larry bird would have tried playing Ray

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

larry bird would have tried playing Ray

Those who remember Larry Bird playing after a night in traction at the hospital on his back.   Or playing twenty minutes after smashing his face in the garden floor. Or playing the 85 finals with a broken hand(yes he broke it in bar fight).  Can see how things have changed I just saw Ray walking without a limp and shooting threes with efficency in practice in Csne.

Yes Ray is limited and wants to play but today's player is not like those from the Bird era or before him.

He should stop thinking about his future contract and think about his five years here and what it has meant to his image and career.

Garnett or Pierce you know would be out there.  Argue all you want but they would.

Ray is not in the shape Shaq was in last year you can see it just watching him walk

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Re: larry bird would have tried playing Ray

Ray had never missed a playoff game in his career before. If he couldn't go, I don't question him.

Comparing anybody to Bird in terms of toughness is unfair. Like comparing anyone to the Beatles.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In Response to Re: larry bird would have tried playing Ray:
    [QUOTE]Ray had never missed a playoff game in his career before. If he couldn't go, I don't question him. Comparing anybody to Bird in terms of toughness is unfair. Like comparing anyone to the Beatles.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]
    I don't agree but get your point. Mchale played on a broken leg throughtout the 1987 finals.  Watch Ray at workouts or walking into the arena.  He looks like he could give it a try.  He needs to.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OC-CeltsFan. Show OC-CeltsFan's posts

I just think that maybe the Cs are taking the hawks lightly. They figure they can get by this round without him. I'm just guessing that they know ray can only play a finite number of games before the ankle completely breaks down and he can't move. So maybe save him for the layer rounds.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

Ray himself says that he's not ready to go. There's no sense in playing him if he can't run and move well. Ray relies heavily on his mobility to get shots. Larry Bird's career was effectively shortened by his insistence on playing through his injuries.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

Huhh, the team is clearly better without Ray, 16-4 I guess. Many posters said so! Why should Doc play Ray when he is injured?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobbestgolf. Show bobbestgolf's posts

If you watched any specials on Lary Bird his career was not ended on playing hurt it came from building a sidewalk for his mother's home in Frenchlick. He ruin his back doing that for his mother. Reasearch that and you will find it. True he had more career ending injuries throwing himself on the floor chasing balls and maybe returning to early for injuries to play, but that's the desire in a true basketball star. comments please.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyCelt2. Show KyCelt2's posts

[QUOTE]This is the most bs thread ever. Playing injured hurts the team.
    Posted by Kirk6[/QUOTE]

As usual, you're right!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]Ray himself says that he's not ready to go. There's no sense in playing him if he can't run and move well. Ray relies heavily on his mobility to get shots. Larry Bird's career was effectively shortened by his insistence on playing through his injuries.
    Posted by edcap99[/QUOTE]

I agree that Ray would be playing if he could.  He is probably just hoping that he will be able to play for a few minutes a game at some point.  Although, I am not sure that we see Ray again for the remainder of the season.  
    Something that they are discussing today which is very relevant is that this condensed season resulted in many of these injuries throughout the league. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

[QUOTE]This is the most bs thread ever. Playing injured hurts the team.
    Posted by Kirk6[/QUOTE]
    Kirk without the details we really don't know what we are dealing with, but playing injured most certainly does not hurt a team. It is part of the game and even goes for all sports. It is when greatness is often realized

My point was Ray appears to be able to give it a try and should.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyCelt2. Show KyCelt2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: larry bird would have tried playing Ray : Kirk without the details we really don't know what we are dealing with, but playing injured most certainly does not hurt a team. It is part of the game and even goes for all sports. It is when greatness is often realized My point was Ray appears to be able to give it a try and should.
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

When i agreed with Kirk, i was agreeing only with the playing injured part, not about the thread!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Bird and McHale began to fall apart during the '89-'90 season, thats the year after Bird missed an entire season and the whole 'playing on a broken foot' thing caught up with McHale.

