Larry Bird Was Better Than Magic Johnson

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

Larry Bird Was Better Than Magic Johnson

Not only was Bird the better shooter, he made players around him, better.  Magic was good because great players were around him.  Johnson would not have been that good on an average team.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Re: Larry Bird Was Better Than Magic Johnson

Don't lower yourself to their level, man............it's a long and boring off-season, but we don't need to do this!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Well, Bird won the Rookie of the Year award....and he won 3 MVP awards before Magic won his....Bird also helped the team to one of the greatest one year "turnarounds" (number of wins from the previous year)....Bird could shoot from all over the court....he was a great passer and ball handler....and he was a good rebounder....I really don't think he had any weakness....he wasn't fast but his timing and anticipation helped him to play very good "team defense"...I would take Bird....but I have no problem with anyone who would choose Magic....hell, they were both great....and it is refreshing to see how their rivalry turned into a lifelong friendship...a great ending to a great story...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from koberulz. Show koberulz's posts

Magic's rookie season won championship clincher playing all 5 positions

Bird won rookie of the year by turning around an already disgraceful team.

GAME OVER! Thanks for playing!Cool

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

Magic was never the best player on his own team! How many rings did he win after Kareem retired?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Laker-Nation32. Show Laker-Nation32's posts

Magic beat him in college and he beat him in rings. Watch and be amazed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZHXe3eTooY

Thanks for playing!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from koberulz. Show koberulz's posts

Many people compare Dirk to Bird.

I have included this picture for entertainment value. I think I see Birdlegs, oops, I mean Bird's legs behind there somewhere.

Case Closed!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

As I recall,

Magic played for a great team in college, while Bird played for a nowhere, nobody team, and almost beat the great Magic team.

Michigan was a great team without Magic.

Indiana State would not even be in the tournament without Bird.

Try harder next time.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

great points.......Larry Legend was like Russ.....all about winning......

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pliu. Show pliu's posts

Bird and Magic pushed each other to ever greater heights.  Niether would have been as great without the other. 

They both knew this and developed the utmost respect for each other that became a life-long friendship.

Too bad some fans can't display their class.

Magic had a more flamboyant personality but they both saw the game the same way: was a player a team-oriented winner or a stat hungry punk?

They were both about winning. Period.

I respect Magic but I love Bird.  Why? Because he was a Celtic of course.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

"punk"...as in Kobe I assume?...stat hungry?  ....absolutely......winner?....yes.....but Kobe was up to trading championships if it meant running Shaq out of town...Shaq left...Lakers stopped winning championships....Pau came along...Lakers won again....Kobe = Robin........only he spelled it Mamba........since he gave himself the nic-name....kind of like......"the flowers I sent myself just arrived".....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pliu. Show pliu's posts

Both Bird's and Magic's teammates now speak of them with respect and affection.

It will be real interesting to see how Kobe's teammates speak of him 10-15 years down the road.

What really sets Kobe apart from Bird or Magic or Jordan is that he was instrumental in pulling the plug on a team that still had titles in it.  LA won three straight and had the talent for one or two more.  But it all fell apart in a gigantic pissing contest of egos.

Can you imagine Bird or Magic or Jordan doing that.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

In Response to Re: Larry Bird Was Better Than Magic Johnson:
    [QUOTE]Don't lower yourself to their level, man............it's a long and boring off-season, but we don't need to do this!!
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11[/QUOTE]Forgive me.  I was just trying to be a petty agitator and pro-Celtic.  I only meant part of what I said in the original post.  I do believe Larry Bird was a better shooter than Magic.  Its just so boring with the stupid NBA lockout.  I think I'll just fold up and go fly some paper airplanes. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheNewGKDynasty. Show TheNewGKDynasty's posts

Magic was and always will be the most complete player in the history of Basketball period and  no one can deny it, not even Celtics fans. Could play all 5 positions and not only play them but play them great. Proof of this:In game 6, Magic Johnson played what may have been the greatest game of his career. Playing on the road in Philadelphia, Magic (a 6'9" point guard) started the game at center and eventually played all 5 positions in a dominating performance. Scoring a game-high 42 points and grabbing a game-high 15 rebounds—and handing out 7 assists—Magic Johnson led the Lakers to the NBA crown.
    No one can claim that, no one not even the best in the history Mr. Michael Jordan. Jordan is the best but not the most complete. Bird was great but Magic was greater. Look at the numbers, numbers don't lie.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 21st. Show 21st's posts

[QUOTE]Magic was and always will be the most complete player in the history of Basketball period and  no one can deny it, not even Celtics fans. Could play all 5 positions and not only play them but play them great. Proof of this:In game 6, Magic Johnson played what may have been the greatest game of his career. Playing on the road in Philadelphia, Magic (a 6'9" point guard) started the game at center and eventually played all 5 positions in a dominating performance. Scoring a game-high 42 points and grabbing a game-high 15 rebounds—and handing out 7 assists—Magic Johnson led the Lakers to the NBA crown . No one can claim that, no one not even the best in the history Mr. Michael Jordan. Jordan is the best but not the most complete. Bird was great but Magic was greater. Look at the numbers, numbers don't lie.
    Posted by TheNewGKDynasty[/QUOTE]

