Making a case for Tony Allen...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Making a case for Tony Allen...

Ok, so I will admit, I am one that has been a little hard on T.A.  I have not started any posts on him, but when his name is brought up, I have said negative things, and mainly because I am the type of fan that concentrates on the players that are here. (I get that from watching the Patriots) 

So, thats why I get tired of people bringing up players not here.  I stated that because of his game 7 where the Lakers didnt guard him it left a sour taste for management to go on...  I admit against the Lakers , besides guarding Kobe, he is useless, because he couldnt get to the paint against their bigs and was turned into a jump shooter and he cant shoot.

But, in this series and against the Heat, he could have averaged 15 off the bench, because no big man on either team. 

I also miss the fact that when he came in, he was amped and ready to lock people down. He would clap his hands and hike up his shorts and put in the dirty work, and we have noone to do that now.....It just took until the playoffs for me to realize it, seeing other similar guys on other teams. 

Green will never be that, but I just want him to be effective at what he does.  I watched Carl landry who is another 3/4 tweener take advantage of his starting role and put in work against Gasol at 6'8" and I think why cant Green do this?  He has just as much if not more skill than landry.  He needs to let loose and I beleive he will on the road tommorow. He will turn the corner..but I am thinking in regards to T.A. , I owe him an apology.  We could def. use him in this series, breaking down the defense and slashing to the rim.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Re: Making a case for Tony Allen...

Have you watched TA in Memphis against San Antonio?  I have.  TA is giving them great minutes, good D and surprisingly good offense and hustle and athleticism in getting to balls.   I miss TA, as well.  We lost offense with TA, Perk, and Rondo....but TA and Perk did give us great D and hustle and "grit" which made the Celtics bench difficult to play against.

Battier is doing this, as well.  There are some players who just give that intangible.   As for Green, I keep saying that I love this kid.  I am a HUGE Georgetown fan and i watched him do great things.  BUT, the one thing that's ALWAYS been in his game (Georgetown, OKC, and now Boston) is that he's too passive and "let's the game come to him" when he should try sometimes to be more aggressive on offense and defense.   So, don't expect him to change - this is who he is and its why he'll always be a good, but not great player.  He doesn't have the fire that a Jordan, Bird, magic, Carmelo, Kobe, KG, Paul, Ewing, Barkeley, have that took them from good to great.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

I always thought TA was underrated by C's fans. He always made the game "chaotic" for the opposing offense.  Sometimes for ours too, yes, but always for the opponent.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

The Celtics stayed with him and after some lean years TA was terrific last year.  Doc must have wanted to keep him because he was in the rotation.  Watching him take on leadership and play so well must be very depressing for Doc and clearly DA must be regretting his move.  TA was a bargain at ten million for three years and he deserved it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from docc. Show docc's posts

I also miss TA.   He's a Celtic and now showing to be a leader on the Grizz like he showed @ OK State.   But, he still is up and down for the Grizz.   The game they won against the Spurs, he missed 2fts w/ a minute left, but was there during the fast break (can't remember if he scored or dished).   He's been still shooting air-balls, but he's been making big baskets (as long as he doesn't try n shoot 3s).   His inconsistency will drive you crazy (esp if you're the coach).   He still is a turnover waiting to happen if he is dribbling the ball and/or has to pass.
       My high anxiety can take the stability of D West much more!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Its too bad, because I think they based their negotiations based on his struggles against L.A., but like I said, for this knicks series, T.A. would be perfect, he seems to excel in those type of out of control games for some reason....and really L.A. might not be there....I think Danny did too much with the roster with L.A. in mind instead of forming a team to get out the east 1st.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from docc. Show docc's posts

I agree w/ you Shizzle.   Because of LA, DA/Papile wanter to get 'bigger'.   Too bad they didn't know how to get the team 'better'.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

I should add I like TA, but I liked marquis better and did agree that they were redundant.  Bad luck on quis for sure.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Cant blame for Danny for bringing back Quis, but he has been injury prone his whole career and the gamble didnt pay off, and that forced the trade, but Green is gonna have a breakout game Friday, I think.  He has two games of film to watch and the coaches have got to be trying hard to get him involved more...I think he is a road warrior. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In Response to Re: Making a case for Tony Allen...:
    [QUOTE]Its too bad, because I think they based their negotiations based on his struggles against L.A., but like I said, for this knicks series, T.A. would be perfect, he seems to excel in those trype of out of control games for some reason....and really L.A. might not be there....I think Danny did too much with the roster with L.A. in mind instead of forming a team to get out the east 1st.
    Posted by JayShizzle45[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  Getting bigger AND older wasn't the right move.  Bigger and younger, maybe, but not a bunch of old centers.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Obviously it was a mistake to bank on the two oneils.  One would have been sufficient.  I really think that getting shaq was more about marketing than anything to be honest.  None of this was so impactful until they decided to trade perk.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cshashaty. Show cshashaty's posts

IMO there is no case for Trick or Treat. He needed a new team and we needed to be rid of him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

Pulling up his shorts just illustrates why players should be wearing (shorts) them instead of culottes (those girly skirt/short combo). They're too long and look ridiculous - some guys' hems hit their socks - now doesn't that look silly? Wearing a skirt should be left to us golfers when putting. Our "husbands" do play too.  Signed, "Alice".

