Losing out on talent - Why not Boston?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rbrock911. Show rbrock911's posts

Losing out on talent - Why not Boston?

Lakers, Knicks, LA Clippers, NJ Nets, and now the Pacers!?

Boston is a great sports town and is still a contender given the right complimentary pieces.  Why do the good free agents not want to come to town?  I understand wanting to go to bigger markets, but since when is NJ / Clippers / and the Pacers a better destination?  We still have a very good core, great passing/defending point guard and an organization that will pay for the right talent.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenaboveGold. Show GreenaboveGold's posts

Re: Losing out on talent - Why not Boston?

In Response to Losing out on talent - Why not Boston?:
    [QUOTE]Lakers, Knicks, LA Clippers, NJ Nets, and now the Pacers!? Boston is a great sports town and is still a contender given the right complimentary pieces.  Why do the good free agents not want to come to town?  I understand wanting to go to bigger markets, but since when is NJ / Clippers / and the Pacers a better destination?  We still have a very good core, great passing/defending point guard and an organization that will pay for the right talent.
    Posted by rbrock911[/QUOTE]
    more attractive market, same chance at a championship (Lakers), possibily more money, Starting sport. Future or Window for a title ( in case of the pacers which i believ will be a contender in the future. they take all that into consideraton.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rbrock911. Show rbrock911's posts

In Response to Re: Losing out on talent - Why not Boston?:
    [QUOTE]That's because KG is 35 going 36, Ray is 36, and Pierce is 34 years old. When the Celts got KG and Ray in 2007 a lot of players wanted to come to Boston.
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

I understand their age - but Ray can still hit 3's, Pierce still is clutch and KG is still an intense competitor - not to mention Rondo is one of the best point guards in the league. 

We can still be a contender with a few good pieces -Clippers are going nowhere and Indiana has alot of young talent - but not the talent level that can contend for a championship.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rbrock911. Show rbrock911's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Losing out on talent - Why not Boston? : more attractive market, same chance at a championship (Lakers), possibily more money, Starting sport. Future or Window for a title ( in case of the pacers which i believ will be a contender in the future. they take all that into consideraton.
    Posted by GreenaboveGold[/QUOTE]

David West wants to play for a contender and is not getting any younger.  Inidana impressed my last year in the playoffs with their youth and energy, but the C's can still win with some upgraded talent and good role players which are filling out the roster now.  Plus the Celtics are still the most storied franchises in the leauge.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In response to "Losing out on talent - Why not Boston?": [QUOTE]Lakers, Knicks, LA Clippers, NJ Nets, and now the Pacers!? Boston is a great sports town and is still a contender given the right complimentary pieces.  Why do the good free agents not want to come to town?  I understand wanting to go to bigger markets, but since when is NJ / Clippers / and the Pacers a better destination?  We still have a very good core, great passing/defending point guard and an organization that will pay for the right talent. Posted by rbrock911[/QUOTE] Each one is different: West wanted the surety of more money. Paul wants to play with a star for multiple years and still make the big bucks. Howard is much like Paul. Paul and Howard want to compete with their contemporaries (Wade, Lebron, Bosh or Carmelo, Amare or Howard, DWill). They are of the same generation and they all see the success and the fan attention that the Heat get. They can only get that drug by being on a team with other young stars. Celtics are "Old School" to them in a cold blue collar town and about to become irrelevant with age........in their views. Get one of them and others will come. Remember, KG did not want to be here until he found out Ray was here! Then he loved being a Celtic.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

[QUOTE]That's because KG is 35 going 36, Ray is 36, and Pierce is 34 years old. When the Celts got KG and Ray, in 2007, a lot of players wanted to come to Boston.

that's not it - if you add a FA or two the celtics are favorites to win it all.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Fierce
    In the New York Times its says the Lakers with the 9million credit they got for Odom they will be hoping to move Bynum for Howard without Gasol. If they can do that this could change the fix they are in. Is Orlando stupid enough to take this lousy deal?

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]Fierce In the New York Times its says the Lakers with the 9million credit they got for Odom they will be hoping to move Bynum for Howard without Gasol. If they can do that this could change the fix they are in. Is Orlando stupid enough to take this lousy deal?
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

Why would Orlando give up Howard for Bynum?  It doesn't make sense since Howard is a superior player and isn't injury prone like Bynum.  Orlando would never do this trade. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Losing out on talent - Why not Boston? : Andrew Bynum straight up for Dwight Howard does not make sense for Orlando.  The only way the Celts were in the mix for DH was when the Magic still had Arenas' contract. Right now the Magic still has one more bad contract that they have to get rid of, Turkoglu's. My guess is if the Magic are going to trade DH now, it would have to include Turkoglu. 

You are probably right.  It makes sense that Orlando would want Turkoglu included in a trade for Howard. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Because Baskteball players are by far the weakest, most complacent, and uneducated pof all athletes.  It's now about flashy, big lights, popularity.. the sport has lost it's touch.  Weakest most unrespected sport that I have ever seen.

Look how they are dressed during the lockout behind Fish(the only suited guy)

NFL lockout.. all suited.

NFL players have to play 3 yeas college(More educated)

While everything I wrote may have nothing to do with "Why not Boston", I think these things must be considered.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Cold weather city... Young players don't care about the history or traditions. And if you want to have a championship team you need to trade for it and then convince CP and DH to stay long term.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

I used to think it was about the weather. Baseball players love coming to Boston (at least until the fans, media, or management inevitably turn on them) and the reason could be that baseball is played from April-October when the temperatures for the most part tend to be comfortable. Spending your summers playing baseball at a packed historic ballpark in a great city, when you don't have to wear a coat or shovel snow, appeals to young athletes. Basetball is played during the winter. Why deal with harsh weather if it can be avoided? That's how these pampered athletes feel. But then there's the example of football, also played during the winter, outdoors in most places. How come cold weather locales have no problem attracting top talent? The Packers and Patriots are two of the most popular teams. Some guys even pick the Bills over teams like the Charters. Are NFL players less concerned with tropical weather and glitz than their NBA counterparts? Basketball seems to be the only sport where the vast majority of players only want to play for a handful of teams.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from debrit. Show debrit's posts

[QUOTE]Lakers, Knicks, LA Clippers, NJ Nets, and now the Pacers!? Boston is a great sports town and is still a contender given the right complimentary pieces.  Why do the good free agents not want to come to town?  I understand wanting to go to bigger markets, but since when is NJ / Clippers / and the Pacers a better destination?  We still have a very good core, great passing/defending point guard and an organization that will pay for the right talent.
    David West is not here because the Hornest could not find a taker for JO,s contract.It was a sign and trade deal.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

Really?   Really?  ummmm. because there is no talent here after next year......  do you really need to ask this question.  Do you realize how stupid you look when you ask an uninformed question like this?

Still have a very good core?  They are over the hill and will mostly be gone by next year and obviously have one of the most overrated players in the history of sports as a "building block", well at least overrated on this board.  The intelligent people have seen through it all along....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BoylestonBB. Show BoylestonBB's posts

[QUOTE]Fierce In the New York Times its says the Lakers with the 9million credit they got for Odom they will be hoping to move Bynum for Howard without Gasol. If they can do that this could change the fix they are in. Is Orlando stupid enough to take this lousy deal?
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

Only after I have done everything to keep Howard.

Sections
Shortcuts