Melo Called up

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Re: Melo Called up

If they use him, Doc should pair him with KG and/or Sully because Bass is so often late on rotations, and it is very likely that Fab will need weakside help when he goes for the block (ie, leaves his man open to block dribble penetrator, so the weakside help will need to rotate to prevent the easy pass from the dribble penetrator to Fab's open man). Second, it will be interesting to see if Fab can rotate and provide weakside help when KG and others rotate to try to stop dribble penetration. From the little I've seen of D League, I'm not sure Fab has the anticipation yet to provide weakside help, but hopefully we'll see. If he can, that would be huge for the Celtics defensive efforts this year. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

It should be interesting to see how he looks out there.

I hope he gets 10 minutes a game or so.  Nothing to lose at this point. If he can grab a few boards and block a shot and pound on people down low then he already is doing something this team needs.

Maybe the Celtic Leprechaun will ride on Melo's shoulders & guide him along and surprise us all ??? Many posts say he is too raw to be brought up now & needs more development in Maine.

Could be so but as we are desperate for a big man with all the posts about trying to get Gasol and whom do we need give up to do so, I say give the kid a try. I would like Gasol but not for PP but for Bass, Terry & a draft choice.

Coming to mind I believe many of the following centers were major contributors in their rookie seasons(some too played PF):

Wilt, Alcindor, Elvin Hayes, Wes Unseld, Tim Duncan, Dave Robinson, Shaq and could be more but that's all I can think about now.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bt33. Show bt33's posts

In response to BCSP's comment:

In response to bt33's comment:

hard to argue with the fact that the celtics are 3-3 without rondo? not enough of a sample size for anything and even if it was, 3-3 proves what, exactly? 

as has been stated numerous times for anyone paying any attention, rondo's has drastically improved as a perimiter shooter. if you do not know this and haven't checked out the stats, you don't follow the celts too closely. of course he is a major part of their offense in the half court set. he penetrates and hits open jumpers from 12-20 feet all the time. watch the games before making asinine definitive statments.

those thinking that somehow this team is getting better with the removal of their best player, a top 5 pg in the league (and top 10-15 player), who is an eastern conference starter and 4 time all-star, who leads the league in assists and in is in the top ten in steals, and leads pgs in rebounding, do not know basketball. this team doesn't even have a back-up pg. 

regardless if melo is here to play or not he is a LONG way from being nba ready. he will have little to no impact this year. if he plays he will foul repeatedly and be completely lost on offense and in the defensive rotation. he will block shots and grab a few rebounds, but he is not the answer, not even remotely. true, he can't be too much worse than what they have going on (he's probably just as good as collins), but that's not saying much as collins has to be in the bottom 10 of the worst players in the nba, and melo will not get them any closer to improving their chances in the playoffs. 

the team needs to acquire an actual pg and an experienced big man to have any chance to get beyond the first round of the playoffs. with rondo, and an an acquisition or two (and some more consistency) there may have been an outside shot to compete for a conference championship. with rondo out, no matter what they do though it would take something akin to a miracle to get past the heat. winning a regular season game at home in 2 OTs is not remotely the same thing as beating a true quality team in a 7 game series. as constituted the celts would get swept by any of the top 5 or 6 teams in the nba; they'd get beat in 5-6 games by the rest of the top 10. 

So you are stating Melo will be a BB clone? Other than the fact he will rebound the ball and block a few shots! OH! and Melo will do the above stated for allot less $$!

never mentioned bass. never compared the two players. bass has had a bad year but he is a seasoned pro who can at least compete at the NBA level. the two are not comparable in any way. bass is an underzied 4 and meo is a good sized center who has yet to play more than a few minutes in the NBA. if the celtics front office thought melo could help at all he'd have been here before. again, the overestimating of talent on boards like these is incredible - the people calling for Melo to come help this team are the same people who extolled the virtues of barely marginal players like joseph, smith, christmas, and the many, many 2nd rounders and free agents who have rolled through here over the years. melo is a second round PROJECT who is not close to NBA ready. whether he comes up or not he will do nothing to further this team's chances. better to let him continue to develop in maine in the hopes he will be of some help in the next few years. his footwork is atrocious; his offense is so far below nba ready as to be laughable. you don't know nba talent if you think otherwise, or more likely you just don't know basketball at all and are just railing against a team in disarray.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from srinivasa. Show srinivasa's posts

+1

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

SICK OF HEARING "he's a long way from being NBA ready"

Just what does that mean anyway ?

What about Steimsa coming in and playing right away ?

What about rookie Semi Erdan coming in and playing ?

What about at the end of last season, the Celtics pick up Ryan Hollings and they play him immediately.

I say Fab Melo is as ready as any of these guys were.

Put him out there and get tape on him. Then coach him up.

