Luke Harangody Signed

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dboss. Show dboss's posts

Re: Luke Harangody Signed

Harangody ..like the signing but honestly this kid may never make it in the NBA because he shoots the ball from his knees.  If no one is on him he can make em from the outside but this is NBA.  PG's will be blocking his shot..

dboss

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from HarryMangurian. Show HarryMangurian's posts

In Response to Re: Luke Harangody Signed:
    Harangody ..like the signing but honestly this kid may never make it in the NBA because he shoots the ball from his knees.  If no one is on him he can make em from the outside but this is NBA.  PG's will be blocking his shot.. dboss
    Posted by dboss

I am sure DA and Doc saw some potential in him or would not have wasted the pick. Heck, they waste #1 picks more than second rounders it seems.

But seriously, my gut tells me that he will have a similar career to Ryan Gomes (work within his limitations)

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In Response to Re: Luke Harangody Signed : Nor would they give a 2nd rounder a two year guaranteed contract. Accept the fact the Ainge and Doc know more about player potential than most of the fools on these boards ala aciemvp.
    Posted by Mployee8

yes people.  some dolts believe that hanragody will be the 6th man after davis will be traded away to find a back up 3.  

and other people believe that the best luke can do is fulfill the scal role on the team the next two years and erdan is an undertalented pantload who may achieve the heights of stinko vrankovic someday.... 

don't press the former because they also believe that erdan will be the back up 5 behind shak once davis is gone and play serious minutes too as that is the BRILLYINT emergency parachute if the harangody fails at the back up 4 and JON has to toil minutes playing that too.

all in all, between harangody and semi-pro erdin we are so stocked with 4/5 talent that it's like having..... jeff judkins and rick robey, nay.... wedman and kite, nope....... michael smith and joe kleine.....  erm, ed pickney and joe wolf, or.... brickowski and conlon......... or wait, i've got it........ hold onto your seats...... 

harangody / erdin is to celtic basketball this year as what larry sykes and todd mundt were to the team back in 95-96. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I don't think people are dismissing Haragody as a potentail player by saying he has D-league written all over him.  It's just that he is on a vet-laden team, and I can't imagine that he's gonna come in and immediately get minutes.  Would I like him to get minutes?  Why the hell not?  If the goal is to win 50-something games then why not get Harangody, Erden and Bradley some minutes to see if they can actually play, so that by the time the playoffs get here they are able to contribute? 

The issue is that Doc will not hand out minutes to anyone who he thinks didn't earn them.  And it's hard to earn minutes on a vet team that has "deep NBA playoff run or bust" as its goal.   

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jm02130. Show jm02130's posts

Harangody led the nation's strongest collegiate basketball conference in scoring and rebounding, going 23-13 in conference games.  Over his career, he scored more points than Kareem or Jerry West did in their careers-- by a fair margin.  In fact, only eight players in NCAA history scored more career points than Harangody.

And you want to put him in the D-league?  You may want to write him off because he's white and has a crew cut, but this kid is Leon Powe with a jumper-- and 3 point range.  He is a very good position rebounder. He will be a rotation player in the NBA, maybe not this year, but soon.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

What's wrong with the D. League?  The C's are currently filled at the 4 spot with K.G and Big Baby. Harrangody would be wasting away on the bench. The D. League is there for young players to get playing time for a season or so to develope their game.
        If Harrangody was drafted 4 or 5 years ago by the C's, he would get plenty of playing time much like Leon or Ryan Gomes did. Unless there's an injury at the 4 spot, Harrangody won't get any meaningful playing time. It is possible that Harrangody may be able to play the 3 spot against certain matchups. However his lack of foot speed will hurt the C's if he defends most small forwards.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jm02130. Show jm02130's posts

Well, let's see how it goes in the preseason.  I think Harangody will open a few eyes.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulliu. Show paulliu's posts

In Response to Re: Luke Harangody Signed : Doc on Harangody: “I don’t know,’’ he said. “He’s a rookie, but he can play, I can tell you that. He can shoot the ball and stretch the floor. He shot the ball extremely well in summer league from behind the NBA 3-point line, which I didn’t know he could do, honestly, watching him in college. I didn’t know he had the range. “He’s going to be a player in this league. He’s quirky offensively, and he had to figure out a way of scoring by not being dominant athletically. I love players like that, because that means they play with their heads. That’s the type of player that makes it in this league, so that will be good for us.’’
    Posted by Mployee8

"He's going to be a player in this league"?  High complements, particularly for a second rounder.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jm02130. Show jm02130's posts

Harangody should not go to the D-League for the same reasons that Glenn Davis Leon Powe and Ryan Gomes did not go to the D. League: they were too advanced.  Harangody will learn more going against Davis and Garnett in practice than he will in the D-League.

Harangody has a very cute offensive repertoire around the basket, even better than than Powe's. His achilles heel, if he has one, will be lateral mobility on defense.  Powe and Gomes had the same problem.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jm02130. Show jm02130's posts

IMHO Harangody has the potential to be considerably better than Powe or Gomes, neither of whom has improved much since leaving the Celtics (Powe because of injury, of course).  He might become better than Davis, too, but Davis is quite a good player (excellent post defender, which some folks overlook) who is also improving.

