Melo to the Lakers?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Re: Melo to the Lakers?

In Response to Re: Melo to the Lakers?:
    [QUOTE]Hahaha, hilarious.  He's won 11 rings, including the last 2, in 17 years of coaching.  He's the most sought after coach in the NBA.  It's just such a weak attempt to take away from one of the greatest coaches to coach the game. 
    Posted by jofc[/QUOTE]

I didn't take anything away from him, only stated facts.  Would he have went to LA without KOBE and SHAQ?  VERY doubful

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[QUOTE]Hahaha, hilarious.  He's won 11 rings, including the last 2, in 17 years of coaching.  He's the most sought after coach in the NBA.  It's just such a weak attempt to take away from one of the greatest coaches to coach the game. 
    Posted by jofc[/QUOTE]
    My two cents:

Phil Jackson is ONE of the greatest coaches in the game's history.
    His genius is he can take a talented, veteran team, take it to the mountaintop and keep it there.
    There is NO evidence he can do so with a young team.
    In 17 years, he has developed ONE All-Star - the immortal BJ Armstrong. There is no evidence he can develop players.
    He has taken someone else's offense and run with it.  Many do it, true, but I think the credit goes all to him for the triangle.
    He was fired twice, and some think begged his girlfriend for another shot at the lakers.
    Lots of great coaches in history: Riley, Sharman, Holtzman, Sloan, Popovich........but here we think it is Red - not a knock on Phil, he's number 5 in my book:
    Red
    Wilkins
    Sloan
    Riley
    Phil

But lakers fans seem to get WAY too upset when CELTICS fans don't acknowledge phil as THE best!!  Sorry, congrats to him, but I don't feel that way!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jofc. Show jofc's posts

That's amusing, I was about to note that Celtics fans seem to get way too upset when Phil Jackson is given his due credit. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Wasn't really meant to be amusing.  Try saying Red is better than Phil on the LA Times and see how far you get.  We give him his due up to a point.  And that point is Red.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jofc. Show jofc's posts

Yes but it's hypocritical to attempt to dimish PJ's coaching chops because of his all-star teams when Red had the best player in the game in Bill Russell. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

It is also unjust to suggest that Red, who DRAFTED Russell, DRAFTED all the pieces to surround him AND coached him,  knew he would be the best player in the game when he drafted him.  Contrast that with phil, who, I'm quite sure, knew he already had MJ, Shaq and koME waiting for him to come and and do an OUTSTANDING job as their coach.  Could Red have done as well?  Don't know, but I am of the opinion that phil would not be PHIL if he had to coach a team from scratch................like Red!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlobusMcNugget. Show FlobusMcNugget's posts

I'm not so sure Phil Jackson was in a position to pick and choose which NBA head coaching opportunity to pursue when he took the Bulls job.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BoylestonBB. Show BoylestonBB's posts

PJ has always had the cattle behind him to win, that said he is as good a coach as the league has seen.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jofc. Show jofc's posts

Again, please tell me how good Jordan did without PJ, or how good the Shaq/Kobe Lakers were without PJ. 

Look, if y'all think it's easy to win a championship with a team that has a lot of talent, why hasn't Dallas won anything?  Why has Boston only won 1/3 times?  What about when Phoenix was stacked?

What about when Larry Brown had the MVP, Defensive Player of the Year, and 6th man? 

So many teams have been built with tons of talent and yet no rings.  Did Orlando get any with Shaq and Penny?  Did LA get any with Van Exel, Eddie Jones, Shaq, Kobe Bryant, Robert Horry, Rick Fox and Elden Campbell in the lineup? 

No, they didn't. 

You're just trying to take away from a great coach simply because he doesn't coach the celtics.  it's lame. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[QUOTE]Again, please tell me how good Jordan did without PJ, or how good the Shaq/Kobe Lakers were without PJ.  Look, if y'all think it's easy to win a championship with a team that has a lot of talent, why hasn't Dallas won anything?  Why has Boston only won 1/3 times?  What about when Phoenix was stacked? What about when Larry Brown had the MVP, Defensive Player of the Year, and 6th man?  So many teams have been built with tons of talent and yet no rings.  Did Orlando get any with Shaq and Penny?  Did LA get any with Van Exel, Eddie Jones, Shaq, Kobe Bryant, Robert Horry, Rick Fox and Elden Campbell in the lineup?  No, they didn't.  You're just trying to take away from a great coach simply because he doesn't coach the celtics.  it's lame. 
    Posted by jofc[/QUOTE]

Again, and for the final time - not what we are doing.  He is a great coach and his genius is taking a veteran, good team (both MJ and koME were the best players in the league when he took over their teams), making it great, and keeping it great for a long period of time.  Not all coaches can do that.  On the other hand, he has NOT shown he can take a young team and develop it...he has no say in the draft or trades, and he has been fired twice.  What I (not speaking for anyone else) have a problem with is lakers fans not expecting us to say he is the BEST ever.  Red took a young team, drafted all the players, took them to the top and kept them there for a long time..................it's lakers fans that denigrate this.  Again, BOTH great coaches, but very naive of you to think anyone will say phil is better than Red on this website!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlobusMcNugget. Show FlobusMcNugget's posts

Quite a stretch to say Kobe was the best player in the NBA when Phil took over in 1999. Now, Shaquille? Maybe.

