Love in Boston

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Re: Love in Boston

A healthy Kevin Love is a dominant Kevin Love.

That's what we've learned this season, as Love continues to destroy stat lines like today's NBA is a video game and he's the unabashed puppeteer, setting opponents' competition levels to "super easy, they wear cinder blocks as sneakers" mode.

Love is averaging 26.4 points, 13.3 rebounds and 4.1 assists per game on the season. If his current numbers hold, he will become the fifth player in NBA history to post such benchmarks for an entire year, joining Hall of Famers Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Billy Cunningham, Wilt Chamberlain and Elgin Baylor.

The transformation he has undergone truly is remarkable. Love has always been a double-double threat, but he's strengthened the passing element of his game, making him someone who could flirt with a triple-double on any given night.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

In response to Fiercy's comment:

In response to DrBoogiebone's comment:

Fierce, if this past draft has shown anything, along with our past chances of getting that "superstar" via draft, it's that we definetly should NOT pin our hopes to the draft for the next Lebron/Durant. Not that we can't get a diamond in the rough who will exceed expectations, like we have before (PP, Rondo). I'm just not into praying for losses all season long, then keeping my fingers crossed come lottery time only to be let down yet again. Have we not been let down enough? Love and Rondo is better then crossing those fingers for ping-pong balls that NEVER go our way. This past lottery really sucked the wind right out of my sails when it comes to building a young team through the draft. Too, I don't think we'll give up ALL our surplus of lottery picks for Love. I'm not sold on the Melo idea myself.

Here's the thing, after 3-4 years of getting eliminated in the playoffs, the Celts will be back to where they are at this point in time.

And that is searching for a solution to make it back to the Finals.

If you're going to tell me that you're fine with the Celts just making the playoffs every year then I won't argue with you because that's a valid point.

But I've been a Celtic fan for almost 30 years now and I'm really not into just seeing the Celts in the playoffs.

And taking a stab at the lottery is better then a Rondo/Love start? There's nothing definite in those drafts, even if we actually did get lucky enough to get a top 3 pick. Even in this one. Parker, Wiggins, or Embiid is not going to get us past Lebron/Durant. Nor will any other foreseeable up-in-coming talent. They are completely unproven at the next level. I can't believe you would take a shot in the dark from scratch, over a Rondo/Love starting foundation. Only 3-4 years? Love is only 25-26. And Rondo is only 27-28. We had 4-5 good years out of PP, KG, RA, and they were entering their mid 30's.

Thanks for the link on the "Rondo contract" topic. But from would I understand, it's more assumptions. He's going to try to get what he can, but it's not going to be a max deal. If it's close to, I can live with that. After all, he is a perennial all-star, and the current face of this franchise.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

When you have a shot at getting the best PF in the game - you take that shot!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

It's easy to say there's more to Ainge's plan.

There are no hidden superstars in the NBA.

Best case scenario is a Rondo-Love-Carmelo Big 3.

Only and idiot would say PP and Ray are similar to Rondo and Love.

Who's the KG in this scenario?

Carmelo?

Again, there are no hidden superstars in the NBA.

Also, Rondo's contract expires next summer.

Love's contract expires in 2016.

When Ainge got Ray and KG, the Celts didn't have to worry about contracts until the end of the 2010 season.

Acquiring Love to play with Rondo is TOTALLY DIFFERENT from the 2007 Ray to Boston then KG follows scenario.

Nope

It is very very similar

You have an established 28 year old all-star (PP was 29 turning 30 shortly) who has been here 8 years and is restless to win again (PP had been here 9 years),  the #6 pick in the draft ('07 was #5), a solid young PF with all-star potential (Sully vs. Al, who never became an all-star but is the 23/11 PF Sully can be) future assets (the picks we gave up in '07 not as enticing as ones we can give up now) and exp non-guaranteed deals (Bass/Bogans vs. Ratliff).

Green is like a younger/better/cheaper Wally Z if we deal him to add the Ray puzzle piece. Love is the KG piece. A top 10 player. KG was elite defense/good offense and 31 years old. Love is elite offense/average defense and 25 years old. We also have the TPE which can be sent to Houston with a future pick straight up for Asik, he adds that Perk/KG defensive element.

Only difference is this time around you want to hate. you probably were a hater in 2007 as well, only I was here at the time and you were a bandwagon jumper who came after the title season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

The '08 Celtics had to be built to beat Lakers, Spurs and Pistons, more 'teams' than Durant/leBron shows. True.
    What has OKC won... nothing.

