF if not on Russells team? Some may argue about this but these players arent in the elite category imo. You gonna put Satch up there with McHale? Russell made many C's HOF players cause they were on his team. Russ is the greatest player in NBA history, in basketball history. Case Closed.  
    Posted by Karllost

I agree with you. Let's rephrase that statement (greatest and best winner) into the following question. If you were to start a team from scratch who would you want. The player being called the best or the won who won the most? The answer should be pretty clear.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Laker-Nation32. Show Laker-Nation32's posts

Magic Johnson drafted #1
    Larry Bird #6

Magic won NCAA Championship
    Bird got beaten by Magic's Spartans

Magic won 5 NBA championships
    Bird won 3

Magic gave rise to SHOWTIME
    Bird's celtics were known as.....celtics (yawn)

Game over. Thanks for playing!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from koberulz. Show koberulz's posts

Wilt dominated Russell in every statistical category. The only reason Russell won the majority of the games was due to the teammates that he had and the lack of teammates that Wilt had.

Thanks for playing

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Jerry West among others stated that he would build his team around Russ.......don't remember if that was pre-MJ.....but I believe he said it many years after Russ retired as the greatest winner in collegiate/Olympic/professional basketball....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lakersavenger. Show lakersavenger's posts

sorry if my geriatric way of thinking gets under your skin.....my take is that Russ is the greatest winner of all time.....he is one of the greatest players of all time....as are Bird and Magic....11 titles is what sets him apart....in fact, make that 14 titles in 15 years.....no one is close....Magic won more than Bird....fine by me....I think they are both great....when it comes to a "definitive best", my winner would be the Boston Celtics...that's all....
    Posted by Duke4

So by that logic, Sam Jones won 10 titles so that makes him better than Jordan or Magic, or anybody else at guard for that matter? Oscar Robertson only won one, with Kareem in Milwaukee, but his being on the Cincinnatti Royals for most of his career with very little support, doesn't matter?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In Response to Re: Larry Bird Was Better Than Magic Johnson : So by that logic, Sam Jones won 10 titles so that makes him better than Jordan or Magic, or anybody else at guard for that matter? Oscar Robertson only won one, with Kareem in Milwaukee, but his being on the Cincinnatti Royals for most of his career with very little support, doesn't matter?
    Posted by lakersavenger

Sam Jones was a beast.....ask Jerry West!!  Once again, both great players, but Sam was a SG while Big O was a PG...don't know why that's so hard.  Sam is about 4th all-time, IMO, behind MJ, koME and West (although it is VERY close between he and West)

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dirty52. Show dirty52's posts

Jerry West among others stated that he would build his team around Russ.......don't remember if that was pre-MJ.....but I believe he said it many years after Russ retired as the greatest winner in collegiate/Olympic/professional basketball....
    Posted by Duke4

Wouldn't Lew Alcindor be the greatest collegiate winner?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

For a Lakers fan to try to use the Perkins trade to prove a point is ludicrous - look what the Lakers were able to accomplish (?) this year with their full team!  They looked like a team of Queen Jameses - all gaggers.  

As far as the Pippen, Jabbar, McHale argument to compare Bird, Johnson, and Jordan, it's clear Jordan never won without Pippen, Johnson never won without Uber Baby Jabbar, but we can't know what Bird would have done without McHale completely, but let's remember that McHale was the sixth man playing behind Max for a while and I do remember one championship.....  Kinda goes in Bird's favor among the three if one considers the starting fives.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dirty52. Show dirty52's posts

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/833438-jordan-wouldnt-have-won-all-those-championships-without-pippen

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Article giving Pippen much more credit than deserved imo. When Pippen came into the NBA he was widely regarded as a soft player. Rough him up a little bit and he folded.

The article goes on about how Pippen "allowed" MJ to score more and was the facilitator..Lol I dont recall Scottie playing PG or running the offense. The author making it sound like the ball was always in Scotties hands and he allowed MJ to get off by facilitating. Like allowing MJ to take the most shots was Scotties idea... like Phil didnt want it that way..rofl

There isnt a player in the modern NBA that can win titles all by himself. Nobody can stand on an NBA court with 4 second graders and win the title. In all the BUlls 6 championships, how many MVPs did Scottie win?

Sure, Pippin was an outstanding player but as time goes by he's being elevated to superstardom and the greatest this and that which Im not buying into.

The author should have pointed out how much freedom and space Scottie had cause MJ was on his team and drew double/triple teams so often.  When you look at great teams/players, one thing should shine through...

Who was the man on the team!  It was MJ, not Pippen.

When we talk the 60's, it was Russell, not Sam Jones.

The 80's it was Bird, not McHale or Parrish.

When youre the man, the role players can never be considered at your level or take credit for developing you. They picked up the rings along the way but that doesnt make them great, it makes the #1 on the team great.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Sam was a great player.....but he was not the leader on the team....Russell was unquestionably the alpha dog on the Celtics.....you are not comparing apples to apples....many greats didn't win a title...in MLB Ernie Banks and Don Mattingly come to mind....many others in various sports...but through 15 years playing with dozens of players...some HOF calibre and many others "role players" (think of the '69 team that beat Wilt, Baylor, and West)...Russ was the leader of those teams...that is my point.....after all, these are just our personal feelings and opinions....there is no clear cut way to answer the question....just speculation and common sense.....no?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In Response to Re: Larry Bird Was Better Than Magic Johnson : Wouldn't Lew Alcindor be the greatest collegiate winner?
    Posted by dirty52

Yes, but that was not what the post said - it said collegiate PLUS Olympics (which Big Lew boycotted because he's a racist) PLUS pro!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeezem. Show jeezem's posts

Greatest POINT GUARD ever - no doubt  - most complete player?  NOPE!!

mmmm... you might want to consider how many minutes MJ played at Point Guard.

Sections
Shortcuts