Melo to the Lakers?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Re: Melo to the Lakers?

In Response to Re: Melo to the Lakers?:
    There are always intangibles. People don't see all the good and bad that a player brings to the team. Look at Rondo, Big Baby and Perkins. You put these three on another NBA team and they'll be considered "scrubs." Being in Boston has helped them develop their skills. Posters who quickly trash Bynum don't watch Laker games. You saw what he did on 1 leg against Boston. When healthy, he makes players like Amare or Howard disappear. Even a 65% Bynum brings length to the table. The reason why Boston, Dallas, and Indiana have added size to their rosters is because of the Laker bigs.
    Posted by LakerFan67

Rondo is NOT a scrub.  He could start on your team easily.  Perkins could start on any team but LA and ORL.  And Davis would get mins on your team, as well.  Dont' think phil would like to have Davis instead of Ratliff, Smith and Caracter?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

The Lakers would not be able to sign Howard when he becomes a FA.  If the salary cap becomes a "hard" cap, they are over it for the next 3 seasons already.  Even if the cap structure remains the same, they won't have the cap space to sign Howard.  If anything, the Lakers would have to get Howard by him signing with Orlando and getting traded.  The only problem with that is the Lakers would have nobody Orlando would want in a trade.

LA already has it's three mega-salaries in Kobe, Pau and Bynum (would be Melo) so they would not be able to sign a fourth $15+ million a year player.

With Melo, they would be totally inept on the defensive end.  They'd also have to trade Artest AND probably Barnes for a big.  They would be doing so much more damage then improvement.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BoylestonBB. Show BoylestonBB's posts

Melo to the Lakers is a smokescreen.  The Knicks deal gives Denver nothing so they are trying to up the anti.  Involving the Lakers is great for Denver because that is one team that could convince Melo not to sign in NY.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

The Lakers know Denver's clock is ticking on a trade. Denver messed up and now run the risk of gettting nothing.

Denver should deal with LA. That Chandler, #1 pick and another player isn't as good as getting Bynum and maybe another player.

What's the smokescreen? NY already knows Melo wants to play there so Denver is fooling no one.

THe Lakers may be transitioning away from Phil, the triangle and seeing Kobe's ability to be a closer fading. This is an old team. They've won back to back titles and Kupchak may know that the hungar just isn't there and he may be ready to change course.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LakerFan67. Show LakerFan67's posts

Let me apologize for referring to Rondo, Perkins, and Big Baby as "scrubs." These 3 players are now good to excellent. I was misunderstood. What I meant to say is that lets say Rondo played for Washington his entire career and Perkins played with the Clippers his entire career, and Big Baby played for the Nets, etc. Does anyone in their right mind believe that these excellent Boston players today would have developed into who they are?

Perkins is considered one of the best defensive centers in the league, giving fits to Howard and others. Rondo is one of the top point guards, great in transition and assists, and Big Baby is able to hit timely shots and use his body to stop much larger opponents. The nurturing and support these three received in Boston from the 3 hall of famers and Doc helped them develop and contribute to the players they are today, excellent complimentary pieces to one of the best NBA teams in the league.

Bynum developed quickly as well because of the Laker environment as well.

Got it Boston fans!  :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BoylestonBB. Show BoylestonBB's posts

n Response to Re: Melo to the Lakers?:
    The Lakers know Denver's clock is ticking on a trade. Denver messed up and now run the risk of gettting nothing. Denver should deal with LA. That Chandler, #1 pick and another player isn't as good as getting Bynum and maybe another player. What's the smokescreen? NY already knows Melo wants to play there so Denver is fooling no one. THe Lakers may be transitioning away from Phil, the triangle and seeing Kobe's ability to be a closer fading. This is an old team. They've won back to back titles and Kupchak may know that the hungar just isn't there and he may be ready to change course.
    Posted by BiasLewis

I believe Denver has no intention of trading with the Lakers but are letting people know they are talking to the Lakers to encourage the Knicks to up the offer.  Denver has handled the whole situation appallingly and now are scrambling – yeah it is unlikely to be fooling anyone, but is worth a try given the alternative

I agree I think the Lakers are serious about this move, the Lakers always go after a star and if they pull this off - good for them. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PACelt. Show PACelt's posts

So what if you make the trade bigger?  Bynum, Artest, and Walton for Melo, Andersen, and Harrington?  If Denver needs picks, throw them in.  Throw in Ebanks.  Throw in the Vujacic trade exception.  Lakers get a center and PF to back up Pau and Odom.  Andersen's defense makes it a wash on D.  Melo and Harrington definitely add on the O.

Now the only way something gets done is if Denver values Bynum enough and gets nervous, because they can't make a decent trade for picks, young players, and expiring contracts from a team with cap space..  There are only two weeks left to get nothing for Melo.

