Let's not over-react

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

Let's not over-react

C'mon guys.

Did last night's loss suck?  Yes.  Did it negate all the progress we've seen the team make in the last 2 weeks?  No.  Do losses like this happen?  Yes.  To every team.  You get cocky, or overconfident, or inattentive, or count on the ref to make a call -- and you get your lunch handed to you.  You learn from it asnd move on.

How many people here jump off tall buildings if they get out of bed in the morning and trip on the cat?

As I've said before, let's wait until at least a third of the season is over -- and then see what we've got before we decide we have to blow up the team.  :-)

cheers --

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Re: Let's not over-react

In Response to Let's not over-react:
    [QUOTE]C'mon guys. Did last night's loss suck?  Yes.  Did it negate all the progress we've seen the team make in the last 2 weeks?  No.  Do losses like this happen?  Yes.  To every team.  You get cocky, or overconfident, or inattentive, or count on the ref to make a call -- and you get your lunch handed to you.  You learn from it asnd move on. How many people here jump off tall buildings if they get out of bed in the morning and trip on the cat? As I've said before, let's wait until at least a third of the season is over -- and then see what we've got before we decide we have to blow up the team.  :-) cheers --
    Posted by Number6Fan[/QUOTE]
    I don't think anyone is overreacting.  Losses like this are not supposed to happen to the good teams, AT HOME.  If you attribute last night to getting cocky, or overconfident or inattentive, to what would you attribute the wins against Orlando and Indiana?  We can't have it both ways.  We can't be Eastern Conference contenders because we beat a "struggling" Orlando team and Indiana but then we're all of the descriptors you use when we lose.

We had so much energy in the previous 4 games but last night there was none of that.  I'm not blaming that on RA but it seemed to me we were a different team with Pietrus getting the bulk of the minutes.

I think you are right that this team is still developing its identity but Doc has to make some decisions on players.  I am not so sure we need to have the "best 3-pointer shooter in the history of the NBA" getting the bulk of the SG minutes if he cannot contribute in any other way.

I cannot wait to see how we respond tomorrow in Cleveland.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Indiansbacker. Show Indiansbacker's posts

In Response to Re: Let's not over-react:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Let's not over-react : I don't think anyone is overreacting.  Losses like this are not supposed to happen to the good teams, AT HOME.  If you attribute last night to getting cocky, or overconfident or inattentive, to what would you attribute the wins against Orlando and Indiana?  We can't have it both ways.  We can't be Eastern Conference contenders because we beat a "struggling" Orlando team and Indiana but then we're all of the descriptors you use when we lose. We had so much energy in the previous 4 games but last night there was none of that.  I'm not blaming that on RA but it seemed to me we were a different team with Pietrus getting the bulk of the minutes. I think you are right that this team is still developing its identity but Doc has to make some decisions on players.  I am not so sure we need to have the "best 3-pointer shooter in the history of the NBA" getting the bulk of the SG minutes if he cannot contribute in any other way. I cannot wait to see how we respond tomorrow in Cleveland.
    Posted by Petey62[/QUOTE]

Of course, I see a SWEEP at the "Q"!  Lovin' it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from walk2run. Show walk2run's posts

Well I'm blaming RA....if he is not knocking down shots he is pretty much useless on the defensive end which is what I like about Pietrus. He plays D. The perfect scenario would have been to keep the staus quo until they lost (bring Ray off the bench until then). We all counted last night as a win....not over-reacting just want Ws!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Let's not over-react : I don't think anyone is overreacting.  Losses like this are not supposed to happen to the good teams, AT HOME.  If you attribute last night to getting cocky, or overconfident or inattentive, to what would you attribute the wins against Orlando and Indiana?  We can't have it both ways.  We can't be Eastern Conference contenders because we beat a "struggling" Orlando team and Indiana but then we're all of the descriptors you use when we lose. We had so much energy in the previous 4 games but last night there was none of that.  I'm not blaming that on RA but it seemed to me we were a different team with Pietrus getting the bulk of the minutes. I think you are right that this team is still developing its identity but Doc has to make some decisions on players.  I am not so sure we need to have the "best 3-pointer shooter in the history of the NBA" getting the bulk of the SG minutes if he cannot contribute in any other way. I cannot wait to see how we respond tomorrow in Cleveland.

Petey, were you able to see the game last night?  Do you think Ray did nothing but shoot and did not contribute any passes nor rebounds and only poor D last night?   I know you are a rational guy so I'm honestly looking for your opinion.  I'm not asking about history or reputation.  I'm just asking about your view of Ray's play last night.

