Marcus Smart Gets It

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Marcus Smart Gets It

Did anyone just see the little intro presser for Smart or Young? Smart #36 Young #13

Smart gets it. He knows where he is. He understands the pride that comes with playing for the city of Boston and the organization as a whole.

This guy is gonna be the emotional leader of this team. Its all natural with him. He's just got that fire in this game. He just has this IT factor about him that cant be denied. I love him.

Young is a very shy and quiet kid it seems. But, how can you blame him.... he's not even 19 and just over a year ago he was still probably tearing up AAU in HS. Now he's been on a UK team that didn't meet expectations in the reg. season then made a huge run in March with HIM being a HUGE key to that. and now, he's a 1st round pick an playing in the NBA, a millionaire. I can see why he's so quiet. He's a kid still

Smart- what's not to love..

Young- just a kid, fierce on the court, quiet off of it.. no problem

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

Re: Marcus Smart Gets It

Agree now we have to get rid of a Rondo.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

Did anyone just see the little intro presser for Smart or Young? Smart #36 Young #13

Smart gets it. He knows where he is. He understands the pride that comes with playing for the city of Boston and the organization as a whole.

This guy is gonna be the emotional leader of this team. Its all natural with him. He's just got that fire in this game. He just has this IT factor about him that cant be denied. I love him.

Young is a very shy and quiet kid it seems. But, how can you blame him.... he's not even 19 and just over a year ago he was still probably tearing up AAU in HS. Now he's been on a UK team that didn't meet expectations in the reg. season then made a huge run in March with HIM being a HUGE key to that. and now, he's a 1st round pick an playing in the NBA, a millionaire. I can see why he's so quiet. He's a kid still

Smart- what's not to love..

Young- just a kid, fierce on the court, quiet off of it.. no problem

Terrific intro presser... and yes... Smart really gets it.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/2014/06/celtics_introduce_2014_draft_picks_marcus_smart_and_james_yo.html?p1=Topopage:Carousel_lead_linklist

Pud

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

Rondo has to go !

For a big bad man !

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Lots and lots and lots and lots of energy........

WALTHAM, Mass. -- It's been a dizzying four days for Marcus Smart since the Boston Celtics selected him with the sixth overall pick in the 2014 NBA draft. But Tuesday morning it was time to punch the clock for the first time as members of the team's summer roster gathered for the first of three two-a-day sessions at HealthPoint.

"These last couple of days have been a whirlwind," Smart said. "It’s been a lot of celebration, excitement and hype, but now it’s time to finally get back on the court and put the work back in. That’s what we do, put in work. And it’s time to get back to work."

Smart smiled while noting it wasn't too much different than what he was used to at Oklahoma State, except "you don't have to go to class."

The Celtics' youngest players and roster hopefuls did attend Basketball 101 on Tuesday morning while going through a morning session heavy on play installation, drills and off-court strength work.

"I wouldn’t call it class. I love basketball," Smart said. "It’s not as boring as going to class. It’s fun, coming out here and learning things and doing what you love to do."

Smart said the team ran him at the point guard spot during installation, but said he'll be ready to play either guard spot when summer league games start Saturday in Orlando. Celtics assistant coach Jay Larranaga, tasked with running the summer squad, liked the energy Smart brought to the floor.

"Marcus is just a really enthusiastic team player, brought a lot of energy to this practice, and we anticipate him bringing a lot of energy to every practice," Larranaga said.

Celtics second-year big man Kelly Olynyk offered high praise for Smart as well.

"He’s a great player," Olynyk said. "I saw a couple workouts when he was here [before the draft]. He’s got lots of energy, lots of enthusiasm, works real hard. His skill is definitely there for this level. I think it’s only going to keep getting better. He’s really eager to get in the gym all the time and I think he’s a guy with a great attitude, great energy, and definitely his hard work will pay off."

Smart said he hasn't had a chance to talk with either of Boston's veteran guards -- Rajon Rondo is out of town, while Avery Bradley is now a restricted free agent -- but Smart closed out Tuesday's morning session by shooting with Phil Pressey. The two are familiar with each other, having both played high school basketball outside of Dallas.

"I’ve known [Smart] since he was younger, coming up," Pressey said. "We’ve just been in contact with each other. It’s kind of crazy that we’re here on the same team. I would’ve never thought of that. But best of luck to him. Hopefully we can start this thing off right."