Let him learn to play when hurt , or with a cold or the flu.

Let him learn how to get on the team bus on time or the team plane.

Let him deal with refs calling phantom fouls on him like they did to Sullinger.

Let him learn how to take getting yelled at by Doc Rivers in front of 18,000 people

Let him learn how to take what the coaches tell him during a game and make the adjustment.

Just get tape on this guy and give him intensive one on one instruction , teach him to watch himself on tape , teach him the rotations and the playbook,

let him play and even if he does EVERYTHING wrong, it will be a major benefit to him and the team. LET HIM make all the bonehead mistakes NOW , next season we will have him as the young big man not seen in Boston since............?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to PHX85014's comment:

SICK OF HEARING "he's a long way from being NBA ready"

Just what does that mean anyway ?

What about Steimsa coming in and playing right away ?

What about rookie Semi Erdan coming in and playing ?

What about at the end of last season, the Celtics pick up Ryan Hollings and they play him immediately.

I say Fab Melo is as ready as any of these guys were.

Put him out there and get tape on him. Then coach him up.

Let him learn to play when hurt , or with a cold or the flu.

Let him learn how to get on the team bus on time or the team plane.

Let him deal with refs calling phantom fouls on him like they did to Sullinger.

Let him learn how to take getting yelled at by Doc Rivers in front of 18,000 people

Let him learn how to take what the coaches tell him during a game and make the adjustment.

Just get tape on this guy and give him intensive one on one instruction , teach him to watch himself on tape , teach him the rotations and the playbook,

let him play and even if he does EVERYTHING wrong, it will be a major benefit to him and the team. LET HIM make all the bonehead mistakes NOW , next season we will have him as the young big man not seen in Boston since............?

Steimsma had played in Europe,

Erden had played in Europe,

Hollins had years of NBA experiecne.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamesandersonwho. Show jamesandersonwho's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

"He needs to practice with the team,and play on the Celtics. Playing in the DLEAGUE isn't helping him that much,because he has no competetion there.

He would be better served to be around professionals and practicing with them."

nope. He needs game time experience, he has only played ball since he was 17. Playing in the D-league is absolutely helping him, he's a two to three year project. It's very similar to drafting a "project pitcher" in baseball and like baseball there are very good reasons you would not bring someone up too soon. 

Of course if he does get called up to play I'll have to eat some serious crow on this board but I'll be shocked if this wasn't another medical treatment call up, maybe he ran into another door...

Eat your crow!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

My point is , all this talk about "not being NBA ready" is all hot air.

"Not NBA Ready" is really about a player making it onto the bus and plane on time, everytime , playing when he's sick or hurt (everyone plays hurt , injuries are different) , getting used to getting yelled at in public, keeping his head in the game and making adjustments.

All these things are stuff every player goes thru. It's the coaching staff's job to help young players make the transition.

My point was (in my opinion) about the Celtics coaching staff seeming to not be interested in having to deal with a young player making these common mistakes. My view is that's what they're getting paid for and too bad if they don't like it. It's more important to get Fab Melo into every game and get him as many minutes as he can handle than it is to win games at this point.

Celtics are done this season. The Window has closed. Fab Melo is a big part of the next 5 year Window so they should use this season (meaningless) to really find out what they have in Fab Melo.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to PHX85014's comment:

My point is , all this talk about "not being NBA ready" is all hot air.

"Not NBA Ready" is really about a player making it onto the bus and plane on time, everytime , playing when he's sick or hurt (everyone plays hurt , injuries are different) , getting used to getting yelled at in public, keeping his head in the game and making adjustments.

All these things are stuff every player goes thru. It's the coaching staff's job to help young players make the transition.

My point was (in my opinion) about the Celtics coaching staff seeming to not be interested in having to deal with a young player making these common mistakes. My view is that's what they're getting paid for and too bad if they don't like it. It's more important to get Fab Melo into every game and get him as many minutes as he can handle than it is to win games at this point.

Celtics are done this season. The Window has closed. Fab Melo is a big part of the next 5 year Window so they should use this season (meaningless) to really find out what they have in Fab Melo.

And I agree with your point. Whether he is a big part or not they might as well see what they have.

I would be fine if he could just grab a few boards and block a shot or two here and there for the rest of the year. If he can do more than that...great.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Interesting tid-bit of news, the Red Claws have filled Melo's position:

Chris Forsberg: Maine Red Claws announce they’ve added 7-footer Garrett Stutz, who spent some time with Celtics’ summer league teamTwitter @ESPNForsberg

Rumors tagsBOSTON CELTICSSUMMER LEAGUE  |  SHARE  Share on FacebookShare on TwitterSubscribe to HoopsHype rumors

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

I want Michah downs up on a ten day.

He was great in camp and has been unreal with the Red Claws.