Looking at the draft.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdp59. Show kdp59's posts

Looking at the draft.

kinda bored , so I've been checking our early NBA draft rankings/mocks.

it looks like, the consensis is there are as many 6 possible elite type players who may be in this next draft:

in no particlur order here.

Embiid

Parker

Wiggins

Randle

Smart

and maybe

Exum

is that what those here who follow the draft also think?

so if the celtics don't end up with one of the top 6 picks next year, we won't get that "elite" propect that most fans want from a "tanking" season?

what players would you each put in the next group, players who will most likely be solid NBA starters and fairly quickly in the ir Careers?

thanks

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdp59. Show kdp59's posts

Re: Looking at the draft.

In response to Fierce34's comment:

"so if the celtics don't end up with one of the top 6 picks next year, we won't get that "elite" propect that most fans want from a "tanking" season?"

Celts can still get an elite propect if they're in the top 10.

Outside the top 10 means another role player.

OK so who else do you put in the "elite" prospect category?

I have possibly 6 so far, you need 4 more.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KJandHondo. Show KJandHondo's posts

This is hella wordy but is my almost mid-season draft breakdown.  There is way more than just role players outside of the top 10.  Those picks from 10-15 have guys that would be top picks in other drafts.  Right now for Instance NBADraft.net has

1: Embiid

2: Parker

3: Wiggins

4: Smart

5: Randle

6: LaVine

7: Exum

8: Hood

9: Grant

10: Vonleh

11: Harris

12: Young

13: Robinson III

14: McDermott

15: Ennis

IMO any of the top 10 are can’t miss guys, LaVine is extremely raw but has Westbrook athleticism and a better stroke than Westbrook had as a freshman.  Hood would have been the #1 pick last year and is an incredible scorer with great NBA SF size,  I think some forget about him bc he plays alongside probably the best NCAA player at this point.  Grant for SU has unreal athleticism and potential,  6’8” with SG quickness and PF/C length at 7’2”.  He’s developing more range but plays so many minutes as one of SU’s bigs but as of right now can play top defense on multiple positions.  Vonleh is getting somewhat hidden on a bad Indy squad but by all advanced metrics is playing some of the best defense in all of NCAA basketball ranking top 5 in defensive win shares, defensive efficiency, blocks but is a smooth offensive player with 7’3” wingspan, dribble, and face-up/post move ability.   

As for 11-15 both Young and GRIII has really top notch offensive games, 3pt range, dribble/drive, midrange, off dribble and catch and shoot and they have + size at SG which I think they will end up playing.  GRII especially played the best team in the country, Zona, and by leaps and bounds looked like the best player on the floor.  I’m personally not a huge McDerrmott fan but his shot is so good he could have the best 3pt% in the NBA a few years from now.  And Ennis is the best PG SU has had in 10+ years… as a freshman.  He can get to the basket, he has great shooting ability anywhere on the floor, and is a really good defender with + size for the position (playing way better at this point than MCW did ever in an Orange uniform). 

But even outside of 15 there are starters in this draft, Cauley-Stien is playing defense comparable to Anthony Davis and could make a run at his blocks record.  He’s nowhere the offensive player the brow was or is but WCS is more of a pure defensive Center al la Tyson Chandler.  He’s 7’0.5”, 7’2.5” wingspan and has soft hands, really raw offensively but with added size could be an above average defensive stopper down low.   Semaj Christon and Aaron Gordon were a top 10 guys earlier in the season and now are at 21 & 19 respectively so they have talent.   Chris Walker was the 7th best/ most recruited player out of HS for this class which is amazing and is sitting currently at 29.  He’s probably the MOST athletic person in the draft, is 6’10” and a 7’2” wingspan could play all 3 forward positions and is a jump shot away from being an all-star type guy.   And Kyle Anderson is in the 2nd round but is a 6’9” SF that has the handle and passing ability of a PG, if this guy can find a weight room and build up some quickness I can’t imagine how good he could be, he has a very “particular set of skills”.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiggerThanMyBrady. Show BiggerThanMyBrady's posts

If you look at advanced metrics, Noah Vonleh is the most efficient player in all of the NCAA's (if you're looking at guys on this list). Rebounds well, has a knack for drawing fouls, and when he fills out could be a beast. Could be a Horford-type with his body that he's still growing into.