What were Pressey's impressions of Smart's first practice?

"He did real well," Pressey said. "He’s anxious to get out there, show the coaches what he can do, just like I was last year. We’re just out here trying to get better and get ready."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to puddinpuddin's comment:

WALTHAM, Mass. -- It's been a dizzying four days for Marcus Smart since the Boston Celtics selected him with the sixth overall pick in the 2014 NBA draft. But Tuesday morning it was time to punch the clock for the first time as members of the team's summer roster gathered for the first of three two-a-day sessions at HealthPoint.

"These last couple of days have been a whirlwind," Smart said. "It’s been a lot of celebration, excitement and hype, but now it’s time to finally get back on the court and put the work back in. That’s what we do, put in work. And it’s time to get back to work."

Smart smiled while noting it wasn't too much different than what he was used to at Oklahoma State, except "you don't have to go to class."

The Celtics' youngest players and roster hopefuls did attend Basketball 101 on Tuesday morning while going through a morning session heavy on play installation, drills and off-court strength work.

"I wouldn’t call it class. I love basketball," Smart said. "It’s not as boring as going to class. It’s fun, coming out here and learning things and doing what you love to do."

Smart said the team ran him at the point guard spot during installation, but said he'll be ready to play either guard spot when summer league games start Saturday in Orlando. Celtics assistant coach Jay Larranaga, tasked with running the summer squad, liked the energy Smart brought to the floor.

"Marcus is just a really enthusiastic team player, brought a lot of energy to this practice, and we anticipate him bringing a lot of energy to every practice," Larranaga said.

Celtics second-year big man Kelly Olynyk offered high praise for Smart as well.

"He’s a great player," Olynyk said. "I saw a couple workouts when he was here [before the draft]. He’s got lots of energy, lots of enthusiasm, works real hard. His skill is definitely there for this level. I think it’s only going to keep getting better. He’s really eager to get in the gym all the time and I think he’s a guy with a great attitude, great energy, and definitely his hard work will pay off."

Smart said he hasn't had a chance to talk with either of Boston's veteran guards -- Rajon Rondo is out of town, while Avery Bradley is now a restricted free agent -- but Smart closed out Tuesday's morning session by shooting with Phil Pressey. The two are familiar with each other, having both played high school basketball outside of Dallas.

"I’ve known [Smart] since he was younger, coming up," Pressey said. "We’ve just been in contact with each other. It’s kind of crazy that we’re here on the same team. I would’ve never thought of that. But best of luck to him. Hopefully we can start this thing off right."

What were Pressey's impressions of Smart's first practice?

"He did real well," Pressey said. "He’s anxious to get out there, show the coaches what he can do, just like I was last year. We’re just out here trying to get better and get ready."

Thx for posting. Hopefully his maturity, adversity and work ethic will set him apart from the other Marcus we drafted out of UNLV 10 years ago. That didnt end so well and they are very similar on paper.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

around here we like PGs with an efficient shot outside of fifteen feet. in fact, we damn well insist on it. good thing marSmar has a sweet shooting touch we may all look forward to.

bp

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

WALTHAM — He was drafted a little more than a week ago, and he’s spent just three days’ worth of practice with the Celtics’ summer league entry. But Marcus Smart believes he’s already established his presence as a leader.

“Definitely,” the No. 6 overall pick said yesterday. “I’ve always grown up feeling like a leader. These guys embrace it and they allow me to be a leader, so it’s starting to get easier for me.”

Assistant Jay Larranaga is running the show for the summer set, but Smart’s bigger boss, Brad Stevens, has been keeping tabs on the situation.

“Leadership can show itself in a lot of different ways,” said the C’s coach. “There’s guys that never say a word that lead well. There’s guys that are very loud that lead wrong.

“But then you’ve got a guy like Marcus who really shows himself well in all of his work and has a good vocal about him. He just has a natural ability to be what would probably be defined as a guy that a lot of people would say, ‘That looks like a leader to me.’

“And what I’ve seen, he certainly has that ability. That’s his reputation. But, you know, leadership is not something that’s gained in two days. It’s gained through your everyday walk and how you do things, how consistent you are.”

Stevens expects Smart will continue to lead in whatever ways present themselves — by example, verbally, etc.

