Love in Boston

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

Re: Love in Boston

In response to teejaytee70's comment:

In response to Fiercy's comment:

In response to DrBoogiebone's comment:

+1

Exactly right.  If we go this route, we are a second round and out for the next 4 years and then we are back to where we are now.

Fierce, if this past draft has shown anything, along with our past chances of getting that "superstar" via draft, it's that we definetly should NOT pin our hopes to the draft for the next Lebron/Durant. Not that we can't get a diamond in the rough who will exceed expectations, like we have before (PP, Rondo). I'm just not into praying for losses all season long, then keeping my fingers crossed come lottery time only to be let down yet again. Have we not been let down enough? Love and Rondo is better then crossing those fingers for ping-pong balls that NEVER go our way. This past lottery really sucked the wind right out of my sails when it comes to building a young team through the draft. Too, I don't think we'll give up ALL our surplus of lottery picks for Love. I'm not sold on the Melo idea myself.

Here's the thing, after 3-4 years of getting eliminated in the playoffs, the Celts will be back to where they are at this point in time.

And that is searching for a solution to make it back to the Finals.

If you're going to tell me that you're fine with the Celts just making the playoffs every year then I won't argue with you because that's a valid point.

But I've been a Celtic fan for almost 30 years now and I'm really not into just seeing the Celts in the playoffs.

??? So, if we start to build a team around Rondo and Love, you already know that they would go no further then the 2nd round? Even though this would once again be an ideal player destination? To play with a playoff tried and tested, All-star, pass 1st PG and arguably the top PF in the league? Stockton and Malone 2.0. If I was a player, I'd rather come to Boston then a team like OKC. At least in Boston, I'd know I would get to see the ball a lot more. Good luck with Durant and Westbrook taking all the shots. Not to mention, we're a big market with a championship tradition (hence Loves' interest). I think we'd have really good players flocking here to fill up the other starting rolls in no time.

I understand all this is well and good in theory. Makes perfect sense ONLY if the dollars work out right. If Rondo and Love get too money hungry, and want the lions share, then I would agree with your assessment. But in todays NBA, stars are seeing that to make a championship run, they can't bog the franchise down with too hefty a contract. That's when we see who really cares about winning in this league.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

+1

Exactly right.  If we go this route, we are a second round and out for the next 4 years and then we are back to where we are now.

Fierce, if this past draft has shown anything, along with our past chances of getting that "superstar" via draft, it's that we definetly should NOT pin our hopes to the draft for the next Lebron/Durant. Not that we can't get a diamond in the rough who will exceed expectations, like we have before (PP, Rondo). I'm just not into praying for losses all season long, then keeping my fingers crossed come lottery time only to be let down yet again. Have we not been let down enough? Love and Rondo is better then crossing those fingers for ping-pong balls that NEVER go our way. This past lottery really sucked the wind right out of my sails when it comes to building a young team through the draft. Too, I don't think we'll give up ALL our surplus of lottery picks for Love. I'm not sold on the Melo idea myself.

Here's the thing, after 3-4 years of getting eliminated in the playoffs, the Celts will be back to where they are at this point in time.

And that is searching for a solution to make it back to the Finals.

If you're going to tell me that you're fine with the Celts just making the playoffs every year then I won't argue with you because that's a valid point.

But I've been a Celtic fan for almost 30 years now and I'm really not into just seeing the Celts in the playoffs.

??? So, if we start to build a team around Rondo and Love, you already know that they would go no further then the 2nd round? Even though this would once again be an ideal player destination? To play with a playoff tried and tested, All-star, pass 1st PG and arguably the top PF in the league? Stockton and Malone 2.0. If I was a player, I'd rather come to Boston then a team like OKC. At least in Boston, I'd know I would get to see the ball a lot more. Good luck with Durant and Westbrook taking all the shots. Not to mention, we're a big market with a championship tradition (hence Loves' interest). I think we'd have really good players flocking here to fill up the other starting rolls in no time.

I understand all this is well and good in theory. Makes perfect sense ONLY if the dollars work out right. If Rondo and Love get too money hungry, and want the lions share, then I would agree with your assessment. But in todays NBA, stars are seeing that to make a championship run, they can't bog the franchise down with too hefty a contract. That's when we see who really cares about winning in this league.

What did Stockton and Malone ever win?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

I want championships, not 5 years of mediocrity leading back to where we are now only with none of the assets that we currently have.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

I want championships, not 5 years of mediocrity leading back to where we are now only with none of the assets that we currently have.

So assets are a sure thing towards championships huh? Assets and crossed fingers.... let me know how that works out for you. Since you can tell the future, you should open up a shop in Salem.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

So assets are a sure thing towards championships huh? Assets and crossed fingers.... let me know how that works out for you. Since you can tell the future, you should open up a shop in Salem.

No, can't tell the future, but I can learn from the past.  What has Love done for Minnesota?  Nothing.  Zero playoff appearances in 6 years.  Love is the darling of pink hats and casual fans.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

No, can't tell the future, but I can learn from the past.  What has Love done for Minnesota?  Nothing.  Zero playoff appearances in 6 years.  Love is the darling of pink hats and casual fans.

....and another thing.  I haven't seen anything that proves that Sully can't be the next Kevin Love or 90% of what Love is.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

DrBoogie

Take the case of the Spurs.

They got Tim Duncan in 1997 and Duncan and the Spurs are in the Finals of 2014.

That's 17 years of being a contender.

Trying to win with Rondo is only a 5-year window.

Rondo will be 33 years old 5 years from now.

So you'd rather take a chance on landing the next Duncan so we can have a longer stint of winning? Taking a chance on Boston being 1 out of 30 teams to land the next superstar of the decade? Someone who could arguably be the "GOAT" at their position. Wow. It's kinda like graduating high school and playing Powerball instead of going to college, don't you think? I don't very much like those odds. Especially considering there may be no jackpot at all in most of those drawings. Just a couple $100 bills.

That's what I'm talking about Fierce. This "5-year window". Is this another thing you're sure that's going to happen? Or just a guess? My, we have a lot of future tellers on this board. Everything is not written in stone, and everyone's life is not the same. By your analogy, why aren't all #1 picks as good as Lebron? See what I'm getting at?  You don't know how all of this is really going to unfold. No one does. So don't pretend.

And I don't remember the Spurs being a contender for all of those 17 years dude. That's false. In fact, didn't they get knocked out in the 1st round, 2 years in a row once?

If we could be ensured of getting the next big star via draft, I'm on board. We've tried.... a few times. Didn't go so well.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

TJ - Love is the best PF in the game! What did KG do before he came to Boston?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticGreenLP. Show CelticGreenLP's posts

I can't understand not wanting to have a legitimate top 10-15 player who is entering his prime added to your team.  That is why teams tank...to maybe, hopefully add a guy like Kevin Love.  The Celtics could tank for the next 4, 5, 6 years and never get a player of his caliber.  

Yes, winning a championship is extremely difficult, Kevin Love isn't going to do it single handedly, but if you wait until you have the opportunity to draft the next Lebron or Durant you could be (and probably will be) waiting forever.  The real way you build a championship contending team is by making the most of every opportunity presented.  This is one of those opportunities, and Danny has to take advantage of it.  

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

So you'd rather take a chance on landing the next Duncan so we can have a longer stint of winning? Taking a chance on Boston being 1 out of 30 teams to land the next superstar of the decade? Someone who could arguably be the "GOAT" at their position. Wow. It's kinda like graduating high school and playing Powerball instead of going to college, don't you think? I don't very much like those odds. Especially considering there may be no jackpot at all in most of those drawings. Just a couple $100 bills.

That's what I'm talking about Fierce. This "5-year window". Is this another thing you're sure that's going to happen? Or just a guess? My, we have a lot of future tellers on this board. Everything is not written in stone, and everyone's life is not the same. By your analogy, why aren't all #1 picks as good as Lebron? See what I'm getting at?  You don't know how all of this is really going to unfold. No one does. So don't pretend.

And I don't remember the Spurs being a contender for all of those 17 years dude. That's false. In fact, didn't they get knocked out in the 1st round, 2 years in a row once?

If we could be ensured of getting the next big star via draft, I'm on board. We've tried.... a few times. Didn't go so well.

Come on, when did you start becoming a Celtic fan?

The Celtics won 1 championship the last 27 years.

Experience tells me the Bulls last won in 1998 with MJ and the Bulls have never made it to the Finals since.

Same with Houston after Olajuwon left.

Also the case after the Knicks made it to the Finals in 1999 and Indy lost to the Lakers in the 2000 Finals.

The Celts don't have to have the #1 pick just a lottery pick.

Continue to develop players like Sully, Oly, and Bradley.

Hopefully the Celts get lucky in the 2015 and 2016 draft.

The Spurs were always in the playoffs with Duncan, right?

Every time you have a Tim Duncan, you're always a contender.

History tells us that every year the Finals always has an MVP player playing in it!

And Detroit? Back to back Detroit?

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

Hey, I like Shakespeare. But the past is NOT always prologue. Kevin was all alone in Minny. In the western conference to boot. You gunna blame that on Kevin? Minny has no clue what they are doing. Never has.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to BCSP's comment:

TJ - Love is the best PF in the game! What did KG do before he came to Boston?

Come on, BCSP, Love is nowhere near KG's level.

KG was a 2-way player and an MVP player when the Celts acquired him in 2007.

Blake Griffin is the best PF in the NBA today.

Proof of this is Griffin was in the top 5 of the MVP voting this season.

Kevin Love is NOT an MVP type player.

ESPN ranks them: 1) Love 2) Davis 3) Griffin! 

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Seriously, Isiah Thomas and Joe Dumars are Hall of Famers!

How many All-Stars did that back to back Pistons team had?

That's why I asked, who is the 3rd superstar.

If you don't have a Lebron or a Durant, you better have 3 or 4 All-Stars.

How many current all stars do the Spurs have? 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

Seriously, Isiah Thomas and Joe Dumars are Hall of Famers!

How many All-Stars did that back to back Pistons team had?

That's why I asked, who is the 3rd superstar.

If you don't have a Lebron or a Durant, you better have 3 or 4 All-Stars.

My bad Fierce. It wasn't the back to back titled Pistons. Chauncey Billips, Ben Wallace, Rasheed Wallace, etc, etc. THOSE Pistons. That's who I meant.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

DrBoogie

Take the case of the Spurs.

They got Tim Duncan in 1997 and Duncan and the Spurs are in the Finals of 2014.

That's 17 years of being a contender.

Trying to win with Rondo is only a 5-year window.

Rondo will be 33 years old 5 years from now.

What a maroon

Clearly Rondo is not comparable to Duncan

Love is the elite PF in this scenario comparable to Timmy.

Duncan is 38, Love is 25, if you listen to what Fiercy is claiming, 17 years of a contender under Duncan means if the Celtics get Love they have 13 more years they could possibly contend.

Tony Parker will be 33 next year. He is the Rondo is this scenario. A 31-32 year old Parker and a 37-38 year old Duncan can be in back to back finals but a 33 year old Rondo and 30 year old Kevin Love will be watching their FIVE YEAR WINDOW close???

What a fool.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

In response to CelticGreenLP's comment:

I can't understand not wanting to have a legitimate top 10-15 player who is entering his prime added to your team.  That is why teams tank...to maybe, hopefully add a guy like Kevin Love.  The Celtics could tank for the next 4, 5, 6 years and never get a player of his caliber.  

Yes, winning a championship is extremely difficult, Kevin Love isn't going to do it single handedly, but if you wait until you have the opportunity to draft the next Lebron or Durant you could be (and probably will be) waiting forever.  The real way you build a championship contending team is by making the most of every opportunity presented.  This is one of those opportunities, and Danny has to take advantage of it.  

+1. Exactly my point.

Sections
Shortcuts