I need to see more of Zach LaVine before I sign off on him. Definitely a slashing/attack guard who can jump out of the gym. Need to see a more consistent jumpshot and he needs to play smarter. 

Someone is going to laugh when Rodney Hood falls to them. Smooth lefty. Might be able to play some 2, but definitely a nice, lengthy 6'8" 3. James Young is another lefty that can really score.

Jerami Grant needs to develop a jumpshot. Really athletic, really long, but needs to fill out. Valuable piece for the Orange. Tyler Ennis has impressed me a lot. He's the SMARTEST PG they've had in years. Not as athletic as MCW, not as good of a shooter as G-Mac or Jonny Flynn, and he's already better than Scoop Jardine and Brandon Triche. Really crafty, great courtvision. He's silently been the most important piece of the SU offense. Not sure if he'll come out though.

Gary Harris is the best prospect on a probable final four team. A little small for a 2, but if you think Avery Bradley can be a starting 2, there's no reason to think GH couldn't be. 

McDermott is the guy that could really surprise some people. He's an elite shooter, has good basketball instincts, but doesn't wow you with athleticism. He has a role. He has a "Spurs" feel to him. 

You could lump Aaron Gordon and Chris Walker into the same category. Chris Walker is better IMO (good thing the NBA doesn't care about acedemics) and if he could develop a shot at all could really be an impact player. 

Kyle Anderson is a point forward. Moves like a sloth, but is sneakily effective (think Paul Piece in his later years). He lulls you to sleep with his movement but then drains a jumper in your face. 

Other guys to consider late:

Jordan Clarkson - 6'5" PG from Mizzou
    Wayne Selden
    Montrezl Harrell 
    CJ Fair - has improved every year at Cuse
    Markell Brown
    Dario Saric (if he declares this time)
    Semaj Christian
    Cory Jefferson

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Great posts guys.

I'm curious, why has Seldon dropped so far... as in... off of the entire draft board?

He would be an awesome steal in the 2nd round, in my opinion. I also absolutely agree with you on Stein, depending on where he falls. He could be a defensive monster, A McGee with more brains. He would be a nice pick-up with our Atlanta pick if we are unable to attain Embiid, who is a stud.

This is going to be an exciting draft.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiggerThanMyBrady. Show BiggerThanMyBrady's posts

Wayne Selden will stay at KU if he's pegged as a second rounder. As to why, I'm not really sure. Not putting up huge numbers, but the talent is there. Scouts don't really care about numbers all the time. Sometimes you take someone because of potential, not necessarily numbers. I don't watch Kansas's games, so I don't know if the offense really revolves around him. I'll have to pay more attention. He's one of my favorite guys in this class. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to BiggerThanMyBrady's comment:

Wayne Selden will stay at KU if he's pegged as a second rounder. As to why, I'm not really sure. Not putting up huge numbers, but the talent is there. Scouts don't really care about numbers all the time. Sometimes you take someone because of potential, not necessarily numbers. I don't watch Kansas's games, so I don't know if the offense really revolves around him. I'll have to pay more attention. He's one of my favorite guys in this class. 

I completely agree. I'd take him in that 12-20 range. Hopefully he gets a little bit more hype so that he comes out this year and we can take him low.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from KJandHondo. Show KJandHondo's posts

In response to R9R's comment:

I completely agree. I'd take him in that 12-20 range. Hopefully he gets a little bit more hype so that he comes out this year and we can take him low.