Bird was 33 and McHale 31

Ray is 36

My point is that Larry/Kev had their careers cut short by these injuries and playing through them. Ray is still playing at a high level at 36 b/c he kept his body in great shape (Larry liked to drink beer and get in bar fights) and didn't play hurt the few times he was dinged up. He wants to play 2-3 more years.

Ray is not going to limp around in games 1 & 2 and get destroyed by JJ b/c he's a 'warrior' Pietrus/Sasha shoot worse from 3 but their D and mobility makes up for it. We need Ray at 90% for game 3... not at 60-70% games 1 and 2.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: larry bird would have tried playing Ray :  When i agreed with Kirk, i was agreeing only with the playing injured part, not about the thread!!
    Posted by KyCelt2[/QUOTE]
    No offense taken.  I am perfectly capable of making a dumb thread or statement.

When it comes to the Celtics I only think I know what is right.  When confronted with the real facts I would be the first to admit I know nothing.

It just seemed to me that Ray needs to try it out.   Whether he will or not nobody but Ray knows.  By the way I just hope he still loves playing for this team and wants to make  a run.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from walk2run. Show walk2run's posts

In response to "larry bird would have tried playing Ray": [QUOTE]Those who remember Larry Bird playing after a night in traction at the hospital on his back.   Or playing twenty minutes after smashing his face in the garden floor. Or playing the 85 finals with a broken hand(yes he broke it in bar fight).  Can see how things have changed I just saw Ray walking without a limp and shooting threes with efficency in practice in Csne. Yes Ray is limited and wants to play but today's player is not like those from the Bird era or before him. He should stop thinking about his future contract and think about his five years here and what it has meant to his image and career. Garnett or Pierce you know would be out there.  Argue all you want but they would. Ray is not in the shape Shaq was in last year you can see it just watching him walk Posted by concord27[/QUOTE] Maybe you should be questioning those with good ankles as to why they played like crap!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyCelt2. Show KyCelt2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: larry bird would have tried playing Ray : No offense taken.  I am perfectly capable of making a dumb thread or statement. When it comes to the Celtics I only think I know what is right.  When confronted with the real facts I would be the first to admit I know nothing. It just seemed to me that Ray needs to try it out.   Whether he will or not nobody but Ray knows.  By the way I just hope he still loves playing for this team and wants to make  a run.
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

In my opinion, Ray would never miss a play off game if there was any chance he could help the team win. You could see it on his face, how much he wanted to be playing!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Ray's history shows he will and does play hurt. However, McHale, Walton, and Grant Hill are all examples of players and doctors doing stupid things to play and paying a huge price for it. Bird didn't hurt his back on the court nor his finger, but he certainly didn't help his injuries heal by playing. Playing when the doctors give you caution about the dangerous consequences actually killed Reggie Lewis. Players are smarter now and they listen to doctors....appropriately. Thank Goodness the Celtics listened to Doctors on Green. Same for concussion issues in all sports! It's not fair to question a guy who's given it his all and works out like crazy, is the only Celtic vet to be in shape when the season started, and is admired by everyone for his work ethic........because he's listening to his doctor's, his coach, and his body. Ray is making the right decision. I don't want him hobbling on the floor and hurting the team. He should not play until he can cut and slide side to side.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: larry bird would have tried playing Ray : In my opinion, Ray would never miss a play off game if there was any chance he could help the team win. You could see it on his face, how much he wanted to be playing!!
    Posted by KyCelt2[/QUOTE]
    I guess maybe my feelings were hurt when Tanguay and Donny Marshall on comcast started saying he is going to the Heat next year.  I hope Ray can stay on with the Celtics coming off the bench next year. I think he will have a far better year and hope he will be healthy.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

understand your frustration with the loss but: 

1. we don't win if gimpy Ray plays. Problem was the poor play of the guys on the court. 

