Magic Punch Lakers in Grill!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Re: Magic Punch Lakers in Grill!!!

Some people on here with agendas as plain as the nose on my face have very short memories.  See, when the lakers won, I posted Congrats on a hard fought victory.  I also just posted I think the lakers are still the team to beat.  Yes, we had injuries, but we still should have won.  I don't think the lakers are very good right now - but all that could change by playoffs......I mean it's not like I never read how we "robbed the lakers in 2008" (THREE years ago) because Bynum was hurt.  Oh, no, no one ever brings that up anymore.

Congrats to the lakers for beating us last week.  Although I feel they are still the team to beat, I think we can take them in a seven game series, if it started now - after all, we would have HCA.  Hope that clears it up for people who only post on here to create trouble and have their own agendas!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Another little factoid - if things stay the same, and the lakers get #3 seed, they will have to play Denver (#6), Dallas (#2) then SA (#1) - if they all win.  So far, they are 1-4 against those teams....................THEN, they would have to play US (1-1) MIA (ugly0-1) or ORL (0-1).

Yes, we know, it's only the regular season, but it's still a very telling stat!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Re: Magic Punch Lakers in Grill!!!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Magic Punch Lakers in Grill!!! : Not embarrassed at all. The Lakers only allowed 89 points, so their defense was good enough. They just couldn't get the offense going today. And no one is going to confuse the Magic with a defensive juggernaut, so you'll understand if I'm not overly concerned with the loss. Those ultra-finesse canary yellow Lakers didn't have much trouble with your Celtics a few days ago, did they? I know, I know... your team was injured. :)
    Posted by FlobusMcNugget[/QUOTE]

Actually, it shows they got up for Boston and couldn't get up for Orlando. Speaks volumes.

If only the Celts had 21 free throws in the 4th qtr, right?  lol

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlobusMcNugget. Show FlobusMcNugget's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Magic Punch Lakers in Grill!!! : Actually, it shows they got up for Boston and couldn't get up for Orlando. Speaks volumes. If only the Celts had 21 free throws in the 4th qtr, right?  lol
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]
    I don't think too many people are expecting the Magic to come out of the East. So if they didn't "get up" for the game, as you suggest, then that would pretty much be par for the course this season with the Lakers.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

That's correct. Or in Game 7s at home when trailing in the 4th qtr and needing 21 free throws to win at home.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from atomic. Show atomic's posts

[QUOTE]What kind of guy follows a team when he knows inevitably the conspiratorial powers that be will make sure they lose? A simpleton, most likely.

i won't say games are fixed, but i will say the lakers get too much the benefit of the doubt from refs. after seeing the free throw disparity from the finals last year (L.A. made more free throws than Boston even attempted by far) and as tirico pointed out, the lakers are near the bottom in fouls called against them this year. add to the fact that kobe shows up refs more than anybody in the league, yet rarely gets a T, and i will say it takes a little more to beat the lakers than most other teams in the league. doesn't really bother me, just makes it more satisfying to see them lose.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I;d laugh if he's talking to me.  I am about as casual an NBA fan as there is.  Of the 4 major sports, the worst one.  He's the Lakers fan with no tradition or pro sports franchises to root for, other than hijacked organizations (Dodgers and Lakers).

No offense to the diehards.

Give me 1980s b-ball any day of the week.  I will say this Celts team plays defense.  That's always nice to see in May and June.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

^^^ Is this meant to be some sort of logical and coherent rebuttal?

Odd.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I'd ask you the same thing. Are you saying this guy who is apparently obsessed with processed "nuggets" resorts to insults when backed into a corner?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

I don't give to much about RS games. They are much about motivation and health.
    Play Offs are about game planing, adjustment and match ups.
    I fear the Lakers more than Orlando, cause we have bad matchups in the backcourt against LA. Against the starting 5 of Orlando we have good match ups, especialliy against Howard, Nelson (and Lewis last year).

Against the Lakers it will be on our entire front court. When KG, Perkins, Shaq and Jermaine or Erden are healthy we have a good chance. Otherwise we are in trouble. Against Orlando: Baby and Perkins against Howard is a enough.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlobusMcNugget. Show FlobusMcNugget's posts

What I said (as you can read in atomic's post) was "what kind of guy follows a team when he knows inevitably the conspiratorial powers that be will make sure they lose? A simpleton, most likely."

My opinion. That's all. And one shared by plenty others, I suspect.