I've seen about 5 KU games and in every one of them it just seems that Self is misusing Selden's talents.  He has crazy IQ and passing ability and is probably their best option at PG.  But Self is more comfortable using Tharpe as the primary ball handler even though he averages 5 assists with their ridiculous roster.  Selden barely touches the ball (19%USG) and when he does it seems like he gets too agressive from not being involved and makes ill advised shots/passes.  He would be a steal in the mid 1st, impressive combo guard with + size at  6'6" and an NBA body. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from melswitts. Show melswitts's posts

In response to KJandHondo's comment:

This is hella wordy but is my almost mid-season draft breakdown.  There is way more than just role players outside of the top 10.  Those picks from 10-15 have guys that would be top picks in other drafts.  Right now for Instance NBADraft.net has

1: Embiid

2: Parker

3: Wiggins

4: Smart

5: Randle

6: LaVine

7: Exum

8: Hood

9: Grant

10: Vonleh

11: Harris

12: Young

13: Robinson III

14: McDermott

15: Ennis

IMO any of the top 10 are can’t miss guys, LaVine is extremely raw but has Westbrook athleticism and a better stroke than Westbrook had as a freshman.  Hood would have been the #1 pick last year and is an incredible scorer with great NBA SF size,  I think some forget about him bc he plays alongside probably the best NCAA player at this point.  Grant for SU has unreal athleticism and potential,  6’8” with SG quickness and PF/C length at 7’2”.  He’s developing more range but plays so many minutes as one of SU’s bigs but as of right now can play top defense on multiple positions.  Vonleh is getting somewhat hidden on a bad Indy squad but by all advanced metrics is playing some of the best defense in all of NCAA basketball ranking top 5 in defensive win shares, defensive efficiency, blocks but is a smooth offensive player with 7’3” wingspan, dribble, and face-up/post move ability.   

As for 11-15 both Young and GRIII has really top notch offensive games, 3pt range, dribble/drive, midrange, off dribble and catch and shoot and they have + size at SG which I think they will end up playing.  GRII especially played the best team in the country, Zona, and by leaps and bounds looked like the best player on the floor.  I’m personally not a huge McDerrmott fan but his shot is so good he could have the best 3pt% in the NBA a few years from now.  And Ennis is the best PG SU has had in 10+ years… as a freshman.  He can get to the basket, he has great shooting ability anywhere on the floor, and is a really good defender with + size for the position (playing way better at this point than MCW did ever in an Orange uniform). 

But even outside of 15 there are starters in this draft, Cauley-Stien is playing defense comparable to Anthony Davis and could make a run at his blocks record.  He’s nowhere the offensive player the brow was or is but WCS is more of a pure defensive Center al la Tyson Chandler.  He’s 7’0.5”, 7’2.5” wingspan and has soft hands, really raw offensively but with added size could be an above average defensive stopper down low.   Semaj Christon and Aaron Gordon were a top 10 guys earlier in the season and now are at 21 & 19 respectively so they have talent.   Chris Walker was the 7th best/ most recruited player out of HS for this class which is amazing and is sitting currently at 29.  He’s probably the MOST athletic person in the draft, is 6’10” and a 7’2” wingspan could play all 3 forward positions and is a jump shot away from being an all-star type guy.   And Kyle Anderson is in the 2nd round but is a 6’9” SF that has the handle and passing ability of a PG, if this guy can find a weight room and build up some quickness I can’t imagine how good he could be, he has a very “particular set of skills”.

That's why you let someone else give him an opportunity to achieve greatness...Rondo STILL can't hit an open J from more than 12 feet when it counts, why start all over again with a 6'10" version of the little malcontent?

Unless they are very special players, once they get all that $$$ they have no incentive to put in the hours to improve their game...if they can't shoot in college, they rarely learn how later...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to KJandHondo's comment:

In response to R9R's comment:

I've seen about 5 KU games and in every one of them it just seems that Self is misusing Selden's talents.  He has crazy IQ and passing ability and is probably their best option at PG.  But Self is more comfortable using Tharpe as the primary ball handler even though he averages 5 assists with their ridiculous roster.  Selden barely touches the ball (19%USG) and when he does it seems like he gets too agressive from not being involved and makes ill advised shots/passes.  He would be a steal in the mid 1st, impressive combo guard with + size at  6'6" and an NBA body. 

Perfect analysis and exactly the reason why I like him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

Atl Hawks just lost Al Horford to season ending surgery(torn pec), so their record should plumet.... potentially a good thing for the Celtics, considering we get the lower of the Hawks/Nets first round pick.

13. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts