Melo is an official Knick..is NY better?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Melo is an official Knick..is NY better?

In Response to Re: Melo is an official Knick..is NY better?:
    [QUOTE]Let me remind everyone that Yi Jianlian of all people dunked on Carmelo Anthony in the past (below).  Melo is a poor defender,weak rebounder, and it shows... http://www.thebostonjam.com/
    Posted by thebostonjam[/QUOTE]

This Knick team was never about defense to begin with. The fact is that Anthony is one of the top 4 scorers in all the game and that is what this was about. This trade is not about 2011; never was. But 2012 is something for NY fans to look forward to and we have not had anything like that in over a decade.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PierceIsTheTruth. Show PierceIsTheTruth's posts

[QUOTE]As long as D'Antoni is the coach the Knicks are not going to get better.
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]

i want to agree with this. they can't play any defense.

looks like the knicks gave up 9 players and recieved what 5/6?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

I actually cant believe NY made this trade. Carmelo had so much talent around him in Denver and what? they went to the playoffs but never won anything...if I was a Knick fan, I would be so disappointed..they were, finally, going in the right direction.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from thebostonjam. Show thebostonjam's posts

The Knicks are now the most one dimensional team in the NBA.  With exception to Miami, there will be zero defense played in New York.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]I actually cant believe NY made this trade. Carmelo had so much talent around him in Denver and what? they went to the playoffs but never won anything...if I was a Knick fan, I would be so disappointed..they were, finally, going in the right direction.
    Posted by cabutan[/QUOTE]

The only direction we were going in were that of a .500 team. Obviously that is better than what they have been for the last decade, but you cannot compete for a championship with the line-up they had. And Championship building is what this trade is about. This trade was never about this year. And Spencer, Wilson and Danillo were not going to bring this team out of the 1st round this year.

This is an excellent trade.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Melo is an official Knick..is NY better? : The only direction we were going in were that of a .500 team. Obviously that is better than what they have been for the last decade, but you cannot compete for a championship with the line-up they had. And Championship building is what this trade is about. This trade was never about this year. And Spencer, Wilson and Danillo were not going to bring this team out of the 1st round this year. This is an excellent trade.

Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Why is it an excellent trade??  I dont even think Billups was good around Carmelo, and let me tell you, Billups has some serious game in a team environment..not Carmelo..its like watching the NY Nuggets all over...Maybe this year the Knicks would have been a 500 team with what they had but lets be real, the team was in rebuilding mode since DAntoni took over which was not even two seasons ago?? thats nothing.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GregoBoston. Show GregoBoston's posts

With the right mix of role players around Carmelo and Amare, this could work out.  Right now, they don't have a shot blocker and their defense is going to be a joke.  I do like Fields a lot and wish the Celts had drafted him instead of the rookie we got this year. 

Next year, they could trade Billups huge expiring contract, Fields + draft picks and a bad contract in return for Chris Paul or Deron Williams.  If Paul does a Melo and tells everyone he won't sign an extension unless traded to the Knicks...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waynestarr. Show Waynestarr's posts

[QUOTE]Well yeah NY won't be a thing this year. But just wait a couple of seasons. They'll soon have a big three / four of themselves. I am sure of that. This year they'll just try to do their best in playoffs.
    Posted by MichBelgium[/QUOTE]

Exactly, and well said.

It's not like they were gonna win a championship with what they had before, they were 28-26!! They now have 2 legitimate superstars to build around in the future.

Overall, a good trade for the Knicks, especially for the future to build a contending team.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]With the right mix of role players around Carmelo and Amare, this could work out.  Right now, they don't have a shot blocker and their defense is going to be a joke.  I do like Fields a lot and wish the Celts had drafted him instead of the rookie we got this year.  Next year, they could trade Billups huge expiring contract, Fields + draft picks and a bad contract in return for Chris Paul or Deron Williams.  If Paul does a Melo and tells everyone he won't sign an extension unless traded to the Knicks...
    Posted by GregoBoston[/QUOTE]

Thank you for answering. Saves wear and tear on my fingertips.

The reality is that none of the players the Knicks traded were ever going to be more than fringe players around superstars. And to retain Wilson next year would have cost the Knicks a bundle.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

A great trade for the Knicks, they gave up average players and got a super star in return. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Melo is an official Knick..is NY better? : The only direction we were going in were that of a .500 team. Obviously that is better than what they have been for the last decade, but you cannot compete for a championship with the line-up they had. And Championship building is what this trade is about. This trade was never about this year. And Spencer, Wilson and Danillo were not going to bring this team out of the 1st round this year. This is an excellent trade.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Yes.  They were going to be a mediocre one-and-done team in the playoffs this year.  Now they have the firepower to give a couple teams a scare depending on who they draw in the playoffs.

And they have a very bright future now.

Last word: by the time the Knicks have the defensive big men and bench players to contend, the Celtics' Big Three will all be retired.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WE5NUTS. Show WE5NUTS's posts

[QUOTE]You guys are way off.  Melo and Amare is enough to knock the Bulls out of the first round!
    Posted by rpn313[/QUOTE]
    Oh i dunno i might be more scared of the Bulls right now than the Heat, especially with Noah back.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from walton. Show walton's posts

In Response to Melo is an official Knick..is NY better?:
    [QUOTE]The Knicks had to give up an awful lot, and might have a worse bench than Miami now.  http://www.thebostonjam.com/

1. At this point in their careers Raymond Felton is a better PG and basketball player than Chauncey Billups. {Don't forget that "Mr Big Shot" is 3-24 in "clutch" shots during the last few years.}

2. Though a significant talent I don't think Carmelo is a "winning" player like a Kevin Garnett or a Kobe Bryant and I don't think he is the talent a guy like Lebron James is. Carmelo is like a beautiful girl who wows your friends but when the conversation starts doesn't really have all that much to say.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

Felton was expendable because Paul and Williams both are options when their contracts are up.  I don't think the Knicks are better today than they were yesterday.  Melo is top 3 scorer but he alone is not enough to get them past BOS/MIA/CHI/ORL in a series.  I think the Nuggz did pretty well in this.  They now have 2 good young PG in Felton and Lawson and the rumor is they now are going to move Nene.

