Lets observe Rondo

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

Re: Lets observe Rondo

oh..also his on-ball defense.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

You know considering Pud is always on Rondo for his lack of timely shooting I have to say if he could incrementally increase and improve his shooting it would take him and this team to another level.  Shoot Rondo shoot.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

The team is 30-9 and folks are killing Rondo.  Is this a CELTICS board.  Why is there so much scrutiny on him?  What should the team's record be if he took more shots and was a little more selfish?  What specific game or games did he lose for us based on his pass first, poor shooting, bad free throws, etc.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Jdm,
    I am a principle Rondo defender.  I want him to shoot more. This is a BB where the Celtics are discussed and people express their concerns about the team. You do it all the time.  The scrutiny comes from his brilliance slightly mitigated by the one flaw in his game. If he improves this flaw we win this year and probably next year.   That's what we all want.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

people bash him bc hes not great at EVERY stat in basketball..although no point guard is..they all think that everyone is an upgrade so they frown on him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

if im not wrong it was 18 pts..13 assists, and 6 rebounds..quietly. on the ball defense was average in the first half..getting over screens was a slight problem..stepped it up in the second half. shot was on..i believe he missed two jumpers..or somthin like that..please correct me if im wrong..didnt pass up shots tonight..and was good driving to the basket..did dish out a couple times but they were to wide open shooters. i think he had a very efficient game tonight.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneNation. Show OneNation's posts

His game last night was better than very efficient.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Rondo is DJ all over again. He takes and makes shots you don't expect him to make. His jumper looked good last night.

I may be nitpicking here but on breaks I wish Rondo would just go instead of slowing down looking to pass. His speed is going to make defenders either foul or cover the lane to stop the layup and then it opens up secondary fast break points, open 3s for the guys on the wing. When he slows down it give everyone even the defense time to find a man and get back.

Keep the pressure on the defense with your speed. Know when to turn it on and know when to slow it down. He's spending more time looking around instead of using his speed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneNation. Show OneNation's posts

Its not nitpicking its a good point. However, there are times when the game needs to be slowed. I thought Rondo controled the tempo great against Charlotte.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In Response to Lets observe Rondo:
    I think the best way to put an end to this debate we have on Rondo is to watch him over a period of 3 games (just for a good basis to go by) and judge how he does. judge whether hes shooting, whether hes making the shots, whether hes driving, whether or not the defense is guarding him or "leaving him alone"  as some people seem to think happens. this is a good way to judge how hes doing, although its only a small sample. ill start with Charlotte.
    Posted by JamezHill24

Some of us have been observing Rondo for going on 5 years.

Do you really think 3 games is going to be telling us anything... either way?

Pud

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenkillme. Show greenkillme's posts

In Response to Re: Lets observe Rondo:
    Jdm, I am a principle Rondo defender.  I want him to shoot more. This is a BB where the Celtics are discussed and people express their concerns about the team. You do it all the time.  The scrutiny comes from his brilliance slightly mitigated by the one flaw in his game. If he improves this flaw we win this year and probably next year.   That's what we all want.
    Posted by concord27

What Puddinhead considers a flaw many others consider a virtue. It is a moot point since they are an outstanding team and are winners. Rondo is a winner. Rondo is a very good scorer.  If Rondo took more jump shots, and I think he shoots jump shots good enough to take as many as he wants, there is no one on here who can say with certainty that the team would win more games.

I think Rondo could score 25 a night if he wanted to. Honestly. But would it improve the team? Not on your life.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenkillme. Show greenkillme's posts

This discussion is about a very few people who believe that a point guard has to shoot jump shots to be a complete point guard. This is because most point guards in the league over the last few decades have shot jump shots and it has become part of the game.

Are they right. Maybe but it also is true that Rondo can be inventing a better way to play point guard in the NBA. His success so far has been phenomenal and who are these posters to judge anyway. Yes they can have opinions but to me these opinions are like criticizing a Picasso because it doesn't look like the model.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondo9Fan. Show RajonRondo9Fan's posts

Stop bagging on Rondo they are 30-9.

He can score if he really wants too.
    He can Rebound
    He can Pass (I think we already know that)
    He can steal
    He can play defense

In the last three years we won a championship been to the NBA Finals twice, he can't be holding us that far back.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeezem. Show jeezem's posts

I'd like to see him sometimes just break out and keep shooting the 18 foot jump shot anytime he can get it.  I know that's not really his game, but the experience of doing it in a game would set him up for teams that just sag off him and dare him to shoot the shot in the playoffs.  I'd like to see him take that challenge even if he shoots 2-20.   