PA 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PierceIsTheTruth. Show PierceIsTheTruth's posts

don't worry, stern wouldn't let his lakers lose a big man. stern would give the lakers a trade exception so they won't be left without a replacement for bynum, nba did it for orlando.....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jofc. Show jofc's posts

Let me apologize for referring to Rondo, Perkins, and Big Baby as "scrubs." These 3 players are now good to excellent. I was misunderstood. What I meant to say is that lets say Rondo played for Washington his entire career and Perkins played with the Clippers his entire career, and Big Baby played for the Nets, etc. Does anyone in their right mind believe that these excellent Boston players today would have developed into who they are? Perkins is considered one of the best defensive centers in the league, giving fits to Howard and others. Rondo is one of the top point guards, great in transition and assists, and Big Baby is able to hit timely shots and use his body to stop much larger opponents. The nurturing and support these three received in Boston from the 3 hall of famers and Doc helped them develop and contribute to the players they are today, excellent complimentary pieces to one of the best NBA teams in the league. Bynum developed quickly as well because of the Laker environment as well. Got it Boston fans!  :)
    Posted by LakerFan67

It's good to have Kareem working with Bynum.  And I'm with you; I think LA is best with Bynum in the rotation.  Same time next year and I might be singing a different tune, but right now I think a healthy Bynum is a strong key to their recent success.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

I guess everyone is underestimating the Lakers. I think we can beat them but I do respect them. Look they've been to 3 straight Finals and I'm not sure how many playoff games Bynum has even played in those 3 years. LOL! You're giving up a oft-hurt big man for a legitmate All-NBA player. You guys are nuts if you think it hurts the Lakers. Who's to say they don't go and get another big?? We can't even get our entire team on the court for 5 games. So take off the green shades and realize that would be a big move. Remember we don't have a Posey or TA anymore to lock down a SF when PP is out the game.
    Posted by BiasLewis

Actually it sounds as if you are a Laker homer to get your points across

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jofc. Show jofc's posts

Laker trolls say the same thing about me when I say that the Celtics are a great franchise, or when I try to look at them without bias. I'm a Laker fan, but I don't let that stop me from being intelligent.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

In Response to Re: Melo to the Lakers? : Actually it sounds as if you are a Laker homer to get your points across
    Posted by OneOnOne

Please man, I'm just giving them their just due. They've been more consistent than the C's from 1985 to 2010.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jofc. Show jofc's posts

Say what you want about the Lakers, they're good at building championship teams.  They'll never be as consistent as the Celtics were back in they day, but they've been the franchise to beat over the last 30 years.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from EliasB. Show EliasB's posts

"They'll never be as consistent as the Celtics were back in they day, but they've been the franchise to beat over the last 30 years."

I don't think it's possible for any team to ever be "as consistent" as the Celtics were during the 1960's. The obvious reason being that the NBA of today is very different than it was back then when there were only 8 teams in the league. Because basketball was not a popular sport back then, the skill level of the players was ridiculously low compared to today's players. Sure they would compete at a high level against the best of that day, the best player of course a 6' 10" center. Just as 7 foot centers were uncommon back in those days, you cannot win a championship today without one. Because of racism, most players back then were white, except of course in Massachusetts where historically integration has been more acceptable. Today, we don't have race issues and the NBA has opened it's arms to the world's best. Which is why in my opinion, what the Lakers have been able to do in this era of big money, big powerhouse talent especially during the 80's where every team who clashed in the finals were champions themselves (Sixers/Lakers/Celtics/Pistons)... What the Lakers have done in the last 30 years is more impressive, in my humble opinion, than what the Celtics were able to accomplish. I am not trying to take anything away from the C's of the 60's, all I'm saying is what Buss has been able to do with the Lakers franchise is comparable to what Red was able to accomplish. 

Cool 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Sure! Red Auerbach never let his daughter become the girlfriend of the team's coach. Only Buss did that.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jofc. Show jofc's posts

Auerbach never won 11 rings either.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Red has 16 rings!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PierceIsTheTruth. Show PierceIsTheTruth's posts

Auerbach never won 11 rings either.
    Posted by jofc

if you count all the ones he won with his organization, he won 16...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlobusMcNugget. Show FlobusMcNugget's posts

In Response to Re: Melo to the Lakers? : I appreciate the honesty.  There is still only one basketball, too.  With Kobe and 'Melo dominating the ball, Gasol and Odom would be forgotten. And giving up Bynum AND Odom would be absurd. Do you think this is a move for the long term to try to find The Man because Kobe can't take over a game and drop 50 like 'Melo can? You're right about interior defense, although I'll also add that 'Melo isn't exactly playing defense, either.
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188

I can see your point about the Lakers possibly looking towards the long term in acquiring Melo, but I just don't see the front office throwing that big of an unknown into the mix at this point. Regardless of their recent play, they still stand a great chance in winning their third consecutive title and the Lakers front office knows that. Removing the defensive presence of Bynum (regardless of the offensive benefit of a Melo) would compromise those chances.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxRock1. Show SoxRock1's posts

Kupchak is just trying to light a fire under the Lakers' ars.  Sometimes the best trade is the one that didn't happen.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Heard two things on the LA radio this morning:

1.  The Nuggets have asked for GASOL instead of Bynum
    2.  Phil is not warming to the whole Melo thing.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jofc. Show jofc's posts

Fair enough, I was talking about as a coach.  Although honestly, I'm not going to go down the road of trying to take away what he achieved.  I don't buy into the whole 'it was easier because there were only 8 teams' theory.  None of the other 8 teams managed to do it, only the Celtics. 

But really, taking away from Phil Jackson is pretty silly too. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In Response to Re: Melo to the Lakers? : Please man, I'm just giving them their just due. They've been more consistent than the C's from 1985 to 2010.
    Posted by BiasLewis

EVERYONE in the league was more consistent from 85 thru 2008.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Red has 16 rings!
    Posted by hedleylamarr

You beat me to it.  He also won them all in BOSTON, not going to a team with superstars.  I think Jackson sees the light now and that is why he is retiring.  He don't want to coach without being the favorite.  He knows its about over.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jofc. Show jofc's posts

Hahaha, hilarious.  He's won 11 rings, including the last 2, in 17 years of coaching.  He's the most sought after coach in the NBA.  It's just such a weak attempt to take away from one of the greatest coaches to coach the game. 

Sections
Shortcuts