Mark Cuban Know Something We Don't?

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

Re: Mark Cuban Know Something We Don't?

The more I watch Howard the more I wonder if he is the type of player that can carry a team like Shack , Russell, or other great centers.  I agree he has had his moments but the guy has been surrounded by good players that he was responsible to make better, but did he make the players around him that much better?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Maryngary,
    Howard if on the Celtics with players like Garnett, Pierce and Ray would become that type of player. Whether Howard sees that is the question.  Most likely he does not.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In Response to Re: Mark Cuban Know Something We Don't?:
    [QUOTE]The more I watch Howard the more I wonder if he is the type of player that can carry a team like Shack , Russell, or other great centers.  I agree he has had his moments but the guy has been surrounded by good players that he was responsible to make better, but did he make the players around him that much better?
    Posted by maryngary[/QUOTE]

I, too, don't think Howard can carry a team on his back and make them all play better.  He is NOT Bill Russell.  But that would be the beauty of the Celtics....he wouldn't have to.  Rondo would make HIM better and same with a short period  with KG and Paul and Jeff Green.  By the time KG finally left, a new free agent or draftee would be here.

Danny and Doc know to use a player for their strengths and that's why this Big 3 came together so fast......they all got to contribute what they were good at (KG got to play D and rebound but wasn't asked to be the leading scorer which is not his strength, for example).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

However, I think its a very long shot that he a) doesn't get traded to someone else this year and b) Orlando doesn't do a sign and trade at theend of next year and c) that when he becomes a free agent he picks the Celtics.   

I hope it happens, but I would say the odds are low for us.

Come on, Danny, work some magic (no pun intended)!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom. Show proftom's posts

I have to agree, I wonder if Howard can carry a team by himself. It takes 3, but if all your money is goingto 1 that leaves no money for 2 and 3 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

take the big 3 out of the picture. howard will not make a decision based on playing with 3 old men for 1 year. he will make it based on the other young talent on the team. so what do we have to offer DH, other than doc rivers? rondo. jeff green. bass? some young untested rooks. that's not a lot to draw a guy like DH in. that's why going after paul was so important. that's why trying to land both DH and D. williams would be important. DH probably ain't coming here to play with a PG that other teams don't have to guard outside of the painted area. rondo's play this year could change that, but i'm not holding my breath just yet.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Why does HoopsWorld say Brandon Bass has a team option and Hoopshype say he has a player option?

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]take the big 3 out of the picture. howard will not make a decision based on playing with 3 old men for 1 year. he will make it based on the other young talent on the team. so what do we have to offer DH, other than doc rivers? rondo. jeff green. bass? some young untested rooks. that's not a lot to draw a guy like DH in. that's why going after paul was so important. that's why trying to land both DH and D. williams would be important. DH probably ain't coming here to play with a PG that other teams don't have to guard outside of the painted area. rondo's play this year could change that, but i'm not holding my breath just yet.
    Posted by kaktug[/QUOTE]

We all agree he's not coming to Boston.  He won't see the C's as a destination for a host of rational reasons (at least very rational from his point of view).

That truth aside, do you think he's wrong?  Do you see any logical reasons to come to Boston if you were him?   Do you see any arguments Danny can use to make the sales pitch?  I do, but I'm wondering if you see any positives or if you agree with the way Howard thinks?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lhtak. Show lhtak's posts

[QUOTE]If Dwight is not traded this season, the Celtics will have a shot at convincing Dwight to come to Boston. C - Dwight Howard PF - KG (sign for less money in 2012) SF - Pierce SG - Ray (sign for less money in 2012) PG - Rondo 6th - Bass Draft Pick - Austin Rivers This post will drive GK/Rico nuts!  Ha Ha
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

Let me add a small change, trade Rondo for Gasol (your idea), and sign Deron. So the line up would look like this;
    D Howard/KG/Gasol - C/PW; share the mins to keep legs fresh.
    Derron W - PG
    Pierce - SF
    Ray - SG

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mark Cuban Know Something We Don't? : Let me add a small change, trade Rondo for Gasol (your idea), and sign Deron. So the line up would look like this; D Howard/KG/Gasol - C/PW; share the mins to keep legs fresh. Derron W - PG Pierce - SF Ray - SG
    Posted by lhtak[/QUOTE]

Lets do it today.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

[QUOTE]The more I watch Howard the more I wonder if he is the type of player that can carry a team like Shack , Russell, or other great centers.  I agree he has had his moments but the guy has been surrounded by good players that he was responsible to make better, but did he make the players around him that much better?
    Posted by maryngary[/QUOTE]

Dude - Shaq and Russell were entirely different players.  Shaq, for most of his career, was an offensive power where as Russell was a great defensive power.  And Russell had plenty of great players around him.

Howard is more like Russell in that he is a defensive force.  The long term issue for Howard with the Cs is that Howard and Rondo aren't enough to win.  And Howard won;t come here if it's him and Rondo with a bunch of aging all stars.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Rationally, Boston could be the best destination for Dwight Howard. If Orlando does not trade him this year, then he'll either have to re-sign with the Magic (which seems unlikely) or choose between Boston and Brooklyn. Are there any other teams with sufficient cap space next off-season?