“Sure,” the coach said. “Does that mean that he has to officially be titled a captain? Does that mean that he has to be officially looked at as a leader by everybody? No. But he can do everything right. He can promote positive energy. He can give to others. That’s what leaders do. You can serve others.

“There’s so many different ways to lead. I think we all get caught up with personality being the No. 1 trait of a leader, and he’s got a great personality. But there are other things that go into it.”

Can’t rush Young

James Young, the other first-round selection by the Celtics in the NBA draft (17th overall), will be making the trip to Orlando for summer league, but there’s still some question about whether he’ll participate in the games, which begin tomorrow and end next Friday. The club still is being cautious with the 6-foot-6 swingman, who suffered a minor neck injury in a recent car accident.

“He did some more stuff (Wednesday) as far as non-contact on the bike, and he’s continuing to do some of that stuff,” said Stevens. “But I haven’t been given a timeline on it, and obviously, hey, he was in the car accident a couple of weeks ago.

“It’s summer league. We want to be very, very smart about this with him. He’s anxious to play. He’s antsy. He wants to. But at the same time, I want to be cognizant of the big picture.”

Keep it simple

Stevens has some simple goals for the trip to Florida and the five games and two full practices.

“Progress toward getting better in the big picture,” he said. “Continuing to have the young guys make progress on both ends of the floor, both in their individual game and in style of play.

“Certainly the non-contract guys is where you start with the evaluation — how they fit and how they stand out with things they do individually.”

Larranaga echoed that plan, saying, “Starting to develop the habits that will make us successful during the year. That’s offensively, that’s defensively, that’s approach to the game, approach to practice. I think the players have done a good job so far of that — and I would like to win, as well.”

The Celts already had begun practice in Florida last year when Stevens was back here holding his introductory press conference. Things are bit more calm this time around.

“Obviously night and day,” he said. “When I came here last year, I really didn’t want to interfere at all. And I’m trying my best to not do that again, but we’ve all been together a year, and . . . it’s all progress within our system now. That’s a really good thing, and that’s the benefit of having some continuity.” . . .

The Celts open play tomorrow morning at 11 against the Miami entry. Smart is looking forward to it.

“Even though it’s summer league, it’s still going to be a big deal because it is my first game, and you’re going to be playing against pro competition,” he said.

++++++++

My take:

Its been a week since the draft... and no contact between our designated leader, Captain Rondo and newbie MSmart.

No "Welcome aboard... this is your captain speaking" from R9R.

No "Good luck... look forward to playing with you."

Apparently Rondo is... ahem.... "out of town."

So who will fill the leadership vacuum?

Brad is hinting at it already.

Pud

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sycophant123. Show sycophant123's posts

Meanwhile Jeff Green and Young are Bff's and text each other constantly.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In response to sycophant123's comment:

Meanwhile Jeff Green and Young are Bff's and text each other constantly.

But that's because Young is more of a two guard.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

KyCeltic,

Are you at all troubled by the incredible lack of size the Celtics have.  Sullinger is short for a power forward barely six eight in shoes, Rondo, Smart, AB, Pressey, and talk of Isiah Thomas.  Your most talented players are midgets and your bigger players are your least talented. Prescription for a worse record next year is all I can see.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In response to concord27's comment:

KyCeltic,

Are you at all troubled by the incredible lack of size the Celtics have.  Sullinger is short for a power forward barely six eight in shoes, Rondo, Smart, AB, Pressey, and talk of Isiah Thomas.  Your most talented players are midgets and your bigger players are your least talented. Prescription for a worse record next year is all I can see.

I agree with you 100%.  I don't know what Ainge is doing or waiting for, we've been trying to get a center for two years now and still have nothing to show for it. Maybe we are going to tank again this year. I hope not, it didn't take me long to get tired of tanking.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

I will bank on Smart than Rondo --- Ainge deliberately drafted Smart so he has plenty of leverage in disposing Rondo for a big one. Losing Rondo with Smart in Celtics uniform, was the best thing. He'll dangle Rondo in the swamp for a big 12 footer gator.

Smart moved by Ainge 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to BaileyPowe's comment:

around here we like PGs with an efficient shot outside of fifteen feet. in fact, we damn well insist on it. good thing marSmar has a sweet shooting touch we may all look forward to.

bp

Good thing Rondon't has such good friends across the NBA who will do anything to come here to play with him...er, FOR him.....er...where are they all BTW? I don't see any of them here!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:

In response to BaileyPowe's comment:

bp

Good thing Rondon't has such good friends across the NBA who will do anything to come here to play with him...er, FOR him.....er...where are they all BTW? I don't see any of them here!