What are your views on this question, Petey?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

Over react,is putting it mildly. I think 2 or 3 so called Celtics fans, may commit suicide!!  Ray played better then any other Celtic last night, i believe he was player of the game for the C's, if i'm not mistaken.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrJohnnyMost. Show MrJohnnyMost's posts

Too many vets and the game is a job. They're on cruise control. Sure, they're talented and accomplished... but who gets the loose ball.

We need some snarling dogs in there, fighting for scraps. We had that the past week. It's business as usual now.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

The 'snarling dogs' have their issues, too.  We all are excited about the second Orlando win (at least I am).  But, I have not forgotten that we were down by 27 points and if Orlando had even a tiny whiff of guts, we would have lost that game easily.  Our come back was not all about Celtics, it was equally or more so about Orlando's lack of heart.  So, how did we get down by 27 to those guys?

I don't think anyone on the Celtics is playing consistently good ball at this point.  Its not just one or two players - its all of them.  But, collectively, they've improved and are playing better.  I still have hope that they'll give us some exciting playoff wins and surprises.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Let's not over-react : Petey, were you able to see the game last night?  Do you think Ray did nothing but shoot and did not contribute any passes nor rebounds and only poor D last night?   I know you are a rational guy so I'm honestly looking for your opinion.  I'm not asking about history or reputation.  I'm just asking about your view of Ray's play last night. What are your views on this question, Petey?
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]
    Ray shot the ball great but I don't equate adding 3 rebounds and 3 assists in 36 minutes as being the type of contribution that should have kept Pietrus on the bench for all but 15 minutes.

However, Cleveland closed on a 12 - 0 run to win the game and that was, by no means, Ray's fault.  KG choked on one rebound and travelled and then travelled on another occasion.  We got no stops down the stretch and that was why we lost.  It wasn't all on Ray.  It was on everyone.

I believe we have 3 very capable wing players in Ray, PP and Pietrus and one of them should not be given just 15 minutes in any game.  Between the SG and SF positions, you have 96 minutes that can be divided by 32 minutes each (obviously you will run Dooling and possibly Moore there too).  My point is Pietrus should be playing more than 15 minutes. What Pietrus brings "overall" is an element that Ray cannot bring (energy, toughness, rebounding, defense).

There is no way Marquis inbounds the ball on the final inbounds play.  If Pietrus is in, the Cavs would not be able to double PP and leave the inbound guy.  Doc made some questionable substitutions.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

[QUOTE]The 'snarling dogs' have their issues, too.  We all are excited about the second Orlando win (at least I am).  But, I have not forgotten that we were down by 27 points and if Orlando had even a tiny whiff of guts, we would have lost that game easily.  Our come back was not all about Celtics, it was equally or more so about Orlando's lack of heart.  So, how did we get down by 27 to those guys? I don't think anyone on the Celtics is playing consistently good ball at this point.  Its not just one or two players - its all of them.  But, collectively, they've improved and are playing better.  I still have hope that they'll give us some exciting playoff wins and surprises.  
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]
    Celtsfan, you make a good observation.  One that I thought about too.  We were getting "housed" by Orlando in the first half and DH was in foul trouble.  I am not so sure we played such a great 2nd half as much as Orlando just quit playing.  And that 2nd half Orlando collapse makes our win last Monday even less legitimate when you see how bad they have been playing.  They are playing like the Wizards.

And you can say Indiana took US lightly since they previously beat us twice handily.  So, maybe our little winning streak just might not end up being the start of our climb back to relevance this season.

This team doesn't seem to follow a consistent script.  I'd mention injuries but we should be a young Cleveland team at home with the players who suited up last night.  Just like we should NOT beat an Orlando team or an Indiana team without those same players.  Something is not right here.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Let's not over-react : Ray shot the ball great but I don't equate adding 3 rebounds and 3 assists in 36 minutes as being the type of contribution that should have kept Pietrus on the bench for all but 15 minutes. However, Cleveland closed on a 12 - 0 run to win the game and that was, by no means, Ray's fault.  KG choked on one rebound and travelled and then travelled on another occasion.  We got no stops down the stretch and that was why we lost.  It wasn't all on Ray.  It was on everyone. I believe we have 3 very capable wing players in Ray, PP and Pietrus and one of them should not be given just 15 minutes in any game.  Between the SG and SF positions, you have 96 minutes that can be divided by 32 minutes each (obviously you will run Dooling and possibly Moore there too).  My point is Pietrus should be playing more than 15 minutes. What Pietrus brings "overall" is an element that Ray cannot bring (energy, toughness, rebounding, defense). There is no way Marquis inbounds the ball on the final inbounds play.  If Pietrus is in, the Cavs would not be able to double PP and leave the inbound guy.  Doc made some questionable substitutions.