Who exactly has asked Celtic fans to state that Phil is better than Red? It is called discourse and it goes both ways. Stop calling foul every time an opposing view is offered. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[QUOTE]Tex Winters deserves the rings as much or more than Phil. Without him Phil Jackson wouldn't have done a thing coaching and very likely would have never run the triangle...well he still would have won some games. He did have that MJ guy.
    Posted by tompenny[/QUOTE]

And even the "great, innovative" triangle was used by Red in the 1960's.  Cousy, to Russell in the post, to Sam Jones in the corner - swish!!  Not saying Red invented the thing, just that he used it long before Phil or Tex.  Heinsohn also used it with Cowens, Havlicek and Jo Jo.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

Could this Melo thing be a ploy to motivate the existing team? Phil does like his head games.

Phil is the master of timing.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

To compare Red to Phil you have to understand that Auerbach gave it up while not yet fifty years old.  He built the personnel of his championship teams and then coached them to nine titles.  Red never walked into a team that had the players there to be a champion, and along with that Red proved later he could build the Celtics with entirely different personnel into champions in the seventies and eighties.

Comparing Phil to Red is not fair to Red. Once is a trailblazer and legendary coach and the other is a coach for hire and legendary coach lite.  Nothing against Phil but he doesn't come unless it is already built. The ultimate closer.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jofc. Show jofc's posts

hedley, just because YOU'RE not trying to take away from Phil (which i still think you are slightly), doesn't mean that other posters here aren't.  And they are.  I think you're assuming I'm just directing my posts at you, and I'm not.  I'm directing them at anyone who uses fan bias to grossly underevaluate him as a coach. 

Not just minorly diminish his greatness.

As for him not building a team from scratch, that's not really a mark against him either.  Red never won in a league as competitive as this one, but you can't hold that against him since he never had the chance. 

What coach in the modern era has built a team from scratch and taken them all the way to a title?  Definitely not Jerry Sloan who, by the way, has 0 rings as a coach despite the AMAZING amount of talent that's gone through Utah. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[QUOTE]hedley, just because YOU'RE not trying to take away from Phil (which i still think you are slightly), doesn't mean that other posters here aren't.  And they are.  I think you're assuming I'm just directing my posts at you, and I'm not.  I'm directing them at anyone who uses fan bias to grossly underevaluate him as a coach.  Not just minorly diminish his greatness. As for him not building a team from scratch, that's not really a mark against him either.  Red never won in a league as competitive as this one, but you can't hold that against him since he never had the chance.  What coach in the modern era has built a team from scratch and taken them all the way to a title?  Definitely not Jerry Sloan who, by the way, has 0 rings as a coach despite the AMAZING amount of talent that's gone through Utah. 
    Posted by jofc[/QUOTE]

I MIGHT argue that the old NBA was more competitive than this one.  Russell had to go against a quality center every night.  But, I have to let this go.  Your mind is clearly made up and you wish to besmerch Red's reputation on a Celtics web-site.  I think it is time we let this go, before either of us says things we cannot take back.  I don't even think phil is the greatest LAKERS coach of all-time.  That would be Riley..IMO.  And Red did retire at 48.....then the team won 2 of the next 3..........sorry, I don't think phil is as good as Red, never did , never will.  Don't know what your problem is - I 've said numerous times phil is a great coach - just not as good as Red.

Time to move to a different thread!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jofc. Show jofc's posts

Ok.  For the record, I didn't say ANYTHING bad about Red.   And I also said that I wasn't mentioning you specifically, but all your responses are defending yourself.  Obviously we're miscommunicating so moving on would be best.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[QUOTE]Wallace from Charlotte is whom they are looking at and Hinrich from the Wiz. One, or both of those guys to LA. As for Melo, Nuggets trying to drive up price on the Knicks, making them think he's going to LA.
    Posted by Beat-Boston[/QUOTE]

Can't get either one of those guys.  lakers only have Bynum.  No one wants any of your other players.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from paul0. Show paul0's posts

For the record, let's hope the Celtics can pull something from the back side like they did last year to make it to the Finals and play the Lakers for all the marbles.  At that point Red will finally be put to rest with a final nail in coffin with Phil as the greatest coach ever in the NBA and Lakers getting #17 to tie the Celtics for most NBA championships. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[QUOTE]For the record, let's hope the Celtics can pull something from the back side like they did last year to make it to the Finals and play the Lakers for all the marbles.  At that point Red will finally be put to rest with a final nail in coffin with Phil as the greatest coach ever in the NBA and Lakers getting #17 to tie the Celtics for most NBA championships. 
    Posted by paul0[/QUOTE]

Red is already dead...........phil being the greatest coach ever is highly debateable.  As I've said, he's not even the greatest lakers coach of all-time.  That belongs to Riley.
    Worry about your own team, and not what the Celtics can "pull out."
    Thanks.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jofc. Show jofc's posts

Red was like the Beatles.  He was a great man in a time and place where he could accomplish great things.  You can't have any coach rival what he did because no coach will ever be in a position to.  Just like there will never be another 'Beatles'. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsalas67m. Show rsalas67m's posts

Who cares whether Red or Phil is "better." Petty argument. There are teams with plenty of talent that never win a title. Remember the Portland Trailblazers? Acknowledging Phil Jackson has nothing to do with Red Auerbach. Red was a great coach during his era and Phil is a great coach for this era.

Yesterday Jerry Sloan retired without ever winning a title. Does that make him a failure, an "inferior coach?" The word is that Jerry got into a shouting match with Deron Williams. The ability to handle players with diverse personalities isn't easy. Sloan is a class, a competitor but he was a great coach, title or no title. So is Popovich.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Funny how many lakers fans hide when they get their you know what's kicked at home, then come out in full force after a win...............great job guys.

If the argument is so "petty", why has it gone on for over decade.  phil is  a great coach of veteran teams.  No one is denying that...............

Sections
Shortcuts