Let's not forget what the Lakers did to us las years Finals...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Re: Let's not forget what the Lakers did to us las years Finals...

In Response to Re: Let's not forget what the Lakers did to us las years Finals...:
    In Response to Re: Let's not forget what the Lakers did to us las years Finals... : You guys bring up that score like it means something...one point or 50 points, it still only counts as ONE loss. We don't lose sleep over it. After the 1986 season, your C's had 16 NBA titles to the Lakers 9. But then, the C's became IRRELEVANT for 20+ years and the Lakers organization took full advantage to come within ONE title of tying that record. And the Lakers will not only tie that record, but surpass it as well. Why? Because the Celtics are headed right back to mediocrity...the the Lakers management will make the moves to keep them title contenders.
    Posted by Qdaddy

Such as?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MajicMVP. Show MajicMVP's posts

In Response to Re: Let's not forget what the Lakers did to us las years Finals...:
    In Response to Re: Let's not forget what the Lakers did to us las years Finals... : Nope, just remembering what I heard, what Magic said on TV, and what the bookies did.  Lakers were supposed to win in 2008, despite the C's having HCA.  That's the way I remember it.  It's like the Yankees.  ALWAYS the favorite, because they are the Yankees.  The Lakers now have that rep (deservedly so) that they can beat anyone.................thus the "shocker" in 2008.  Celtics won, deserved to win, and left no doubt who the better team was.  Lakers did it the next two years!  Lakers had more heart and guts in 2010.  DAL and MIA had more in 2011.........very simple!
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11

That's not the way I remember it. The Celtics had HCA in 2008, swept the Lakers during the regular season. So you care to show us some evidence that the Lakers were favorites?

Just "I remember Magic said it"  or "I remember the bookies said it" doesn't cut it.

If you can "remember" something to favor your fabricated argument, I can also "remember" something  to favor my real argument.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from koberulz. Show koberulz's posts

Dont hold your breath MajicMVP.

Red-Russ also thinks that I am RicoCeltic when I am clearly a Laker fan. Laughing

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MajicMVP. Show MajicMVP's posts

In Response to Re: Let's not forget what the Lakers did to us las years Finals... : Are you missing part of your brain? You didn't know KG led the Celts in scoring in the 2008 playoffs then missed the entire 2009 playoffs?  17-48 and 16-47 is not a tie because 17-48 = .354 and 16-47 = .340. It's simple math, I wonder why you can't figure that out for yourself? The LA Lakers only have 11 championships while the Minneapolis Lakers won the other 5 championships. And no matter how you want to count it, you're still one short of 17. HAHAHA!!!
    Posted by Fiercest34

Are you missing your brain too? Don't you realize injury is part of the game? or don't you realize Bynum was out for the entire playoffs in 2008?

No matter how you want to count it, the Celtics still failed one more times than the Lakers. That's why 17-68 and 16-47 are ties. Just look at how they do it in baseball standings. You know you can't refute facts, whether you like to admit it or not.

And why does it become the LA Lakers now? Look at the title of this thread. It's "what the Lakers did to us", not "what the LA Lakers did to us"...

And don't forget 10-4 since the golden era of the NBA. How are you going to refute that? Maybe you think 10-22 and 4-28 are ties too...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MajicMVP. Show MajicMVP's posts

In Response to Re: Let's not forget what the Lakers did to us las years Finals... : Like the Celtic fans here would say Kobe is the greatest or the Lakers are the best. Get real, this is a Celtics forum. Of course people here would say the Celtics are the greatest. You must be missing parts of your brain if you think this forum is for NBA fans and not Celtic fans.  No matter how you spin it, the Celtics got beat by a younger and more athletic Miami Heat team. The Lakers have no excuse for losing to the Mavs 4-0. Or did the Lakers just quit after losing Game 1?
    Posted by Fiercest34

Well, if the Celtics are the greatest then the 4-1 demolition by LeChoke is a bigger shame than getting swept by the champs. Afterall, he's one that wilts under pressure, but the Celtics still couldn't do anything to him...