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

I'd like to see him sometimes just break out and keep shooting the 18 foot jump shot anytime he can get it.  I know that's not really his game, but the experience of doing it in a game would set him up for teams that just sag off him and dare him to shoot the shot in the playoffs.  I'd like to see him take that challenge even if he shoots 2-20.   
    Posted by jeezem

I think thats what most posters want.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

you say you observed him for 5 years but if you did then 1. you would clearly see the strides he has made since being in the league and 2. you would see the strides he has made with his jumpshot..that shot is becoming pretty consistent..whether you like to admit it or not. wens the last game he was throwing up brick after brick? thought so.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChiefEddie1028. Show ChiefEddie1028's posts

Amen To greenKillme and RajonRondo9Fan  

Time Will Only Tell

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

you say you observed him for 5 years but if you did then 1. you would clearly see the strides he has made since being in the league and 2. you would see the strides he has made with his jumpshot..that shot is becoming pretty consistent..whether you like to admit it or not. wens the last game he was throwing up brick after brick? thought so.
    Posted by JamezHill24

The defenses are still sagging and daring Rondo to shoot... the same as year one, year two, year three, year four... and now year five. 

Nothing has changed. They've made no adjustments.

Convince them that they need to honor his shot... not me! 

And good luck with that.

Pud

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

Posted by jeezem

I don't want Rondo taking that many shots.  Just like Doc doesnt want Baby taking more shots than the BIG 3.  The team would be out of sync if Rondo took that many shots.  We have folks who are designated to take that many and if Rondo is needed to score, he does and will.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lovetruth007. Show lovetruth007's posts

Rondo is Rondo. He is a better shooter now but shooting is still his weakness. He needs to get better on shooting to be more effective. His passing and penetrating skills are very helpful to the team. He is a better player every year but again he is NOT the best pg in NBA. Fans know that. He needs to shoot better to be the best.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

In Response to Re: Lets observe Rondo : The defenses are still sagging and daring Rondo to shoot... the same as year one, year two, year three, year four... and now year five.  Nothing has changed. They've made no adjustments. Convince them that they need to honor his shot ... not me!  And good luck with that. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin

actually, the last two games i havent seen that. i have seen people actually guarding rondo. the only time hes not guarded is off of picks and such. and even if they dont guard him..people leave ray allen open sometimes for no reason at all...wat does that mean?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

look i get that you dont think Rondo has a terrific jumpshot..bc he doesnt. but its respectable..and growing. it def DEF doesnt deserve the term "worst shooter in the league" and some of the other crap you throw around. ray isnt a great dribbler..no posts about getting someone else bc of that. kg is not great at steals..no posts aobut that. pierce isnt that great at rebounding, no posts about that. no player in this planet is excellent at EVERY stat we want them to be. to bash rondo bc of a average jumpshot is ridiculous. yes, hes not good at free throws. but hes barely at the line therefore he doesnt really hurt us in that sense. i hope he improves, but in the meantime, he is who he is and thats good enough for a ring.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenkillme. Show greenkillme's posts

In Response to Re: Lets observe Rondo : The defenses are still sagging and daring Rondo to shoot... the same as year one, year two, year three, year four... and now year five.  Nothing has changed. They've made no adjustments. Convince them that they need to honor his shot ... not me!  And good luck with that. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin

When defenses sag off Rondo...according to Heinsohn...it allows Rondo to make passes over the top to Shaq and KG. Think about it ...if he is played tightly it restricts his ability to pass the ball. Get jump shots...lose flexibility to pass. Shoot jump shot lose layups from his teammates. Shoot jump shots...tamper with something that is working very very well right now.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenkillme. Show greenkillme's posts

Posted by puddinpuddin

Yes and they sagged when Nate was at the point too. When they sag they also create lanes for passes and driving for Rondo and Pierce. I think the key to playing the Celtics is not sagging off Rondo. It is playing tough and making him give up the ball.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

look i get that you dont think Rondo has a terrific jumpshot..bc he doesnt. but its respectable..and growing. it def DEF doesnt deserve the term "worst shooter in the league" and some of the other crap you throw around. ray isnt a great dribbler..no posts about getting someone else bc of that. kg is not great at steals..no posts aobut that. pierce isnt that great at rebounding, no posts about that. no player in this planet is excellent at EVERY stat we want them to be. to bash rondo bc of a average jumpshot is ridiculous. yes, hes not good at free throws. but hes barely at the line therefore he doesnt really hurt us in that sense. i hope he improves, but in the meantime, he is who he is and thats good enough for a ring.
    Posted by JamezHill24

Watch the defenders throughout the  league. Their actions will tell you how good Rondo's shooting is... or bad.

Posters at BDC aren't being unfair to Rondo... no more than defenders thoughout the league are being unfair.

And Rondo can prove us and them wrong any time he decides to round out his game. Its totally up to him.

That he has improved his shooting from Gawd-awful to awful in 5 years????  Maybe. Hard to tell. It still stinks. Again watch the respect he gets from the opps. They know. That's their job to know.

His FT shooting has certainly gone down the commode as has his aggressiveness when the game is on the  line. 

Rondo's remedy for poor FT shooting? STOP going to the line! Few will notice.

Pud

Sections
Shortcuts