The Mavs beat the Heat in 2011 with an all-offense mediocre defense 31 almost 32 year old PF leading the way averaging 25/8 in the regular season and 28/8 in the playoffs. Love at age 25 was a 26/12 last year. His PER was higher than any dirk ever put up except for his 2006 MVP season.

Who else did Dallas have? Jason Kidd, a pass first triple double PG like Rondo, a rim protecting 7 footer in Chandler (like Asik) and Shawn Marion, a guy who is great as your 4th best player the same as Jeff Green is great as your 4th best player.

The Spurs should have beat the Heat in last years finals and could beat them in this years finals.

You are not Rajon Rondo's agent, you do not know if a player like Durant would never sign here in 2016 when the C's could have the cap space to sign him with a team that also has Rondo and Love on it.

All we know is right now you want to hate on the idea of bringing a superstar in the NBA's top 3 percent to this club b/c you desperately want Rondo traded on draft night and are on the record as saying this player will NEVER come to Boston. Is that a real Celtic Pride fan? Nope! It is the words and comments of a loser, the turd in the punch bowl fan all about himself and not the team he 'supposedly' follows.

Disgusting.

But then again.... so Fiercy. A loser who acts like the smartest guy in the room, like he is just preaching the 'sad reality' even as his hollow words and bullying antics get exposed by posters like me. I trust in Danny Ainge to work magic again. I don't believe in the garbage losers like Fiercy vomit up here.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

In response to kaktug's comment:

but they both know the formula for title contention. you need a "big 3". and they know that. 

What Big 3?

With Love and Rondo getting max contracts, it's very unlikely the Celts will be able to get that 3rd superstar.

Point being they know they can't both get max contracts and expect to win a title. They would have to do what miami's big 3 did and take a discount to add that 3rd wheel. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Kevin Garnett was worth 10.7 wins in Minnesota the year before he came to Boston. He was worth 12.9 wins the year we won the title. He was never worth over 10 wins a season after that. The Celtics should not have expected more than 2, maybe 3, seasons of KG being worth 10+ wins a year.

Kevin Love was worth 14.3 wins last year at age 25. He was also worth 10 and 11 wins at age 22 and 23. He is entering his prime, not his decline, like KG was. The C's should expect 6-7 seasons of Love being worth 12+ wins. That is the 2 years left (with on option) on his current deal, plus a 5 year extension.

Pierce was hurt and only played half of the tanking '06-'07 season (hey! Just like Rondo this year) but in his last 4 seasons before the '07 debacle he averaged 9.8 wins a season. So that was what to expect as he still had 3-4 years of his prime. In the championship season Paul produced 12.4. His decline came after 2011.

Rondo's last 4 full seasons before the injury he averaged 7.7 wins per season, his prime should have been starting after that, but we shall see if the improvement will come. At the very least Rondo and Love will be worth 20+ wins a season for the next 4-5 years. KG and Pierce were worth 26.3 wins in 2008 and then never again worth more than 20.6 (2011) and were only worth 15.6 wins in the 2010 season.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Kevin Love is 'Ray Allen' in this trade idea only in the idea that he is the piece acquired at the draft to lure keep the current all-star from wanting to leave (Rondo now, Pierce then) and to lure a 3rd player in down the line.

Love is a KG like force when it comes to impact and how many wins he is worth.

Ray was worth around 10 wins a season his 2 healthy years age 29 and 30 before being hurt the season before he came to Boston. He was worth 9.5 wins a year his 4 seasons in Boston ages 32-35.

Jeff Green is currently only worth about 4 wins per season. If Rondo is just under Ray and Paul's #'s for impact, but averaged with Love's superiority to all of them making that duo a wash with PP/KG then the Celtics need to upgrade Green to someone worth twice as many wins as him. Someone like Luol Deng during his 3-4 best seasons.

Asik was worth 5.5 wins in his single season as a starting center, same as Perk from '08-'10.

Bradley (Tony Allen), Wallace or a Pierce MLE signing (Posey), Olynyk (Pollard/Brown role with Baby/Powe youth), Hump (Bass/Baby role with more experience), Bayless (House) and Pressey (Cassell) could fill the roles of the 2008 bench quite nicely.

