Let Marshon Brooks man the point

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Let Marshon Brooks man the point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6J4juRaBMc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZt4_UzsO0U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGoWQsv4TdQ

Watch this and tell me if you don't conclude:

• Marshon can initiate an offensive set as a combo guard, catch and shoot or finish a play that's broken down
    • Marhson is more productive when given real playing time and made a focal point of the offense

Consider:

• Without Rondo we need someone to initiate a simplified offense and Pressey is unproven
    • Bradley's skill-sets are accentuated in a shooting guard role

So why not start Bradley and Brooks together. Let Brooks and Green initiate the offense and let Avery do what he will be good at which is cutting, elbow jumper and corner threes. As starters, both of these guys should achieve 30mpg (leaving 16 for Lee, 8 for Crawford and 12 for Pressey, Bogans a backup)

2: Bradley

2: Brooks

3: Green

4-5: (Olynyk, Bass

Sullinger, Humphries, Faverani)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Re: Let Marshon Brooks man the point

Forgot to mention, it seems clear that Marshon's minutes, confidence and opportunities were diminished greatly when the Nets brought in Joe Johnson. Brooks was lighting it up but they still went out and really spent to bring in Joe...

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Just give the kid a chance. I think its worth the risk. His size as a combo guard would complement Averys tenacity. Green will be a point-forward and initiate some sets (in transition as much as possible). If it fails, it just gets us closer to Wiggins, Parker, Randle, Smart, Exum ...

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

You have Humphries and Sully in there to grab rebounds or Olynyk & Faverani to stretch out defenses.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from romneywins. Show romneywins's posts

Brooks may not be a point and I doubt he is.  I know Bradley is not a point, unless he has retooled someway.  We do need a point, Pressey may be a diamond in the rough, but he a appears to have a size issue.  If Danny was serious about winning this year he would get a serviceable vet point for us now.  We have a good near all star base of Rondo, Green, and KO.  During this year we need to develop or trade for a all star 2 and a defensive center.  Add them to our base and we can compete next year (2014).   We may or may not get a good player in the next draft, but we do have three good near all star type players right now to build with.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

My main point in this was that the Nets really killed Brooks' growth as a 2 guard. He was showing flashes during that 11-12 year, and bringing in Joe Johnson really hurt his game.

Since we are out a real PG for two months, I think this is the perfect opportunity to start Brooks with Bradley. Call AB the PG if you want, but they can share duties.

I think if anyone on this team deserves big minutes its Brooks. If he can turn into (at the very least) a Lance Stephenson type or really ideally a (very) poor mans Harden/Kobe ... 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

Brooks and Presey until Rondo comes back.

Then Brooks and Rondo with Olynk, Green, and whoever.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Another point of distinction that I want to make ...

"We need a pure point guard, as was evident during the post season series against NYK"

This is a true statement, but note the qualifier: [during the post season]. The playoffs is when things slow down, defenses become stronger and posessions are more valuable as teams fight for their lives. In that NYK series, we suffered without Rondo as a true PG to take care of the ball, distribute and manage the game. However, I'll be the first to admit that without Rondo (a true PG) in the regular season our team kind of ran fluidly with lots of ball movement and different points of attack.

So why not roll with two combo guards (Bradley & Brooks) and have Pressey get used to coming off the bench along with Courtney Lee?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

I see brooks as a wing player.  I dont remember him ever operating from the top like a point.  I always remember him setting up on the side of the floor (usually the left side) and then getting the ball.  But hey, limited sample size as they say.

As I've said ad nauseum, I think it's more natural for crawford to bring the ball from the middle and go hard to the hoop, and brooks more natural filling the wing.  I know nobody likes crawford...don't bother to tell me.  But we'll see.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Cole watch his highlights. Given, they are highlights, but you can see that his biggest games come when he initiates the offense with driblle moves, P&R with Hump, getting to the basket or taking a spot up jumper.

