Love in Boston

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

Re: Love in Boston

In response to Fiercy's comment:

In response to DrBoogiebone's comment:

You consider Kevin Martin a star player? Perrenial All-Star? I don't.

Why did you intentionally leave out Pek and Rubio?

The Wolves had 1 star player in Love and 3 quality players, Rubio, Pek, and Martin.

Let me ask you this, were the Wolves considered a defensive team in Love's 6 years in Minny?

Kevin Love is a one-way player, just an offensive player.

You can't count on him to make a defensive in crucial stages of a game.

Neither could you count on Ray Allen to do that either. Ray was strickly uni-dimensional. Not 1 of those guys you mentioned playing with Love is a "star" player. The closest would be Rubio. Ala Jason Williams negative 2.0. I wouldn't consider any one of those guys an elite player in this league.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Washington Post:

With the NBA now dominated less by centers and more by forwards in the versatile mold of Love, the Lakers’ Pau Gasol, the Clippers’ Blake Griffin and Portland’s LaMarcus Aldridge, having a strong interior defense is critical to a team’s success.
    But a closer examination of Minnesota’s numbers show that Love is not necessarily a defensive liability. The Timberwolves rank seventh in the NBA in rebounds allowed per 100 possessions with 43.2, demonstrating the second-chance opportunities that Love eliminates. And although Minnesota is currently outside the playoff picture, its defensive rating of 102.8 ranks 12th best, making it one of just three non-playoff teams in the top 15.
    Ultimately, teams coveting Love’s potential arrival on the free agent market next year know what they are getting: a superior scorer and rebounder with pedestrian athleticism and defensive skills. But for teams fighting for relevancy in the NBA standings, a player of Love’s caliber is a worthy prize.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

BCSP and DrBoogie

For the record, I'm not against getting Kevin Love.

Getting Kevin Love is good for the Celtic fans.

It's like a moral victory for Celtic fans.

But I don't think the Celtics will win a championship with a Rondo-Love tandem.

That's all I'm saying.

Fierce - one thing we do agree on - in DA we trust! If it is a good deal for the Cs - DA will make it! 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to BCSP's comment:

[QUOTE]

Washington Post:

With the NBA now dominated less by centers and more by forwards in the versatile mold of Love, the Lakers’ Pau Gasol, the Clippers’ Blake Griffin and Portland’s LaMarcus Aldridge, having a strong interior defense is critical to a team’s success.
    But a closer examination of Minnesota’s numbers show that Love is not necessarily a defensive liability. The Timberwolves rank seventh in the NBA in rebounds allowed per 100 possessions with 43.2, demonstrating the second-chance opportunities that Love eliminates. And although Minnesota is currently outside the playoff picture, its defensive rating of 102.8 ranks 12th best, making it one of just three non-playoff teams in the top 15.
    Ultimately, teams coveting Love’s potential arrival on the free agent market next year know what they are getting: a superior scorer and rebounder with pedestrian athleticism and defensive skills. But for teams fighting for relevancy in the NBA standis, a player of Love’s caliber is a worthy prize.

So the Celts are just a team like the Bucks or Cavs?

Celtic fans will be content by just becoming relevant in the standings?

I thought the goal is winning a championship?

[/

The Cs, like every other NBA team, covet a player who is a "superior scorer and rebounder" 

A good defensive rebounder takes possessions away from opposing teams! 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

The Cs, like every other NBA team, covet a player who is a "superior scorer and rebounder" 

A good defensive rebounder takes possessions from opposing teams! 

Agree.

But Love has been scoring and rebounding, a lot, for the Wolves for 6 years now and the Wolves didn't once make the playoffs.

You also need to be good defensively.

So - you would walk away from Love? He is currently ranked the best PF in the game! He is young and available! 

You said yourself Boston is a tough lure for FAs! Well - it appears a highly coveted FA to be is about to fall in our lap!

AND based on the pics I have seen - he is impressed by the City!

You propose drafting unproven talent that may take years to develop -that may or may not bolt to greener pastures after their rookie deals expire!

Who is the bigger risk taker here! 

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

You're twisting the conversation. I'm not comparing those teams in that way. You asked what team has won a championship without a top level star, and I answered it. Point being, it can be done. Has happened once. Will happen again. Spare me the "if", "and", or "but" scenario. One can only speculate.

My point also is for the last 14 years, only one team was able to win a championship without having an MVP player on the team.

That's like the Powerball odds you were talking about.

All I'm saying is if you build through the draft, your window of opportunity is longer.

Just look at OKC.

They drafted Durant in 2007 and OKC was already in the Finals in 2012.

And OKC will continue to be a contender for many years to come.

They were lucky enough to get one of those once-in-a-decade players. You think we'll be that lucky? With the way the Ping-Pong balls bounce for us?

I'd LOVE to have that type of player too. It's just not realistic. Haven't you learned that yet? I think every other C's fan has. What are the odds of us landing "that guy"? No. Give me Rondo and Love, and we'll build from there. They wont be the only ones to take us to the promise land. I know you want another name. I don't have one. That doesn't mean one doesn't exist. Or maybe even 2, or 3 more. Detroit came very close to winning another title in 2005. It can be done. They weren't a fluke.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

So - you would walk away from Love? He is currently ranked the best PF in the game! He is young and available! 

You said yourself Boston is a tough lure for FA! We'll - it appears a highly coveted FA to be is about to fall in our lap!

AND based on the pics I have seen - is initially impressed by the City!

You propose taking unproven talent that will take years to develop -that May or may not bolt to greener pastures after their rookie deals expire! 

Who is the bigger risk taker here! 

For the record, Love is not a free-agent.

If the Celts acquire Love, it would be through a trade.

Love's contract expires in 2016.

If the Celts only give up Sully and the #6 pick for Love, I'd do that deal.

Fierce - I believe my post stated FA to be! In addition my earlier posts point to trade possibilities! 

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

They were lucky enough to get one of those once-in-a-decade players. You think we'll be that lucky? With the way the Ping-Pong balls bounce for us?

I'd LOVE to have that type of player too. It's just not realistic. Haven't you learned that yet? I think every other C's fan has. What are the odds of us landing "that guy"? No. Give me Rondo and Love, and we'll build from there. They wont be the only ones to take us to the promise land. I know you want another name. I don't have one. That doesn't mean one doesn't exist. Or maybe even 2, or 3 more. Detroit came very close to winning another title in 2005. It can be done. They weren't a fluke.

What are you talking about?

Paul Pierce was picked by the Celts at #10 and Pierce ended up becoming a Hall of Fame player.

Again, the Celts don't have to have the #1 pick.

What I don't want the Celts to end up is becoming like the Celtics of the 1990s.

Just gunning for the 8th seed!

Fierce - the great thing about all of your valid points - is DA knows this - AND - has thought through these scenarios 100 times, I am guessing! If DA goes all in for Love - he has a plan! 

In DA we trust!

Think of the other benefit to a K. Love trade - no GK on this board for several years! Lakers will be screwed!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

What are you talking about?

Paul Pierce was picked by the Celts at #10 and Pierce ended up becoming a Hall of Fame player.

Again, the Celts don't have to have the #1 pick.

What I don't want the Celts to end up is becoming like the Celtics of the 1990s.

Just gunning for the 8th seed!

Don't lose me here dude. I didn't say #1 pick. I was talking about finding that once-in-a-decade player in reference to your Durant comment. And what did we win with just Paul Pierce? Nothing. We had to get elite talent around him. What you want could and would probably take at least 10 years or more. And hey, the book isn't shut on Rondo. He just may very well end up in the Hall of Fame himself. Could happen if he continues on with his career like he has when healthy.

You know, Paul was never a clutch free throw shooter till the later part of his career. He always struggled at the line in the waning moments till he reached his 30's. Just saying....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtfanofcs. Show vtfanofcs's posts

Hey, I like Shakespeare. But the past is NOT always prologue. Kevin was all alone in Minny. In the western conference to boot. You gunna blame that on Kevin? Minny has no clue what they are doing. Never has.

Not true.

This season, Love had Kevin Martin who averaged 19 ppg.

Love, Martin, Pek, and Rubio and the Wolves couldn't even win 41 games.

And to think Minnesota did all that tanking.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

DrBoogie

Again, I'm not against Kevin Love to Boston.

All I'm saying is I don't think the Celts will win a championship with Love as the #1 option and Rondo as the #2 option.

Rondo has to be just the 4th option.

If the Celts can add Carmelo with Love and Rondo then that's a legit contender.

I don't disagree with any of that. But that's not "all" you were saying. You were also saying how you'd rather pass on Love and find our next super-star in the draft for the ideal scenario of a longer lasting championship run. That's VERY difficult to do my friend. Very difficult. A lot of luck involved. A crap shoot if you will. What I'm saying is..... is why bother when we possibly have one at our doorstep?  He's only 25-26! We got VERY lucky in landing Pierce don't forget. He dropped big time.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticGreenLP. Show CelticGreenLP's posts

DrBoogie

Again, I'm not against Kevin Love to Boston.

All I'm saying is I don't think the Celts will win a championship with Love as the #1 option and Rondo as the #2 option.

Rondo has to be just the 4th option.

If the Celts can add Carmelo with Love and Rondo then that's a legit contender.

I don't disagree with any of that. But that's not "all" you were saying. You were also saying how you'd rather pass on Love and find our next super-star in the draft for the ideal scenario of a longer lasting championship run. That's VERY difficult to do my friend. Very difficult. A lot of luck involved. A crap shoot if you will. What I'm saying is..... is why bother when we possibly have one at our doorstep?  He's only 25-26! We got VERY lucky in landing Pierce don't forget. He dropped big time.

+1! 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

To nobody in particular...

Love coming to Boston would entice Rondo to stay and vice versa, Love isn't coming to Boston if Rondo is leaving and their games would compliment each other nicely.  Hater's hate.

We'll have to give up something to get him beyond picks won't we?  Oly and/or Sully are redundant if we acquire Love.  Oly is the flavor of the week and his game is most similar to Love, I'm not a board cap expert but hopefully we could send one of our single largest contracts in the deal; Wallace or Green. 

Fav is the starting center, having a line up where 2-5 can shoot threes, suddenly all the pizzing and moaning about Rondo's shooting will be funny.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

The better Idea is to draft the next Lebron, Duncan or Durant in the next 3 drafts hopefully 2 of them to build around.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to tompenny's comment:

The better Idea is to draft the next Lebron, Duncan or Durant in the next 3 drafts hopefully 2 of them to build around.

the only thing with that...there is no lebron, duncan or durant in the next 3 drafts...well at lease i don't see it...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

Kevin Love is not the best power forward in the league regardless of what ESPN says.  I'd take Anthony Davis over Love all day long.

Sections
Shortcuts