Yes, I see that too.  And which playdon't are they doing it for?  Taking minimal money to play with that playdon't.  Lets hear it.  I am all ears.

Or is it safer to just spew this clown act all over the place?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

ORLANDO -- The games won't start counting for real for another few months, but Marcus Smart already admitted to feeling a few butterflies as he made his professional debut for the Boston Celtics on Saturday afternoon during Orlando Summer League play.

"First half, I'm not going to lie, I was nervous a little bit," Smart said following a scoreless first half that included an 0-for-4 shooting line and two missed free throws. "It was my first pro game with a new group of guys. It was a little nerve-wracking."

Luckily for the Celtics, Smart's nerves did not last past halftime, and the guard settled down to score 10 points in the second half. The 20-year-old also added a game-high five steals to help Boston defeat the Miami Heat 85-77 in the team's summer opener at the Amway Center.

Smart spoke about how his teammates helped him get comfortable as the game progressed.

"Coming to the bench everyone was just saying, 'Just do what you do. Just play ball and have fun.' And that's what I did," Smart said.

"He definitely slowed down," Kelly Olynyk said of Smart's second-half play. "He let the game come to him, he didn't force anything. He was real good in the second half for us, not only offensively, but defensively. He got to the line, made some shots and plays, and defensively caused some havoc. He was really good for us."

The No. 6 overall pick added five rebounds, three assists and a team-high eight free throw attempts in the win. Despite an overall off shooting night (2-for-8 from the field), Smart's performance in all facets of the game earned him plenty of accolades from Celtics summer league coach Jay Larranaga.

"He plays with a tremendous intensity," Larranaga said. "He's a great teammate. He showed that from the beginning. He was a big part of why we played so well as a team on both ends of the floor. He had some great help defensive plays you wouldn't expect a 20-year-old to be able to do, but he has a really good idea of team basketball, which is really exciting for us."

The Celtics elected to play Smart alongside point guard Phil Pressey for the majority of the contest, which allowed Smart to split time between playing off the ball and handling point duties when Pressey left the floor. It was a situation that the rookie didn't mind at all once he got into the flow of the game.

"Felt comfortable at both really," Smart said of playing both guard spots. "We have a great guard with Phil, so they decide to put me at the 2, which I was totally fine with that. Got to get out in the open court, let me use my athleticism and physicality so I was fine with that, but I was also fine with playing the 1 when Phil needed a break."

That versatility should help Smart continue to shine throughout the week as he asserts himself in the Boston backcourt.

"I think [Smart's] an all-around player," Larranaga said. "He's about winning, I think is what you see. He's not about one thing or another thing. Like any young guy, he has a lot of stuff to work on, but the really exciting thing is that he wants to win."

Read on for more notes from Saturday's action:

DEFENSE STANDS OUT
    With the addition of a top-rated defender in Smart to a talented summer league roster, the Celtics turned heads on Saturday with their defensive effort. Miami was limited to just 32 percent shooting from the field and committed 25 turnovers, 15 of which came on steals from Boston.

Smart spoke about his commitment to that end of the floor after the game.

"I was born and raised playing defense. Every team I played with was a defensive-minded team first before offense," Smart said.

Larranaga also pointed to the team's stellar communication on the back lines of their defense as a major positive in the win.

"We were worried about [communication on defense] going into the first game," Larranaga admitted. "We felt that was the one thing we hadn't done well in practice, communicating our coverages, talking more. Part of that is the relationship you have with your teammates. Colton [Iverson], Mike [Moser] and Kelly were great in the game."

Larranaga added: "We talk about how having a defensive DNA. We want every player putting on a Celtics jersey to think defense first, and the offense will take care of itself."

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from flashman. Show flashman's posts

Did anyone watch the Summer League game against the Heat? Sure ,Summer League does not mean a great official season, but I saw Ball movement, team defense and hustle.  That poor choice at #6 had 5 steals and was a beast on defense. Don't expect a playoff win in 15 but the Celtics are Light Years ahead of the Lakers. headly has not been right since a Bush was in the White House so give Danny time to do some real building. All you people screaming for Oden or Howard should stop and let the man who played basket ball make the choices.

Sections
Shortcuts