Mavs Hammer Fakers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icon11. Show Icon11's posts

Re: Mavs Hammer Fakers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In Response to Mavs Hammer Fakers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:
    Aint it great?
    Posted by OneOnOne

Always fun. what was going on with Kidd?  He was hitting the bottom of the net like he was World B Free tonight.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

In Response to Mavs Hammer Fakers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:
    Aint it great?
    Posted by OneOnOne

No :P

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In Response to Re: Mavs Hammer Fakers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:
    In Response to Mavs Hammer Fakers!!!!!!!!!!!!!! : No :P
    Posted by RUWorthy

sorry

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

I am not sorry.  Get solace on a Laker BB.  We all want them to lose every game here.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from gocharles. Show gocharles's posts

I guess the referees couldn't do anything to keep the Fakers in the game last night. The shots were dropping in from downtown Dallas.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlobusMcNugget. Show FlobusMcNugget's posts

Just as they did with the Clippers, the Lakers checked out last night. Not sure the Mavs beat them so much as the Lakers handed it to them with their lethargy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Just as they did with the Clippers, the Lakers checked out last night. Not sure the Mavs beat them so much as the Lakers handed it to them with their lethargy.
    Posted by FlobusMcNugget

Naw don't give the Mavs any credit.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlobusMcNugget. Show FlobusMcNugget's posts

In Response to Re: Mavs Hammer Fakers!!!!!!!!!!!!!! : Naw don't give the Mavs any credit.
    Posted by OneOnOne

The Mavs have never amounted to much. They've always had their moments of good play in the regular season only to fade away with little or no fight when the playoffs roll around. They'll get respect when they earn it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

lakers lost the game in the 3rd quarter.  Seems to be a pattern.............can't blame ALL those 3rd quarter meltdowns on lethargy.  Maybe they miss Matt Barnes......:)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Posted by FlobusMcNugget

Not just the Clippers, Flobus.  The number of teams that LA has lately layed down for is growing. 

With the facile schedule LA has had so far, they should be a heck of a lot better than their record.  They've lost 13 games, are 6 back of SA in the loss column, and worse, only three losses separate 2nd place from 6th place.  That's LA through New Orleans.  And let's be honest; LA should have about a 6-8 game lead on New Orleans.  They don't.  LA will not win the 1 seed going into the playoffs.  SA is going to widen that gap by another 3-5 games by the time this season's over.

When LA has to come play some real basketball with Boston, Orlando, Miami and Chicago, it's going to get even worse.  LA beat Chicago in LA, but got killed by Miami in LA.   

But you still won't give the teams that beat them any respect?  LA is not only not going to catch SA, they're going to get dropped to the 3rd spot soon. 

Hubris is a bi***. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Have said this before, my worry has always been February. We play Boston twice, have some very hard games prior to going out on a road trip though the Eastern Conference.

Denver will not be easy on Friday
    Then Utah. Boston on the 30th.

Then hello February, which is our make or break for the regular season.
    Immediately following Boston have Houston. Should beat Houston but it's coming off Boston which will make that game a hard one to win.

Play San Antonio on the 3rd before the road trip.

First games are the hardest. New Orleans, Memphis. Then Boston again. The night after Boston we're in New York. Then after a rest day it's Orlando.

Hardest part of the season without a doubt.

I wouldn't say it's lethargy as to why we're losing. It's more mental from where I see it. I know players talk about winning 3 titles in a row. But mentally do they want to go though the necessary work to win another title. Guys are waiting for Bryant to win games on his own which doesn't happen as much as it used to.

Not saying we won't make the Finals. It'll be an achievement similar to Bostons last season if we do. It's still however a long season and anything can happen.

Imagine if the Clippers make the play-offs in the West in 8th? Potentially the Spurs could lose to them in the first round with the type of ball that the Clippers are currently playing.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

I am not sorry.  Get solace on a Laker BB.  We all want them to lose every game here.
    Posted by concord27

:P Do you know how many people there are on Laker boards who lack basic knowledge on the history of basketball and are close minded? I have no wish to try to educate them. Name calling can get a bit too much.

0-82 would be a unique achievement in NBA history. Don't think it would be possible. If it happened to us Stern would probably have a fit. Or he wouldn't care.

