Larry Bird Was Better Than Magic Johnson

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Re: Larry Bird Was Better Than Magic Johnson

I thought about it and I have to ask myself the question....would Magic and Bird have made the Celtics a better team than Bird, McHale, and the Chief....?  ...man, I'm not so sure now that I think of it....Cowens was at the end of the line by then...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pliu. Show pliu's posts

Magic and Bird together?  Man, a purist's wet dream.  Can you imagine the ball movement?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from deanocelt. Show deanocelt's posts

Who's better Majic or Bird is kind of like saying what's better a Ferrari or a Rolls Royce? These were wto awesome basketball player and both clearly merits consideration when discussing the best basketball players of all time. My brain is not capable of reaching a solution to that problem. I loved them both.

Favorite Bird moment: Although there were many and many counted more than this, I loved the play when he was falling out of bounds behind the basket and he shot up a high rainbow over the backboard for a swish. I know the basket didn't count but that was sooo Larry. What a touch!

As far as Majic goes those no look passes were so awesome. I can see them like they were yesterday.

Many memories to cherish forever. I like thinking about who was better because it brings back all the great memories. I am tempted to say Larry becuase he was so awesome and I am a Celts fan. But Magic was - magic. The perfect nickname for the Ervin.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pliu. Show pliu's posts

Kareem was the 1st option until about 1987 but Magic revived his career.  Kareem won his first title with Oscar Robertson in 1971 but then didn't win one again until 1980.

During this stretch there were times when it seemd that Kareem was just going through the motions playing without joy or passion.  Sometimes it seemd that Kareem no longer enjoyed the game.  I think Magic relit the fire under him.

Of course that a passionless Kareem was still so dominant was a testament to the surreal talent he had.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 21st. Show 21st's posts

Robert "The Chief" Parish is one of the great Celtic players, but if Kareem was the Center during Larry Bird's career, the Celtics would have had another 8-peat!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pliu. Show pliu's posts

It's amazing that the last player to imitate Kareem's hookshot was Magic Johnson.

I mean, Kareem is only the all-time scoring leader.  How many came on that skyhook?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from clappy. Show clappy's posts

As I remember, they were both pretty good. And they did play different positions.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

Bird, but not by much.  As much as I hate the LA FAKERS, Magic made some awesome plays.  He was more flashy than Bird, but Bird was lunch pail and hard hat type player.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Laker-Nation32. Show Laker-Nation32's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6wyzFdezd0

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Magic
    Michael
    Bird
    Malone
    Russell

All great, I'd start a franchise with any one of them.....esp Russ!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lakersavenger. Show lakersavenger's posts

Magic 5 plus 1 college, Bird 3 no college. 'Nuff said.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In Response to Re: Larry Bird Was Better Than Magic Johnson:
    Magic 5 plus 1 college, Bird 3 no college. 'Nuff said.
    Posted by lakersavenger

Thanks for acknowledging Russell - 11 titles, 2 college and 1 Olympics (when they were amateurs!!) as the best ever - by YOUR words!!!!

Best PG ever, best SF ever - NOW 'nuff said!

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In Response to Re: Larry Bird Was Better Than Magic Johnson : Looks like Laker-Nation32 just became Goner-Nation32. Ha Ha
    Posted by Fiercest34

Yup, so much for the "longest thread."

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lakersavenger. Show lakersavenger's posts

In Response to Re: Larry Bird Was Better Than Magic Johnson : Thanks for acknowledging Russell - 11 titles, 2 college and 1 Olympics (when they were amateurs!!) as the best ever - by YOUR words!!!! Best PG ever, best SF ever - NOW 'nuff said!
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11

I thought we were talking about modern times.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Laker-Nation32. Show Laker-Nation32's posts

Magic Johnson drafted #1
    Larry Bird #6

Magic won NCAA Championship
    Bird got beaten by Magic's Spartans

Magic won 5 NBA championships
    Bird won 3

Magic gave rise to SHOWTIME
    Bird's celtics were known as.....celtics (yawn)

Game over. Thanks for playing!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Both players should be given as the example for all players to emulate. They made their teams better and they were always competitive while both men were on there rosters.

Lakers stayed competitive for slightly longer. Making the Finals over a longer period of time. Bird was more fragile physically in the end. And Boston just wasn't able to realistically challenge for the title after 1987. However this didn't mean that Bird wasn't dangerous. I saw a game that he played in 1992 against Portland where he really turned back time.

Magic allowed the Lakers to be much more consistent for longer. Making the finals almost every year. Even if we did lose in '89 (because of injury) and '91 we were at least playing for the championship. After '91 we were just not a strong team for a very long time.

Both men were equally fantastic. I'd take Magic just over Larry but I'd be happy with either of them playing in my team. I do think that what Larry accomplished with Indiana State was incredible, and such a feat may well never happen again.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Laker-Nation32. Show Laker-Nation32's posts

Posted by RUWorthy

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....................................................!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Good point.

In perspective of Birds impact to the Sycamores and leter with the Celtics his first year.... well those two events are very significant.

Taking a no nothing history at Indiana St and instantly turniong them into a national power until the day he left... when they reverted back to garbage.

Joining the C's and making the greatest turn-around in NBA history at the time... speaks volumes on how great Larry was and how much better he made teammates.

Magic may have been able to do the same only there is no evidence of it since the teams he played on have always had a good tradition and were pretty good when he joined.

Consider this hypothetical.. Take Magic & Larry both in their primes.. If either was placed on last years NJ Nets team ... what kind of impact would it make?

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

In Response to Re: Larry Bird Was Better Than Magic Johnson : I thought we were talking about modern times.
    Posted by lakersavenger

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

we are talking about modern times....that era started with the shot clock...almost one third of the Laker titles came in the old days......

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pliu. Show pliu's posts

No Duke.

According to the trolls "modern times" is when the Lakers began winning titles.  Thus what the Celtics did from 1957-1969 doesn't count.

Oh but wait a minute, these same trolls claim the Minny titles of the early 50's as their own.

So I guess what they are really saying is that "modern times" is whatever they say it is.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In Response to Re: Larry Bird Was Better Than Magic Johnson : I thought we were talking about modern times.
    Posted by lakersavenger

I thought this was about the NBA - didn't "modern times" start with the steam engine?  You cannot spin the facts to suit your own conclusions............does that make Robert Horry better than both?

Sections
Shortcuts