Lessons from the Perkins trade

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shamrocks4ever. Show Shamrocks4ever's posts

Lessons from the Perkins trade

Several valid points have been made to the effect that we shouldn't blame the Perk trade on the nose-dive the Celtics' season has taken since:  Perk was out injured most of the year and they did great without him then; we had an even worse swoon last year (record-wise) with Perk; Shaq was expected to (and still may, in the playoffs) replace the size and toughness that Perk provided, plus be a better scoring option; and, Ainge had to consider the future - with Perk almost a sure goner after the season, he made the best long-term move to keep the team competitive a year or two down the road (although I'd rather win a championship, then become a lottery team, than not win one and then become a 40-50 win team for the next several years).  All fair points, and I agree with those who say not to give up hope just yet - we'll find out for sure in the playoffs, one way or another.  And, even if it ends as badly as it currently looks, we can't blame all of it on the Perk trade (injuries have been an even bigger factor than last year).  Still, I think there are two vital lessons we can learn from this trade - at least, I hope Celtics' management has learned them:
      First, when your team is already arguably the best team in the league with the season two-thirds over, you probably shouldn't trade one of your starting five.  Period. 
      Second, never trade tough for soft.  Jeff Green (heck, even Nenad Krstic) is a more talented player than Kendrick Perkins.  The problem is, both Green* and Krstic are soft, finesse players - neither one plays physical, and when the going gets tough, they fold (at least, that's what I'm seeing so far).  The playoffs are war - you can win that war with one or two soft players in a featured role, provided you have enough tough guys to watch their backs.  The Celtics - at least of late - no longer seem to have enough "toughs" to bail out the "softs."  Seeing Kurt Thomas and Carlos Boozer bully the C's without anyone standing up to them last week was too much to take - no way that happened when a certain #43 was in Boston.  Those Celtics may have lost the game, but they would never have let that stuff slide.
      I only hope that this year's Celtics can find the toughness that's gone missing in time to salvage their season.  They also need to play with a lot more discipline and be less careless with the ball, but that's a whole other subject - and one that's easier to fix (a few good practices can tighten up the mistakes, but heart and toughness are things that you either have or don't have).  Yesterday, Pierce and Garnett showed some heart - everybody else, not so much.  Like I said, I hope the rest can find it in time.  
      Any thoughts?

*I hadn't seen much of Green before the trade, so I didn't realize that he was so passive (if you prefer a more charitable word than "soft").  I mostly remembered his 2007 draft profile - good size, great all-around skills, unselfish teammate.  Now that I've seen him play regularly for the past month, he just seems tentative and disinterested - I guess that's the other side of being "unselfish," and it's not helping the team.  The frustrating thing is, this guy has the skills to be indispensable to any team if he ever develops the right attitude and killer instinct.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbrann. Show mbrann's posts

Re: Lessons from the Perkins trade

Green is a bit furstrating in the way that you say. Maybe he will come around as he gets more minutes. For Nenad...damn...I wish that, just once in a while, he would hammer somebody whose going in for a layup. He's got 6 fouls to give and he's 7 feet tall...just sayin

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigJoedaddyBoston. Show BigJoedaddyBoston's posts

The trade sucks!  DA made a foolish mistake.   Celtics had the blueprint that everyone tried to copy with the interior D and the bigs.  The Bulls, OKC, and the Heat all added bigs to compete against the cletics and lakers.   Anyone with half a brain saw this.  Jeff Green is extremely overrated!  Kristic is D ball player.   Ainge was brilliant to land us allen, garnett but this trade makes me sick!!!  He should be fired.   WHy gamble everything on a 39 year old shaq while he was hurt.   I can see if we traded perk and shaq was healthy but we traded perk when shaq and JO were hurt.  Then we got rid of erden.  Everyone knows defense and rebounds wins champinships.   Every game we got out-rebounded in the playoofs last year we lost.   DA knew this and made great moves in the off season by getting Shaq, JO and Erden this year. We had 4 bigs.    We had the best record and then DA takes a hit of acid, and decides to trade Perk (i am not saying he is an all star- but he is an old school great role player who plays great D) and rely on SHaq who was injured at the time of the trade.  How stupid could you be?  And for who?  Jeff Green!  He looks as intimidating as micky mouse out there.   COach Tibs called Garnett and Perk the best defensive duo he has seen!  They underestimated Perks value to OUR team.  I am not saying he was Dwight Howard but HE was what OUR team needed.  Having him and SHAQ would be wonderful going into the playoffs  but now we look like a girls high school team with Jeff Green that dope Murphy and kistric.   Blow the team up now.   We were robbed another shot at the title thansk to this terrible trade.  Fire DA!!  He passed up on DeAndre Jordan as well.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Nice post but I think people are forgetting what this team looked like at the AS break. Remember Quis went down, West wasn't playing yet, Erden was spotty, no JON either at that time.. Wafer and Luke were seeing MAJOR minutes.

