Let's grade Danny

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Re: Let's grade Danny

In Response to Re: Let's grade Danny:
    To win a championship, it's always a mix of trades, draft and free agency.  No one avenue will win you a championship.  Memories are fond to look back on but what keeps a fan going is the promise of the future.  I like how our future looks.
    Posted by red2004sox

Red, 

We need to let the little Laker Troll live in his tiny fantasy world where he can look out of his baby crib and think he may know something about basketball and that he is superior to everyone. He's clearly a clown. My dog knows more about basketball in the NBA than he does. 

Hetch 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

In Response to Let's grade Danny:
    Well this is it!! We full filled our roster sooner than expected. Let's start with the KG signing..Too much money I think. Let's continue with Green..Too much money I think. The Allen issue was worked very well in my opinion, and the replacements(Terry and Lee) were positive moves too. The consequence of giving too much money to KG and Green was the eventual loss of Stiemsma(Who was our only shot blocker besides KG). Right now Wilcox doesn't convince me in the back up role at center. Too small in my opinion. Nazr Mohammed was a better fit in that case if you ask. I was expecting Danny to try to resolve our primary problem last year..REBOUNDING! I was almost sure that Danny's main target was Javalee McGee by offering him the same money that Danny gave to KG but with a few years more and after him KG with less money and then sacrifice Bass and Green. x x x
    Posted by franquazi
    Danny Ainge has done a commendable job of building the team for next season. I do agree with you though that KG could have been signed for less. DA was so concerned (by his own admission) of disrespecting KG by making a lowball offer for the latter to return. Why didn't he just talk to KG and ask him if he would return for less, rather than just second-guess him? IMO, KG has earned so much already in his career that #18 and not money was the primary motive for his return. I'm almost certain that KG would be willing to take a bigger discount (just like Tim Duncan has) if DA had asked and told him that the savings would enable the team to acquire better talent. Being the consummate team man, KG would likely agree to a contract similar to Duncan's ($ 30.05M over 3 years). As far as Jeff Green is concerned, I personally would have offered him less money, but that's me. DA is the GM and only time will tell whether he will receive flak or accolades for this gamble. Lastly, McGee = knucklehead

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bt33. Show bt33's posts

Given the fact that Boston is not a destination big time free agents in their prime will consider, and given thir draft position, I'd say Ainge did a solid job. B-plus. If we'd been able to retain Stiemsma and maybe Pietrus or sign their equivalents more like an A-, but that's life with the cap. Retaining Bass and KG was essential. He drafted a couple of bigs who at least have a shot at contributing. Brought back Wilcox. Terry was huge because of Allen departing (think AInge knew Ray was gone no matter what). Lee was the big move. Excellent, creative, and much needed. The Green siging was probably necessary, though it seems like a bit of a stretch considering his health and performance (albeit in a limited sample size) in year one. Only time will tell, but on the surface the guys is making 2 or 3 million per than he would appear to be worth. 

G Rondo, Terry, Lee, Dooling, Bradley

F Pierce, Bass, Green, Wilcox, Sullinger  

C KG, (wilcox), Collins, Melo

Joseph, Christmas, Smith

If Bradley is hurt to start I'd say Joseph makes the roster. Otherwise, Joseph probably starts in the D league. Same could be true of Melo. Don't see Christmas or Smith on the 12 man roster, but either or both could see D-league time and be available for injury replacements. At some point the acquisition of an additional quality big will likely be necessary, though the emergence of Sullinger and/or Melo, or both, could make this move unecessary. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

A for Ainge.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from franquazi. Show franquazi's posts

In response to franquazi's comment:

Well this is it!! We full filled our roster sooner than expected. Let's start with the KG signing..Too much money I think. Let's continue with Green..Too much money I think. The Allen issue was worked very well in my opinion, and the replacements(Terry and Lee) were positive moves too. The consequence of giving too much money to KG and Green was the eventual loss of Stiemsma(Who was our only shot blocker besides KG). Right now Wilcox doesn't convince me in the back up role at center. Too small in my opinion. Nazr Mohammed was a better fit in that case if you ask. I was expecting Danny to try to resolve our primary problem last year..REBOUNDING! I was almost sure that Danny's main target was Javalee McGee by offering him the same money that Danny gave to KG but with a few years more and after him KG with less money and then sacrifice Bass and Green. Instead of Melo in my opinion Perry Jones III was a better pick after Sullinger. I'm not sure but..I think this was financially accurate. Tell me your opinion please.

McGee
    Garnett
    Pierce
    Lee
    Rondo

Stiemsma
    Sullinger/Wilcox
    Jones III/Joseph
    Terry/Bradley
    Dooling

Who gives Danny an A now??