Too d*mn shame that the Heat aren't really that great, but you should enjoy your moral victory. A 4-1 demolition is cause for celebration...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In Response to Re: Let's not forget what the Lakers did to us las years Finals... : I didn't know one could get a degree in playing mind games, Mr. RicoKyPud.
    Posted by kytroll

If this is your response to me, then don't bother responding to me!
    You got a lot of nerve accusing me of being any of those people!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MajicMVP. Show MajicMVP's posts

Maybe the Celtics just didn't want to bring the subject up.  Hard to win Championship #18 without your starting center.  Recall how the Lakers dominated thoroughly the boards without Perk.
    Posted by larry1717

Winning #18 should be a piece of cake. When your VP traded your "starting center" for Jeff Green and Kristic, he must have thought that they were better suit for a championship run than your "starting center".

So what happened to #18?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In Response to Re: Let's not forget what the Lakers did to us las years Finals... : That's not the way I remember it. The Celtics had HCA in 2008, swept the Lakers during the regular season. So you care to show us some evidence that the Lakers were favorites? Just "I remember Magic said it"  or "I remember the bookies said it" doesn't cut it. If you can "remember" something to favor your fabricated argument, I can also "remember" something  to favor my real argument.
    Posted by MajicMVP

Don't care what you think.   And I'm not going round and round with you on this or any other topic. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

The modern NBA started with the shot clock.....no one outside of LA disputes that...so in summary...

The Celtics have won all 17 of their titles in Boston during the modern era

The Lakers won 5 titles in another city in another time....as soon as the shot clock came in Mikan retired because he was too slow to play the new game.....the Lakers wouldn't win another title for many years...in fact they won only once in the next 25 years....so how convenient to decide that the modern NBA was borne of Magic/Bird...

The Celtics have an .809 winning percentage in the Finals....the Lakers have .516 percentage (and a .354 percentage during the modern era)

The Celtics have an overwhelming 9-3 record vs the Lakers.....a .750 percentage....I guess that leaves the Lakers with a .250 percentage

Some day the Lakers may equal or even exceed the number of championships currently held by the Celtics....but they will never overcome losing 9 out of 12 against the men in green & white!!

maybe Hollinger can come up with a new way to look at history....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Oh, almost forgot....Celtics lead the all time regular season matchup as well....and it isn't close!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from koberulz. Show koberulz's posts

Oh, almost forgot....Celtics lead the all time regular season matchup as well....and it isn't close!
    Posted by Duke4

The Celtics?  Are you referring to the same Celtics that have only 1 title in the past 25 years? I'm just sayin'

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

RicoCeltic   = koberulz

Just sayin'

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lakersavenger. Show lakersavenger's posts

The modern NBA started with the shot clock.....no one outside of LA disputes that...so in summary... The Celtics have won all 17 of their titles in Boston during the modern era The Lakers won 5 titles in another city in another time....as soon as the shot clock came in Mikan retired because he was too slow to play the new game.....the Lakers wouldn't win another title for many years...in fact they won only once in the next 25 years....so how convenient to decide that the modern NBA was borne of Magic/Bird... The Celtics have an .809 winning percentage in the Finals....the Lakers have .516 percentage (and a .354 percentage during the modern era) The Celtics have an overwhelming 9-3 record vs the Lakers.....a .750 percentage....I guess that leaves the Lakers with a .250 percentage Some day the Lakers may equal or even exceed the number of championships currently held by the Celtics....but they will never overcome losing 9 out of 12 against the men in green & white!! maybe Hollinger can come up with a new way to look at history....
    Posted by Duke4