If it's between Boston and Brooklyn, the Celtics would be poised to win a championship immediately with the addition of Howard. Garnett, Allen and Pierce at 50% of what they were in 2008, plus an in-prime Rondo, Bass, Pietrus and Green  would still be better than any other team, except maybe Miami. Long-term, Brooklyn and/or Orlando could be better than Boston but if Howard wants to win right away, Boston would be his best choice among possible free agent suitors. His best chance would be in Year 1. After that, Garnett and Allen (especially Garnett) would be too old to offer much help.

To my knowledge, Dallas does not have sufficient cap space to sign Howard without unloading some contracts, nor do the Bulls, Clippers, or Lakers. That's why it's so critical from a Boston fan's perspective to hope for Howard to remain on the Magic all year. It's the only way the Celtics have a decent chance at landing him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]Rationally, Boston could be the best destination for Dwight Howard. If Orlando does not trade him this year, then he'll either have to re-sign with the Magic (which seems unlikely) or choose between Boston and Brooklyn. Are there any other teams with sufficient cap space next off-season? If it's between Boston and Brooklyn, the Celtics would be poised to win a championship immediately with the addition of Howard. Garnett, Allen and Pierce at 50% of what they were in 2008, plus an in-prime Rondo, Bass, Pietrus and Green  would still be better than any other team, except maybe Miami. Long-term, Brooklyn and/or Orlando could be better than Boston but if Howard wants to win right away, Boston would be his best choice among possible free agent suitors. His best chance would be in Year 1. After that, Garnett and Allen (especially Garnett) would be too old to offer much help. To my knowledge, Dallas does not have sufficient cap space to sign Howard without unloading some contracts, nor do the Bulls, Clippers, or Lakers. That's why it's so critical from a Boston fan's perspective to hope for Howard to remain on the Magic all year. It's the only way the Celtics have a decent chance at landing him.
    Posted by davidap[/QUOTE]

All good points, except 2:

1. Orlando won't wait until the end of the season because they know that when they lose him, they get nothing.  So, better to trade him this year before the trade deadline.

2. If he did last, he's such a big draw that I see other teams unloading players to create space.  Dallas, especially, would be in a good position to clear space.  They don't have that many long term contracts and I don't think they've used their amnesty yet.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]Rationally, Boston could be the best destination for Dwight Howard. If Orlando does not trade him this year, then he'll either have to re-sign with the Magic (which seems unlikely) or choose between Boston and Brooklyn. Are there any other teams with sufficient cap space next off-season? If it's between Boston and Brooklyn, the Celtics would be poised to win a championship immediately with the addition of Howard. Garnett, Allen and Pierce at 50% of what they were in 2008, plus an in-prime Rondo, Bass, Pietrus and Green  would still be better than any other team, except maybe Miami. Long-term, Brooklyn and/or Orlando could be better than Boston but if Howard wants to win right away, Boston would be his best choice among possible free agent suitors. His best chance would be in Year 1. After that, Garnett and Allen (especially Garnett) would be too old to offer much help. To my knowledge, Dallas does not have sufficient cap space to sign Howard without unloading some contracts, nor do the Bulls, Clippers, or Lakers. That's why it's so critical from a Boston fan's perspective to hope for Howard to remain on the Magic all year. It's the only way the Celtics have a decent chance at landing him.
    Posted by davidap[/QUOTE]

Just checked and I believe that Dallas has a $8M team option on Odom.  So, they don't exercise than and they are left with $32 or $33M in committed contracts.  Plenty of salary room.  I'd make them the front runners if Howard made it to the free agency period without being traded.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mtrax. Show mtrax's posts

Why would Dwight Howard want to play with a bunch of 30+ year old players?
    They don't have a young core of players that will be competitive for years.
    The same is true for Boston.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]Why would Dwight Howard want to play with a bunch of 30+ year old players? They don't have a young core of players that will be competitive for years. The same is true for Boston.
    Posted by mtrax[/QUOTE]

So that rules out LAL and DAL, too?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

I agree - Dirk should not WANT to be there.  But, Dallas will have plenty of room, a great stadium and warm weather climate, and the ability to pull in another top free agent.  Plus, Dirk has a few good years left while KG has one or two at reduced effectiveness.

But, all that is moot. The real issue is that Howard already listed Dallas as one of the places he would be willing to be traded to and sign.  So, that fact plus the cap space they'll have are the biggest reasons they would be in the lead.

Celtics, by the way, have a better young core than Dallas - Rondo, Jeff Green, Bass, Moore, Johnson, 2 draft choices, and cap room.   I think we'd be able to offer a brighter future.  The aging veterans just provide a better bridge than other teams but our future is bright as well.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In response to "Re: Mark Cuban Know Something We Don't?": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mark Cuban Know Something We Don't? : The only possible way that I see him coming to Boston is if we sell him the idea that it takes 3 AS caliber players minimum to be a serious contender for the title..........we should have enough cap space to sign 2 AS caliber people to go along with Rondo and Pierce....KG and RA sign for minimal amount (although I can't see KG playing for minimum.....he sure doesn't need the money but maybe if he sees another title run with him as a tutor and supporting cast) tie that in with Doc...........then I believe that we could get a sufficient bench because players would want to come to us again..........I know it is a real push but this is the only way I could see Dwight coming here Posted by damfuno[/QUOTE] I agree. Those would be my selling points, as well. I might add that the Celtics would not try to make him carry the scoring burden nor the defensive burden by himself. We'd try to get the ball to him in positions where he can more readily be successful, something Doc and Rondo are definitely good at and defense would be important highlighting one of his strengths unlike others might try to do. Small chance, but still a chance!

25. This post has been removed.