Make A Trade or Blow it Up

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

Re: Make A Trade or Blow it Up

In response to BirdLewsBias' comment:

I'm wondering did the C's stash Darko and are monitoring him and plan to bring him back after the AS break.

It's just very strange that Ainge hasn't brought in any journeyman knowing that they lack size. Maybe it doesn't mean Darko is coming back but things seem too quiet when we're expecting a lot of noise.

Here's a good explanation of the Darko dilema;

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/darko-milicic-currently-nba-hiatus-attend-family-reminds-212809457--nba.html

I still think there are trades that can be done .... The Bucks provide a number of scenarios. Jennings wants out, they are unhappy with Ilyasova and want to move Dalembert and Gooden.

We could take Dalembert if they are willing to part with Jennings for Barbosa, AB & Bass (throw in a draft pick or Melo if needed) and put KG back at PF or we could trade the same trio for Ilyasova and leave KG at center and have a nice upgrade at PF. The Ilyasova trade would leave the cupboard bare for another trade to get a PG and we'd have to pick up a waived PG at VM or rely on the D League (Ugh!) ....

I also think Stuckey (Detroit) could be had and be a productive scoring guard ... then a VM big or Dalembert/Gooden if we still have assets to trade.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

Think about next year. KG Pierce, Terry all a year older, Bass still here Rondo and Sully coming off injuries.

ugly.

True!

That's why Ainge has to do something.

My heart sez make a deal....My logic sez, blow it up before its too late...

Their value will never be higher...

A good business man knows when to sell...either way I will watch them..

But I really think we can get some good returns and start the total rebuilding process..

We may still have a outside shot (wishfull thinking) at the playoffs depending on what we get..If not, well, a high pick is coming..unless its part of the deals made...

Does Danny have the courage to do what is best for the organization???

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

Teams are also thinking of the lux tax next year. Teams don't want to take on PP and KG's contracts. Heck Memphis took themselves right out of contention due to money. Ainge knows there will be plenty of guys available in the offseason and there may be a few amnesty guys as well.

Actually Pierce has a non-guaranteed contract next season. Meaning Pierce can be waived after the season and the team will only get a 5m cap hit. So it's not true that taking Pierce will hurt you financially.

He does. but if the Celtics are going to do that they should trade him now.  

Ainge has until next week to decide. 

Pierce can be waived before June 30. Beyond that his contract becomes guaranteed for the full 15.3m.

If he does'nt get traded by then, we stay the course...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

The closer it gets to the deadline the more teams become desperate. Ainge will wait until the 11th hour because the ball is in his court. Those teams are trying to improve and would like to get something instead of nothing.

yes...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

In response to Ortiz123's comment:

But I really think we can get some good returns and start the total rebuilding process..

We may still have a outside shot (wishfull thinking) at the playoffs depending on what we get..If not, well, a high pick is coming..unless its part of the deals made...

Tell that to the season ticket holders waiting for the playoffs!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I am sure that Danny could make this team better with a trade.  But does *better* mean he trades assets (Bradley, Melo, Green) for a vet that really puts the team over the top?  If he does that for a run at this year then *better* is a marginal choice to me.  Trading assets for an uprobable run at the title is a dubious plan.  I think I'd rather keep the young talent to develop or for future trade chips.   

The C's are either contenders or they aren't.  I don't believe they are.  So they either go with what they have and go as far as they can in the playoffs or they let teams know that KG, PP, Terry, Bass etc. are available and consider the offers they get.  They are in the unenviable position of not really being contenders but being good enough to be a 5-6 seed in the playoffs.   

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

In response to Mployee8's comment:

I'm wondering did the C's stash Darko and are monitoring him and plan to bring him back after the AS break.

It's just very strange that Ainge hasn't brought in any journeyman knowing that they lack size. Maybe it doesn't mean Darko is coming back but things seem too quiet when we're expecting a lot of noise.

Here's a good explanation of the Darko dilema;

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/darko-milicic-currently-nba-hiatus-attend-family-reminds-212809457--nba.html

I still think there are trades that can be done .... The Bucks provide a number of scenarios. Jennings wants out, they are unhappy with Ilyasova and want to move Dalembert and Gooden.