As usual, very balanced, very objective.  Thanks for the excellent response to my question.

Talk to you tomorrow night when we come back and beat those guys!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

By the way, I don't think 3 rebounds and 3 assists were enough, but I did like the ball movement.  A couple of passes by Ray scared me and made me go "oh no" but he completed them.   They didn't always end up in buckets but they were open shots for another teammate or kept the ball moving until another shot was available.  That's something Garnett also does well and Paul doesn't always do.  The ball can get "stuck" with Paul (and ALWAYS gets "stuck" with Marquis).   I did like Ray's energy in driving to the hoop and while he missed one layup, he had several others completed, including one with some twists and turns.  

I like your idea of better splitting the minutes since Pietrus can play both the 2 and the 3 spot.   That should get him on the floor more and we can use his defensive skills.  Ray's minutes can be curtailed, as well, and that brings a better balance.

I do like the fact that even in tough games, Doc is holding to his promise to play KG in spurts. Every game, he's come out after 5 to 6 minutes of play and back in after 5 minutes of sitting out.  Its kept his minutes under control.

In the end, we all criticize Rondo (at least I know that I do), but we miss him badly.  He would make a huge difference getting some easy buckets.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Celtsfan, thanks alot.  You know what, sometimes/oftentimes I HATE the Celtics ball movement (excessive ball movement).  Oftentimes we try to make the extra pass instead of going up with the ball.  It looks like Bass is a gunner because he shoots when he's open.  If Ray was open as much as Bass was and took the shot, he'd average 30 a game.  Yesterday, on more than a couple occasions PP had Bass cutting to the hoop unguarded but he whipped the ball around the perimeter.  We make the extra pass even if it isn't the "best" extra pass.

KG does the same thing.  KG even makes passes before looking at his target.  A couple games ago, Pierce is waltzing down the court and KG receives a pass near the top of the key.  Without even looking at Pierce, KG launches a pass toward Pierce and it flies straight out of bounds almost "clonking" him in the head.  Pierce wasn't even looking for the pass.  KG treats the ball like a hot potato.

Doc preaches making the extra pass so much that I believe we often pass it too much.  And that causes way too many turnovers.  We commit too many unforced turnovers by not executing simple passes.  We don't throw too many balls out of bounds nor do we get straight out stipped of the ball.  Most of our turnovers are from "stupid" pass attempts.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Petey,

I agree that our turnovers are most often from stupid passes.  But, that's the tradeoff we have for getting such good shots.  There's a reason why the Celtics are the most efficient offense in the league over the last 5 years.  They are always Top 3 or 4 in FG% and we win because we slow it down and score a high percentage of the time.   Even with the horrible start, we are 8th in FG% and 1st in 3pt %.  Its not just Ray's shooting percentage, its the whole team.  

We're also very high in assists and its not just Rondo, its total team passing.  I actually like our offensive system when we move the ball.

That said....I do think we can keep the ball moving and still eliminate some TO's (especially Paul).  No doubt.   But, since we don't have players who can create their own shot, we need to create easy shots.   If we took quicker shots, I think we lose even more because we won't get the O-reb and the other team fast breaks even more.  

So, extra passes that create high percentage shots are good for this team, imo, even if there are some extra turnovers that come with it.  In many ways, we (and the Spurs) play a lot of "old school" basketball.   Its not highlight reel stuff, but its been effective for us until this year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

Actually, on this board, it's more fun to overreact.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

Very bad night,  Paul was a turnover machine, KG walked twice at important times, Doc went brain dead and let Pietrus sit tooo much.  We are just beter with Paul and Pietrus playing together.  Bradley is not ready and will not be for a year or two.  We need to pick up a point soooo bad.  Mike James????

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

Posters were crying for Doc to play the  bench...he plays the bench and because they lost..Its Rays fault...and Doc is a lousy coach..Did we expect these young players to play at a high level every game...don't you think this will happen as the team learns to gel and get comfortabl..Doc said he has to dumb down the offense in order to keep these guys out there. not to mention the defensive mental lapses they pose.The other teams do scout teams once in a while..don't they??

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

Actually, Doc said he played his bench too long..because they had been playing well...

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

and were playing three rookies,( bradley), Moore, and Steemer, not t mention new players in the rotation, come to think of it , how many new rotations have the Celts hd to play because of injuries. When Rondo, comes back, they might lose a couple of games too..either way, Ray may be traid bait...