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Well this is it!! We full filled our roster sooner than expected. Let's start with the KG signing..Too much money I think. Let's continue with Green..Too much money I think. The Allen issue was worked very well in my opinion, and the replacements(Terry and Lee) were positive moves too. The consequence of giving too much money to KG and Green was the eventual loss of Stiemsma(Who was our only shot blocker besides KG). Right now Wilcox doesn't convince me in the back up role at center. Too small in my opinion. Nazr Mohammed was a better fit in that case if you ask. I was expecting Danny to try to resolve our primary problem last year..REBOUNDING! I was almost sure that Danny's main target was Javalee McGee by offering him the same money that Danny gave to KG but with a few years more and after him KG with less money and then sacrifice Bass and Green. Instead of Melo in my opinion Perry Jones III was a better pick after Sullinger. I'm not sure but..I think this was financially accurate. Tell me your opinion please.

McGee
    Garnett
    Pierce
    Lee
    Rondo

Stiemsma
    Sullinger/Wilcox
    Jones III/Joseph
    Terry/Bradley
    Dooling

The only time I grade  Ainge is in June.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from franquazi. Show franquazi's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

McGee
    Garnett
    Pierce
    Lee
    Rondo

Stiemsma
    Sullinger/Wilcox
    Jones III/Joseph
    Terry/Bradley
    Dooling

The only time I grade  Ainge is in June.

In June is too late dude..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from franquazi. Show franquazi's posts

Re: Let's grade Danny ?

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:

Danny gets an "A" for Ainge!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from franquazi. Show franquazi's posts

In response to Fiercest34's comment:

In Response to Re: Give me your opinion..:

In Response to Re: Give me your opinion.. : I thought this was the year we were going to spent big time in free agents..I was expecting Ainge to offer McGee the max and then continue With KG. We need size in order to succeed..That's the key. Right now we're a smaller team and we can't expect KG to carry all the load again!! If the Nuggets matched then plan B was the option. I think Danny started with plan C.
    Posted by franquazi

Apparently Ainge doesn't think McGee is worth the max.   Usually size matters in basketball. But the Heat is the team to beat. If Bosh is the Center and Battier is the PF then KG and Green/Bass should be able to take advantage of the smaller Heat frontcourt.   The only problem is if we have to face the Lakers. That's where size really matters.   Many here are happy with what Ainge did. We may not have gotten that big man, but from 1 to 10 in the 10-man rotation, the Celts are rock solid!

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In response to jackbu's comment:

I think Danny is terrible.  He should have been signing stars at big money from the beginning because he is terrible at development.  Then he kept KG when he should not have.

Respectfully disagree with you about KG.  I think Danny is a "C" GM.  He's made one really great move with KG and Ray to create the big 3.  I think he hired the right coach in Doc and I think he made good moves in getting BBD, Rondo, and building young talent for trade currency.  But, on the flip side - really dumb moves counting on older players like Shaq and JON while getting rid of young bigs like Perk and Semih  then the next year getting no one.

KG is a great player and anchors a defense and shows up every night.  He may be cold one night or older, but no one tries harder and like last night with 24 pints and 12 rebounds, he shows up in tough times.  His blocked shots in the last few games have been better than years.  WIthout him, we are dead.   

Danny gets a C because his strategy was to go without size and I cannot forgive him for that.  Also, a little more respect for Ray and you get him cheap and he's better than Terry.  Danny let us lose TA and brought us Bass instead of BBD.  He gambles on all these moves and he lost.  So, he's a "C".

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In Response to Re: Give me your opinion.. : At least we got some trading chips and maybe we can lure someone at the trading dead line...GO CELTICS!!
    Posted by franquazi

If the right deal comes along then, yes.    But don't expect Bass and throw ins for Josh Smith because that's never going to happen.

Josh Smith is a horrible shooter.  We need to get a real scorer. Smith will never be that.  Green could actually be a better scorer.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In response to concord27's comment:

In Response to Re: Give me your opinion.. : At least we got some trading chips and maybe we can lure someone at the trading dead line...GO CELTICS!!
    Posted by franquazi

If the right deal comes along then, yes.    But don't expect Bass and throw ins for Josh Smith because that's never going to happen.

Josh Smith is a horrible shooter.  We need to get a real scorer. Smith will never be that.  Green could actually be a better scorer.

I'd rather have Will Smith than Josh Smith. You will never win anything with him on your team!!   Ainge grade D, only because i like him!!  Doc, just needs to go!!  I'm not even gonna grade him!

Sections
Shortcuts