So we had no bakup for PP. So let's say we didn't make the trade and PP goes down? Now you have NO SF at all. Too late to pick anyone up worth signing.

Then Deng, James, Melo, AI are licking their chops to play the C's.

I'm just saying let's be real about the scenario and remember the picture. The picture doesn't look bright it just needs some sharpness and contrast.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toine83. Show toine83's posts

It's true that DA traded for soft players, maybe, looking for more scoring punch in that second unit, hoping that JO and Shaq were going to have a bigger role in the playoffs.
    Last year we had Shelden, TA, Quis guys with more heart than talent and the result was very good, almost excelent.
    Now we have the talent, we are missing the heart, the toughness but...maybe some of these players can develop this killing instinct playing with guys like KG or PP...
    It's probably easier to learn how to be tough when you have talent than learn this talent when you are tough... the question is, is it possible in 2months?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulbrr7. Show paulbrr7's posts

In Response to Re: Lessons from the Perkins trade:
    [QUOTE]The trade sucks!  DA made a foolish mistake.   Celtics had the blueprint that everyone tried to copy with the interior D and the bigs.  The Bulls, OKC, and the Heat all added bigs to compete against the cletics and lakers.   Anyone with half a brain saw this.  Jeff Green is extremely overrated!  Kristic is D ball player.   Ainge was brilliant to land us allen, garnett but this trade makes me sick!!!  He should be fired.   WHy gamble everything on a 39 year old shaq while he was hurt.   I can see if we traded perk and shaq was healthy but we traded perk when shaq and JO were hurt.  Then we got rid of erden.  Everyone knows defense and rebounds wins champinships.   Every game we got out-rebounded in the playoofs last year we lost.   DA knew this and made great moves in the off season by getting Shaq, JO and Erden this year. We had 4 bigs.    We had the best record and then DA takes a hit of acid, and decides to trade Perk (i am not saying he is an all star- but he is an old school great role player who plays great D) and rely on SHaq who was injured at the time of the trade.  How stupid could you be?  And for who?  Jeff Green!  He looks as intimidating as micky mouse out there.   COach Tibs called Garnett and Perk the best defensive duo he has seen!  They underestimated Perks value to OUR team.  I am not saying he was Dwight Howard but HE was what OUR team needed.  Having him and SHAQ would be wonderful going into the playoffs  but now we look like a girls high school team with Jeff Green that dope Murphy and kistric.   Blow the team up now.   We were robbed another shot at the title thansk to this terrible trade.  Fire DA!!  He passed up on DeAndre Jordan as well.
    Posted by BigJoedaddyBoston[/QUOTE]

Relax big daddy, the Celtics do not need Perkins, they need running. They need Doc to understand he has a different team with different players, Doc needs to adjust NOT THE PLAYERS! This team won most of the year without Perkins because they were running which is how this team is built to win. So if you all want to get on someone it should be Doc.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

In Response to Re: Lessons from the Perkins trade:
    [QUOTE]Nice post but I think people are forgetting what this team looked like at the AS break. Remember Quis went down, West wasn't playing yet, Erden was spotty, no JON either at that time.. Wafer and Luke were seeing MAJOR minutes. So we had no bakup for PP. So let's say we didn't make the trade and PP goes down? Now you have NO SF at all. Too late to pick anyone up worth signing. Then Deng, James, Melo, AI are licking their chops to play the C's. I'm just saying let's be real about the scenario and remember the picture. The picture doesn't look bright it just needs some sharpness and contrast.
    Posted by BiasLewis[/QUOTE]

I'm not a fan of the trade but those are good points. Still though, the Rockets traded Shane Battier for pennies on the dollar. Hasheem Thabeet a big man who averages 2.3 points a game in his career. I mean you never know, maybe danny tried. But it seems like he could have sent Nate and Semih and first round pick there and kept perkins.

oh well let's just hope Shaq gets healthy and is the magic ingredient.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cshashaty. Show cshashaty's posts

Why don't we wait and see how the season plays out before judging the trade? DA knows a lot more about basketball than any of us...

9. This post has been removed.