How many championships did Magic win without Kareem?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from koberulz. Show koberulz's posts

Magic > Bird

Laughing

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 21st. Show 21st's posts

[QUOTE]Magic /> Bird
    Posted by koberulz[/QUOTE]

Magic Johnson lost to Isiah, Dr. J, MJ, and Bird. FOUR-PEAT!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]Magic was and always will be the most complete player in the history of Basketball period and  no one can deny it, not even Celtics fans. Could play all 5 positions and not only play them but play them great. Proof of this:In game 6, Magic Johnson played what may have been the greatest game of his career. Playing on the road in Philadelphia, Magic (a 6'9" point guard) started the game at center and eventually played all 5 positions in a dominating performance. Scoring a game-high 42 points and grabbing a game-high 15 rebounds—and handing out 7 assists—Magic Johnson led the Lakers to the NBA crown . No one can claim that, no one not even the best in the history Mr. Michael Jordan. Jordan is the best but not the most complete. Bird was great but Magic was greater. Look at the numbers, numbers don't lie.

Everyone always brings up that one game............look, the guy was great, Bird was great, Kareem was great, Russell was great.......BEST ever?  Michael Jordan, and anyone with a hint of honesty who lives outside of LA will tell you the same thing.  It's bad enough that we have to listen to the Bryant/Jordan comparisons.....you lose, now we have Johnson/Jordan???  Ask Magic himself:

"There's Michael Jordan, then there's the rest of us."  - Magic Johnson!

Greatest POINT GUARD ever - no doubt  - most complete player?  NOPE!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from koberulz. Show koberulz's posts

"Everyone always brings up that one game......" - Redley34

That's because it was the only time in NBA history that a rookie started in the Finals and played all 5 positions and led his team to the title. And then you say he is not the most complete player. Delusional. Thanks again for trying to play.  Laughing

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheNewGKDynasty. Show TheNewGKDynasty's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Larry Bird Was Better Than Magic Johnson : How many championships did Magic win without Kareem?
    Posted by 21st[/QUOTE]
    We can go all day with that. How many would Bird win without McHale??? How many would Bird win without Parish? How many would Kobe win without Shaq? How many would Shaq win wihtout Kobe. You want me to keep on? How many would Kobe win without Gasol? How many would Gasol win without Kobe? How many Would Jordan win without Pippen? How many would Pippen win without Jordan? You want me to keep going? I will stop because I would write a bible too long for people to read. I would go on for all 65 of the NBA seasons. IT'S BASKETBALL NOT TENNIS, BOXING OR BOWLING. Very lame argument. It's a team game. It depends on all 12 players in a long grueling season of 82 games. No bench no ring.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheNewGKDynasty. Show TheNewGKDynasty's posts

I forgot, How many championships did Pierce win in his 10 or so years in green before KG and Allen came to town?????? How many championships would Pierce win without KG and Allen? How many would KG win without Pierce and Allen? How many would Allen win without Pierce and KG? Not that they won multiples but would have the grand total of 0 without each other. It is that simple my friend.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Larry Bird Was Better Than Magic Johnson : We can go all day with that. How many would Bird win without McHale??? How many would Bird win without Parish? How many would Kobe win without Shaq? How many would Shaq win wihtout Kobe. You want me to keep on? How many would Kobe win without Gasol? How many would Gasol win without Kobe? How many Would Jordan win without Pippen? How many would Pippen win without Jordan? You want me to keep going? I will stop because I would write a bible too long for people to read. I would go on for all 65 of the NBA seasons. IT'S BASKETBALL NOT TENNIS, BOXING OR BOWLING. Very lame argument. It's a team game. It depends on all 12 players in a long grueling season of 82 games. No bench no ring.

I think the argument is how many would McHale have won without Bird!!  Bird was the best player on his team - from Day 1....Magic became the best player on his team, but it was Kareem's team when he got there!!  And, btw, it IS how many would Pippen win without Jordan, because Jordan would have still won 6 without Pippen.........hope that helps!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from caesarthecat. Show caesarthecat's posts

both great players
    both made their team mates better
    both with great team mates (dj mc hale parish kareem worthy)
    magic more rings
    but for me bird is number 1 ever (ever since 80s....) as the most complete player, scoring rebounding passing defense attitude......

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Laker-Nation32. Show Laker-Nation32's posts

[QUOTE]Well, Bird won the Rookie of the Year award....
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

At the same time Magic won a title in his rookie year!

5 />3

Thanks for playing!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheNewGKDynasty. Show TheNewGKDynasty's posts

So Bird would have won the same without the one of the greatest fowards in the history of the NBA??? If you say so. And Jordan would win the same without Pippen???? Respect your opinion but like I said it's not Tennis or Boxing, it's basketball a team sport. I am 100% sure none of them would have won the same without each other. Team chemistry is very important also. Did you see what happened to your beloved Celtics after the Perkins trade. Was it a good trade for the Celtics in the long run??? Definitely yes but when you are going for a championship and you know your window of wining it again is nearly shut you do not mess with team chemistry. Sorry but can't agree with you on this one Russ.

Sections
Shortcuts