If the T'Wolves could be convinced to exchange Wallace (2 yrs 20 million) for Kevin Martin (3 years 21 million) that could be huge. Martin was worth 7-9 wins in two of the last 4 seasons when he played for good teams. Wallace just turns 32 in July, he could still have some juice left when he finally gets healthy and rested.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

Why add a player like Love. Such a waste. All they need to do is draft a top 5 player all time and they will be better off. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to BCSP's comment:

When you have a shot at getting the best PF in the game - you take that shot!

Agree.

But you said Love, Rondo, and Mayo.

Do you believe Love, Rondo, and Mayo will be able to win Banner 18 for us Celtic fans?

[/

Fierce - "anything is possible" 

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to BCSP's comment:

Fierce - "anything is possible" 

After KG said that, the Celts never won a championship again.

Trust in DA! Best GM in the business! 

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

I hope Gorgui Dieng is coming our way in any K.Love deal.

FORGET PEKOVIC!!!!!  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

In response to DrBoogiebone's comment:

+1

Exactly right.  If we go this route, we are a second round and out for the next 4 years and then we are back to where we are now.

Fierce, if this past draft has shown anything, along with our past chances of getting that "superstar" via draft, it's that we definetly should NOT pin our hopes to the draft for the next Lebron/Durant. Not that we can't get a diamond in the rough who will exceed expectations, like we have before (PP, Rondo). I'm just not into praying for losses all season long, then keeping my fingers crossed come lottery time only to be let down yet again. Have we not been let down enough? Love and Rondo is better then crossing those fingers for ping-pong balls that NEVER go our way. This past lottery really sucked the wind right out of my sails when it comes to building a young team through the draft. Too, I don't think we'll give up ALL our surplus of lottery picks for Love. I'm not sold on the Melo idea myself.

Here's the thing, after 3-4 years of getting eliminated in the playoffs, the Celts will be back to where they are at this point in time.

And that is searching for a solution to make it back to the Finals.

If you're going to tell me that you're fine with the Celts just making the playoffs every year then I won't argue with you because that's a valid point.

But I've been a Celtic fan for almost 30 years now and I'm really not into just seeing the Celts in the playoffs.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

In response to tompenny's comment:

In response to teejaytee70's comment:

Trading all our assets for Love would be a tragic blunder of epic proportions.  I truly believe Sullinger will not be far behind Love....if the Celtics ever use him properly, which they didn't last year.

Hilarious. I like Sully but Sully's best games as a Celtic are what Love averages per game...

Really?  Love's 2nd year in the league - 14 pts, 11 rebs.  Sully - 13 pts, 8 rebs.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

OK, food for some radical thought:

Luol Deng is not likely to resign in Cleveland.  Utah is way below the minimum salary requirement.  They will have to take on junk salaries just to get to the minimum required salary.  So how about trading Gerald Wallace to Utah for a trade exception (add #17 as incentive).

In Love deal, with Bognas, Babb and Johnson, the Celts can offer immediate $7M salary relief.  Then they have to sweeten the pot.  Phoenix here is a big competitor if Love will be open to going there.

The lineup of Rondo, Green, Deng, Love and Olynyk will be a very interesting lineup.  AB, Bass and others round up the rotation.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Thoughts from reading this thread: 

Durant may not be what we think. Couldn't even force a game 7 with no Parker too! Sad! Hes a great scorer, but honestly Westbrook and He may never get it done. They seem chokerish

swcond, I will gladly take a playoff appearance each season over tanking trying to find the next LBJ. The NBA title over the next 5-7 years will be won by LBJ, Durnat or a lucky team. With Rondo - Love and pieces we could be that team. 

Also, here's how I view team building... We could build through the draft a la Indy and waste 5 years just to end up not being good enough or we start with two talented players and go from there with luring FA-trades-etc... 

Gimme Love and the płayoffs next year. Even if we find the next star he won't be better than Durant or LBJ

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

Thoughts from reading this thread: 

Durant may not be what we think. Couldn't even force a game 7 with no Parker too! Sad! Hes a great scorer, but honestly Westbrook and He may never get it done. They seem chokerish

swcond, I will gladly take a playoff appearance each season over tanking trying to find the next LBJ. The NBA title over the next 5-7 years will be won by LBJ, Durnat or a lucky team. With Rondo - Love and pieces we could be that team. 

Also, here's how I view team building... We could build through the draft a la Indy and waste 5 years just to end up not being good enough or we start with two talented players and go from there with luring FA-trades-etc... 

Gimme Love and the płayoffs next year. Even if we find the next star he won't be better than Durant or LBJ

i 2nd this....

Sections
Shortcuts