Last Shot Lingering

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

Last Shot Lingering

-

Many minds linger still over the last shot, on the last play, of last night's game, in regulation during  last night’s Celtic overtime loss to the Miami Heat.  These minds, many of them brilliant, some of the Celtic, wonder how it could go so wrong.

You know Doc’s reputation as a genius at drawing up out –of bounds plays.  As I always say, in Doc we trust.  And Doc called for the right play, one that has worked hundreds of times, one that has won ball games. But something happened with the execution of the play and we were all left scratching our heads and wondering “how the hell did Paul end up taking a 22 foot fall away jumper with James all over him.  The shot came close, it hit rim, but it clanked up and off and into overtime we went where the gassed old Celtics gave up the ghost and the game. 

That was our game at that moment to win. 

What went wrong?

Doc designed that play as a play with at least 3 options, each one of them good:  either Paul, Ray or KG should get a good look from a spot on the floor from where their comfortable.  It goes like this:  ball out of bounds left side ¾ court: Ray takes the inbounds pass and  hands it off  to Paul and he curls toward the foul line as Kg, starting down below the foul line starts up toward top of the key.  The idea is that Ray picks off  KG’s man freeing up KG so he can go out to the wing set a pick on Paul’s defender setting up a potential pick and roll.  Rondo and Delonte had been hiding out in the left corner taking their defenders with them, and they begin to move out as the play develops allowing Ray to curl through the lane and set up in his favorite spot in the left corner. 

We might have had one of those good options, Paul on the elbow from his sweet spot, KG rolling to the basket, or Ray from the corner except for one thing:  Ray and KG got tangled up near the top of the key as Ray went to set his pick.  They bumped into each other, tried to go around each other, and did it again.  Meanwhile the clock is ticking and Paul is wondering what is going on waving at KG for the pick to develop but time ran out, and with 5 seconds left Paul went into his move, but James was right there with him as Paul went up into his fade-away jumper hotly contested by James. 

Overtime.  You know the rest. 

Here are a few clips from the post game interviews.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

Re: Last Shot Lingering

Welcome back Rajon!  Smile

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Last shot lingering in my mind is...Rondo blowing a wide open simple layup at the most crucial point at the end of the game.  It broke our backs, took the wind out of our sails and ultimately resulted in the Cetlics having to score in the last possession to prevent the game from going into overtime.  Inexcuseable. Your not going to win a championship if you give away opportunities like that.  Rondo played a great game 3 and was fair in game 4...but champions don't miss a potential game winning layup in a must win game.  An appropriate closure to Rondo's hopefully last season with the Celtics.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

In Response to Re: Last Shot Lingering:

Last shot lingering in my mind is...Rondo blowing a wide open simple layup at the most crucial point at the end of the game.  It broke our backs, took the wind out of our sails and ultimately resulted in the Cetlics having to score in the last possession to prevent the game from going into overtime.  Inexcuseable. Your not going to win a championship if you give away opportunities like that.  Rondo played a great game 3 and was fair in game 4...but champions don't miss a potential game winning layup in a must win game.  An appropriate closure to Rondo's hopefully last season with the Celtics.

Posted by Eldunker

-

This is true, El Dunko, as it's also true that no one shot counts more than any other.

But admit it, that last out-of-bounds play, I was saying, "Doc and the Celtics excel at these out-of-bounds plays.", and I really expected a real good look at a game winning shot. 

Hey, it should have could have been 2 -2 going down to Miami.

So sad it all came down to KG's fatigue and tired legs.  He could not move through the fatigue, mental and physical to run the play correctly.  He bungled Ray's pick and then wandered around out there for a few precious seconds leaving Paul stranded out there on the wing with the ball thinking one thing was going to happen, and when it didn't happen, Paul had to create going left, not his forte, and still the shot rimmed out, almost going down.

It's a game of fractions of an inch and all night the tired legs of the C's showed that fatigue as shot after shot almost dropped but instead rimmed out or went halfway down then popped out.

They should do better in Miami on Wednesday.

I'm not counting them out by a long shot.

Read my post game take, Heartbreaking . . . and den some!

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

In Response to Re: Last Shot Lingering : Kissing bum is your way of getting support? Don't forget you still lost the bet!

Posted by Fiercest34

-

Fierce, you are a tiresome bore with your constant baiting and feuding.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

In Response to Re: Last Shot Lingering : He lost in a bet he himself proposed. I'm just collecting the debt that he owes me. Let me ask you this, Rondowski, if you lost a bet would you honor the bet and pay up?

Posted by Fiercest34

-

It's gone on too long and has become tiresome and boring.  Move on and let it go.  Please.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

In Response to Re: Last Shot Lingering : Please, Rondowski, if you lost in a bet would you pay up if you lost?

Posted by Fiercest34

-

Probably not, if it was a forum bet.

But I'm glad we're having this conversation, Fierce.  I used to like you.  You, like me, are a true believer, a defender of the faith.

But I don't know if you realize it, but you have become something of a bully here. Maybe you were bullied in your life and so you bully here.

I used to love to read Mployee8's posts.: they were long and full of content and statistical analyses.  Now he rarely posts anymore. Are you responsible for that?

That is our loss. I often argued with him, disagreed with him vociferously, yet I respected his opinion and I never baited him or feuded with him.

Why do you feud with people?  Why do you bait?  Why do you engage with trolls?

Keep the faith, Brother, take the high road.  There are enough low-lifes around here without you stooping to their level and becoming one of them.

Being a bully is not an admirable thing.  No one admires a bully.  Do you really want to be a bully?

I don't think so.

I can't and won't tell you what to do, but I can tell you what I think, for the little it's worth.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Fiercest, I agree with Rajon... you flood so many threads with this bet nonsense, its become annoying. You've become a stalker of Mployee.. just about every post he makes, there you are putting forth this bet nonsense.

Trust me, every regular poster knows you won the bet, how could we miss it??

Give it a rest already. Nobody wants to filter through post after post after post of "you lost the bet" to finally find the next relevant post to the thread.  

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In Response to Re: Last Shot Lingering : I apologize if I'm flooding the threads with my billing notice. But you have to understand, Karllost, where I come from if you lost a bet you have to pay up. Besides, only a moron would think that a guy like Anthony Tolliver, a D-Leaguer, would have better numbers than Glen Davis.  
    Posted by Fiercest34

I have to admit..."billing notice" cracked me up LOL

Comes a time when you realize the bill isnt going to be paid.. send it to a collection agency and let them handle it

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

Excellent post and comments Rondowski ... It ain't over till it's ovah!

Posted by Mployee8

_

Im going to quote you on that one, it ain't over till it's over.  the C's won on the road all season especially when they needed it most. They just got to overcome the fatigue and the tired legs, mind over matter.  These guys are tough enough to do it.

I bet the C's did a little film study then a few walk throughs of that play.

I doubt we'll see it bothced again. 

Can't guarantee a hoop, but at least a very good look. Not like that one.

http://rajonrondowski.blogspot.com/

Sections
Shortcuts