Seems to me he could be sort of like a shoot first combo guard. He can distribute, not like Rondo, but well enough. Seems to me he is better in the pick and roll than Bradley would be. And he's got size, which is something we need in the backcourt. Sure, he could play as a wing player, but I think he can have some huge games in a starting 2 spot. Big games = interest = value. To me there is a shortage of impact 2 guards in this league. You can see what Joe Johnson got paid a few years back. Seems to me that Marshon has similar skillsets to Joe offensively and working with AB & Stevens for a year can help improve his defense.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBigTicket05. Show TheBigTicket05's posts

Lee and Bradley might share the ball at the point, Brooks will be our sixth man

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

I thought fav was supposed to be more physical on the d end.

Its hard to think they would go out and sign a guy at 3mil that they didnt expect to play.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

Told you guys Stevens would not use Brooks as a PG.

Here:

Jay King @ByJayKing

The way Stevens has been talking, expect Avery Bradley as opening night starting point guard.

9:13 PM - 26 Sep 2013

Too early at this point  to know everything Stevens will try. We have seen AB play point, not good.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

All he has to do is get the ball up the court and into the hands of the wing player for an entry pass to the post (if the wing is lee) or for a triple threat situation (if the wing is brooks).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Brooks is not a point guard.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

I watched the first five possessions on the first video. I think they illustrate my point perfectly.  Brooks works from the wing position, not from the top. He needs the ball in the triple threat position, not bouncing it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Obviously Brooks isn't a traditional PG. I just think Stevens could architect a system that utilizes two combo guards (Bradley & Brooks) to initiate the offense, especially if it is designed to be fast paced and attack in transition.

Whatever. I may be wrong. Avery did poorly because he was forced to play Rondo in Doc's system. If you think about Avery applying full court pressure with the desired outcome a turnover, its very unrealistic to have Avery run that fast break as well. The Kid's gotta breath. Let Avery attack on defense and Brooks & Green attack in transition. Have Hump & Sully trail the fast break for rebounds and then let Avery trot back down the court to his spot in the corner three for a kickout. Then repeat.

By the way, the limited video on Fav shows he is totally the stetch-5 euro player type and is not a physical banger and help defender. He is NOT KG.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

In response to R9R's comment:

Obviously Brooks isn't a traditional PG. I just think Stevens could architect a system that utilizes two combo guards (Bradley & Brooks) to initiate the offense, especially if it is designed to be fast paced and attack in transition.

Whatever. I may be wrong. Avery did poorly because he was forced to play Rondo in Doc's system. If you think about Avery applying full court pressure with the desired outcome a turnover, its very unrealistic to have Avery run that fast break as well. The Kid's gotta breath. Let Avery attack on defense and Brooks & Green attack in transition. Have Hump & Sully trail the fast break for rebounds and then let Avery trot back down the court to his spot in the corner three for a kickout. Then repeat.

By the way, the limited video on Fav shows he is totally the stetch-5 euro player type and is not a physical banger and help defender. He is NOT KG.

Dude, are you on crack?  NO NBA coach would contemplate implementing a system of two SGs at the point.  Can you spell disaster?  And there is 0 chance,  zilch. none. nada.  that Brooks will play even one second at the point.  Bradley, Pressey then possibly Crawford and Lee (who have some experience) in desparate situations before Brooks.

and also your perspective of Fav is absolutely WRONG.  He is most effecive at the rim and is absolutely a banger underneath, hence his nickname "el hombre indestructable". He will be camped in the middle and primarily used for pick and rolls on offense.  

You continuous string of incredulous opinions are one thing.  Inaccurate facts is quite another.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to OneOnOne's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Told you guys Stevens would not use Brooks as a PG.

Here:

Jay King @ByJayKing

The way Stevens has been talking, expect Avery Bradley as opening night starting point guard.

9:13 PM - 26 Sep 2013

Too early at this point  to know everything Stevens will try. We have seen AB play point, not good.

[/QUOTE]

One thing's for sure, Marshon Brooks is NOT a PG.

[/QUOTE]

He would be a good combo guard to pair with Avery. He has the length to apply help pressure like Rondo and get steals. His scoring can take some of the pressure off of Avery. He can bring the ball down the court and initiate the offense 1/3 of the time further relieving Avery to do what he does best: on-ball-defend, create turnovers, catch&shoot corner 3's, and cut to the rim.

Sections
Shortcuts