That's like being beat up by a kid in middle school then 40 years later you bump into him to get your revenge but encounter him in a wheelchair after several strokes and he can't even remember who you are. Same thing with the Lakers, we can't get revenge if you can't even stand up almost every season. Then show up to to the big dance after a quarter of a century, beat us once, then get beat, then go into hibernation while the great Lakers just keep humming along. Such an insignificant stat, who really counts those things. Does anybody remember what your record was against other teams. They don't give special rings for that. So if in 22 years from now, after we are at 23 titles the cs come back and beat the Lakers to make it 18 to 23 and 10-3, that's important? and forget about the lost 22 years and 5 or 6 more Lakers titles? How sad.
    It's so sad to see old people living in the past. Your words are those of franchise in shambles who just happened to get real lucky in '08. And btw, that was 3 years ago, and counting. 19 more to go before you make a run.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

yes, that's exactly what I'm saying......hey, I am a Dodger diehard.....(also a huge BoSox fan).....I have followed the team for the last 50+ years....isn't it true that we haven't won for the last 22 years? .....that doesn't mean they aren't still my guys....lot's of great memories....18 WS appearances....just not lately!!! so.....?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from koberulz. Show koberulz's posts

Duke, the Dodgers do not have the great owner as the Lakers do.  Do you realize that on average, Jerry Buss gets the Lakers a championship every 3 years? That is pretty remarkable. Heck, the Celtics do not even get to the Finals every 3 years, much less win. Just sayin'

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MajicMVP. Show MajicMVP's posts

In Response to Re: Let's not forget what the Lakers did to us las years Finals... : http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2008/series?series=lalbos 9 out of 10 predicted the Lakers would beat the Celtics in 2008. And the Lakers were the underdogs? HAHAHA!!!
    Posted by Fiercest34

That's funny. When have you started to have respect on what the national "experts" said? Look no further than what your fellow posters said right before the finals.

MarkyMarky99 (6/2/2008): ENJOY THE SERIES ,, as I accurately predicted the PISTONS debacle, CELTICS in 5 , 6  if the zebras are involved.

jaysparks (6/2/2008): i think it will be Boston in 6...i think boston can and will win at least 1 in LA

jbfrwaltham (6/2/2008): Celtics in 5.

dsfboston (6/2/2008): I'm not sure why alot of people think LA has a better bench?? We will see...It might be over in 4 or we win it on the parquet in game 6.

vinceclamor (6/2/2008): Makes championship no. 17 for the celtics this year the sweetest of them all!!!!!!

skinnyboy (6/2/2008): I truly don't see the Lakers winning this, but we'll see.     

beatLA-2 (5/31/2008): Oct 2008 # 17 is pulled to the rafters by #17 himself HONDO!!!

domidom2525 (5/31/2008): The celtics will win in 6 because...

JoeMarlboro (5/31/2008): Celts in 6.

Ortizz (5/31/2008): yeah, celts is six sound good to me..

Now, granted, the Celtics fans in that era weren't as annoying as the ones now. I mean, 21 years of drought have really humbled you folks. But after just one championship in 22 years, every year has become a lock for your #18, whether you are just a 50-32 outfit that lucked into the finals, or a team trailing LeChoke 3-1 in a series...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MajicMVP. Show MajicMVP's posts

The modern NBA started with the shot clock.....no one outside of LA disputes that...so in summary... The Celtics have won all 17 of their titles in Boston during the modern era The Lakers won 5 titles in another city in another time....as soon as the shot clock came in Mikan retired because he was too slow to play the new game.....the Lakers wouldn't win another title for many years...in fact they won only once in the next 25 years....so how convenient to decide that the modern NBA was borne of Magic/Bird... The Celtics have an .809 winning percentage in the Finals....the Lakers have .516 percentage (and a .354 percentage during the modern era) The Celtics have an overwhelming 9-3 record vs the Lakers.....a .750 percentage....I guess that leaves the Lakers with a .250 percentage Some day the Lakers may equal or even exceed the number of championships currently held by the Celtics....but they will never overcome losing 9 out of 12 against the men in green & white!! maybe Hollinger can come up with a new way to look at history....
    Posted by Duke4

Duke, you may want to take your own advice: find a new way to look at history. Just repeating this stuff again and again doesn't make it true.

