Major Records held by Boston Athletes -- Greatest Athlete SHUNNED by Boston.com

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jongrif851. Show jongrif851's posts

Major Records held by Boston Athletes -- Greatest Athlete SHUNNED by Boston.com

Today, www. boston.com posted pictures of 18 of Boston’s “great" athletes who hold various records within their respective sport. Russell, Brady, Clemens and Bourque among others were depicted. Certainly, all are deserving.

Unfortunately, they forgot not only Boston's GREATEST ATHLETE but also the World’s GREATEST ATHLETE!! 

Robert Gordon Orr, sometimes called "Bobby", is not only Boston's Greatest Athlete as evidenced by winning the NESN Boston Greatest Athlete Sports Poll last summer but he is also the world's Greatest Athlete, period!!! Sorry, Tiger, you are not even close! 

Orr holds eight, straight Norris Trophies as the Best Defenseman in the NHL. He holds the single-season point record for NHL Defensemen (why didn't this get him posted in the article along with Bourque??).More importantly, long, long before there was the "Tiger Slam" there was the "Bobby Slam". In 1970, the year that "Superman" (Orr -- in the greatest Sports Photo in Boston history) flew through the air after scoring the game-winning goal on May 10, 1970 to win the Stanley Cup for the Boston Bruins, Orr was awarded the Norris Trophy for Best Defenseman, the Hart Trophy as Regular Season MVP, the Art Ross Trophy as the NHL’s LEADING scorer (remember he was a defenseman!) and the Conn Smythe trophy as the MVP in the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Remember, Tiger’s Slam was accomplished over two seasons; Bobby accomplished his Slam all in one during the 1970 season.  

More importantly, what sets Bobby Orr completely apart from and ahead of ALL other great athletes is the sole fact that Bobby Orr completely changed how a MAJOR Competitive Sport (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, the PGA and Pro Soccer) are played. He did this SINGLE-Handedly and not only that but completely EXCELLED at the most rugged and fastest game on two feet. This is an INDISPUTABLE fact. Yet people keep wanting to say that Tiger Woods is somehow the world's greatest athlete. Woods excels at golf (occasionally -- when he isn't spitting ....) but he did nothing to "change" the game of golf! Not only did Bobby change the game back in the 60s but his effect is felt even today. You only have to look at Zdeno Chara, who owns the Hardest NHL shot and is a very aggressive, offensive-minded Defenseman and you see Orr's impact on the game. 

When Tiger Woods can sink a putt from 80 feet on the 18th green at Augusta with a 225 pound NHL Defenseman bearing down on him with 2 feet to go at approximately 20 MPH and still sink the putt, he might come close to the greatness of Bobby Orr. Remember one more thing, Orr doesn't have 100 women he's texting on his cell phone. 

They broke the mold when Bobby was born. If his knees had held out, Wayne Gretzky would still be playing trying to catch Bobby's records. 

SHAME on you, www.boston.com, for excluding not ONLY Boston's Greatest Athlete but the World's Greatest Athlete as well !!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneNation. Show OneNation's posts

Re: Major Records held by Boston Athletes -- Greatest Athlete SHUNNED by Boston.com

I don't know what to think. The only thing I can say is I consider only 3 major sports, and hockey isn't one of them. Why are you here? Isn't there a Bruins forum?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Re: Major Records held by Boston Athletes -- Greatest Athlete SHUNNED by Boston.com

I go. 1. Bill Russell 2. Orr 3. Teddy Ballgame. Everyone else is below them.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

Bobby Orr talk on a Celtics forum....who'd of thunk it????Undecided

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Bobby Orr was definitely one of the best athletes in Boston sports history, but I still consider Russell to be the best athlete in Boston history.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

The best comparison for Bobby Orr is Michael Jordan; both were the best individiual players ever in their sport, who were so great they both led decent teams to Championships by making everyone around them much better. And, to your point, both redefined how their sports were played (hockey for the better with playmaking defensemen, non like Orr of course and basketball for the worse, with isolation 1-1 play polluting a team sport)...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

I don't read drivel.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from walk2run. Show walk2run's posts

It must be All-Star weekend.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from walk2run. Show walk2run's posts

Hey jongrif851 I see this is your 3rd post.....may I remind you that this is the CELTICS FORUM. Most of us come to read about the Celtics (duh) , news on Celtics, thoughts on Celtics and stuff concerning BASKETBALL. Get with the program!!!

Sections
Shortcuts