To your points - the entire series was officiated atrociously, not just Game 7. There were plenty of awful calls made in the first six games, but that never gets discussed because it doesn't interest conspiracy theorists that are searching for excuses. With solid officiating, who knows if we even would have seen a Game 7. My point is that the officiating was consistent - consistently bad. That said, both teams were playing with the same deck.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[QUOTE]What I said (as you can read in atomic's post) was "w hat kind of guy follows a team when he knows inevitably the conspiratorial powers that be will make sure they lose? A simpleton, most likely." My opinion. That's all. And one shared by plenty others, I suspect. To your points - the entire series was officiated atrociously, not just Game 7. There were plenty of awful calls made in the first six games, but that never gets discussed because it doesn't interest conspiracy theorists that are searching for excuses. With solid officiating, who knows if we even would have seen a Game 7. My point is that the officiating was consistent - consistently bad. That said, both teams were playing with the same deck.

When lakers fans can admit the same thing about 2008, then I will let it go!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlobusMcNugget. Show FlobusMcNugget's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Magic Punch Lakers in Grill!!! : When lakers fans can admit the same thing about 2008, then I will let it go!
    Posted by hedleylamarr[/QUOTE]
    Just as you will always hear some Celtics fans try to blame the shortcomings of 09 on injury, you will hear some Lakers fans do the same with 08.

I'm not in either camp.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Magic Punch Lakers in Grill!!! : Just as you will always hear some Celtics fans try to blame the shortcomings of 09 on injury, you will hear some Lakers fans do the same with 08. I'm not in either camp.

Ah, 3 things, then I'm done with you:
    1.  You have NEVER said Bynum wouldn't have made a difference in 2008?  Never?  Not my recollection, sorry.
    2.  2008 was BEFORE 2009, last time I checked.  YOU used injuries as an excuse, WE  countered.
    3.  I am not in one camp or another, either.  You play the hand you're dealt.........and it looks like right now, the Celtics have the better hand - even you would have to admit that!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlobusMcNugget. Show FlobusMcNugget's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Magic Punch Lakers in Grill!!! : Ah, 3 things, then I'm done with you: 1.  You have NEVER said Bynum wouldn't have made a difference in 2008?  Never?  Not my recollection, sorry. 2.  2008 was BEFORE 2009, last time I checked.  YOU used injuries as an excuse, WE  countered. 3.  I am not in one camp or another, either.  You play the hand you're dealt.........and it looks like right now, the Celtics have the better hand - even you would have to admit that!!
    I've never said the Lakers would have won with Bynum and Ariza in 08. They would have made a difference, of course, but there's no knowing if it would have made a difference in the outcome, and there's no point in speculating.

True - 08 is before 09 and 10. Again, I personally never made these excuses in 08 you are talking about. Excuses are weak, regardless of who makes them or who makes them first.

Sure the Celtics are playing better ball so far this regular season. But the exact same thing could be said last season with the roles reversed, and it didn't seem to matter much when the playoffs rolled around. Celtics fans of all people should recognize this.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Magic Punch Lakers in Grill!!! : I've never said the Lakers would have won with Bynum and Ariza in 08. They would have made a difference, of course, but there's no knowing if it would have made a difference in the outcome, and there's no point in speculating. True - 08 is before 09 and 10. Again, I personally never made these excuses in 08 you are talking about. Excuses are weak, regardless of who makes them or who makes them first. Sure the Celtics are playing better ball so far this regular season. But the exact same thing could be said last season with the roles reversed, and it didn't seem to matter much when the playoffs rolled around. Celtics fans of all people should recognize this.

Okay, I am willing to give you the benefit of the doubt on the Bynum thing.  Sounds like you know that if he didn't get hurt, you wouldn't have Gasol.

About the role reversal - two things:
    1.  Celtics battled injuries all last year, lakers have been mostly healthy (I think they have a worse record since Bynum got back, but you can check that)
    2.  We lost to mediocre teams last year, but were still competitive against the elite teams.  We beat you in LA and beat CLE in CLE.  Lakers this year are NOT competitive against the elite teams so far............except beating us by 6 in our place, kudos for that. 