If we ever go that bad I hope to the Basketball Gods that there's another Tim Duncan in that years draft. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

I have no problem with you ruworthy.  You are articulate and civil.  I just meant it is a given most of us want the Lakers to lose every game.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlobusMcNugget. Show FlobusMcNugget's posts

In Response to Re: Mavs Hammer Fakers!!!!!!!!!!!!!! : Not just the Clippers, Flobus.  The number of teams that LA has lately layed down for is growing.  With the facile schedule LA has had so far, they should be a heck of a lot better than their record.  They've lost 13 games, are 6 back of SA in the loss column, and worse, only three losses separate 2nd place from 6th place.  That's LA through New Orleans.  And let's be honest; LA should have about a 6-8 game lead on New Orleans.  They don't.  LA will not win the 1 seed going into the playoffs.  SA is going to widen that gap by another 3-5 games by the time this season's over. When LA has to come play some real basketball with Boston, Orlando, Miami and Chicago, it's going to get even worse.  LA beat Chicago in LA, but got killed by Miami in LA.    But you still won't give the teams that beat them any respect?  LA is not only not going to catch SA, they're going to get dropped to the 3rd spot soon.  Hubris is a bi***. 
    Posted by soups

I'd be more concerned if I hadn't seen this before. For whatever reason, after winning titles in the past the Lakers have had serious problems with focusing on the regular season. 

Aside from that, the only possible issues the team would be suffering from are age and chemistry, because the team is hands down more talented than last years'. And I'm not ready to buy into age or chemistry being major issues quite yet.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Lakers look like Celtic last year - just not enough interest in regular season.  They'll be one of the two best in the west come playoff time.  Problem is, without home court advantage, I'm just not sure they'll pull off getting through multiple series.  Celts did it last year, but we didn't have to contend with Dallas and San Antonio playing this well.   Last year's Orlando and Cleveland teams were pretenders as we proved.  This year is harder (and its why the Celts need more home court advantage series this year).   LA isn't going to have that if they keep this up and it will hurt them come playoff time.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

Lakers look like Celtic last year - just not enough interest in regular season.  They'll be one of the two best in the west come playoff time.  Problem is, without home court advantage, I'm just not sure they'll pull off getting through multiple series.  Celts did it last year, but we didn't have to contend with Dallas and San Antonio playing this well.   Last year's Orlando and Cleveland teams were pretenders as we proved.  This year is harder (and its why the Celts need more home court advantage series this year).   LA isn't going to have that if they keep this up and it will hurt them come playoff time.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life

When Manu or Parker or both go down as they invariably will the Spurs will not maintain home court advantage.

The west is better and that hurts the Lakers in terms of homecourt.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

I don't think cleveland or orlando were pretenders.  I just think we were that much better.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

I don't think cleveland or orlando were pretenders.  I just think we were that much better.
    Posted by cole-ely

I would love for someone to start a thread that would define terms - what is a contender and not a pretender?  What defines a player as great as opposed to good as opposed to serviceable or journeyman, etc.

If there was a way for us to use terms and be better coomunicators it would cut down on a bunch of the stuff that goes back and forth.

Somehow the two time defending champions who were missing their starting center 3 years ago that otherwise may be three time defending champions are the Fakers.  I understand the name and I understand the rivalry but I sometimes get confused when people use great, phenomenal, and other such descriptions which in my opinion could not be farther from inaccurate.  Rondo is somehow a great point guard but will not even go down as one of the best of his generation.  Blake Griffin is phenomenal but has played in 41 games.  There are any number of geniuses in the league that somehow think erf is the planet they live on, forf is the quarter after the third, yoimean is punctucation that every sentence should conclude wiff and so on.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Dudder I completely agree with you, the terms great and phenomenal are thrown around way too much.

Best to use those kind of terms when a player has finished their career. However there are a very few exceptions where those terms can be used when a player is still active.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Dudder, if we defined the terms, not everyone would agree.  Look at the "all star" debate.  Everyone has a different definition of what's an all star.  You think you can gain agreement on the definition of "great"?   its opinions and that's what the Board is about.

On Parker and/of Ginobli going down, there are a couple of things to remember.  Yes, they've had injuries the last 2 years, but traditionally, its only been Manu with injuries because he played so much ball.  This is a year he did NOT play ball with other teams.  Also, SA is no different than Celtics, Lakers, Dallas, Bulls, etc.  Yes, they'll have sprained ankles and strained knees.  But,  SA is playing their big star (Duncan) a LOT less minutes so he doesn't have the stress of other years.  So, they'll lose a few games due to injury, but they are moving out so far ahead that I now question if anyone in the West can catch them.  If they have a 8 to 10 game lead over others, they will not be caught - even with a few injuries.  Currently, they are 6 in front of the Lakers and 9 in front of 4 other teams and they've played FAR more +.500 teams than the Lakers.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

Dudder I completely agree with you, the terms great and phenomenal are thrown around way too much. Best to use those kind of terms when a player has finished their career. However there are a very few exceptions where those terms can be used when a player is still active.
    Posted by RUWorthy

I saw a brief overview today that showed that tomorrow is the 5th anniversary of Kobe's 81 point game but somehow Perk is going to be a great center someday and that somehow Rondo averaging 12 points per game for his career is an elite point guard.  Kobe was a great player coming out of high school and has done nothing to disprove that... Perk was a project coming out of high school as was Rondo coming out of KY after two years and they have done very little to disprove that.