But seriously, Allen gave as must as he took and still does.  In the current series, Billups thus far has been a non-factor and would obviate the need for Allen and Billups has suckered him in the past anyway.  I'd rather have Green's potential than Allen's known qualities.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Shizzle,
    I wrote on March 8th, and you, Karllost and Miss Lemarr proceded to pound me;
    I am a big fan of Danny and Doc. But I always thought not fully developing TA was Doc's biggest mistake. Granted, he played well in last years playoffs, and the Grizz offered more money, but TA could have/should have been resigned with bigger minutes this year as the back up to Allen and PP...getting 25-30 minutes per game.
    He could be the premier on ball defender in the league, and he is capable of offensive production depending on game flow.
    TA was a long time coming, but now that he has "arrived", he is one who I wish hadn't got away

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I dont doubt it, Like I said this is more of an apology towards T.A.  Its not like I didnt like him,....I loved what he brought to the team, but I was just tired of hearing about him cuz he wasnt here....and I usually trust Danny so I figured there was a reason for him not coming back...and in hindsight signing Quis' was a bad move, but noone was asking for Tony in December when Quis was lighting it up on both ends..

I guess I also fell victim a little bit by going on Tony's last appearance which wasnt a good one....and I am not saying, should've , could've, I am just apologizing for not supporting him more on the threads...I was riding w/Green, and didnt notice we missed Tony until Green looked awful in the playoff game,. but to his credit, Green can be a pest on defense too as I saw him play Melo pretty good, just got bad calls, but ultimately if Green steps up, I wont miss Allen...cuz he is not a better defender than Tony, but a good one and much better offensively and has size!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

so much is said of Perkins toughness but nothing was said about TA upon his departure. He was the other willing to hard foul any opponent...I was and still am a big fan of TA..love his playing style as well..very streetball..

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

It is great to see Tony playing well. He wanted to get out from behind Pierces shadow and he has done that. The Greater number of minutes that he plays now suits him.

In his role with the Celtics he played great defense, but he made turn over after turn-over, and bone head play after bone head play on offense. As a reserve Tony was always a two edged sword.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Yawn..... I wish we had the TA thats playing for the Grizzlies...

Problem is, the TA we had for years and years was a disaster. He had a vrief window in last years playoffs of being very effective... tough as nails 1on1 defender and was scoring off the break with Rondo and driving to the bucket.

SO, we're looking at month of good play out of what... 3-4 years??

TA was a walking, talking turnover incubator.  He specialized being out of control. I always questioned why Doc kept sticking with the guy. Now that hes playing well for another month or two, all the TA fans come out of the closet.

TA was a coulda, woulda, shoulda for 95% of his time with the Celts... Good for him for doing so well now, but he didnt produce for us but for a very brief window during his time here.

Was it DOcs fault? TA's fault? Doesnt really matter... HE stunk for most of his time here. End of story.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

good point....I assum people are thinking I am asking for T.A. back...all I am saying is watching the playoffs, I miss his intensity guys like that bring to the table....but I didnt even watch the last memphis game...I still think we made the right move...its just Quis got hurt...but Green will is a better player...just needs to get in a rythm

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

TA's biggest fauilt in Boston was having the injury bug. When healthy and getting minutes, he played his role very, very well.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I'd agree with TA and the injury bug thought.  Every time he'd turn the corner and look like the valuable reserve he could be he'd get hurt.  And injuries led to limited minutes, which for TA was bad since he needed consistent minutes to be a peak performer.  Limited minutes meant limited value and led to Doc looking for other options. 

Same thing can be said of D. West.  You can see what a healthy DW could do for this team, but unfortunately for him, his all-out play leads to a lot of injuries.  If healthy, he adds a lot of versatility to the 2nd unit.   

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

[QUOTE]Yawn..... I wish we had the TA thats playing for the Grizzlies... Problem is, the TA we had for years and years was a disaster. He had a vrief window in last years playoffs of being very effective... tough as nails 1on1 defender and was scoring off the break with Rondo and driving to the bucket. SO, we're looking at month of good play out of what... 3-4 years?? TA was a walking, talking turnover incubator.  He specialized being out of control. I always questioned why Doc kept sticking with the guy. Now that hes playing well for another month or two, all the TA fans come out of the closet. TA was a coulda, woulda, shoulda for 95% of his time with the Celts... Good for him for doing so well now, but he didnt produce for us but for a very brief window during his time here. Was it DOcs fault? TA's fault? Doesnt really matter... HE stunk for most of his time here. End of story.

Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE]

Nothing different from what he is doing in Memphis than what he did in Boston statwise. Dont cover things up like that, you dont like the guy or his game just say it.. Nobody in the C's team played Kobe like he did..oh well yea, James Posey...but here, check it yourself. And actually statwise he was ahead of James Posey as well...

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/tony_allen/career_stats.html

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]TA's biggest fauilt in Boston was having the injury bug. When healthy and getting minutes, he played his role very, very well.
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

I definitely agree with you about Tony Allen and injuries.  Many Celtics fans didn't like TA because he was always injured.  When he was healthy he was a great player, but many only remember the many times that he sat on the bench
    because he was injured.  I really miss him and wish he was still with the Celtics. 

Sections
Shortcuts