2. Larry Bird was already slow and unathletic. Playing hurt wasn't as big a deal to him in terms of his ability to impact the game. He was a warrior but...Ray in his case relies on his athleticism and a particular shooting stroke. Bird could throw it up in all kinds of unconventional ways. An injured Ray can't help the team. 

and...

why should Ray put risk of career-threatening injury and further health complications on the line for a team that shopped him aggressively at the deadline and would have traded him if Mayo had said yes? What type of loyalty is truly expected here? Expecting players to play hard, yes. Putting your health at risk for a team that shopped you around - I don't think that's a fair level of expectation from a fan's part.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

[QUOTE]Ray's history shows he will and does play hurt. However, McHale, Walton, and Grant Hill are all examples of players and doctors doing stupid things to play and paying a huge price for it. Bird didn't hurt his back on the court nor his finger, but he certainly didn't help his injuries heal by playing. Playing when the doctors give you caution about the dangerous consequences actually killed Reggie Lewis. Players are smarter now and they listen to doctors....appropriately. Thank Goodness the Celtics listened to Doctors on Green. Same for concussion issues in all sports! It's not fair to question a guy who's given it his all and works out like crazy, is the only Celtic vet to be in shape when the season started, and is admired by everyone for his work ethic........because he's listening to his doctor's, his coach, and his body. Ray is making the right decision. I don't want him hobbling on the floor and hurting the team. He should not play until he can cut and slide side to side.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]
    After reading your excellent explanation I am starting to think you are right.  What I will say is that greatness often does come out of trying to play with injuries.  Mind over matter is a real phenomena.  

But as you say Ray is the kind of guy who would do it if he could.  I have to accept that.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sk8brd. Show sk8brd's posts

I say we play him.  What do we got to lose?  If Ray goes down, it wouldn't matter anyway.  He isn't coming back next year either.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In response to "larry bird would have tried playing Ray": [QUOTE]Those who remember Larry Bird playing after a night in traction at the hospital on his back.   Or playing twenty minutes after smashing his face in the garden floor. Or playing the 85 finals with a broken hand(yes he broke it in bar fight).  Can see how things have changed I just saw Ray walking without a limp and shooting threes with efficency in practice in Csne. Yes Ray is limited and wants to play but today's player is not like those from the Bird era or before him. He should stop thinking about his future contract and think about his five years here and what it has meant to his image and career. Garnett or Pierce you know would be out there.  Argue all you want but they would. Ray is not in the shape Shaq was in last year you can see it just watching him walk Posted by concord27[/QUOTE] How do YOU know Ray is thinking about some future contract? Your attitude is like the guy or gal who has the flu and comes to the office sick and makes the office sick while doing terrible work from feeling bad. You're really not helping if you KNOW you're not capable. I trust Ray's judgment and his dedication. But, if he was thinking about some future contract, I wouldn't blame him. Danny is clear that he has NO loyalty to Ray as he's tried to move him 3 straight years at the trade deadline. So, Ray knows he's just a commodity.....even to some on this board who advocate trading him. But, through all of that, he should ignore what his foot is telling him and go out to make a fool of himself? Get real.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In response to "Re: larry bird would have tried playing Ray": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: larry bird would have tried playing Ray : After reading your excellent explanation I am starting to think you are right.  What I will say is that greatness often does come out of trying to play with injuries.  Mind over matter is a real phenomena.   But as you say Ray is the kind of guy who would do it if he could.  I have to accept that. Posted by concord27[/QUOTE] You're right that mind over matter works in many cases. I just think it applies only in certain injuries ( fingers, felling sick, sprained ankles, etc). But if it's torn tendons in a knee or bone spurs in a foot, concussions, or a heart type problem......good judgement should override valor.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

It's a shame about Ray......but I just hope Doc puts E'Twan Moore out there instead of Keyon Dooling...

...no Ray ? OK, but let the kid have a chance at rookie glory, we know Keyon is a nice guy mid career journeyman, but Moore was drafted for a reason, let's see in game #2 if he is going to be part of the Celtics future....

your thoughts ?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Ray's been a pro's pro over the years. He's a class act.

If Ray says he can't go, that's good enough for me. As for "what do we have to lose," good grief.

Sections
Shortcuts