In both cases, Ainge has done an excellent job of getting players who can actually play in the second round.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from HarryMangurian. Show HarryMangurian's posts

IMHO Harangody has the potential to be considerably better than Powe or Gomes, neither of whom has improved much since leaving the Celtics (Powe because of injury, of course).  He might become better than Davis, too, but Davis is quite a good player (excellent post defender, which some folks overlook) who is also improving. In both cases, Ainge has done an excellent job of getting players who can actually play in the second round.
    Posted by jm02130

I am sure that Doc has plenty of input as well as to who gets drafted

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I believe that D.League players are considered roster players. I may be mistaken though.After Sheed is bought out, 1 roster spot will be available. Ainge usually likes to keep an open roster spot and for a good reason. Therefore I doubt if Gaffney or Lafayette will be signed. It would be better for these two guys to try out for another team or go to Europe to play.
    Posted by mem17
    Actually it would be impossible for a team to place 10 players on a D-League team and have them all on the roster. So it's not inconceivable that either Gaffney or Lafayette wind up playing for the Celtics D-league team.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYCelt. Show NYCelt's posts

Harangody could end up being Davis version 2; although he also adds some outside shooting they have very similar strengths.

My guess is he's insurance against Davis departure or injury to an aging veteran frontcourt.  Davis will be able to test the free-agent market again after this season and it's not inconceivable that the Celtics could end up moving him for value if Luke pans out, rather than dealing with adding to the team's salary cap woes.

If Harangody does end up spending some time in the D league that would be preferable to riding the pine and getting in less and less work as the season stretches out and the number of practices are reduced.

Regards

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from binbones. Show binbones's posts

LUKE... WILL SURVIVE... IN THE NBA... ON MATURITY & FUNDAMENTALS....ALONE...

ADD HIS.... LIMITED BUT QUALITY... OFFENSIVE SKILLS....

A 10 YEAR CAREER IS REASONABLY PROJECTED FOR THIS "IRISH" DUDE...

THE "ATHLETIC" TYPES ARE....."A DIME A DOZEN"...

BEAT L. A. ...BEAT L. A. ...BEAT L. A. ... 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bt33. Show bt33's posts

Given what was out there, and the limits imposed by the cap, the Celts did an admirable job of filling their roster with players who present them with a chance to contend. The problem of course is age, making them highly susceptible to injury, so the key is how healthy they can be at playoff time. This team is clearly built for the playoffs though. Yes, there are issues - melding two super quick point guards with an extremely slow front court and other aging players, etc., but Rondo in particular can obviously adjust to whatever style is needed... Harangody is limited athletically and is much more of a tweener than you would like (which is why he went in the second round). Where Powe and Baby Davis were/are undersized 4s, and have some athletic limitaions as well, both concentrate on picking up offensive rebounds and being available for dish penetration, using their strength, balance, and foot speed to take charges, body up, and gain good position on D. Davis has expanded his game a bit by developing a semi-dependable 10-15 foot game, but still has major trouble creating anything in the low post for himself because he is giving up a lot of inches and doesn't jump well (which is why he contsantly gets his shot blocked). Harangody will face similar problems because he can't jump and is at best 6 "8" (true, better than Davis's 6 "6"). Granted, you can't judge much by the summer league or even college play, but Harangody clearly demonstrates a good head for the game and his shooting range was impressive. His quick delivery combats the odd style a bit, though matching up against smaller/quicker forwards he's going to really struggle getting anything off. And the question arises, of course, who does he cover? Certainly not traditional 3s. Can he play post defense against athletic 6 "9"-6 "11" 4s? That will probably determine his future. Because if he can he can probably exploit these guys from the outside a bit. Yes, he is frighteningly close in body type and skill set of a Scalabrine (albeit with, what look like, better offensive skills) - the bulk of a 4 but lacking the 2 or 3 inches necessary to play the 4... Here's hoping he winds up on the end of the bench and gets a shot to play a bit here and there so we can find out... Still think the Celts are a player away (ideally, a Posey type from 3 or 4 years ago), but have a feeling, based on past history, Ainge will wait till mid-season to make a move. I'd take Fernandes if they are unable to find the right guy, although ideally you'd want someone who could replace T.A. and play 10-20 minutes of solid defense against the top 3s and big 2s in the league. I'm less worried about the need to get more offense as Robinson (who will be the 2nd units go-to-guy), Daniels can score and Wafer can shoot, though a bigger bench body who can get their own offense would also be nice. Seems likely we'll wind up with one or the other at best. Hopefully Rondo learns to shoot free throws and Garnett's knee holds out (and he returns to pre-injury form)...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

If he doesnt pan out in the NBA, he did graduate with a 2.84  and was highly respected as a student/athlete that should make him successfull in the "real world"...

20. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts