Love would give the CAVs three MAX players when/if he re-signs long term...can they win a title with three max salaries?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celticsfan1984. Show Celticsfan1984's posts

Love would give the CAVs three MAX players when/if he re-signs long term...can they win a title with three max salaries?

If Love joins the Cavs, would he want a max deal to resign an extension after this season, or would he be the only "Big 3" member of the new CAVs to want/have to take less to win?  If Love re-signs a deal in the $15M-$18M range per year, then Cleveland would have three max deal players.  I was trying to figure what kind of team they could put around them with ~$56M tied up in three players.

With the Big 3 in Miami, they all took less than the max to leave more room to have a good enough supporting cast and couldn't last season.  Kyrie and LB are not doing that this time around - they got paid.  Here is how it would look with just their main players right now:

Lebron - $21M/yr

Irving - $18M/yr

Love - $16M/yr* estimated

Varajao - $9.7M/yr

Wiggins - $6M/yr* estimated

Bennett - $5.6M/yr

Thompson - $5.1M/yr

Waiters - $4M/yr

Haywood - $2.2M

The above list is $82M in total salary, so if we assume that two of the youngsters are traded away - Bennett and Wiggins to get Love and clear room, they are down to $71M.  They then have their exemptions to sign Ray Allen, Mike Miller, and whoever else comes cheap looking for a title.  Would be a damn fine core of LB, Irving, Love, Varajao and Thompson.  But would the bench be strong enough to compete for a title - Waiters/Miller/Allen/Haywood/Other vets? They definitely could not weather Love or Kyrie missing time like both have the last few seasons with that bench  Would be interesting and possible over a few seasons if they are willing to pay luxury taxes to go on a title run, which I am sure they would be.

Started watching the Celtics in 1984 when I was a kid, and have been a fan ever since...have watched them hoist four banners into the rafters in my time, and always cheering for more...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

Re: Love would give the CAVs three MAX players when/if he re-signs long term...can they win a title with three max salaries?

In response to Celticsfan1984's comment:

If Love joins the Cavs, would he want a max deal to resign an extension after this season, or would he be the only "Big 3" member of the new CAVs to want/have to take less to win?  If Love re-signs a deal in the $15M-$18M range per year, then Cleveland would have three max deal players.  I was trying to figure what kind of team they could put around them with ~$56M tied up in three players.

With the Big 3 in Miami, they all took less than the max to leave more room to have a good enough supporting cast and couldn't last season.  Kyrie and LB are not doing that this time around - they got paid.  Here is how it would look with just their main players right now:

Lebron - $21M/yr

Irving - $18M/yr

Love - $16M/yr* estimated

Varajao - $9.7M/yr

Wiggins - $6M/yr* estimated

Bennett - $5.6M/yr

Thompson - $5.1M/yr

Waiters - $4M/yr

Haywood - $2.2M

The above list is $82M in total salary, so if we assume that two of the youngsters are traded away - Bennett and Wiggins to get Love and clear room, they are down to $71M.  They then have their exemptions to sign Ray Allen, Mike Miller, and whoever else comes cheap looking for a title.  Would be a damn fine core of LB, Irving, Love, Varajao and Thompson.  But would the bench be strong enough to compete for a title - Waiters/Miller/Allen/Haywood/Other vets? They definitely could not weather Love or Kyrie missing time like both have the last few seasons with that bench  Would be interesting and possible over a few seasons if they are willing to pay luxury taxes to go on a title run, which I am sure they would be.

Started watching the Celtics in 1984 when I was a kid, and have been a fan ever since...have watched them hoist four banners into the rafters in my time, and always cheering for more...

would def be tough to get good enough players to fill that bench. I think it was a bit different in Miami bc you are taking less money but youre going to South Beach and not paying taxes. Easier sell.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celticsfan1984. Show Celticsfan1984's posts

Re: Love would give the CAVs three MAX players when/if he re-signs long term...can they win a title with three max salaries?

I am just baffled that nobody in the media brings up the three max contracts when talking about Love to the CAVs.  Once Love re-signs a long term max type deal, they would have ~$65M locked up in their top four players, including Varajao. That is a big deal.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

I am just baffled that nobody in the media brings up the three max contracts when talking about Love to the CAVs.  Once Love re-signs a long term max type deal, they would have ~$65M locked up in their top four players, including Varajao. That is a big deal.

[object HTMLDivElement]

What four banners have you seen?  Counting 1984, it's been 3!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celticsfan1984. Show Celticsfan1984's posts

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

Born in 1973, so I witnessed Bird's three and the most recent title...I really started watching them earlier than 1984 technically.  I really started liking them when Bird was drafted.  I'll change the signature to make it less confusing.  Thanks.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

What's laughable is you read ESPN article about Cleveland getting Love without using Wiggins....and it's like a done deal from the Cleveland set.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

Teams can win with 3 max players as long as they're willing to pay the price.

The repeater tax is a steep price to pay.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

Born in 1973, so I witnessed Bird's three and the most recent title...I really started watching them earlier than 1984 technically.  I really started liking them when Bird was drafted.  I'll change the signature to make it less confusing.  Thanks.

Born in 1954 so I've "seen" all of them...every one from the root to the fruit...

And to answer your question...sure, why not...the NBA is another year older and the competition sucks.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to croc's comment:

What's laughable is you read ESPN article about Cleveland getting Love without using Wiggins....and it's like a done deal from the Cleveland set.  

That IS nuts...but it's probably just their negotiating starting point

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celticsfan1984. Show Celticsfan1984's posts

In response to FierceBrand's comment:

Teams can win with 3 max players as long as they're willing to pay the price.

The repeater tax is a steep price to pay.

Yeah, they would be limited year to year on exemptions and such once Love signed...and would have to get vets to come for pennies chasing a title.

Started watching the Celtics in the 80's when I was a kid, and have been a fan ever since...have watched them hoist four banners into the rafters in my life time, and always cheering for more...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from romneywins. Show romneywins's posts

Most likely they would have a hard time putting together a good team and stay under the lux tax.

Sections
Shortcuts