We could take Dalembert if they are willing to part with Jennings for Barbosa, AB & Bass (throw in a draft pick or Melo if needed) and put KG back at PF or we could trade the same trio for Ilyasova and leave KG at center and have a nice upgrade at PF. The Ilyasova trade would leave the cupboard bare for another trade to get a PG and we'd have to pick up a waived PG at VM or rely on the D League (Ugh!) ....

I also think Stuckey (Detroit) could be had and be a productive scoring guard ... then a VM big or Dalembert/Gooden if we still have assets to trade.

Hey thanks for the Darko article. It does explain why he is not eager to return to the NBA but I'm still don't know why Doc soured on him so fast after he lit it up in preseason, impressed vets like PP in practice, and he was so excited to play for a historic franchise like the Celtics in a city like Boston that remined him so much of Europe. I think either Doc and/or DA really dropped the ball with him.

I did like DA's offseason moves but I think he is still gun-shy about any in-season deals after the Perk trade and should never, ever mention the possible Bird, McHale, and Chief deals again because he's proved to be more sentimental than Red ever was by extending the big 3 window this much and fooling himself to think that today's conditioned athlete's with min playing time can last longer.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

In response to Mployee8's comment:

In response to Ortiz123's comment:

Tell that to the season ticket holders waiting for the playoffs!

SO YOU'RE SAYING SEASON TICKET HOLDERS DON'T WANT TO BE GOOD NEXT YEAR? WE CAN'T WIN IT THIS YEAR. NOT GONNA HAPPEN UNLESS LEBRON GETS HURT. SEASON TICKET HOLDERS KNOW THAT WE'VE GOT TO ACT SOON TO SAVE NEXT SEASON.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Fierce- not quite. First- Ainge will never blow it up, so take that off the table. Not after the Celts tried that not once, but twice, and got badly burned both times. Not gonna happen. 

Prior to the Barbosa injury, i thought we should stand pat unless Ainge got a great offer, for two reasons - thought we could do some damage in the playoffs, and Ainge needs to assess our team's value without Rondo in the mix in games that matter. But with Barbosa out, both points are moot. 

I believe Ainge is looking hard at a trade right now and that everyone on the roster he can get something of value from is on the table. But it's not just about a big or a shooter, it's about getting younger and helping this team in the long run. 

KG is problematic due to his no trade clause and his insistence to not be traded until Pierce is. Pierce would be harder to move at this point. But not impossible. I do think Ainge will make a GOOD trade in terms of getting value back but I don't think he's in fire sale mode right now. Team is playing an entertaining brand of ball and while you may believe that the team needs to make moves now, Ainge also takes into account the overall paying and viewing fan base. They are enjoying watching this team right now and that makes him more cautious. 

Trades are not easy in the NBA anymore. Look at the proof - how many headline making trades have happened so far? Making NBA trades at the drop of a hat is realliy a message board phenomenon...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

Some here think the Celts can't make a trade for various reasons.

I believe the Celts can still make a trade to improve the team.

This debate will go on until the trade deadline next week. But Ainge can't afford to not do anything. Keeping this team as is, no trades to improve the team, is worse than being a lottery team.

Why? 

Obviously this team lacks a big man and a shooter. So best case scenario is a 2nd round exit in the playoffs. 

Right now KG and Pierce are in demand. Their trade value is high because contending teams want them. This is an opportunity the Celts can exploit. Ainge can get some young players and high draft picks if KG and Pierce are both traded. 

Either help this team, by making a trade, or blow it up! 

Staying put and becoming a middle of the pack team is worse than being a lottery team.

The difficulty is that they do not have the chips now to get someone who will significantly improve this team.  I know on this board players like Bass and Lee have astronomically high value and could easily net LeBron James in a trade, but, in reality, they really don't have that much value and anything you get in return will not significantly improve our team.  I rally believe the only option is to blow it up now.  PP, KG, and maybe Green are the only players that could get something significant in return....and if you trade them then you are not going to be better than a middle of the road team anyway, so, the way I see it is you gotta blow it up now.

11. This post has been removed.