LOOKING LIKE AN "OOPS!" ON AVERY BRADLEY?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wicksandrowe. Show wicksandrowe's posts

LOOKING LIKE AN "OOPS!" ON AVERY BRADLEY?

Disclaimer: I really love the work, attitude, and energy Bradley brings, and his pull up jumper could turn into a signature weapon.

That said, he looks still like he'll never, ever be an even adequate point guard in the sense that he'll ever be able to orchestrate an offense. Two assists a game is not a PG number.

To this moment he remains a delivery man, a guy who can get the ball over the timeline and to the top of the three-point arc. And then it all ends. What's left is:

1. take a dribble or two, pass to the high elbow and go to the corner or

2. attempt some sort of pick and roll action and nearly always fail to produce anything from it.  

He dribbles at the same speed, the same cadence, can't change direction, and never seems to shake defenders in pick and roll no matter who they are, good, bad, or indifferent.  He hasn't the vision to see what could happen next and on the rare occasions when he does see the play to be made, he lacks the deception, skill and precision to execute the pass.  

The fact that he isn't making shots or finishing at the rim hasn't helped either.

And at the defensive end, it looks like the league may have figured him out as a great on-ball, pressure defender far from the basket, but not that great in the half-court (see Kyrie Irving and Deron Williams).

Is this too negative an assessment? Or is there hope still for him at the 2?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

Re: LOOKING LIKE AN

You have some interesting points there. And to be honest, I was never as high on AB as some others were. He is a unique player but at the moment he is just a role player. Not a role player in a bad way, just in a way that he is great in a specific thing, but only in a specific thing. It was clear that: 1. He is not a PG (and maybe never will). 2. The other team will scout him and take away the backdoor cuts and screen him at the middle line on to weaken his defence. 3. His shooting at the end of the last RS was a fluke.

The biggest issue in my opinion you have missed IMO. He is to small for a 2 guard. That is his problem against Deron Williams and other bigger guards. And this will never change, unlike his shooting or ballhandling.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wicksandrowe. Show wicksandrowe's posts

In response to Gasthoerer's comment:

The biggest issue in my opinion you have missed IMO. He is to small for a 2 guard. That is his problem against Deron Williams and other bigger guards. And this will never change, unlike his shooting or ballhandling.

Agreed that Bradley is small for a 2, but he's actually taller than Deron Wiliams, higher reach, jump, etc. At least according to their draft physicals.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

I'm not sure. Fisher is very craft and was very clutch. And he was/is a better ball handler than AB. AND I REALLY, REALLY HATE FISHER.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

In response to wicksandrowe's comment:

Agreed that Bradley is small for a 2, but he's actually taller than Deron Wiliams, higher reach, jump, etc. At least according to their draft physicals.

Deron Williams: http://www.nba.com/playerfile/deron_williams/
    Height: 6-3 / 1.91  Weight: 209 lbs. / 94.8 kg

Weight: 209 lbs. / 94.8 kg.  AB: http://www.nba.com/playerfile/avery_bradley/
    Height: 6-2 / 1.88 Weight: 180 lbs. / 81.6 kg.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

There's no pressure. AB is just getting 1.6m this season and 2.5m next season. So he's not a liability, money-wise.

There is no need to get rid of AB. Even if he doesn't improve his game, I would keep him as a role player. He will put terror on smaller guards. He is just not a key player for a god team yet (and maybe he will never be).

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jacqm64. Show jacqm64's posts

Disclaimer: I really love the work, attitude, and energy Bradley brings, and his pull up jumper could turn into a signature weapon.

That said, he looks still like he'll never, ever be an even adequate point guard in the sense that he'll ever be able to orchestrate an offense. Two assists a game is not a PG number.

To this moment he remains a delivery man, a guy who can get the ball over the timeline and to the top of the three-point arc. And then it all ends. What's left is:

1. take a dribble or two, pass to the high elbow and go to the corner or

2. attempt some sort of pick and roll action and nearly always fail to produce anything from it.  

He dribbles at the same speed, the same cadence, can't change direction, and never seems to shake defenders in pick and roll no matter who they are, good, bad, or indifferent.  He hasn't the vision to see what could happen next and on the rare occasions when he does see the play to be made, he lacks the deception, skill and precision to execute the pass.  

The fact that he isn't making shots or finishing at the rim hasn't helped either.

And at the defensive end, it looks like the league may have figured him out as a great on-ball, pressure defender far from the basket, but not that great in the half-court (see Kyrie Irving and Deron Williams).

Is this too negative an assessment? Or is there hope still for him at the 2?

Bradley is not a true PG, we all know that. But on this team right now, PG by committee he's not bad.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Fierce, I don't think saying AB is like Fisher is a good thing for THIS team.  I mean, Fisher was effective because he had Kobe, Shaq, Bynum and Gasol.  AB doesn't have those pieces so he has to be so much more than Fisher.