I just think it's cause for concern, that's all.  And I think lakers fans are lakers fans because they never worry.  Remember all the gloom and doom on this board last year?  lakers fans would never do that.........maybe it's time....all I'm sayin'.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlobusMcNugget. Show FlobusMcNugget's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Magic Punch Lakers in Grill!!! : Okay, I am willing to give you the benefit of the doubt on the Bynum thing.  Sounds like you know that if he didn't get hurt, you wouldn't have Gasol. About the role reversal - two things: 1.  Celtics battled injuries all last year, lakers have been mostly healthy (I think they have a worse record since Bynum got back, but you can check that) 2.  We lost to mediocre teams last year, but were still competitive against the elite teams.  We beat you in LA and beat CLE in CLE.  Lakers this year are NOT competitive against the elite teams so far............except beating us by 6 in our place, kudos for that.  I just think it's cause for concern, that's all.  And I think lakers fans are lakers fans because they never worry.  Remember all the gloom and doom on this board last year?  lakers fans would never do that.........maybe it's time....all I'm sayin'.
    That whole if-Bynum-didn't-get-hurt-the-Lakers-wouldn't-have-Gasol thing seems to be your personal go-to sports take on this board, and I want no part of it. It makes no sense to me.

Yes, the Lakers are playing far below their potential, and Laker fans are none too happy with it. But if you want gloom and doom, you'll have to visit a Laker board, because I'm not at that point yet.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlobusMcNugget. Show FlobusMcNugget's posts

I will say this, however. Before the season I never would have imagined Steve Blake for Jordan Farmar would be a step down. But so far that has definitely been the case. And where Gasol and Artest's heads are at is anyone's guess.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]I will say this, however. Before the season I never would have imagined Steve Blake for Jordan Farmar would be a step down. But so far that has definitely been the case. And where Gasol and Artest's heads are at is anyone's guess.

I think a lot of people told Laker fans that.  But they were too busy telling us how improved the Laker bench was.   You get past Odom and most people couldn't tell you who they have.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlobusMcNugget. Show FlobusMcNugget's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Magic Punch Lakers in Grill!!! : I think a lot of people told Laker fans that.  But they were too busy telling us how improved the Laker bench was.   You get past Odom and most people couldn't tell you who they have.
    Posted by OneOnOne[/QUOTE]
    Even you have to admit on paper it looked like a no-brainer of an upgrade. A career starter in Blake for a career backup in Farmar? 

Matt Barnes returning will help, but only to a point. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Magic Punch Lakers in Grill!!! : Even you have to admit on paper it looked like a no-brainer of an upgrade. A career starter in Blake for a career backup in Farmar?  Matt Barnes returning will help, but only to a point. 

A no brainer?   I would not characterize it like that.  I always thought Farmer was better than Blake.  Not sure what you saw in him.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Magic Punch Lakers in Grill!!! : Even you have to admit on paper it looked like a no-brainer of an upgrade. A career starter in Blake for a career backup in Farmar?  Matt Barnes returning will help, but only to a point. 

No, I said at the time that it didn't look like much of an upgrade.  Farmar was quick and had good hands.  He had fallen out of favor with the FO becuase he thought he should be starting..........and maybe he should have been.  So, they shipped him out, and brought in Blake "for the triangle".  Hasn't really worked.

About the "Bynum thing".  I could care less whether it makes sense to you or not - I did a ton of research on the topic and the bottom line is the lakers were not looking at Gasol until Bynum got hurt.  Whether you choose to believe that or not is your own business, but I am confident of my own research!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlobusMcNugget. Show FlobusMcNugget's posts

The Farmar situation was ultimately a lose-lose for both sides. JF thought he'd be a starter elsewhere - wrong. The Lakers thought they were upgrading the back-up point - wrong.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Didn't Perkins get hurt in Game 6 last year?

Couldn't Celts fans use the Bynum excuse for 2008?  We don't even though we know it would have made a big difference against a finesse Lakers team.

I think the only reasonable differentiator is the 4th qtr officiating severlely favoring the Lakers. This fact cannot be denied.

Just admit it, Flobus.  No 4th qtr in a Game 7 saw such a disparity if FTs granted to one team over the other in NBA history.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlobusMcNugget. Show FlobusMcNugget's posts

Bynum and Ariza were injured in 08. Garnett was injured in 09. Bynum and Perkins were injured in 10. Fuel aplenty for excuse makers. Take your pick, BBReigns.

The disparity had nothing to do with conspiracies and everything to do with overplayed, exhausted Celtics starters playing sloppy at the end of a grueling seven game series. 

Sections
Shortcuts