When Paul or Williams comes to NY the Knicks will be a top level eastern team but this year, they are just going to be an interesting 5th/6th seed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Knicks will be very good next year, but I think giving up Mazlov will hurt them the most. He was a cheap 7 footer who was playing well.  They will be out in the first round.  They are now like the old Doug Moe Denver Nuggets, and can't win without D........and remember the coach is Mike   ANTONI - he should take the D right out of his name!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Anyone who believed that this trade was about 2011 needs to stop thinking that.

As for all the negativity surrounding Carmelo, the reality is that he is considered one of the top 5 players in the league and their must be a reason for that.

As for Spencer vs Billups. No one even knew who Spencer was until this year. And Billups was playing great until an injury slowed him down several weeks ago. He is almost back to 100% and is the right kind of point guard tohelp mesh Carmelo and Amare.

There is one very bad thing about this trade and that is the possible (Sadly probable) influence that Isiah still has.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]Agreed.  Felton is a better point guard than Billups right now in their careers.  

Both Felton and Billups have one more year on their contract at which point both Deron Williams and Chris Paul will also be up for new contracts.  So depending on the new CBA (hard cap, etec.) either Williams or Paul will be running the Knicks - I like a team of Amare, 'melo, and Paul / Williams because by then the Cs window will be just about landing on the knuckles of Doc and Danny.  Doc will go and coach Orlando and Danny will take his heart ailment and ride off into the sunset leaving a 20 win team for the Cs ownership to rebuild.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]Felton was expendable because Paul and Williams both are options when their contracts are up.  I don't think the Knicks are better today than they were yesterday.  Melo is top 3 scorer but he alone is not enough to get them past BOS/MIA/CHI/ORL in a series.  I think the Nuggz did pretty well in this.  They now have 2 good young PG in Felton and Lawson and the rumor is they now are going to move Nene. When Paul or Williams comes to NY the Knicks will be a top level eastern team but this year, they are just going to be an interesting 5th/6th seed.
    Posted by Calmy[/QUOTE]

Miami, Chicago, NYK, and Orlando will still be very young teams when the Cs become the Cavs in a couple of years.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Melo and Amare appears to be a redundancy with Amare little more power game to the hoop...

I think Denver made out big time for the future of the franchise...they have young talent and flexibility to make future veteran trades...

Love these big blockbusters...

Seems like T-Wolves always get the crap of the trades...they need new front office personel...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bilalkazmi2. Show bilalkazmi2's posts

[QUOTE]No they aren't better. Holding onto Felton should've been the sticking point.
    Posted by BiasLewis[/QUOTE]

I don't think so.

1. Felton is over-rated
    2. Who cares about Felton when Knicks have the opportunity to woe Chris Paul and Derron Williams?  Billups would make a nice player to have come off the bench.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bilalkazmi2. Show bilalkazmi2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Melo is an official Knick..is NY better? : 1. At this point in their careers Raymond Felton is a better PG and basketball player than Chauncey Billups. {Don't forget that "Mr Big Shot" is 3-24 in "clutch" shots during the last few years.} 2. Though a significant talent I don't think Carmelo is a "winning" player like a Kevin Garnett or a Kobe Bryant and I don't think he is the talent a guy like Lebron James is. Carmelo is like a beautiful girl who wows your friends but when the conversation starts doesn't really have all that much to say.
    Posted by walton[/QUOTE]

Offensively, Carmelo Anthony is the most talented player in the league.  Bar none.

However, he has some attitude issues.  Its in his nature, and a person's nature cannot be changed significantly, no matter how hard you try.

Knicks have more trades/ acquisitions to make.  Lets wait till they are done making the moves they want and then judge them.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bilalkazmi2. Show bilalkazmi2's posts

[QUOTE]Melo and Amare appears to be a redundancy with Amare little more power game to the hoop... I think Denver made out big time for the future of the franchise...they have young talent and flexibility to make future veteran trades... Love these big blockbusters... Seems like T-Wolves always get the crap of the trades...they need new front office personel...
    Posted by beavis[/QUOTE]

Denver is going to regress and will be stuck in mediocrity land for some time to come.  However, I don't disagree that they did better than I thought they might be able to, given Carmelo had pretty much made the statement that he was signing with the Knicks and no one else.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from walk2run. Show walk2run's posts

Melo has great offense but so-so defense...it's a wash.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I don't think they got Melo for his defense. His perimeter game can compliment Amare's inside game.  if the Knicks can somehow get Paul or Williams (depending on the next cba) in 2012, this NY team can do some serious damage in the NBA for a good 6 years.

I think keeping Landry Field out of this trade was a key.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from thebostonjam. Show thebostonjam's posts

The Knicks still aren't in the NBA's top ten teams.  The Celtics are still at the top.  The Boston Jam's power rankings are legit.  

Check em' out

Sections
Shortcuts