Besides that Aussie gal, who's supporting your notion that the modern NBA started with the shot clock? On the other hand, there are numerous references on when the modern NBA started. It's left for you as an exercise...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MajicMVP. Show MajicMVP's posts

Posted by Duke4

Now the Celtics have to resort to regular season results too? Umm... I think the regular season means nothing when you brag about 17...

BTW, which team has the best regular season record? when you have the inferior record, you always have to rely on the Head2Head...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from koberulz. Show koberulz's posts

In Response to Re: Let's not forget what the Lakers did to us las years Finals... : Now the Celtics have to resort to regular season results too? Umm... I think the regular season means nothing when you brag about 17... BTW, which team has the best regular season record? when you have the inferior record, you always have to rely on the Head2Head...
    Posted by MajicMVP

Duke is a hypocrite. Laughing 

Ask Duke about the head to head matchups between Wilt and Russell.

Wilt:29 points, 29 rebounds
    Russell: 14 points, 23 rebounds

Duke will give you some story about how Russell would wear him down with his great defense, but those stats don't lie.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Modern NBA started with the shot clock.

Hypocrite - a person who indulges in behavior he condemns for others.  A person who professes certain ideals but fails to live up to them.

Celtics fan - Red is the best of all time
    Lakers fan - PJ is the best of all time - he has the most rings

Celtics fan - Russ is the best of all time, he has the most rings
    Lakers fan - Wilt dominated him head to head, Wilt is the best!

round and round the laker hypocrisy nation goes!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

so Laker fans love to talk about the Celtic's "draught" while Celtic fans like to talk about Boston's total dominance over 50 years....and even with the draught....your team still hasn't caught up?.....maybe having a record around .500 all those years has taken it's toll......and now your beloved Kobe begins his 16th season...it's all starting to slip away boys....and hey, I remember when I was in my teens....Celtics were dominating in a way the Lakers have never been able to accomplish...living in the past? ....nah....enjoying the total body of work......

...oh, and the point about regular season wins head to head? .......the most regular season wins all time was one of Hollinger's biggest points when he wrote why he thought the Lakers were a better franchise....an article that was posted on this forum and had Laker fans here in droves....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RicoLakerfan. Show RicoLakerfan's posts

Celtics own the Lakers. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from koberulz. Show koberulz's posts

Red-Russ, how many games did PJ coach against Red? So what else can you go by other than rings which is considered the biggest success. It is like you comparing Worthy and Karl Malone the other day when they dont even play the same position. You cant compare the 2 because they did NEVER went head to head. Wilt and Russell played 142 games against each other, SAME POSITION - Wilt dominated Russell at the position of center. The Celtics team dominated Wilt's teams on the scoreboards. Now hopefully, that clears up any confusion that you may have had. It is really quite simple if you pay attention.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Red-Russ, how many games did PJ coach against Red? So what else can you go by other than rings which is considered the biggest success. It is like you comparing Worthy and Karl Malone the other day when they dont even play the same position. You cant compare the 2 because they did NEVER went head to head. Wilt and Russell played 142 games against each other, SAME POSITION - Wilt dominated Russell at the position of center. The Celtics team dominated Wilt's teams on the scoreboards. Now hopefully, that clears up any confusion that you may have had. It is really quite simple if you pay attention.
    Posted by koberulz

Exactly, and since Wilt only cared about stats, and Russ only cared about winning, they both got what they wanted out of it.  Simple, really, if you know anything at all about basketball.

And forgive me, a Celtics fan, with confusing the positions of 6'9' 220 lb AC Green and 6'9" 225 lb James Worthy.  And I had him at #4 all-time of PF's.  Well, too bad, he now goes to #5 all time at the 3 behind Bird, Erving, Pippen and Havlicek!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from koberulz. Show koberulz's posts

Red-Russ, Please refer to me to a link that stated these things that you mentioned about Wilt and Russell? Something besides past Duke comments would suffice. Thank you.

Oh no, your opinion rating of Worthy is now skewed and he dropped a spot in your mind? I am so regretful of ever bringing up true player postions now.  Laughing

Sections
Shortcuts