Magic picks his all time 5 on PTI

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Magic picks his all time 5 on PTI

I just watched Magic Johnson pick his all time starting lineup....he wouldn't put himself in there although he should be...with that in mind here it is (sort of)

PG Isiah Thomas

SG Michael Jordan

SF Larry Bird

PF Toss up between Tim Duncan and Kevin McHale

C  Toss up between Bill Russell and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

I said sort of because he couldn't make up his mind on the last two positions....how about that...?  three of the seven names he chose were Boston Celtic's.....just another feather in the cap of what we all know as "Celtic Mystique"...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Re: Magic picks his all time 5 on PTI

In response to Duke4's comment:

I just watched Magic Johnson pick his all time starting lineup....he wouldn't put himself in there although he should be...with that in mind here it is (sort of)

PG Isiah Thomas

SG Michael Jordan

SF Larry Bird

I said sort of because he couldn't make up his mind on the last two positions....how about that...?  three of the seven names he chose were Boston Celtic's.....just another feather in the cap of what we all know as "Celtic Mystique"...

Interesting he didnt pick himself

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

THE DUKE

I'm sure he was just being modest.....of note.....only one name from the current crop of NBA Players...five from the '80's era and, of course, Russell from the '50's/'60's.....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In response to Karllost's comment:

[QUOTE]

PG Isiah Thomas

SG Michael Jordan

SF Larry Bird

[/QUOTE]

Magic doesn't have to pick himself.

Knowledgeable fans will automatically include him in the top 5/6.

Its his party. Why invite himself.

Pud

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Magic

Jordan

Bird

Duncan

Russell

He almost got it right.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

Quite common for people to favor the players of their own youthful years. I guess its what is called the "Good old days Syndrome"

Seems

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to SeemsToMe's comment:

Quite common for people to favor the players of their own youthful years. I guess its what is called the "Good old days Syndrome"

Seems

Yeah, he basically picked his own era except for Russ and Duncan.  No way on earth Thomas belongs on that list.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

In response to Celtsfan4life's comment:

Magic

Jordan

Bird

Duncan

Russell

He almost got it right.  

Those were my picks Re: Malone.  Magic was being modest, on the other hand they did share a tender moment before a Finals game.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

[QUOTE]

Seems

Yeah, he basically picked his own era except for Russ and Duncan.  No way on earth Thomas belongs on that list.

[/QUOTE]

Thomas was the  placeholder for Magic.

Didn't they used to hug/kiss before the game?

Best friends....

Pud

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Magic

Jordan

Bird

Duncan

Russell

He almost got it right.  

Bingo.  +2

Nobody beats that team.  Solid defense. Amazing competitive chemistry. average height is almost 6'9". offense from every inch of the floor.   

I would just add, the best player in the world, LeBron as 6th man...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

Seems

Catfish

And in general, fans like the players,favor the players of their own generation which in turn lends itself to considerable generational bias.

Big Catfish fan when he was with the Yanks.

Seems

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

PG Isiah Thomas

SG Michael Jordan

SF Larry Bird

Sub Magic for Zeke and I agree. Though, as a huge McHale fan, I'd go with Timmy in all  honesty.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

[QUOTE]

Seems

Catfish

And in general, fans like the players,favor the players of their own generation which in turn lends itself to considerable generational bias.

Big Catfish fan when he was with the Yanks.

Seems

[/QUOTE]

Put down the bottle and pipe before you hurt yourself.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

THE DUKE

maybe we (they) should pick two squads......let's say a starting five and three bench players....many Laker fans should be able to relate to that as back in the '80's their "Showtime" team featured what many in the media at the time called the "great eight"....so two eight man rosters to hypothetically battle for supremacy...? ....just a thought....certainly LeBron, Kobe, and other contemporaries would be in the mix...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Always difficult to judge active players vs retired.. after time those memories start to fade and younger generations dont even know much about them other than reputation.... while the active player is always in headlines and talked about.

Just so difficult to pick the top 5... Russell was the greatest of all time, right? Then you think how can Wilt not be on that team... Do we think of those players in terms of todays game or what they were in their day??

What about building a team that would jell the best... if we had a running team how can anyone leave off DrJ?? Id take him over MJ or anyone else on the break.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skins and Heart. Show Skins and Heart's posts

Pick a team of 8. Pick anyone on this team but leave off Russell.

Build an opposing team with Russell and I'd bet the house on the Russell led team winning a 7 game series. When you think it's Russell with the next best 7.

For example.

Stockton
    Dumars
    Pippen
    Garnett
    Russell
    Karl Malone
    Grant Hill
    Olajuwon

Against ....

Magic
    Jordan
    Bird
    Duncan
    Kareem
    Wilt
    Lebron James
    Oscar Robertson

Looking to have not only the best players IMO but the best balanced teams. Hence Grant Hill in the Russell team. I'd love to have Michael Cooper in the Russell team but in all honesty I couldn't have him there. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

Always difficult to judge active players vs retired.. after time those memories start to fade and younger generations dont even know much about them other than reputation.... while the active player is always in headlines and talked about.

Just so difficult to pick the top 5... Russell was the greatest of all time, right? Then you think how can Wilt not be on that team... Do we think of those players in terms of todays game or what they were in their day??

What about building a team that would jell the best... if we had a running team how can anyone leave off DrJ?? Id take him over MJ or anyone else on the break.

Karl

Your below question says it all.

Do we think of those players in terms of todays game or what they were in their day??

Because the game has changed so much since 1949-50 comparing performances between generations is an exercise in futility without first doing a total evaluation of level of play for each era.

Seems

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Magic

Jordan

Bird

Duncan

Russell

He almost got it right.  

I agree 100%

Next 5:

Big O

kobe

LeBron

Malone

Kareem

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

Magic

jordan

bird

duncan

russell

robertson

kobe

lebron

mchale

kareem

honorable mention = Stockton & Olajuwon 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gravelten4. Show Gravelten4's posts

THE DUKE

I'm sure he was just being modest.....of note.....only one name from the current crop of NBA Players...five from the '80's era and, of course, Russell from the '50's/'60's.....

Funny...I read your post and thought...what is this guy talking about? One from the current crop of nba players. Who is he talking about?  I read Duncan's name 3 times before it struck me. Seems like he has been around forever and he is so unassuming and quietly great that I feel like he is from the 80's crew.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

Top 5

Magic

MJ

Bird

Duncan

Russel

second team

The big O

Wade

Lebron

KG

Chaimerlain

third team

Stockton

Dumars

Dr J

Malone

Jabar

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dirty52. Show dirty52's posts

Magic

West

Bird

Russell

Jabbar

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

Cousy, Sam Jones, Bird, Mchale and Russ.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[/QUOTE]

with age comes grace.  lebron will think he's the best at every position until he's 88 years old the way he thinks.  which is not unlike most of the young boys who come into the league and take 8 years to become men

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

When a player averages a triple double for  a season you have to be the best starting 5 ever conversation. Oscar Robertson was one of if not the best at his position of all time , actually he is the bbest 2 guard of all time.

Even though he is a despicable human being Isiah Thomas is definately a top 2-3 pg of all time. Isiah dominated the game like no small man has before or since. I was at abunch of games when Cousy played but I was 3-4 yrs old, so I don't count that. In my eyes it's either Isiah or Magic, I don't care Stockton had 100,000,000 assists.  Karl Malone made a great point on an interview this week when he stated that it makes more sense to pick an all time greatest bench too,kind of what Skins and Heart eluded to earlier.

My family is a basketball family and these kind of discussions happen frequently at BBqs,Holiday dinners etc. We break it down all kinds of ways; best or 10 pgs or SGs. Top starting 5s are cool but when you start talking top 10 of all time at a position most of the fun is remembering players that people don't always think of.

Sections
Shortcuts