In my humble opinion elite point guards enter the league as such and very few ever enter the elite group after not being drafted as such.

Blake Griffin is already a great player, I don't care what anyone says - on the other hand there are those that still think that it is inevitable that Big Al will become a perennial all-star.  I will gladly forward you the email that I exchanged with Jackie MacMullen where she said Al Jefferson will be an all-star every year - routing for the laundry and not being objective can bite one occasionally.  This will be the first year Jefferson's team does not go through the lottery and not so coincidentally not because of him but maybe in spite of him...  he has improved about 3 percent since entering the league the same day as Dwight Howard who has been a perennial all-star and actually played in the playoffs and is a perennial MVP candidate.

In my opinion great is great and rarely evolves over time.  Did Duncan become great player after 10 years in the league or did he enter the league as someone that everyone thought would maybe someday maybe if everything goes just so maybe he has a chance to become a great player?  When Chris Paul came out of school were there lots of experts saying maybe someday somehow if this and if that he could if everything goes just right he could become great?  NOPE.

The best players are the best players when they arrive, and for the most part the rest are not what they think they are.

My guess is that if you asked the average Celtics fan who thinks the Cs play the Washington Generals on the off-nights that the Harlem Globetrotters are not playing them who was drafted first Chris Paul or Deron Williams, they would generally all respond that Rondo was drafted ahead of them.

One thing that must kill most Cs fans is that the two best front courts in the league are the Clippers and the TWolves and that none of them include Danny's picks and that the Celtics have absolutely no shot at ever competing for anything once the BIG 3 become the Really Really Old 3.

Great players are great players, they very rarely evolve over time, and the Cs have none on their roster once the BIG 3 go.

Either way - great, phenomenal, brilliant, all-star, etc are way way way overused and for the most part not at all applicable even though they are used on this board just about everyday.

Some would have us believe that Big Baby is a great player..... imagine the disservice and insult calling Davis great does to Larry Bird or Dr. J or Michael or Magic.......

Suffice it to say that in today's game if you are not the best in the game at your position you are very simply not great.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

Dudder, if we defined the terms, not everyone would agree.  Look at the "all star" debate.  Everyone has a different definition of what's an all star.  You think you can gain agreement on the definition of "great"?   its opinions and that's what the Board is about. On Parker and/of Ginobli going down, there are a couple of things to remember.  Yes, they've had injuries the last 2 years, but traditionally, its only been Manu with injuries because he played so much ball.  This is a year he did NOT play ball with other teams.  Also, SA is no different than Celtics, Lakers, Dallas, Bulls, etc.  Yes, they'll have sprained ankles and strained knees.  But,  SA is playing their big star (Duncan) a LOT less minutes so he doesn't have the stress of other years.  So, they'll lose a few games due to injury, but they are moving out so far ahead that I now question if anyone in the West can catch them.  If they have a 8 to 10 game lead over others, they will not be caught - even with a few injuries.  Currently, they are 6 in front of the Lakers and 9 in front of 4 other teams and they've played FAR more +.500 teams than the Lakers.  
    Posted by Celtsfan4life

They are a jump shooting team with no inside presence...... one and done... thank you for playing.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

It would be hard based on their playoff performances the last four years to see them win with their team. They did it four times before however so it can't be ruled out. I like the Celtics chances.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

It would be hard based on their playoff performances the last four years to see them win with their team. They did it four times before however so it can't be ruled out. I like the Celtics chances.
    Posted by concord27

Wow, just because they are not our team it doesn't mean we disrespect them.  When you are 36 and 6, you don't do it by accident.  Tony Parker goes to the basket better than ANY point guard in the league, including Rose.  He's not as flashy, just effective.  Manu drives and they rebound well.  So, I think you'd be surprised as you watch them play.  They press the ball and come at you with a lot of scorers.   

We are NOT the only good team in the league, folks.  The Spurs will not go away.  They have more talent than most people are aware of and like the Celtics, they don't get credit because they aren't flashy.  Miami, La, Chicago, Dallas have the high profile star, but the Celtics and the Spurs are more EFFECTIVE as a TEAM.  They are our alter ego in that they move/share the ball and they get open shots.  Not glamourous, but very effective.  Even more so when they start using Duncan more in the playoffs.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Hey, Dudder......San Antonio out to avenge a loss to NY knicks in NY.  Spurs at home and Duncan plays 35 mins instead of his normal 26 or so.  

Duncan:  21 pts
                 16 rebounds
                   5 blocks (and many altered shots)
                   8 Assists
     Holds Stoudemire to 8 for 25 shooting, 2 free throws, and 18 points.

Think Duncan won't play more minutes and play well in big games and that Spurs are one and done with only jump shooters.  You couldn't be more wrong.

I'd like to see Lakers for revenge in the finals, but if we get through the East, we may well face the Spurs.

Sections
Shortcuts