He really hasn't gotten over that hump yet but he has time to significantly develop.  He cannot continue to run the point because it's obvious he cannot run an offense.  And I think he's too small and lacks consistent offense to play at the two as a starter.  If he's going to be a SG, he has to do more than play exceptional defense to be the 5th best player on the team unless we move Rondo and bring in a "score first" PG.

He, no doubt, is a perfect off-the-bench role player who can play lock down defense and excel cutting to the rim.  His shot is just too inconsistent to be an effective contributor offensively now.

But his salary is perfect and gives us enough time to see if he can be a long-term contributor.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

1. Why does Bradley need to excel at the point. That is why we have Rondo.

2. He is like 23? His second full? season ... he is still getting better.

3. Maybe he's being asked to do too much. I think the best strategy is play him KG minutes (5 minute spurt) so that he can go be super aggressive, change the tempo, create turnovers, run the floor.

This is more likely to happen when Rondo returns, but we have the guards now. I'd like to see more Williams + Crawford, just in their roles. The only thing is I only want Crawford focused on scoring. When he gets it, shoot, or make a single pass to an open scorer.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

though we could just retire Terry and sign Ellis this off season. I thin Rondo, Bradley, Ellis, Crawford, Williams, Lee would be a great backcourt!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to R9R's comment:

though we could just retire Terry and sign Ellis this off season. I thin Rondo, Bradley, Ellis, Crawford, Williams, Lee would be a great backcourt!

Bradley is 22.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

I never considered Bradley a point guard, he's an undersized two guard who can still be VERY effective. But no, he's not a point, never will be. 2 is his natural position. Only risk is that it puts us at a disadvantage against big backcourts. 

If we are able to advance into the playoffs and play the Heat, that will be an interesting test for Bradley at the 2 against Wade. If Bradley can at least make big 2 guards pay at the other end and get his, then I think he can be a long term fit for us at the 2. 

That said he has not been playing as well lately. 

Looking more and more likely Ainge will want him and Rondo on the floor together to see if they can recapture the magic next season. If they can, then maybe Rondo stays....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wicksandrowe. Show wicksandrowe's posts

Deron Williams: http://www.nba.com/playerfile/deron_williams/
    Height: 6-3 / 1.91  Weight: 209 lbs. / 94.8 kg

Weight: 209 lbs. / 94.8 kg.  AB: http://www.nba.com/playerfile/avery_bradley/
    Height: 6-2 / 1.88 Weight: 180 lbs. / 81.6 kg.

These are directly from the anthropometric measurements from official NBA Combine Pre-Draft Physicals

Williams     Bradley

Height w/o Shoes           6' 1.75"         6’ 2”

Height w/shoes              6' 2.75"         6’ 3.25”

Weight                            202               180

Wingspan                        6' 6.25"         6’ 7.25”

Standing Reach               8' 2"               8’ 2.5”

Body Fat                          NA                4.0

No Step Vert                  30.0              31.5

Max Vert                        35.0              37.5

Bench Press                    15                  2

Lane Agility                    10.83            11.47

3/4 Court Sprint             3.25              3.14

Class Rank                      10                  NA

SOURCE:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Deron-Williams-72/

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Avery-Bradley-5285/

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

These are directly from the anthropometric measurements from official NBA Combine Pre-Draft Physicals

Williams     Bradley

Height w/o Shoes           6' 1.75"         6’ 2”

Height w/shoes              6' 2.75"         6’ 3.25”

Weight                            202               180

Wingspan                        6' 6.25"         6’ 7.25”

Standing Reach               8' 2"               8’ 2.5”

Body Fat                          NA                4.0

No Step Vert                  30.0              31.5

Max Vert                        35.0              37.5

Bench Press                    15                  2

Lane Agility                    10.83            11.47

3/4 Court Sprint             3.25              3.14

Class Rank                      10                  NA

SOURCE:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Deron-Williams-72/

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Avery-Bradley-5285/

Interesting, who knows which data is right? On top, the data of deron is very old, could even be that he has grown an inch or two. What is remaining: Wiliiams has a huge weight advantage vs. AB and AB is undersized anyway and will always struggle against bigger guards.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Bradley can play the 2 and spot the 1 in limited minutes.  He was never a 1, he is an undersized 2 who, when asked to do too much, has struggled a bit.  When Rondo comes back Bradley can be Bradley.  He is a defensive-minded 2 who can score a bit and will likely get better.  Will they want to re-sign him after next year?  Depends on where they are in a rebuild.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

Petey

AB is not going to be a star, he's just going to be a very good role player like Fisher. 

Right now the Celts don't have that potential superstar who can lead the new generation of Celtics to a championship.

Uncle Jeff is a 3rd option.

Sully is another very good role player that will not become a star.

So the hunt for the next Celts superstar starts after this season.

Makes me wish Danny had pulled off Harden in the Perkins trade. If Harden+Lin can carry that team to the playoffs - think about what a Rondo + Harden could have done, especially while PP and KG were still around. For one thing, we wouldn't need to play the 2 guard by committee (Bradley, Lee, Terry, Crawford, Williams) .. and we could have gotten more bigs to supplement KG.

21. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts